Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dome Stadium in Buffalo

Just curious what everyone thinks about having a Dome stadium. I'm assuming most people would be totally against it. But maybe a retractable one, where if it snows, we leave it open, just so we have the option of playing in the elements.

My first thought is no, cuz Buffalo football is played in crappy crappy weather, which makes it awesome. But, would it make playing here and coaching here more attractive if we had a dome stadium?

Obviously if we had a remotely good organization, that'd be attractive enough, but we don't.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

rather spend the money on new coaches

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've always been against the idea of a Domed Stadium. I think football is supposed to be played in the elements. That said, the Bills haven't had a team that can play well in bad weather since the early 90's. Thinking about it, the Bills haven't had a team that would consistently play well in ANY weather since the early 90's...so I guess maybe it wouldn't hurt.

I remember hearing about Domed teams playing poorly in away games during the playoffs, which is a definite down side. You'd have to get to the playoffs in order to play poorly in them though.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No need for a retractable dome. Save the money and build a fixed one.

There is no way in hell they'd keep a retractable one open in weather that is even remotely bad. The diehard fans are going to show up regardless of the weather. The NFL wants to get the fans who like the game but maybe not quite enough to spend 3 hours sitting outside when it's 15 degrees and snowing.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (11-13-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (11-13-2012),Jeff1220 (11-13-2012),spacecowboy (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The weather is our niche. It is our home field advantage.

7. Post thanked by:

imbondz (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is really quite simple...

RWS is nearly 40 years old... That is ancient in NFL terms. Sooner than later, the Bills will need a new stadium. In order to justify the cost of a new stadium, especially in the WNY area, it's going to have to be able to do more than hold 10 Bills games per year. As a result, if the Bills are going to stay in WNY, they are almost going to have to have a covered stadium, or at least have the option to cover it, in order to make it able to be used year-round.

As for the weather being a home field advantage, this isn't the 1990's anymore. In fact, in recent years, the Bills haven't been good at all in the elements. The weather advantage, IMO, is no longer a valid excuse to not have a domed or retractable stadium.

-Bill

9. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-13-2012),spacecowboy (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Build a dome and be done with it.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

12. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-13-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed.

A domed stadium and perhaps some day...in like 2076, a Super Bowl could be played here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

a stadium isn't even the beginning of the issue for superbowl possibilities. not enough hotesl for big spenders. traffic and business near stadium still not enough. no doubt if the buffalo could host something like this, people would be amazingly supportive and show the buffalo menatlity of being good people.

the NFL should try and help out buffalo by letting it host the draft or something else like owners meetings. but they treat us just as the ATM that pays their bills. they treat us like hookers. they just want what they want and they refuse to take care of one of its member cities.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    a stadium isn't even the beginning of the issue for superbowl possibilities. not enough hotesl for big spenders. traffic and business near stadium still not enough. no doubt if the buffalo could host something like this, people would be amazingly supportive and show the buffalo menatlity of being good people.

the NFL should try and help out buffalo by letting it host the draft or something else like owners meetings. but they treat us just as the ATM that pays their bills. they treat us like hookers. they just want what they want and they refuse to take care of one of its member cities.
    I think the latest "idea" was the waterfront stadium that would combine with a large increase in development in that area. Could be the answer.

16. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo has no home field advantage due to the weather anymore. It's actually been about a decade since we have. Build the dome and be done with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are many hotel rooms within an hours drive of Buffalo which is the norm for Super Bowl Cities. Factor in Rochester, Niagra Falls- both American & Canadian & even Toronto & there are more than enough rooms to host a Super Bowl.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dome Stadium would be awesome. I would love to watch games in December and not have to wear my snowmobile suit.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Just curious what everyone thinks about having a Dome stadium. I'm assuming most people would be totally against it. But maybe a retractable one, where if it snows, we leave it open, just so we have the option of playing in the elements.

My first thought is no, cuz Buffalo football is played in crappy crappy weather, which makes it awesome. But, would it make playing here and coaching here more attractive if we had a dome stadium?

Obviously if we had a remotely good organization, that'd be attractive enough, but we don't.
    It would depend on design, location, size, and expense. It would also depend on parking, proper fitting for weather conditions, and crowd safety. JMO
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 11-13-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There was a time when I was dead set against the idea of a dome, but times have changed. While I love football being played in the elements, the reasons to play inside have begun to outweigh the positives of playing in the elements, most of which have already been discussed - more events, more revenue, more seats filled at games, etc. For the Bills to stay in the region long-term, this really has to happen, and it could be a huge boost for the area even outside of sporting events. I look at the development of Baltimore's Inner Harbor as a good example of how some improvements to a city center, including sports facilities, convention centers, and tourist destinations can really be a catalyst for growth in other area businesses, both big and small.

22. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-13-2012),OpIv37 (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry, but I can't agree with this...

Indianapolis just hosted a Super Bowl and they're comparable with Buffalo when it comes to hotels, businesses, etc... Especially if you add in the "Toronto Factor." Toronto is what, 90 minutes away from Buffalo? The closest "major" city to Indy is probably Cincinnati and that's over 2 hours away.

Besides, part of the project of building a new stadium could also be building a new hotel or two... Hell, they built a new Single-A baseball stadium here a couple years ago and the project included a new hotel right next to the stadium, along with an apartment complex that is just behind the stadium's outfield wall. if they can do that sort of thing for a Single-A baseball team, I'm sure they'd come up with something for an NFL franchise.

-Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've always hated domes too, but the reality is that if a dome would attract more casual fans/businesses and make Buffalo more appealing to free agents, then that can only be good for the Bills. There just aren't enough hardcore fans to justify forcing fans to be miserable and fans can still be hardcore by tailgating in brutal weather. Plus, a dome would make for a louder stadium, which is probably more of a home field advantage at this point than weather.

I'd rather see the Bills in a dome than no Bills at all.

25. Post thanked by:

Night Train (11-15-2012),trapezeus (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather watch the Bills lose under a roof in buffalo than lose in LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

27. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    There was a time when I was dead set against the idea of a dome, but times have changed. While I love football being played in the elements, the reasons to play inside have begun to outweigh the positives of playing in the elements, most of which have already been discussed - more events, more revenue, more seats filled at games, etc. For the Bills to stay in the region long-term, this really has to happen, and it could be a huge boost for the area even outside of sporting events. I look at the development of Baltimore's Inner Harbor as a good example of how some improvements to a city center, including sports facilities, convention centers, and tourist destinations can really be a catalyst for growth in other area businesses, both big and small.
    Couldn't agree more. I hate the idea of a dome on an idealistic level, but on a pragmatic level, it just makes so much more sense.

29. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (11-13-2012),Mouldsie (11-15-2012),Night Train (11-15-2012)