Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Has Pegula come out and said he is paying for a stadium on his own? If he is looking for any public money, things like retractable roof or even a roof at all can get slashed to reduce to cost on the stadium. Now if he is paying for it? I believe football is meant to be played in the elements. Open air for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Has Pegula come out and said he is paying for a stadium on his own? If he is looking for any public money, things like retractable roof or even a roof at all can get slashed to reduce to cost on the stadium. Now if he is paying for it? I believe football is meant to be played in the elements. Open air for me.
    It will be a combination of him, private (Delaware North) and public funds, offset in part by PSLs.

3. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (12-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

pegula said that it was made clear upon purchase that a new stadium is needed, and they will move forward with that.

as he builds up downtown, i think he wants to have more things come through buffalo. a dome ensures that.

in the end, it will matter about costs. can a dome be put on with taxpayers willing to see that it's open more than 8 weekends a year? if not, we will get an open air stadium. if retractable is too muhc, but people see a value in a year round building,

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I want a new stadium, with a retractable roof. I've sat through enough 35 and rain games in my time as a season ticket holder where it's old now.

The team has no advantage these days in snow, so you might as well become modern and get a retractable roof. That also opens tons of options for year round use.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,949 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'd be happy with an open air stadium in the same spot but the economics of the league have changed and it simply won't work.
    In the end this is a math problem that Peg will do. You have some revenue gains with a dome that are probably pretty significant but on the other hand a retractable dome doubles the cost. The Cowboys can make that investment with confidence but Buffalo ain't Dallas. That's Peg's challenge. Sure he has a huge billfold but he's a businessman, the math has to work and he's going to be running the numbers. Does it? I don't know. I'm skeptical the state is going to pony up anything for the building itself, infrastructure yes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Terry doesn't do anything on the cheap.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Terry doesn't do anything on the cheap.
    But pretty sure he drills for gas where he knows there's gas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lambeau Field seems to do pretty well without a dome and with tailgating

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just an aside, the OP is wrong about the Vikings new stadium. It's going to be a fixed roof stadium. For all the reasons that people are giving for a dome in Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Dome or nothing.
    Sorry but sitting in the cold sucks.
    AMEN!!

Coming from someone (ME) who has not missed a home game in 14 straight seasons sitting out in the cold freaking BLOWS!!!!!! SICK OF IT.

I went to the Detroit game and I can tell you the home field advantage we get from the noise of a dome is a HELL of a lot more than cold weather.

Do the people who talk as if the cold is an advantage to the Bills ever sit back and realize that 90% of our own players come from the south and are not used to the cold weather? THINK PEOPLE.

12. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Forget about the football side for a moment, a dome or retractable roof stadium makes the venue usable year round and generates revenue. That's a huge plus for the local economy.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

14. Post thanked by:

Uncle Jesse (12-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't particularly like the idea of a dome, but it makes too much sense. The arguments to build another open-air stadium are just too weak.

I would also imagine that playing in a dome would help make the Bills more appealing to free agents.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Once you have a retractable dome, who decides when to open it? Do the Bills get to decide or does the league? Just thinking if you had a game you really needed against the fins if you could leave it open just to mess with them

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    But pretty sure he drills for gas where he knows there's gas

This post is like one of Letterman's pencils that have erasers on both ends. (No point).

18. Post thanked by:

better days (12-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    This post is like one of Letterman's pencils that have erasers on both ends. (No point).
    then you should love it, most of yours don't. The point is Peg didn't get rich by being stupid. If you have some inside info on what his plans are please share. If not you're speculating like the rest of us, just in a more arrogant way.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think any realistic chance of an open-air stadium ended with that mega blizzard that cost us a home game.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

21. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

then you should love it, most of yours don't. The point is Peg didn't get rich by being stupid. If you have some inside info on what his plans are please share. If not you're speculating like the rest of us, just in a more arrogant way.
    A logical assumption would be Pegula puts the football stadium in proximity to the Hockey arena & everything he built around it.

Registered User Buffalo Thriller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm all for the idea of building a nice retractable like Lucas Oil right next to The Ralph, and sending The Ralph out in a blaze of glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I no longer want a new stadium, but if a new stadium is built the last thing the Bills need is a dome on top of it.

After going to the game last week against the Packers, I've had a change of heart.

The atmosphere was electric prior to, during, and after the Bills won.

Even the cheeseheads were impressed.

"This is what football is all about," a cheesehead said to me as we all stood around a fire drinking beer and eating homemade stew.

Packers fans felt right at home in OP.

The same kind of game day experience can not be replicated in downtown Buffalo.

There's something about being outside in the middle of country/rural land in Orchard Park. It's open, not closed in. It's a big space to work with and has served the WNY community very well over many years. It works well, very well!

The local police in Orchard Park and Sheriffs Dept. have been working Bills games for a long time and do a damn good job of making sure everyone has a good time and gets home safe. They know how to turn a blind eye in the right situations for the sake of keeping the peace and standing for freedom in America. Orchard Park is not a Nanny State.

Walking down the street on Southwestern Blvd. with beers in our hands, the police stood on the corner watching us go by freely, and I said to myself, "Thank God, America's still alive."

What would the police do in Buffalo?

Makes the average fan that goes to 1 or 2 games a year wonder, "Do I want to go to a game in downtown Buffalo? Will my car get stolen? Will I get ticketed for drinking my Molson Golden?"

Back to the Golden Dome.

If the Bills played the Packers last Sunday under the cozy comfort of a dome, I honestly don't think the Bills win that game.

It wasn't the weather, it was the atmosphere. Domes are a buzz killer. They're loud, but CenturyLink Field is louder without one.

Football was and still is meant to be played outside.

Retractable roofs are a cop-out. It's cold and rainy. Close the roof. Really?

Who are we? The Miami Dolphins?

What do the Packers, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, *Cowboys, Ravens, and Broncos all have in common besides multiple Super Bowl wins?

They all play in outdoor stadiums. Asterisk next to the Cowboys, Jerryland is a wannabe dome. Good.

Domes spell doom to me. Maybe that's why the Vikings chose to build a new outdoor stadium?

Atlanta plays in a dome. Not good.

Detroit plays in a dome. Not good.

Peyton Manning played in a dome stadium most of his career, and has 1 less Super Bowl than his brother even though he's the best quarterback ever.

Teams that have played under a dome haven't had any success in the NFL until the Saints and Colts won the Super Bowl, and that was almost 10 years ago.

I really wonder what the fans of the Buffalo Bills think about building a new stadium now that we've had a full 8 game home season at RWS.

If the people of Erie County could vote between keeping the Ralph or building a new stadium downtown, I think most people would keep the Ralph.
    Youre car isnt going to get stolen boss.
    "Hate is a lack of imagination."
    -Graham Greene

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Once you have a retractable dome, who decides when to open it? Do the Bills get to decide or does the league? Just thinking if you had a game you really needed against the fins if you could leave it open just to mess with them
    Which doesn't make any sense since all our players are from the south and hate the cold too..

This would also take away the bigger crowd noise advantage.