• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Dome Stadium in Buffalo

Just curious what everyone thinks about having a Dome stadium. I'm assuming most people would be totally against it. But maybe a retractable one, where if it snows, we leave it open, just so we have the option of playing in the elements.

My first thought is no, cuz Buffalo football is played in crappy crappy weather, which makes it awesome. But, would it make playing here and coaching here more attractive if we had a dome stadium?

Obviously if we had a remotely good organization, that'd be attractive enough, but we don't.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• alnilla
    • Dec 2008

Re: Dome Stadium in Buffalo

rather spend the money on new coaches

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

I've always been against the idea of a Domed Stadium. I think football is supposed to be played in the elements. That said, the Bills haven't had a team that can play well in bad weather since the early 90's. Thinking about it, the Bills haven't had a team that would consistently play well in ANY weather since the early 90's...so I guess maybe it wouldn't hurt.

I remember hearing about Domed teams playing poorly in away games during the playoffs, which is a definite down side. You'd have to get to the playoffs in order to play poorly in them though.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

No need for a retractable dome. Save the money and build a fixed one.

There is no way in hell they'd keep a retractable one open in weather that is even remotely bad. The diehard fans are going to show up regardless of the weather. The NFL wants to get the fans who like the game but maybe not quite enough to spend 3 hours sitting outside when it's 15 degrees and snowing.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IAG
          • Jan 2005

The weather is our niche. It is our home field advantage.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

This is really quite simple...

RWS is nearly 40 years old... That is ancient in NFL terms. Sooner than later, the Bills will need a new stadium. In order to justify the cost of a new stadium, especially in the WNY area, it's going to have to be able to do more than hold 10 Bills games per year. As a result, if the Bills are going to stay in WNY, they are almost going to have to have a covered stadium, or at least have the option to cover it, in order to make it able to be used year-round.

As for the weather being a home field advantage, this isn't the 1990's anymore. In fact, in recent years, the Bills haven't been good at all in the elements. The weather advantage, IMO, is no longer a valid excuse to not have a domed or retractable stadium.

-Bill

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
              • Jan 2010

You don't build a new stadium without a dome. One of the major factors of us building a new stadium, would be the idea of it bringing a super bowl to the city. That would ever happen with an open air stadium. And OP is right, don't bother putting on a retractable roof, it will be closed any time there is the slight chance of inclement weather.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Build a dome and be done with it.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Agreed.

A domed stadium and perhaps some day...in like 2076, a Super Bowl could be played here.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

a stadium isn't even the beginning of the issue for superbowl possibilities. not enough hotesl for big spenders. traffic and business near stadium still not enough. no doubt if the buffalo could host something like this, people would be amazingly supportive and show the buffalo menatlity of being good people.

the NFL should try and help out buffalo by letting it host the draft or something else like owners meetings. but they treat us just as the ATM that pays their bills. they treat us like hookers. they just want what they want and they refuse to take care of one of its member cities.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                      a stadium isn't even the beginning of the issue for superbowl possibilities. not enough hotesl for big spenders. traffic and business near stadium still not enough. no doubt if the buffalo could host something like this, people would be amazingly supportive and show the buffalo menatlity of being good people.

the NFL should try and help out buffalo by letting it host the draft or something else like owners meetings. but they treat us just as the ATM that pays their bills. they treat us like hookers. they just want what they want and they refuse to take care of one of its member cities.
                      I think the latest "idea" was the waterfront stadium that would combine with a large increase in development in that area. Could be the answer.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• jamze132
                        • Jun 2003

Buffalo has no home field advantage due to the weather anymore. It's actually been about a decade since we have. Build the dome and be done with it.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

There are many hotel rooms within an hours drive of Buffalo which is the norm for Super Bowl Cities. Factor in Rochester, Niagra Falls- both American & Canadian & even Toronto & there are more than enough rooms to host a Super Bowl.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            • May 2009

Dome Stadium would be awesome. I would love to watch games in December and not have to wear my snowmobile suit.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                              Just curious what everyone thinks about having a Dome stadium. I'm assuming most people would be totally against it. But maybe a retractable one, where if it snows, we leave it open, just so we have the option of playing in the elements.

My first thought is no, cuz Buffalo football is played in crappy crappy weather, which makes it awesome. But, would it make playing here and coaching here more attractive if we had a dome stadium?

Obviously if we had a remotely good organization, that'd be attractive enough, but we don't.
                              It would depend on design, location, size, and expense. It would also depend on parking, proper fitting for weather conditions, and crowd safety. JMO
                              Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍