Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL sets 2023 salary cap at $224.8 million

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NFL sets 2023 salary cap at $224.8 million

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...224-8-million/

The offseason is underway for 30 of the NFL’s 32 teams and they now know the salary cap they’ll be working with in 2023.

The NFL informed teams that the cap will be set at $224.8 million for next season.

That’s up from $208.2 million for the current season and reflects the uptick in revenue that the league will enjoy from new broadcasting deals that kick in during the 2023 season. It also shows that the league has rebounded well from the drop to a $182.5 million salary cap in 2021 due to the impact of COVID on attendance and other revenues.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL sets 2023 salary cap at $224.8 million

Gonna be a tough off season for Beane.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...023-are-known/

With salary cap in place, franchise and transition tag amounts for 2023 are known

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No tags will be used

Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 7,705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills will have less trouble staying under the cap than is perceived.

Allen will be restructured (because they are all-in for years to come) and would provide $21.14M cap savings.

Von Miller will probably be restructured as well, saving $10.68M.

Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, Stefon Diggs, Tre’ White and Taron Johnson are also possible (but not all probable) restructure savings with various levels of “kicking the can down the road” implications. Many of them more than reasonable.

Cutting Hines is a no-brainer to save $4.79M, unless he agrees to a substantial pay cut. The Bills can save more money cutting Hines than any other non-core player.

McKenzie probably will and should be cut to save $2.62M. Same with Tim Settle, saving $2.25M. That may depend on whether they decide or can afford, to re-sign Jordan Phillips.

The biggest challenges are deciding whom to extend. There are three players entering their final contract year with cap hits over $10M.

Mitch Morse, Ed Oliver and Micah Hyde. Longer extensions provide more immediate cap relief. Morse and Hyde’s age become a factor. Ed Oliver is the biggest question mark on whether the Bills feel he is an integral part of the Bills long term.

There are two 2023 FA that are core starters and will cost substantial money to retain....Poyer and Edmunds. I suspect that Poyer is good as gone. Edmunds is the other big question mark on how much it will take to re-sign him. Saffold cost a lot in 2022, and he will probably not be re-signed.

Yeah, I know that several posters here think Edmunds is trash and there is no way the Bills should re-sign him, but that is NOT the feelings with the professional football people within the Bills organization that make these decisions.

The reality is that he is a core building block and critical to the Bills defense, and it will be impossible to replace him easily. Certainly, not through the draft....there are no “sure thing” (realistically there are very few of those anyway) for the 1st round....this ESPN grading has only two positions without any players that are graded 1st round talent....LB & IOL....and the Bills have a LOT of other needs to address with the first two picks other than LB.

Reaching for a LB would be beyond dumb.

Thinking they can pluck a diamond in the rough in the 3rd or later rounds to be a starter for 2023 is a fantasy land pipe dream. Thinking that they can sign a “cheap” FA that can take his place is another fantasy land pipe dream.

Dodson, AJ Klein and Bernard are NOT the answers and would be a massive downgrade from Edmunds.

I suspect (this is not a prediction, but just realistic expectation knowing how the Bills feel about Edmunds) they will re-sign him for a relatively splash APY number, let’s say in the $16M range, but back load it and provide very low cap number for 2023, and 2024.

Could they let him walk??? Sure, anything is possible. But it would be dumb as can be. He is just too valuable to get nothing in return.

Obviously, we’ll see soon enough.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just dont see how the Bills can justify extending Oliver based on his inconsistent play and the Bills salary cap situation. I would trade him now and get a 2nd and a 5th round pick for him. Draft his replacement. Use the money on Edmunds if enough cap space after restructuring.

8. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (01-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://theathletic.com/4139776/2023...fl-salary-cap/

Here is some things the Bills can do to create cap room, as well as the number they're at now.

Nota detailed an Allen restructure that would save them 21.4m, they need to do that move just to be cap compliant.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Hines being gone is a certainty. McKenzie being gone is a certainty.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills...dcc6a571a.html

Tre White already restructured 2 months ago btw

10. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The Bills will have less trouble staying under the cap than is perceived.

Allen will be restructured (because they are all-in for years to come) and would provide $21.14M cap savings.
    I'm admitting my ignorance here by asking this question: Allen and Miller were both signed before last season. Beane had to know this cap situation was coming. If they could have made the deal to be more cap-friendly than it currently is, why didn't they just structure it like that in the first place?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe Allen’s deal going in was restructurable in its wording. One still has to restructure.

I believe Miller as well.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,863 Times in 4,339 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137 View Post
    I just dont see how the Bills can justify extending Oliver based on his inconsistent play and the Bills salary cap situation. I would trade him now and get a 2nd and a 5th round pick for him. Draft his replacement. Use the money on Edmunds if enough cap space after restructuring.
    Oliver is a bigger disappointment than Davis.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I believe Allen’s deal going in was restructurable in its wording. One still has to restructure.

I believe Miller as well.
    Definitely gotta move some money around on Miller asap.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Oliver is a bigger disappointment than Davis.
    UFA 2024 for Oliver.

I hoped for a lot more from him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm admitting my ignorance here by asking this question: Allen and Miller were both signed before last season. Beane had to know this cap situation was coming. If they could have made the deal to be more cap-friendly than it currently is, why didn't they just structure it like that in the first place?
    That’s a question for Beane. And I don’t think any of us here have any idea of what the actual job of NFL GM entails and just how difficult it is.

But, I would suppose that they did not have to do so at that time. The goal is to be cap compliant each year and that is what the main focus is on each and every year, certainly always keeping an eye on the future.

Keeping some restructuring in your pocket seems pretty smart to me. Why pull the trigger until you have to.

17. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (02-01-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137 View Post
    If some Buffalo Bills fans don’t think there is a justification to extend Oliver, what makes you think that they would be able to get a 2nd and 5th round pick for him??? Or is it the case that he IS worth a 2nd & 5th round pick....and it would not make much sense to trade him.

For the record, I lean YES on extending him. He certainly performed at very high level when Von Miller was playing and had many exceptional games, virtually unstoppable. And it’s a decision that does not have to be made this off season and the $10M 5th year option number is more than reasonable.

What we do know is that when the decision to pick up his 5th year option came around, it was seen as a no-brainer almost everywhere.

This was the observation from Joe B. in his last All-22 analysis, and it rings very accurate....

DT Ed Oliver

In a game in which the Bills needed a huge performance from fourth-year defensive tackle Ed Oliver, he had one of the worst games of his career. Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow is one of the best at getting the ball out quickly, so instant pressure would have been the best route to slowing down their passing game. Defensive tackle is the quickest path to the quarterback in the pocket, which is why he was so important to the game plan. Oliver also worked against a trio of interior offensive linemen, including a rookie and a backup, but failed to make noise from his pivotal three-technique defensive tackle position. He provided little as a pass rusher and got pushed around on rushing attempts out of shotgun. Oliver will be in his fifth-year option in 2023, so what should we make of his disappointing performance?

It was no doubt one of the most significant contributions to the Bills’ defeat Sunday, but it likely wasn’t a sign of things to come for Oliver. He has been one of the most consistent weekly performers throughout his career, and in the two months leading up to the Bengals game, Oliver was on the short list of the best players on the roster. The surrounding talent at defensive tackle against the Bengals was well below the norm, which is notable to Oliver’s performance. DaQuan Jones was injured, a torn rotator cuff severely restricted Jordan Phillips, and Oliver spent most of his snaps next to the underwhelming Tim Settle. Oliver received a lot of attention from the Bengals because of it. Part of the trouble with the Oliver debate is a lot of the positive things he does goes unnoticed, and he isn’t the flashy three-technique some were expecting. The discussion is similar to the one that followed linebacker Tremaine Edmunds for years. Those flash plays are likely the “more meat on the bone” general manager Brandon Beane referred to Tuesday. But Oliver still makes impact plays almost every week and should remain a core starter.

A LOT of players had really a really bad game last week for the Bills. That does not mean it’s time to move on from them.
    Last edited by notacon; 01-31-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So easy to applause a transaction from April.

truth is Oliver is just okay. He was better when Von was in but the entire D line was. At 10.5 we are stuck with him to let stroll like Edmunds. Maybe Oliver has trade value.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So easy to applause a transaction from April.

truth is Oliver is just okay. He was better when Von was in but the entire D line was. At 10.5 we are stuck with him to let stroll like Edmunds. Maybe Oliver has trade value.
    That is not even CLOSE to the “truth”.

It’s just not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    That is not even CLOSE to the “truth”.

It’s just not.
    Vapid response.

okay I’ll play.

”Is so!”

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Vapid response.

okay I’ll play.

”Is so!”
    Then you can “play” with yourself. It’s pointless and I’m not playing this dumb game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You started it in post 17.

the 5th year on Oliver will be his last in Buffalo. You need to be a true Blue Chip to get a big second contract. Oliver can take over a game or 2 as easily as he disappears for a game or 2. I would try to trade him or you are stuck with a player playing 5 years and then leaving without any return.

he’s not great.