Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Fire McDermott Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,855 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    Sure, there's a reason.

You put your foot on their neck from the word go.

Taking the ball means you're confident.

Deferring means you're hesitant and worried.
    This can be true as evident when Zac Taylor took the ball to start the Hamlin game and shoved it down our throat, like the neighborhood bully.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,943 Times in 13,294 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Of all the things that went wrong Sunday, I can't believe you are stuck on them deferring to the second half.
    It's just another example of McD bowing to conventional wisdom.

I bet you'd find that teams that start games 7 - 0 win more often than teams that start down 7 - 0.
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Just was asking if you watched the games because your defense of him comes from the stat sheet.
    ???

Thanks
    Thanked 11,721 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Sure, but McDermott doesn't call the plays. A game plan is one thing, but if it's not working, then you need to adjust. Frazier refused to do that Sunday. They couldn't stop anything. The Bengals could've run for 400 yards if they wanted to.
    You are missing a massive reality.....None of the coaches play on the field.

Brilliant coaches can conjure up all kinds of wonderful game plans....if the players do not execute, it’s all for naught.

The players DID execute well almost all of the time, but the few times they did not, it cost them everything.

Yesterday on GMFB (they have been brutally honest about the Bills loss) they briefly bounced around the idea on how much NOT getting a first round bye, hurt the Bills more than any other team.

With all they have gone through, a little breathing space of a fist round bye could have been a deciding factor. They mentioned that the team “was out of gas”.

KC backed into the #1 seed, and got amply rewarded, with a bye and getting to play Jax in the first round. An up-and-coming team for sure, but not ready for prime time just yet.

If the Monday night Hamlin death game was played (without the most likely cause of his malady, a once-in-a-billion hit in the chest at just the right place and in just the right millisecond between heart beats) who knows of the Bills would have won and secured the #1 seed.

But, more likely as the defining moments, were those handful of player ineptitude that prevented turning the threes loses into three wins.

Miami.....Josh Allen, at the Miami TWO yard line, had FOUR ****ING CHANCES to go ahead by 3, on 4th down, inexplicably skips the ball on the ground instead of into the hands of an open McKenzie for a TD.

Despite that, they STILL had a chance to win the game. But, McKenzie fails to get out of bounds and the clock runs out, preventing a winning FG try.

Jets game, Allen throws two TERRIBLE INT’s. Both HUGE.

First one on the Jets 13 yard line....red zone **** up. Second one was even worse. With the Bills up 14-10, Josh hands the ball to the Jets on their own 19 yard line. Easy TD even for crappy Zach Wilson. Jets ahead by 17-14. Bass misses a FG earlier preventing the Bills to extend their lead from 14-10 to 17-10. Setting up the go ahead score because of Allens’ monumental **** up

Despite all that, the Bills STILL had a chance to score either a tying FG or maybe even a winning TD. Even after Josh gets his arm mangled, he throws a ****ING DIME to Gabe Davis on the sideline. At the Jets TWENTY YARD LINE....and Davis let it slip right though his arms (just like he did several passes this year, including the Cincy loss).

Big time players make that big time play.

Minny, the Bills defense does their job, and stuffs the Vikings on the Bills one yard line. But, Josh cannot complete a kneel down snap, and instead fumbles away the win. Later, he throws ANOTHER crappy INT in OT to secure the LOSS.

None of these are on the coaches. They PLAYERS simply did not rise to the occasion. All it takes is a handful of these **** ups to ruin a season. And these moments did not involve the need for any kind of spectacular superman effort.

Make an easy pass into the flat. Get off the field to stop the clock. Catch a ball right on the numbers, directly into the “breadbasket”. Secure a kneel down snap. Don't throw the ball to the other team at the worst possible moments.

If any ONE of these moments went the other way, and the Bills turn ONE of those losses into a WIN, the Monday night Cincy game would not matter, they would have secured the #1 seed before that.

Almost assuring a AFC Championship game (after beating Jax at home), with Cincy and KC battling it out in the divisional round. IN BUFFALO!!!

McDermott (very deservingly) is a finalist for NFL Coach of the Year honors....and some confused Bills fans what to blow up the whole team by firing him?!?!?!

How totally idiotic and so far removed from reality.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's no evidence whatever the Bills had brilliant coaches or a good game plan.

With Burrow shredding the zone coverage and struggling against man, they stayed primarily in zone. With Burrow having success all season against 4 man rushes, they primarily rushed 4, even when they blitzed, they dropped a lineman into coverage to only rush 4. Where Baltimore had success with stunts, we did not attempt any that I noticed.

They did not attempt to use the speed of Hines or Cook with screens, nor Beasley with fast slants.

They lined up deeper than the 1st down marker in zone. They came out flat and unmotivated and by the end were going through the motions.

Wake up, that's all coaching, and it starts with McDermott who is not learning from his mistakes.

6. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-25-2023),Lone Stranger (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    There's no evidence whatever the Bills had brilliant coaches or a good game plan.

With Burrow shredding the zone coverage and struggling against man, they stayed primarily in zone. With Burrow having success all season against 4 man rushes, they primarily rushed 4, even when they blitzed, they dropped a lineman into coverage to only rush 4. Where Baltimore had success with stunts, we did not attempt any that I noticed.

They did not attempt to use the speed of Hines or Cook with screens, nor Beasley with fast slants.

They lined up deeper than the 1st down marker in zone. They came out flat and unmotivated and by the end were going through the motions.

Wake up, that's all coaching, and it starts with McDermott who is not learning from his mistakes.
    No one said the Bills had "brilliant coaches or a good game plan”.

BUT, even if they DID, it takes the players executing. In a handful of situations that I highlighted above, they did not. And they did not even have to
    perform at a high level in those plays.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    No one said the Bills had "brilliant coaches or a good game plan”.

BUT, even if they DID, it takes the players executing. In a handful of situations that I highlighted above, they did not. And they did not even have to
    perform at a high level in those plays.

And it takes coaches coaching what the players are expected to execute. and that's just that. Zac Taylor didn't seem to have a problem protecting Burrow from his patched together OL, and handled the Bills offense without much issue, presumably directing a plan. 4th year of their program, 6th year of ours. They adjust, we don't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Notty you are missing an important point: the coaches are responsible for translating their game plan to the field. Hiding behind the execution excuse gets old. If the players can't or aren't doing it is your job to fix it.

10. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Notty you are missing an important point: the coaches are responsible for translating their game plan to the field. Hiding behind the execution excuse gets old. If the players can't or aren't doing it is your job to fix it.
    I’m not missing the point at all.

It’s just not an either/or proposition.

Read the examples I cited again. Think back to those moments. Watch them if you have NFL+. (I did before I wrote that post). Every one of those came down to player execution.

Not that I am giving the coaches a free ride. I’m not. They did not execute as well as they should have numerous times.

But, I believe some are missing an important point: the players are responsible to make the plays.

In all the instances I cited (that would have changed three losses into three wins), they had nothing to do with "translating their game plan to the field”....they all had to do with player ****-ups on relatively easy plays.....except maybe the Davis drop in the Jets game.....the ball was a DIME, RIGHT INTO HIS HANDS....he HAS to make that play......the Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.....so take that back, it was a “relatively easy play” that Davis ****ed up!!

That drop (probably) cost us a win.

Josh short hoping the ball on 4th down vs Miami, DID cost us the game.

Josh fumbling the kneel down snap, DID cost us the game.

Those are undeniable realities.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not missing the point at all.

It’s just not an either/or proposition.

Read the examples I cited again. Think back to those moments. Watch them if you have NFL+. (I did before I wrote that post). Every one of those came down to player execution.

Not that I am giving the coaches a free ride. I’m not. They did not execute as well as they should have numerous times.

But, I believe some are missing an important point: the players are responsible to make the plays.

In all the instances I cited (that would have changed three losses into three wins), they had nothing to do with "translating their game plan to the field”....they all had to do with player ****-ups on relatively easy plays.....except maybe the Davis drop in the Jets game.....the ball was a DIME, RIGHT INTO HIS HANDS....he HAS to make that play......the Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.....so take that back, it was a “relatively easy play” that Davis ****ed up!!

That drop (probably) cost us a win.

Josh short hoping the ball on 4th down vs Miami, DID cost us the game.

Josh fumbling the kneel down snap, DID cost us the game.

Those are undeniable realities.

Any plays left on the opponents field in our wins? Or are you just looking at us in our losses?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the players are responsible to make the plays.

People need to be put into a position of success. We have two common threads here: the same coaches and different players who aren't making plays.

Our defense let's everyone march downfield then tightens up in the red zone. It really cuts into the limited chances they have to get stops against good teams. The whole philosophy of the defense is to get them backed up against a wall and then have herculean perfect players available to make it work. Well that never happens. The defense ends up getting owned time after time after time after time in critical situations. We also are going to undergo a lot of personnel change on the defense this season -- change after years of bigger expenditures on the defense in both draft capital and free agent signings. Where does this get us?

Let's rebuild the same old bull**** because everyone in the league has so much respect for Leslie Frazier.

This is not going to be successful. "The process" is supposed to bring about necessary change. It can't when your head coach is myopic. Instead, the process at OBD is to generate the SAME results not different ones.

The team won't be as good next season. We won't win the AFCE. There is always going to be a bogus excuse like the players just couldn't get it done coming out of the mouth of an overthinking myopic narcissist deeply entrenched in their own faulted mindset. We won't have the level of talent next season we enjoyed this year. The opportunity has been squandered.

The situation for the Bills in the immediate future is very grave. You have been watching this team for McDermott's tenure and they have been poorly managed on game day the entire time. Our coaches are taking our players out of games. They do it with poor game plans and play calling. They do it with lousy clock management. They do it by being stringent and not adjusting to anything in favor of "stick with the process".

It's about balance not stubbornness. Our staff is more stubborn than balanced. The wheels have slowly been coming off more and more as time goes on under this regime. It's just going to get uglier and uglier and more painful for everyone until we have to start over -- but let's remember we have a QB who can really play on the squad right now. So let's keep Frazier around out of loyalty and fire a backfield coach to clean up some problems Frazier is having. Yeah, right. Wanna buy a bridge in Florida?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    People need to be put into a position of success. We have two common threads here: the same coaches and different players who aren't making plays.

Our defense let's everyone march downfield then tightens up in the red zone. It really cuts into the limited chances they have to get stops against good teams. The whole philosophy of the defense is to get them backed up against a wall and then have herculean perfect players available to make it work. Well that never happens. The defense ends up getting owned time after time after time after time in critical situations. We also are going to undergo a lot of personnel change on the defense this season -- change after years of bigger expenditures on the defense in both draft capital and free agent signings. Where does this get us?

Let's rebuild the same old bull**** because everyone in the league has so much respect for Leslie Frazier.

This is not going to be successful. "The process" is supposed to bring about necessary change. It can't when your head coach is myopic. Instead, the process at OBD is to generate the SAME results not different ones.

The team won't be as good next season. We won't win the AFCE. There is always going to be a bogus excuse like the players just couldn't get it done coming out of the mouth of an overthinking myopic narcissist deeply entrenched in their own faulted mindset. We won't have the level of talent next season we enjoyed this year. The opportunity has been squandered.

The situation for the Bills in the immediate future is very grave. You have been watching this team for McDermott's tenure and they have been poorly managed on game day the entire time. Our coaches are taking our players out of games. They do it with poor game plans and play calling. They do it with lousy clock management. They do it by being stringent and not adjusting to anything in favor of "stick with the process".

It's about balance not stubbornness. Our staff is more stubborn than balanced. The wheels have slowly been coming off more and more as time goes on under this regime. It's just going to get uglier and uglier and more painful for everyone until we have to start over -- but let's remember we have a QB who can really play on the squad right now. So let's keep Frazier around out of loyalty and fire a backfield coach to clean up some problems Frazier is having. Yeah, right. Wanna buy a bridge in Florida?
    Not one word of this addresses the facts that I presented in the three games we lost. The team was put in the position to win at the end. The players did not execute relatively simple plays.

And blaming the defense is lazy as can be. It was the OFFENSE that constantly let the team down. The OFFENSE was inconsistent. The OFFENSE ****ed up when the defense put them in a position to win.

Declaring, unequivocally, that the Bills will not win the AFCE next year is what is what is “faulted mindset”.

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are selling.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like McDermott. He's a good coach. He needs a bona fide OC to handle the offense for this team to take the next step. This Dorsey learning on the job thing is a bad formula for the bills. They also need an aggressive defensive coordinator. Stop playing an archaic defense that never takes the attack to the offense.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,363 Times in 15,494 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's just another example of McD bowing to conventional wisdom.

I bet you'd find that teams that start games 7 - 0 win more often than teams that start down 7 - 0.
    I don't necessarily agree with this.

If you have a good defense, you put them out first to make a statement.

17. Post thanked by:

Kenny (01-26-2023),Novacane (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not one word of this addresses the facts that I presented in the three games we lost. The team was put in the position to win at the end. The players did not execute relatively simple plays.

And blaming the defense is lazy as can be. It was the OFFENSE that constantly let the team down. The OFFENSE was inconsistent. The OFFENSE ****ed up when the defense put them in a position to win.

Declaring, unequivocally, that the Bills will not win the AFCE next year is what is what is “faulted mindset”.

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are selling.
    I am asking what is it going to take to level-up in the playoffs? Are we going to be able to do that with the systems we are currently running? It's a matter of the people we have developing tunnel vision and the necessity for change. McDermott and the Bills would be better off with a change of scenery the way things stand right now. It's just where we are at. Yes, it's my opinion. It's partly dependent on how this season went and what decisions might be made to escape the fallout. And you can't step in and tell McDermott who to hire either that is a different type of powder keg that isn't going where you want to go. McDermott's brain needs to wrap it's way around some adjustments that have to be made that aren't being made. Firing him might just work out best for everyone! I think there are very valid concerns that have been bought up ownership should strongly consider. It just wouldn't surprise me as much as most if Pegula pulled the trigger and tried to mix things up and see what came out. But he would have a plan in place and know what he was doing and where he was going which is a huge hurdle in trying the re-mix strategy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

And that statement is "I don't trust our offense."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Yeah, I'm in the camp of deferring if you have a good defense. Nothing more debilitating to the other team than forcing a 3 and out, and then your offense marching down the field scoring a TD. And then also getting the ball first in the second half.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the camp of deferring if you have a good defense. Nothing more debilitating to the other team than forcing a 3 and out, and then your offense marching down the field scoring a TD. And then also getting the ball first in the second half.
    Easily more debilitating is having the audacity to take the opening ball and effortlessly shove it down the opponents throat.

The like Bengals did us, in the Hamlin game.

22. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-27-2023)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,363 Times in 15,494 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No, it isn't.

And to suggest that illustrates that you really don't understand the American version of the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,433 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Or it could be saying I trust our defense to make the stop and now the advantage is ours.