Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

So this is him vs the steelers at the beginning of the season. Notice he carries his hip, the ball comes out naturally, he keeps his body straight, and he doesnt throw himself into each pass

https://youtu.be/N6opC-DyvBo

vs Titans

https://youtu.be/g1zpTg0vGZU

Vs Dolphins week 3

https://youtu.be/NpftkBOTu-M

Now notice the dramatic difference in the last drive vs miami in the playoffs

https://youtu.be/de9IuSrvlo0

Vs the patriots end of year

https://youtu.be/cI-nbZqjCnw

Every int of the season. Notice how his footwork (and decision making), completely changes midway through the season

https://youtu.be/xcJTPRjTldo

Now i know this isnt because of his injury for 2 reasons. One, his bad footwork motion, puts WAY more strain on his arm because it becomes all arm while whipping it more, and 2, this happens every year since 2020

This is his ints in 2020

https://youtu.be/QuqfspOEo0c

Then you see it this year too

https://youtu.be/tpo8_4A_1Z8

First half almost until the vikings game he looks fine. Then its a mess...

This is the interesting thing. I noticed this towards the end of even last year, and he somehow managed to have 2 AMAZING playoff performances, while completely going back to "old josh" fundamentals

Look at him vs KC

https://youtu.be/d63gipMMUeA

Vs Atlanta

https://youtu.be/YyZ4solTY5E

Compared to

Last yr vs houston

https://youtu.be/6S37BExhSTM

Last year vs Miami week 6

https://youtu.be/B7RhnhRuvWU

Its a trend he has. Midway or even the last few weeks of each of the last few seasons, he starts whipping the ball and not using his hips fluidly. Idk if this will change. His fundamentals each year are PERFECT the first few weeks, then slowly go off the rails. I feel like ive made this same thread each of the last few years too. Its extremely obvious
    Last edited by Cali512; 01-27-2023 at 12:26 AM.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-28-2023),Mad Bomber (01-29-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Very quick comparison i made

https://youtu.be/-6ZvDKnltZw

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One would like to think if his elbow was bothering him the rest of the season he would have focused a little bit more on footwork (and shorter passes) to compensate, but apparently he didn't.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-28-2023),Mad Bomber (01-29-2023),Saratoga Slim (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hopefully it's back to Jordan Palmer for an offseason tuneup in a few weeks.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

7. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-28-2023)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,069 Times in 15,282 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I noticed he threw off his back foot alot down the stretch.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's hero ball. Early in the season, everything was clicking. Josh could relax and concentrate on the fundamentals without thinking he needs to do something spectacular to win the game. After the bye, basically every game was a dogfight. I think he felt the need to win the game himself, so he was running around looking for the huge play and not concentrating on the basics.

I'm starting to doubt that the Beane/McD/Allen combo will ever get us a title. They score a lot of points. They win a lot of games. It's so much better than the drought years. But they can't get past the juggernauts.

10. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-28-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Astounding that this team was two seconds and a bad snap from being 15-1

i appreciate the work and effort put into these threads but I’m beyond over analyzing the past that cannot change.

go Bills.

12. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-27-2023),Lone Stranger (01-28-2023),notacon (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post

i appreciate the work and effort put into these threads but I’m beyond over analyzing the past that cannot change.

go Bills.
    Even if we were 15-1 we still would have gotten crushed by the Bengals. We're just not ready to beat the elite teams in the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

go Bills.

Its not that. Its the thing that made him a star that he just cannot consistently maintain for some reason. He loses it the longer the season goes on
    I made this to fully explain what i mean. Look at his center, follow through, and hips. Its alarming that it goes from one thing to another in one season

https://youtu.be/sbZv3RBsGas

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Its not that. Its the thing that made him a star that he just cannot consistently maintain for some reason. He loses it the longer the season goes on
    I made this to fully explain what i mean. Look at his center, follow through, and hips. Its alarming that it goes from one thing to another in one season

https://youtu.be/sbZv3RBsGas
    Maybe we just need to pay Jordan Palmer to be on our staff and coach Josh all year.

16. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,284 Times in 3,776 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm starting to doubt that the Beane/McD/Allen combo will ever get us a title. They score a lot of points. They win a lot of games. It's so much better than the drought years. But they can't get past the juggernauts.
    Should have let McD go last year after the 13 seconds and promoted Daboll.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Should have let McD go last year after the 13 seconds and promoted Daboll.
    In hindsight, I agree with you. At the time, no one would have made that call. In January of 2022, McD had us in the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, with 2 straight division titles and 3 wins in playoff games, after a 17 year playoff drought. And, I remember people questioning Daboll's playcalling, and we had no idea at the time that he'd be a good head coach.

Knowing what we know now, about the Bills choking in the playoffs again and Daboll resurrecting the Giants overnight, I'd go back in time and fire McD in favor of Daboll in a second. In the moment, though, it just wouldn't have made sense.

19. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

go Bills.
    I agree, we should just cut or trade Allen, eat his cap hit and try for 17 years to find his replacement. We all know he sucks!

While we’re at it, fire this entire coaching staff and bring in Lovie Smith, he’s got a lot of NFL experience cause no other experienced coach will come to Buffalo!
    Last edited by kgun12; 01-27-2023 at 10:20 AM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

21. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    I agree, we should just cut or trade Allen, eat his cap hit and try for 17 years to find his replacement. We all know he sucks!
    Or, maybe Josh and the coaches can pay more attention to his footwork over the course of the season?

Pointing out that a player can do something better doesn't mean someone wants him off the team. FFS.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's hero ball. Early in the season, everything was clicking. Josh could relax and concentrate on the fundamentals without thinking he needs to do something spectacular to win the game. After the bye, basically every game was a dogfight. I think he felt the need to win the game himself, so he was running around looking for the huge play and not concentrating on the basics.
    I agree with Op here. Add the fact that Josh is consistently under pressure behind a crap OL, and the situation is exasperated even further.

24. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-28-2023),OpIv37 (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Or, maybe Josh and the coaches can pay more attention to his footwork over the course of the season?

Pointing out that a player can do something better doesn't mean someone wants him off the team. FFS.
    How about he should have been selfish and said f**k the season and sat out after he hurt his elbow. Oh course his throwing motion and footwork changed!

Yes, the OC should go, but hell you guys especially you can’t stand winning . Did the season end the way we hoped, no. But the endless attacks on the best quarterback we’ve had since Kelly, a coach that has brought a winning attitude back to this team. Do they need to change some things yes, but how about acknowledging that Allen played hurt and probably shouldn’t have, at the very least he should have not played for 3-4 weeks after the injury.
    Yes there needs to be some things fixed and/or changed, but again the endless attacks but a few on Allen is crazy. I’m waiting for the annual thread to start that we could have had Mahomes!

Will he ever bring us a SB win who knows, but I’ll take my chances
    free agents that want to be hear,
    Last edited by kgun12; 01-27-2023 at 10:33 AM.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    How about he should have been selfish and said f**k the season and sat out after he hurt his elbow. Oh course his throwing motion and footwork changed!

Yes, the OC should go, but hell you guys especially you can’t stand winning . Did the season end the way we hoped, no. But the endless attacks on the best quarterback we’ve had since Kelly, a coach that has brought a winning attitude back to this team. Do they need to change some things yes, but how about acknowledging that Allen played hurt and probably shouldn’t have, at the very least he should have not played for 3-4 weeks after the injury.
    Yes there needs to be some things fixed and/or changed, but again the endless attacks but a few on Allen is crazy. I’m waiting for the annual thread to start that we could have had Mahomes!

Will he ever bring us a SB win who knows, but I’ll take my chances
    free agents that want to be hear,
    I disagree. If OP can do this analysis then so can a coach -- which means they don't work the issue. They don't coach up Josh Allen in favor of their Allen or bust attitude.

Do you doubt that is true? Then why does the same behavior continue to happen like it is groundhog day?

McDermott is very slow to adjust. He is narrowminded and loyal to a fault. This team is not going to rise to the top under his leadership until HE changes. He's not changing. It's time to sever and move onto someone who will coach Allen about constraints and not being a haphazard wreck.

28. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,284 Times in 3,776 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In hindsight, I agree with you. At the time, no one would have made that call. In January of 2022, McD had us in the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, with 2 straight division titles and 3 wins in playoff games, after a 17 year playoff drought. And, I remember people questioning Daboll's playcalling, and we had no idea at the time that he'd be a good head coach.

Knowing what we know now, about the Bills choking in the playoffs again and Daboll resurrecting the Giants overnight, I'd go back in time and fire McD in favor of Daboll in a second. In the moment, though, it just wouldn't have made sense.
    Yeah, I think I called for this a year ago without even knowing Daboll would have the year he did. Anyway...Allen's success earlier this year was mostly a carry over from last year and Daboll. Now we're stuck with a defensive HC and the top offensive coach whi is a lunatic new guy. Allen surely won't peak with that leadership.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I disagree. If OP can do this analysis then so can a coach -- which means they don't work the issue. They don't coach up Josh Allen in favor of their Allen or bust attitude.

Do you doubt that is true? Then why does the same behavior continue to happen like it is groundhog day?

McDermott is very slow to adjust. He is narrowminded and loyal to a fault. This team is not going to rise to the top under his leadership until HE changes. He's not changing. It's time to sever and move onto someone who will coach Allen about constraints and not being a haphazard wreck.
    Nope everything Op said is correct, but all these threads and posts about his play are over the top, especially a few posters and not names Op. I would blame his footwork and throwing motion on his injury, OC/QB coach and yes Josh. Again, Josh probably shouldn’t have played 3 or 4 games right after the injury. Yes he could throw but at what cost, exactly what we are talking about in this thread. I have seen posts that Josh is even responsible for Davis’s catch percentage drop even though Beasley and Diggs were above league average.

What scares the hell out of me is his confidence. Go back and watch a few plays from the first couple games, then watch them after the injury and especially the last couple game when he was taking those sacks He has the look as Losman, and Johnson at the end, confused, deer in the headlights and unconfident

Hopefully he heals up, gets some good coaching and advice and most importantly, some O-line help!

BTW, does anyone think Josh is okay with his deficiencies?

31. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody's whining about his footwork when he's throwing 60 yard dimes off of his back foot, on the run.

33. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)