Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Thanks
    Thanked 5,285 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Nobody's whining about his footwork when he's throwing 60 yard dimes off of his back foot, on the run.
    So once a game?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,236 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    So once a game?
    He's making throws off of his back foot way more than once a game, you know this.

The point is, nobody complains about his footwork or mechanics when he's making plays. I'd be willing to guess that his injury affected him more than he's said, and was probably a factor in said bad footwork. He mentioned having to change his arm motion to avoid pain, which is kind of un heard of really.

3. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    Nope everything Op said is correct, but all these threads and posts about his play are over the top, especially a few posters and not names Op. I would blame his footwork and throwing motion on his injury, OC/QB coach and yes Josh. Again, Josh probably shouldn’t have played 3 or 4 games right after the injury. Yes he could throw but at what cost, exactly what we are talking about in this thread. I have seen posts that Josh is even responsible for Davis’s catch percentage drop even though Beasley and Diggs were above league average.

What scares the hell out of me is his confidence. Go back and watch a few plays from the first couple games, then watch them after the injury and especially the last couple game when he was taking those sacks He has the look as Losman, and Johnson at the end, confused, deer in the headlights and unconfident

Hopefully he heals up, gets some good coaching and advice and most importantly, some O-line help!

BTW, does anyone think Josh is okay with his deficiencies?
    Josh is not ok.

The kid no one wanted from a places no one cares about to sudden adulation with no coaching support system, sketchy scheme, and a porous and troubled OL.

Yeah his career is in trouble. The faster the rise the faster the fall.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 01-27-2023 at 03:02 PM.

5. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's making throws off of his back foot way more than once a game, you know this.

The point is, nobody complains about his footwork or mechanics when he's making plays. I'd be willing to guess that his injury affected him more than he's said, and was probably a factor in said bad footwork. He mentioned having to change his arm motion to avoid pain, which is kind of un heard of really.
    Here's the problem with that thought process: Anyone who has ever thrown a baseball or football knows that the throwing motion uses the whole body, not just the arm. Josh is one of the few people on the planet who can get away with throwing solely with his arm. But, if his footwork is bad, that means his feet and body aren't assisting with the throw, so his arm is working harder.

It's counterintuitive. If his arm is hurting, setting his feet and using a proper throwing motion means it's easier on his arm.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Here's the problem with that thought process: Anyone who has ever thrown a baseball or football knows that the throwing motion uses the whole body, not just the arm. Josh is one of the few people on the planet who can get away with throwing solely with his arm. But, if his footwork is bad, that means his feet and body aren't assisting with the throw, so his arm is working harder.

It's counterintuitive. If his arm is hurting, setting his feet and using a proper throwing motion means it's easier on his arm.
    Sure, but you can't just change that mid season.

I'm sure he will look at his film this offseason, and make corrections.

To me, it's a combination of a few things. 1.) his injury. It made his footwork flaws stand out even more. He's never had the best footwork, let's be honest it's not just this year.

2.) The protection has been bad. He took a lot of big hits down the stretch, and I think it got him to evacuate the pocket too early on many occasions. I think being under duress so often made him under duress almost all the time. If that makes sense. He felt pressure even during the few times there wasn't any, causing him to rush throws, hence bad footwork, etc.

Is it correctable? Yes. He's shown that he has the unique ability to improve his mechanics, etc. Will his footwork ever be textbook? I highly doubt it.

8. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, but you can't just change that mid season.

I'm sure he will look at his film this offseason, and make corrections.

To me, it's a combination of a few things. 1.) his injury. It made his footwork flaws stand out even more. He's never had the best footwork, let's be honest it's not just this year.

2.) The protection has been bad. He took a lot of big hits down the stretch, and I think it got him to evacuate the pocket too early on many occasions. I think being under duress so often made him under duress almost all the time. If that makes sense. He felt pressure even during the few times there wasn't any, causing him to rush throws, hence bad footwork, etc.

Is it correctable? Yes. He's shown that he has the unique ability to improve his mechanics, etc. Will his footwork ever be textbook? I highly doubt it.
    You just pointed out he made a change mid-season to avoid pain.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Still think his head was a bigger problem than his elbow or the play-calling.

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-27-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Yes

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You are in Camp Dorsey? Play calling was awesome?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wasn’t Josh the hands down favorite for MVP by almost everyone on the board and the national media until around week 9-10? I also think we were the SB Champions until that same point by all the same aforementioned people. Then Josh hurt his elbow and everything change, right ir wrong? Now his career is in b trouble, WOW!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You just pointed out he made a change mid-season to avoid pain.
    Yeah, in arm angle, because HE COULDNT THROW normally.

You are comparing apples to oranges, as usual

16. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Firstly. Footwork is the one thing that EVERYONE acknowledges was the biggest difference from year 3 to year 4. Every year he goes through a stretch where he goes up and down, while its usually around the time where his footwork goes from how it is in the beginning of the year, to year 2 Josh fundamentals. Year 2 josh still made all these incredible plays a few times a game, but hes his best when he's consistently using the footwork that palmer gave him

I even showed some plays of good footwork with ints and bad footwork with tds. Its the consistency im talking about. Most of his worst plays or most innacurate games, are the ones where his footwork isn't consistent all game. Every year his footwork is extremely consistent through the first 4-5 weeks, and thats the time where hes usually playing the best he did all season

Yes he gets away with it. The KC and New England playoff game it was all over the place. Yet hes a freak so he sometimes can make it work. He had **** footowork year 2 vs dallas and the final patriots game that season. But the consistency is the reason he made the change in the first place. When your not being consistent with your throwing motion (even his arm gets a different motion) than your decision making becomes worse because your whole body is thrown off. Allens the only QB in the nfl that is extremely consistent with his motion throughout the course of the season. Hes also the most inconsistent with his highs and lows

Also this has been going on for 3 years, it doesnt have anything to do with his injury. That may of played a role in his decision making which may of got his mind all ****ed where he started losing fundamentals. But that doesnt explain why it dramatically changes through the course of every season, or the fact that his good footwork is actually putting less strain on his arm rather than when he throws the other ball with all arm

Its like having a daily routine. Sure you may have some of the best days of your life when you dont do the routine here and there. But eventually it catches up to you, then you realize you need that routine to consistently have better mental health every day. QBs need to develop a throwing motion and consistently do that. Just like nba free throw routines. Everything is about consistency in sports, you need that. He just developed it so if your not consistently doing it, your muscle memory will be thrown off.

He needs to consistently do it, even if he has a bad game with it, and a great game without it. Hes most consistent during the start of the season when his fundamentals are usually the most consistent.

Its a big deal. Yes hes a freak and he sometimes plays great without it, but its about consistency. Every QB in the nfl has been using a motion theyve used since high school. Allen has not, so he has to be consistent with it or its going to throw him off. Once again, there is a reason that the season he mapped out his motion and changed it is when his completion percentage dramatically improved.
    Last edited by Cali512; 01-27-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wasn’t Josh the hands down favorite for MVP by almost everyone on the board and the national media until around week 9-10? I also think we were the SB Champions until that same point by all the same aforementioned people. Then Josh hurt his elbow and everything change, right ir wrong? Now his career is in b trouble, WOW!

? No one is saying this

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Please everyone watch this video. It shows some plays in the beginning of the season vs late in the season this year. Its just a minute long. His base is better, hes not whipping his arm to his side. When his motion is at his best is when he carries his hips, and he doesnt whip his arm. His arm when at his best is tight and stops around the 17, when its off, it goes all the way to his other hip in a whip. Thats how his control becomes off

https://youtu.be/sbZv3RBsGas

Im not picking and choosing what to show. You can literally go to all the videos i showed that showcase games from early in the season, than late, and you see it clearly

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,472 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I sure hope you're wrong. Can't say you are.

21. Post thanked by:

YardRat (01-28-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I sure hope you're wrong. Can't say you are.

Ive been asking this the last 3 weeks and no one can answer it. Name more than 3 run plays we ran with our RBs past week 3? We had 3 runs in our playbook all season. Completely abandoned toss plays and stretch plays after week 3

Shotgun to the B gap, shotgun to C game, single back power

Thats the only 3 plays we for our rbs after week 3

I also believe the shotgun runs were actually RPOs
    Last edited by Cali512; 01-27-2023 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    ? No one is saying this
    Check out post #23.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Please everyone watch this video. It shows some plays in the beginning of the season vs late in the season this year. Its just a minute long. His base is better, hes not whipping his arm to his side. When his motion is at his best is when he carries his hips, and he doesnt whip his arm. His arm when at his best is tight and stops around the 17, when its off, it goes all the way to his other hip in a whip. Thats how his control becomes off

https://youtu.be/sbZv3RBsGas

Im not picking and choosing what to show. You can literally go to all the videos i showed that showcase games from early in the season, than late, and you see it clearly
    Please, we all acknowledge he has issues, but some of us understand they were because of the injuries and the decline of the line and Dorsey’s bad play calling.

What is your point?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see this but it’s because of the other issues. (I hope) This team did go through a lot this season, let’s hope they and especially Josh can rest.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Please, we all acknowledge he has issues, but some of us understand they were because of the injuries and the decline of the line and Dorsey’s bad play calling.

What is your point?

Explain why this has happened every year for the past 3 years? I really dont think you even read my post

It got better vs NE in the last game, it was good first half vs miami in the playoffs. Second half vs miami it went off the rails again

I mapped all this out with videos from the last 3 years, i dont get why this is so confusing to you. Its not his arm, it may have a little to do with the OL, but it happens every year where he consistently is inconsistent with his fundamentals

If its to many videos for you to watch, then just watch the video i made from the last post, then watch the 2020 interceptions and 2022 interceptions. Its like 6-7 minutes to watch all of them. It shows the progression of inconsistency throught the years
    Last edited by Cali512; 01-27-2023 at 08:18 PM.