Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I have a lot of respect for Chan.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I have a lot of respect for Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Lest we forget, the entire justification for hiring Gailey was that he was a QB guy who could win with the likes of Kordell Stewart and such. One cannot hype that up as an accomplishment and then complain that he only has bum QBs. Training them up is supposed to be his strength! If he can't win without a Rivers/Manning/Luck/RGIII, then how the hell is he an offensive genius? Complete clods like Jim Caldwell won with QBs of that caliber.
    Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.

A top 10 pick that he supposedly begged for and then can't figure out how to use.
    One guy, that's awesome.

You think these moves are being made without his consent? If that's the case then he's a completely useless figurehead, and I fail to see the point in naming him head coach.
    Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.

Is the offense better than Jauron's? Yes. Is the team better? The results say no.
    Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-06-2012),jimmifli (11-06-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
    You admit that he neglected the most important position in the game, yet still think he's a good coach?

That doesn't really make sense.
    Didn't Parcell's say that it was like making dinner but he didn't get to shop for the groceries?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    He didn't "hitch his star" to Fitz, he inherited him. As a back up.
    And benched him after 2 games. Sorry he didn't move fast enough for you.
    Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.

5. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buddy Nix.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    He may be one step above where he should be. He may be making some game day mistakes, but the simple fact is the guy is working his ass off. We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

Chan Gailey isn't a bum... in fact, give him a Tom Brady and people would be calling him an offensive genius.

Sure... he's not the best on the planet but his greatest weaknesses are out of his control...

...namely not having a QB and working in a ****ed up organization.

Keep coaching Chan... and keep coaching hard!

You have my respect.
    Really? i would hope any coach would work his ass off for the team and he still sucks and has no ability to adjust in an in-game situaion and goes way to by the book and doesnt go with gut feelings/instincts

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.
    I love the logic. The guy in charge of personnel refuses to draft a QB for 3 years.

But it is the coaches' fault because the reserve QB he inherited is "his guy". Peggy Bundy logic.

Peg: Al I want a computer.
    Al: We're not getting a computer.
    Peg: But we need a computer.
    Al: We're not getting a computer.
    Peg: I don't know what a computer does, I'm not even sure what a computer is, I just know I want one!
    Al: Then why do you want one?
    Peg: Fine, if you won't go, I'll take Steve next door to help me.
    Steve: Al, the guy tried to sell me a $2,000 computer at retail rate...but I talked him into giving me $200 off on this $3000 computer.
    Al: I did NOT want a computer!

A week later....

Peg: I'm tired of sitting around the house looking at Al's computer...I'm going out and getting something for me.

Maybe if this team could go more than 2 years of:

-Picking the best looking model from the Annual Defensive Back Swimsuit Edition;
    -drafting one first round RB to replace the previous first round RB;
    -drafting the "necessary piece" to the latest new-and-improved defensive scheme..

then maybe...just maybe, this team would have its franchise QB.

Or 2.

9. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Because Chan can't tell the guy in charge of personnel "Look this guy I inherited sucks and I can't win with him?"

Because Chan can't just bench Fitzpatrick and play Pigpen?

Because Chan can't just tell Fitzpatrick you're no longer suiting up for me?

2 1/2 years later, Fitz is still the QB and the offense is STILL tailored around him.

11. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He didn't "hitch his star" to Fitz, he inherited him. As a back up.

This is true, but Gailey continues to try and make Fitz the QB that he's not. The team needs to shift away from this spread formation, passing attack offense and try for more of a ball control, (2 back/2 TE) offense geared towards the running game that will utilize the strengths of our RB's and O-Line and not rely on out weakness, at QB. As cliche as it is, use the run game to set up the passing game.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And benched him after 2 games. Sorry he didn't move fast enough for you.
    He sure didn't. Anyone with more than half a brain knew Edwards was a chump.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.
    Shanahan has had RGIII for a whopping 9 games. And I don't know what your standard is of "winning" for Norv, but he's never had a losing record with Rivers despite being a horrendous coach.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.
    Yes, absolutely. But why is this relevant? Again, Chan's supposed "genius" is in developing QBs.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.
    I'm not sure where you're getting 24 points a game, because we're at 22.5 right now - and that includes 16 points we've scored on special teams and defense. 22.5 is exactly league average for a team that's been somewhat fortunate with offensive injuries. Nelson is the only skill position player who's missed significant time up to now. While its admirable that he dragged this team from garbage to average, he has under-utilizes the talent he does have. Right now, we've got two dedicated blocking tight ends and a fullback on the roster, yet we run a horizontal spread offense. Complain about the journeymen all you want, maybe he shouldn't lean on them so much.

Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.
    Parcells was overridden by Bob Kraft, not the Pats' GM. And the issue was about finding weapons FOR the franchise QB rather than finding a franchise QB himself. If Chan is in there asking for a QB and they are instead drafting Dareus and Gilmore, then yes, he's a useless figurehead. I like Dareus and Gilmore a lot, but QBs are so much more important I would trade them both today to get one.

Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...
    Wanny was a good ol' boy hire from their time together at Miami. Why doesn't Chan get a share of the blame for bringing him in, then?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

15. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,436 Times in 7,061 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Chan thought he could win with Fitz. After looking at Fitz's nos. last year , Chan most likely thought that all he had to do was bring down Fitz's TO's , run the ball , having a great D and all will be dandy.

Little did he know that the D would suck and that our offense would have to depend on Fitz throwing the ball again when the team is behind because the D sucks.

Chan is an idiot if he hasn't realized yet that you need to a qb who can hit deep balls when teams stack the short to medium game. Teams already know that you DARE Fitz's to beat them with the deep ball.

17. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

what is the argument in this thread again? everyone is making good points, but i sense a bit of "i'm right, you are wrong" tone. i think everyone is nailing it.

plain and simple:

1. players are underperforming
    2. coaching isn't fixing it or helping correct it.
    3. some positions aren't up to snuff for hte scheme they are runnig. it could be marginally better if they changed to the skill set of the tema.
    4, it also could be worse.

all that leads up to no playoffs and the standard of just IR everyone after week8 and getting no names to fill in the spots, has grown tired. you can't step in dog **** and replace the laces. usually you need new shoes. the bills need new shoes and that means starting with russ and everyone on down needs to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My favorite stat ever that I was able to find was how the Bills are the only team that doesn't have a 1st and 2nd round pick devoted to the TE/WR/QB position. That's a joke. We have seen what Gailey can do with marginal talent. It isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Unfortunately, it just isn't good enough. I guess what I'm trying to say is Gailey has proven he can do more with less, but his more isn't good enough at the NFL level. Maybe, if we gave him someone not from Harvard or a bunch of undrafted Rudy-like WRs, the offense would be better. So, when fans are angry that Chan is still here after week 17, the Bills will declare they are looking for a highly touted college QB, which will make all the draft prognosticators in Buffalo have a hard-on and forget Gailey just lost more games than Jauron.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-b...re-gailey.html

gailey actually gets it he just needs more talent

i think 2013 we get a 1st round qb i count only 4 teams in nfl dont have qb in place like us

Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,197 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Last week after the game Chan said the Texans didn't run the defense they expected them to run so the offense didn't know what to do. That is all I needed to hear to put the nail in the coffin. That he's even on the sidelines this week is a travesty.

21. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (11-07-2012)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Last week after the game Chan said the Texans didn't run the defense they expected them to run so the offense didn't know what to do. That is all I needed to hear to put the nail in the coffin. That he's even on the sidelines this week is a travesty.
    Can you imagine how rude they were to change their defense and try to confuse the QB? Thank god we are too civilized to try that.

Savages.

23. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,197 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Chan should be a golf coach or something...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    He sure didn't. Anyone with more than half a brain knew Edwards was a chump.
    Nix tells him to make do with what he's got. Those are his guys.
    Chan knows he's ****, but if he puts Trent on the bench he'll be on the team for a few seasons.
    So he starts him to prove a point. Benches him after EVERYBODY knows he's **** and tells Nix the bum will never see the field again.

There's no way a GM is cutting his starting QB 2 weeks into the season if the coach had wanted him on the team in the preseason.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Nix tells him to make do with what he's got. Those are his guys.
    Chan knows he's ****, but if he puts Trent on the bench he'll be on the team for a few seasons.
    So he starts him to prove a point. Benches him after EVERYBODY knows he's **** and tells Nix the bum will never see the field again.
    I see. Everything is evidence that Chan's a genius. Even when he lays an egg. Gotcha.

You people don't understand. Gailey is a moron. He was an utter failure at GaTech. He is an utter failure with the Bills. He sucks.

Just keep reminding yourself. 2-12. 2-12. 2-12.

Son to be 2-16. 2-16. 2-16.

There's no way a GM is cutting his starting QB 2 weeks into the season if the coach had wanted him on the team in the preseason.
    He was only the starter because Chan made him the starter. He was benched for the last 7 games of 2009. As of the end of the season, Fitz was the starter.
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    All kinds of success? Who has had all kinds of success elsewhere that didn't have success here?

Don't even mention Donte Whitner, he's the same guy in SF as he was here...he's just hidden better among more talented players.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it's immaterial to point out that he's been a downgrade since the last regime, which he most certainly has, because it doesn't fit your argument.
    Marc Ross, Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell are all doing pretty good job with the Giants.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,910 Times in 5,302 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hey Gil... How'd Buddy's rebuilt D do today?