Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: La'el Collins

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: La'el Collins

The consolation prize is that John Miller looked great tonight, going against starters. In fact the entire OL looked good, and that was with Urbik starting for Incognito. Just wait until he gets back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Any Collins-lovers/Bills OL bashers want to comment on John Miller? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Any Collins-lovers/Bills OL bashers want to comment on John Miller? Anyone? Bueller?
    Terrific....that's what I have to say. He's really the best pick we've had in a while.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    Terrific....that's what I have to say. He's really the best pick we've had in a while.
    The OL did great and again without Incognito. I'd actually like to see Urbik compete with Wood at C. I think he could give him a run, if not supplant him.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know Dallas is using him as a guard right now, but Collins is a tackle. The only possible spot for him there was left guard. They already have two good tackles.

http://thelandryhat.com/2015/06/01/d...-collins-play/

Again, I still think Whaley whiffed big-time in not taking Collins in the 7th, but unlike others here, I am kind of looking forward to see how the current personnel plays under Kromer/Roman this season. And I'd agree that yesterday didn't look too bad. Or, at the very least, Bryce Brown was running better than he did last year.

I suspect the turnaround might be somewhat dramatic. Hopeful of that anyway. That would be an indictment on Hackett, which would surprise no one.
    Last edited by swiper; 08-15-2015 at 04:02 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

better days (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I know Dallas is using him as a guard right now, but Collins is a tackle. The only possible spot for him there was left guard. They already have two good tackles.

http://thelandryhat.com/2015/06/01/d...-collins-play/

Again, I still think Whaley whiffed big-time in not taking Collins in the 7th, but unlike others here, I am kind of looking forward to see how the current personnel plays under Kromer/Roman this season. And I'd agree that yesterday didn't look too bad. Or, at the very least, Bryce Brown was running better than he did last year.

I suspect the turnaround might be somewhat dramatic. Hopeful of that anyway. That would be an indictment on Hackett, which would surprise no one.
    Again, every GM whiffed on him (assuming he's worth anything, which we still don't know). Even Dallas, who was able to make amends and sign him because that's where he wanted to be.

9. Post thanked by:

better days (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Those GMs passed because it wasn't clear where he was in that investigation. He claimed he didn't do anything. Far be it for anyone to believe him. Players coming out of college don't get to "pick" where they land.

If Whaley is so "forward thinking" as he claims he is, he should have taken him. And then not shamelessly sent Ryan down there so fast to try and nab him.
    Last edited by swiper; 08-15-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Those GMs passed because it wasn't clear where he was in that investigation. He claimed he didn't do anything. Far be it for anyone to believe him. Players coming out of college don't get to "pick" where they land.

If Whaley is so "forward thinking" as he claims he is, he should have taken him. And then not shamelessly sent Ryan down there so fast to try and nab him.
    It was a combo of the investigation and his agent saying he'd sit out the year if drafted outside the top rounds. And considering Dorial Green-Beckham sat out the 2014 season and still got drafted in the 2nd round, it was a real threat. Which is why everyone passed on him in the draft, but desperately wanted to sign him afterwards. Sure it would have been nice if Whaley drafted him in the 7th, he signed, and eventually became something, but none of that has happened (we'll have to wait on the "became something" part).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
    Guess what if you want to go back to some of our old drafts (Like the Maybin one) there are some great players that we could have gotten but didn't.

Get over it, the player that you wanted went somewhere else. Do I wish we had taken him? Sure, but its over now.

Just like I said in the Petty thread, listening to how well other players are doing has no effect on the bills. It doesnt matter, it wont change anything with the team we have now. Just move on
    I agree. If I am going to lust after a player I can't have, I would rather lust after Aaron Rodgers than La'el Collins.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I agree. If I am going to lust after a player I can't have, I would rather lust after Aaron Rodgers than La'el Collins.
    Tom Donahoe traded away the opportunity to take Rodgers so he could get JP Losman. It's another example of waiting until the last minute and trying to draft a QB out of desperation. Like Whaley did with Manuel.

So much of the "other" roster appears to be set this year, 2016 would be an ideal time to take a QB in the top half of the draft to groom slowly.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tom Donahoe traded away the opportunity to take Rodgers so he could get JP Losman. It's another example of waiting until the last minute and trying to draft a QB out of desperation. Like Whaley did with Manuel.

So much of the "other" roster appears to be set this year, 2016 would be an ideal time to take a QB in the top half of the draft to groom slowly.
    Yeah, if only.

I said before, unless one of these QB's has a career year & looks like a franchise QB for years to come the Bills need to draft a QB or maybe even two next year.

Don't stop until they find one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Getting back to the topic, it's interesting that Collins didn't start at either LT, as Tyron Smith sat out the game, or LG where they have a scrub (Darrion Weems) starting. Will he be elevated to starting LG?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So the "dress rehearsal" game came and went for the Cowboys and Collins didn't get the start in place of Zack Martin at RG (an 8th year journeyman did) or at LG (a 3rd year UDFA did). So much for him starting for the Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're right Whaley should have never have traded down to acquire EJ and stood pat with our pick and taken Tavon Austin which means we would have likely passed on Robert Woods, maybe drafted Geno Smith or Mike Glennon in Round 2 and never gotten Alonzo/McCoy. As lord knows our team be better

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    If people want to hold Collins against Whaley for some bizarre reason (as has been pointed out numerous times, all GM's passed on him the entire draft), fine, hold it against him. But why are people tracking how he's doing in Dallas? Let it go.
    1. No one is holding it Against Whaley. Instead it's indicative that the NFL is a good ole boys club. Old men thinking in old ways.

2. It suggest Whaley isn't a forward thinker, a revolutionary... Which is something we knew already.

3. No one is 'tracking or following how hes doing in Dallas'. ESPN, BR, NFL network & others talk about it, write about it, etc... By many he's already considers on of top 10 rookies expected to make biggest difference!
    His play is making news.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    1. No one is holding it Against Whaley. Instead it's indicative that the NFL is a good ole boys club. Old men thinking in old ways.

2. It suggest Whaley isn't a forward thinker, a revolutionary... Which is something we knew already.

3. No one is 'tracking or following how hes doing in Dallas'. ESPN, BR, NFL network & others talk about it, write about it, etc... By many he's already considers on of top 10 rookies expected to make biggest difference!
    His play is making news
    On the bench? Not gonna happen.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This article is a very good read for insight on what Collins and his representation were doing during the draft- and how many teams were interested in him on day 3 of the draft but may have been "scared off"

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-c...-investigation

Back in Chicago, it’s clear that Collins’ draft stock is plummeting; he’s losing hundreds of thousands of dollars by the hour. His representatives brainstorm their options and settle on a far-fetched plan.

They want to see if Collins can gain admission into the NFL’s supplemental draft, a summertime event typically reserved for players who aren’t eligible in the spring. The language in the 2011 CBA is clear on this matter—“no player may elect to bypass a draft for which he is eligible to apply for selection in a supplemental draft”—but Smith calls league counsel Jeff Pash in the morning and makes a formal request.

In the afternoon, Troy Vincent, the league’s executive vice president of football operations, calls back to deliver the news: No precedent will be set today.......

One team rep tells McCartney they’re considering drafting Collins in the fifth round.
    “I’m thinking, That’s the worst thing for us,” McCartney says. “I ran the numbers. If a guy is drafted, he signs a four-year deal. If he gets a three-year undrafted-free-agent contract, plays well and often, then gets the first-round tender and the player participation pool bonus money, he could be paid better than the 33rd pick in the draft.”

In Baton Rouge, Collins sweats out the second day of the draft while his agents unfurl a new plan. Rather than lobby for him to be drafted, they issue an ultimatum to teams: Draft La’el in the second or third rounds, or don’t draft him at all......

.......Some teams express contempt for Collins’ bold move. Others call his agents to gauge their position. Are they bluffing? Six teams tell the agency they’re going to draft him on Saturday, the third day of the draft. “If you draft him, he’s going into next year’s draft,” McCartney tells them.

Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty ballsy move for a guy WITHOUT baggage, let alone a guy with a murder rap hanging over his head

Later on it does say Rex Ryan went down to LSU and had dinner with him trying to win him over to Buffalo. Butr he again wanted to "be close to home" and play "in warm weather"

Im happy we passed on this douchebag
    Last edited by Dozerdog; 09-03-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerdog View Post
    This article is a very good read for insight on what Collins and his representation were doing during the draft- and how many teams were interested in him on day 3 of the draft but may have been "scared off"

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-c...-investigation

.......Some teams express contempt for Collins’ bold move. Others call his agents to gauge their position. Are they bluffing? Six teams tell the agency they’re going to draft him on Saturday, the third day of the draft. “If you draft him, he’s going into next year’s draft,” McCartney tells them.
    Why did he say that? Is it better to be a UFA than a 6th round pick? I thought he get more money as a 6th round pick? Or is the contract shorter as a UFA and he will cash in sooner? Or is the advantage that he could choose his employer?

I really dont understand this. Disclaimer: I did not read the whole article but would be happy if somebody could elaborate.

Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Instead of being locked up into a 4 year starter contract, you get a 3 year deal then if he plays as expected (like a 1st round pick he was projected to be) he would get a 1st round tender offer. He also could pick and choose his teams instead of getting dumped into a crappy team not of his choosing.

The best comparable would be Jason Peters. He was an UFA who made big money once his deal ran out. 10million a year and that was 5 years ago?

Compare that to a similarly skilled player actually drafted in this year's draft- the 33rd player selected locked into a 6 million a year 4 year deal.

A 6th round guy is making not that much more than an UFA but locked up longer with a team he didn't pick- the team picked him
    Last edited by Dozerdog; 09-03-2015 at 07:42 AM.