Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: D Hop released

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: D Hop released

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think any team has a window that lasts a QB’s entire career.
    That depends how you define a window. But I disagree on this point. As long as the QB is healthy.

As stated above, this fanboy false worry "the window is closing" is purely silly.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-29-2023 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,863 Times in 3,510 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think any team has a window that lasts a QB’s entire career.
    How many Super Bowls did the Patriots win? I’d say they had a pretty big window.
    Last edited by jamze132; 05-29-2023 at 05:51 AM.

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    How many Super Bowls did the Patriots win? I’d say they had a pretty big window.
    Is Allen a once in a generation QB?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,085 Times in 4,281 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is Allen a once in a generation QB?
    You know that can't be answered yet.

But, you make a good point. The only QB since probably Montana, that whatever team he's on had a legit shot at winning a Championship is Brady. Rodgers won MVP on a couple of not so great teams, but those teams also didn't win anything, so who cares?

There's a huge difference between playoff window and Superbowl window. Is the SB window closed for the Bills? Hell no. Will it be open as long as Josh is QB? TBD. I would be happy with one superbowl, to be honest, and I'd rather it come within the next couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    They had the greatest QB of all time, and the best roster management in the history of the NFL, and they got away with cheating on several occasions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    You know that can't be answered yet.

But, you make a good point. The only QB since probably Montana, that whatever team he's on had a legit shot at winning a Championship is Brady. Rodgers won MVP on a couple of not so great teams, but those teams also didn't win anything, so who cares?

There's a huge difference between playoff window and Superbowl window. Is the SB window closed for the Bills? Hell no. Will it be open as long as Josh is QB? TBD. I would be happy with one superbowl, to be honest, and I'd rather it come within the next couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

They had the greatest QB of all time, and the best roster management in the history of the NFL, and they got away with cheating on several occasions.
    I think we’re a lot closer to knowing that answer than any of us would like to admit.

Also what the hell is a playoff window? That sounds like a participation trophy fans made up to make themselves feel better about failure to make the Super Bowl.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Defense wins championships. I know people will point to the Chiefs and say not the case, but I think over the history of NFL playoffs, it is still the case. Even with the Chiefs and Mahomes, you can say their defense stepped up in 2nd half of both of their superbowl victories.

Brady and Belichick winning that many championship is perfect example. Almost none of Brady's superbowl wins are on the virtual of non-stop scoring. Rather, it is Belichick's defense that met up the challenge WHEN it was really needed. With a GOAT QB, given enough tries, he'll find a way to get it done.

I somehow hope and expect the Bills to follow the same path. But we are obviously not close. The bent-but-don't-break defense works well over a course of regular season, but in the playoffs, when there is crying need to get a stop, they alway fails. Allen, on the other hand, is not yet on the same level as Mahomes/Brady, who can CONSISTENTLY provide an answer on critical moments.

As a rising superstar QB, I like Alen recongizing and taking on the challenge of getting to that vert top tier. The D though, we don't have that superstar, HOF-nominee guy in his prime. Can't you imagine the Chiefs winning both superbowls without Chris Jones? The Pats had Richard Seymour, Vrable, and a bunch secondary guys in their time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think we’re a lot closer to knowing that answer than any of us would like to admit.

Also what the hell is a playoff window? That sounds like a participation trophy fans made up to make themselves feel better about failure to make the Super Bowl.
    A team that makes the playoffs instead of losing 10 games every year?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Defense wins championships. I know people will point to the Chiefs and say not the case, but I think over the history of NFL playoffs, it is still the case. Even with the Chiefs and Mahomes, you can say their defense stepped up in 2nd half of both of their superbowl victories.

Brady and Belichick winning that many championship is perfect example. Almost none of Brady's superbowl wins are on the virtual of non-stop scoring. Rather, it is Belichick's defense that met up the challenge WHEN it was really needed. With a GOAT QB, given enough tries, he'll find a way to get it done.

I somehow hope and expect the Bills to follow the same path. But we are obviously not close. The bent-but-don't-break defense works well over a course of regular season, but in the playoffs, when there is crying need to get a stop, they alway fails. Allen, on the other hand, is not yet on the same level as Mahomes/Brady, who can CONSISTENTLY provide an answer on critical moments.

As a rising superstar QB, I like Alen recongizing and taking on the challenge of getting to that vert top tier. The D though, we don't have that superstar, HOF-nominee guy in his prime. Can't you imagine the Chiefs winning both superbowls without Chris Jones? The Pats had Richard Seymour, Vrable, and a bunch secondary guys in their time.
    I don’t buy that axiom in today’s game.

Not saying that defense is not important. Of course it is. But when an offense fails to score, is that more because of the lack of performance of the offense or directly because of the defense???

I’d say, more than not, it’s the lack of performance of the offense. That was certainly the case for every one of the Bills four losses last season.

Every. Single. One.

To answer your question...."Can't you imagine the Chiefs winning both superbowls without Chris Jones? ABSOLUTELY YES, I CAN image that.

The more pertinent question is "
    Can you imagine the Chiefs winning both Super Bowls without Patrick Mahomes”??? And the answer is an unequivocally absolutely 100% sure No. NO! NO, NO NO!!!

The same goes with
    "Can you imagine the Pats winning as many Super Bowls as they did without Tom Brady”??? Same answer.....an unequivocally absolutely 100% sure No. NO! NO, NO NO!!!

When Josh Allen plays more mistake free football, like Mahomes does, the Bills will win a Super Bowl. He just has not.....yet.

That is not dissing Allen either. I belive he is the second bast QB in the NFL today. Hand in hand with Joe Burrow, with Hurts just a hair below those two. But, Mahomes is simply better. He just is.

Yes, there are individual defensive plays that are critical to success in the playoffs....my premise is that the emphasis has slowly but surely
    shifted from defense to offense.

Plus the statement that "
    Defense wins championships.” is a rather silly, in and of itself as it is an overgeneralization and simplification of a very complex sport, that depends on all three phases of the game (defense, offense and special teams) operating at as close to peak efficiency as possible) It’s just just as it is silly to proclaim that “Offense wins championships."

Offenses that perform at an extremely high level are almost impossible to stop by any defense. That’s the way the NFL wants it, and the rules have been changed to make that probable if not expected.

In today’s NFL, I’d say 65% offense and 35% defense.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Your opinion stinks.

A “Super Bowl window” is simply a period of time when a team has a reasonable chance of getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

The Bills are well within that “window” and will probably be well within that window for the next 10 years or so....maybe longer, depending on the health of Josh Allen.

The idea that getting into the playoffs year after year is "sounds like a participation trophy fans made up to make themselves feel better about failure to make the Super Bowl” is pathetically uninformed and silly.

Repeatedly making the playoffs in the NFL is a special achievement. 78% of the NFL teams have NOT made the playoffs just TWO consecutive years.

NINETY percent of the NFL teams have NOT made the playoffs three years in a row. NINETY THREE percent of the team in the NFL have NOT made the playoffs 4 years in a row. Here are the current longest playoff streaks in the NFL...

A “participation trophy” is one where ALL participants gets an award. Getting into the playoffs several years in a row is RARE in the NFL.

You want to **** on the Bills rare achievement???....that’s your business. What it shows is what kind of “fan” you are.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A team that makes the playoffs instead of losing 10 games every year?
    What does making the playoffs by itself actually accomplish?
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 05-29-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Your opinion stinks.

A “Super Bowl window” is simply a period of time when a team has a reasonable chance of getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

The Bills are well within that “window” and will probably be well within that window for the next 10 years or so....maybe longer, depending on the health of Josh Allen.

The idea that getting into the playoffs year after year is "sounds like a participation trophy fans made up to make themselves feel better about failure to make the Super Bowl” is pathetically uninformed and silly.

Repeatedly making the playoffs in the NFL is a special achievement. 78% of the NFL teams have NOT made the playoffs just TWO consecutive years.

NINETY percent of the NFL teams have NOT made the playoffs three years in a row. NINETY THREE percent of the team in the NFL have NOT made the playoffs 4 years in a row. Here are the current longest playoff streaks in the NFL...

A “participation trophy” is one where ALL participants gets an award. Getting into the playoffs several years in a row is RARE in the NFL.

You want to **** on the Bills rare achievement???....that’s your business. What it shows is what kind of “fan” you are.
    Nobody cares unless it ends with a Lombardi. I have zero issue being a fan whose expectation is to win a title, that is the goal after all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Testify DB, Testify!

Some fans are so battered from the drought that they’re content to squabble for playoff scraps

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As we point to the Pats, remember they went a full decade without winning 2005-2015. They made the superbowl twice in that span but didn't win so to me it doesn't count. I don't think anyone here would be happy to get to the superbowl and lose again. Every year you fail to win, is a failure to accomplish everyone's stated goal of hoisting the Lombardi.

To me that is more the window can close and re-open providing the same level of QB is there. Not that the window is closed.

That in itself is a fairly funny concept there as we are essentially only down Edmunds from last year when we were the superbowl darlings and hopefully better on the Oline and in the slot. So essentially the same team now has a closed window?

15. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So you'd rather them suck than make the playoffs but not win a Superbowl?

OK.

17. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,621 Times in 6,171 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gives you a chance to be World Champion.

Can't do it any other way I know of.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So you'd rather them suck than make the playoffs but not win a Superbowl?

OK.
    Doesn’t matter if they don’t win the whole thing. Unless you take some enjoyment out of participating, simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Doesn’t matter if they don’t win the whole thing. Unless you take some enjoyment out of participating, simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything.
    Cool story

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure it does.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

In today’s NFL, I’d say 65% offense and 35% defense.

I don't want to get into extended argument here. Just say that we have different opinions. I'm more of a traditionalist who consider it is 50-50 between offense and defense, in other words, they are equally important.

23. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Sure it does.
    Based on?