Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LB Roquan Smith - 5 Years / $100 Million from Ravens

Thanks
    Thanked 7,625 Times in 6,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: LB Roquan Smith - 5 Years / $100 Million from Ravens

Be ready to turn the page .... I doubt we will be the high bidder is all.

I'll also bet he will be used much differently where ever it is that he goes.

Rushing the passer he could be sensational TJ Watt move over *****.

Should I have said hold my beer
    Last edited by Woodman; 01-11-2023 at 09:31 AM.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

2. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-12-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,949 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    We can't afford him at that price. If the want's he same contract thanks for your service.
    He won't command that price. But even at 15m which may be his market it will be hard for the Bills to afford him. But it also will be hard for the Bills to lose him. No easy answer. To me he is still improving as a player. Athletically he's an immense talent. And he's just starting to translate that talent into instincts. Not all the time but to argue the guy doesn't make big plays is ridiculous. He made a couple plays in the NE game that are snap of the ball reactions for important plays like the ball he tipped that he wouldn't have made even last year.

I hope we keep him because I don't think we've seen his best yet. But it won't surprise me if he moves on. There may be better offers than we can afford.

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-11-2023)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not too often contract prices go down and a several time pro-bowler why would he take less than the contracts going around? 18 and change for Warner, 19 and change for Leonard and 20 for Smith. I bet the franchise is up there too with Chandler Jones and Von Miller being called LBs. I don't think any agent worth his salt would let him sign a contract in the 13-15M range. Unless he wants to take less to stay here, I don't know it is possible at the going rate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    I think that's what we were doing with Bernard. But on the evidence so far that seems like it's not going to work. In theory it's how Beane/McDermott want to work though--they don't want to have to rely on rookies.

Another option would be to let Edmunds go, sign a mid-tier free agent MLB that doesn't kill our cap, and draft one high. Then the free agent becomes our transition plan. But it would probably have to be someone who is familiar with our scheme.
    I don't really think so. Bernard was a depth choice. He's the size of a big safety. Imagine playing the Titans with that guy in the middle? Katy bar the door.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-11-2023),notacon (01-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,721 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Franchise Edmunds to buy a year then draft someone who can hopefully be his replacement.
    That would be a very expensive route. Franchise tag for LB is expected to be in the $20M+ range.

It would be smarter to sign him to an extension, with an impressive APY, and backload the cap hit to buy time. Managing th cap is serious business and Brandon Beane has shown himself very capable to do so, while maintaining a contending team.

The Bills have more critical needs than to draft than a LB. Safety and interior O-Line are the most pressing needs. Although, with the draft, you never know who is going to be available. The Bills are in BPA mode more than filling needs.

I have no idea what Beane is going to do. There is no doubt that he, Frazier and McDermott LOVE Edmunds, believe he performs at an exceptional level, is critical to their defensive scheme and value his solid leadership.

He IS one the core building blocks for this Bills team. With his very young age, he is an ideal player to keep if possible. Either way, he is going to be a high value LB for years to come.

He could easily become a cap casualty. But, the expectation a few years ago was than Milano would be a cap casualty as well.

The Bills team and defense is much better WITH Tremaine Edmunds than without. Milano struggles some with he is not on the field.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    I think that's what we were doing with Bernard. But on the evidence so far that seems like it's not going to work. In theory it's how Beane/McDermott want to work though--they don't want to have to rely on rookies.

Another option would be to let Edmunds go, sign a mid-tier free agent MLB that doesn't kill our cap, and draft one high. Then the free agent becomes our transition plan. But it would probably have to be someone who is familiar with our scheme.
    Bernard was never drafted to replace Edmunds. He was more likely to replace Milano (eventually). Unfortunately, he has not shown the ability to do so. The tell is Dodson was brought off the bench when needed, and the BIG tell was bringing back AJ Klein.

I hope he develops more this off season. He needs a LOT of work.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,198 Times in 5,923 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nottie I agree with your draft needs but WR2 is a glaring issue too.

11. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-12-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    you have another season with Davis. Not sure they end up paying Davis so you're right it could be considered a priority in the draft. I like Shakir in the slot going forward. He could be a dynamo.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Not a fan of the bendy scheme obviously, but IMO the only misuse of Edmunds is playing him out of position. He just doesn't have the read and react skills a linebacker...especially an inside linebacker...needs to truly be successful. Edmunds needs to be on the edge. If a linebacker of Smith's quality were inserted into this scheme I would guess we see less out of position by one hole or more mis-reads and less bites on play fakes just for starters.
    I just can't see Edmunds on the edge though. He "looks" like edge, but he's not a contact guy. He gets tangled up and out muscled, sometimes by running backs, he wouldn't have any moves.

Best use.....hm.....creativity. Move him around, use him as a wild card offenses need to worry about instead of plunking him in the same place with the same multiple responsibilities, which I feel makes him tentative. Or as DraftBoy said, downhill attacking scheme, simplified responsibilities. Use his athleticism aggressively.

I just see their mlb role in this defensive scheme as a roadblock. You want a superior athlete with range, and then have him doing too much so he can't maximize it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,198 Times in 5,923 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    you have another season with Davis. Not sure they end up paying Davis so you're right it could be considered a priority in the draft. I like Shakir in the slot going forward. He could be a dynamo.
    Do T have to keep Davis. Rookie contracts are cheap.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not sure if it’s “glaring”. Davis has made some incredible catches. And is an extremely good blocker. He is ranked #33 in yards in the NFL for WR, (in only 15 games) Diggs is #5.

There are nine teams in the NFL that do not have ONE WR in the top 33. KC’s yard leader is not even a WR, but TE Kelce. JuJu Smith-Schuster is #24. So, Davis outperforms nine #1 WR’s in the NFL.

Minnesota has the #1 WR in yard, but their #2 is ranked #50.

There is probably more than 2/3 of the NFL teams that would love to have a #2 as productive as Gabe Davis. Although his drops this season are an issue.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I’m not sure if it’s “glaring”. Davis has made some incredible catches. And is an extremely good blocker. He is ranked #33 in yards in the NFL for WR, (in only 15 games) Diggs is #5.

There are nine teams in the NFL that do not have ONE WR in the top 33. KC’s yard leader is not even a WR, but TE Kelce. JuJu Smith-Schuster is #24. So, Davis outperforms nine #1 WR’s in the NFL.

Minnesota has the #1 WR in yard, but their #2 is ranked #50.

There is probably more than 2/3 of the NFL teams that would love to have a #2 as productive as Gabe Davis. Although his drops this season are an issue.
    You should be sure it's glaring. A 51.6% catch percentage is entirely inadequate for a number 2 WR. Dropsy McKenzie catches 64% of his targets and dropsy Knox catches 73% of his.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You should be sure it's glaring. A 51.6% catch percentage is entirely inadequate for a number 2 WR. Dropsy McKenzie catches 64% of his targets and dropsy Knox catches 73% of his.
    No, it’s not “glaring”. I wrote why.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Funny (not really, it’s expected) many of the same people that said a MLB was a “glaring need” (several said the Bills should waste a top pick on such....they were wrong, of course) last year (it was not even close to a ANY kind of need) are, in part, the same people that are saying that #2 WR is a “glaring need”.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane let go of Wyatt Teller, a pro-bowl guard that they could certainly use.

Beane let Hodgins get away.

Both Bills draft choices thriving elsewhere.

Beane gets it mostly right. Not all of it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not surprising that the same clueless deniers are still clueless and denying.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How can maintaining Hodgins on the practice squad as a depth WR because he was not good enough or valuable enough on special teams to crack the top six WR’s on the active roster, being placed on the practice squad, calling him up when injuries warranted, and because of other injuries that required roster spots, tried to get hm back on the practice squad (with the rules required him to go through waivers, which he has several times and went unclaimed) and the NYG, because of their WR room being decimated by injuries, and general crappiness, claim him.....constitute the Bills “giving up on him” and “letting him get away”??!?!?!

Of course, it doesn’t. How silly. That’s NFL football. And there are many players on a Super Bowl containing team with one of the best rosters in the NFL, that are on the 2nd, 3rd and practice squad that are good enough to start (or be on the active roster) of lesser teams with lesser rosters.

The "same clueless deniers” are the ones that are “clueless” and “denying” THAT reality.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    How can maintaining Hodgins on the practice squad as a depth WR because he was not good enough or valuable enough on special teams to crack the top six WR’s on the active roster, being placed on the practice squad, calling him up when injuries warranted, and because of other injuries that required roster spots, tried to get hm back on the practice squad (with the rules required him to go through waivers, which he has several times and went unclaimed) and the NYG, because of their WR room being decimated by injuries, and general crappiness, claim him.....constitute the Bills “giving up on him” and “letting him get away”??!?!?!

Of course, it doesn’t. How silly. That’s NFL football. And there are many players on a Super Bowl containing team with one of the best rosters in the NFL, that are on the 2nd, 3rd and practice squad that are good enough to start (or be on the active roster) of lesser teams with lesser rosters.

The "same clueless deniers” are the ones that are “clueless” and “denying” THAT reality.
    The same clueless deniers are also liars and not really intelligent and now trying to twist words to make themselves not really appear to lack the intelligence that they so sadly do.
    Last edited by swiper; 01-13-2023 at 05:22 PM.