Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger HC.

HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger HC.

I was wondering who was the youngest guy to have coach the Bills? The
    organization is always hiring retreads and dinosaurs to coach this team.
    Get going and bring in a younger guy with fresh ideas and knows how to put
    modern game plan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    1970's or 1980's. Sheesh! It's the 21st Century OBD, stop with the antiquated
    ways of running that franchise.
    Last edited by blackonyx89; 12-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

Quote Originally Posted by blackonyx89 View Post
    modern gamplan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    Assistant Coaches are just as important as Head Coaches. Maybe moreso. A young guy just like in all aspects of life does not have the contacts of an older guy, therefore no young HC will be able to assemble a Coaching staff that's as good as an older HC.

3. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-28-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

I don't know who the youngest was, but the best Bills' coaches were Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy and Wade Phillips. All former head coaches and "retreads".

5. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-28-2012),YardRat (12-28-2012)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Joe Collier was 34. You're welcome.
    Bye Bye Brady...

7. Post thanked by:

blackonyx89 (12-28-2012),jlgarsh (12-28-2012),pmoon6 (12-28-2012),YardRat (12-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were both 43 when they came to the Bills.

Youth isn't necessarily the answer.

9. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-28-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,070 Times in 15,283 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Collier, followed by Kay Stevenson, I believe.

Neither had the support of management.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes
    McDaniels would have been fine if he didn't publically try to bring in Cassel when he already had Cutler.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Collier, followed by Kay Stevenson, I believe.

Neither had the support of management.
    Yup, Kay was 39 I think. I know Ramsey was 40/41.

All being said, to answer the question, youth in head coaching isn't the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No he crapped out because he had faith that Tim Tebow was a better QB than Kyle Orton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    McDaniels would have been fine if he didn't publically try to bring in Cassel when he already had Cutler.
    You mean Orton.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    No he crapped out because he had faith that Tim Tebow was a better QB than Kyle Orton.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean Orton.
    McDaniels was fired before Tebow got a chance to play for him. Tebow did prove he is better than Orton when he was finally given a chance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    McDaniels was fired before Tebow got a chance to play for him. Tebow did prove he is better than Orton when he was finally given a chance.
    That's debateable who was better. Personally I'd prefer Orton over Tebow if I'm making an NFL team. Though you are right in that Tebow's shot as last year under John Fox but McDaniels was the one who supposedly lobbied hard for the Broncos to trade up for Tebow initially.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's debateable who was better. Personally I'd prefer Orton over Tebow if I'm making an NFL team. Though you are right in that Tebow's shot as last year under John Fox but McDaniels was the one who supposedly lobbied hard for the Broncos to trade up for Tebow initially.
    So you would prefer losing to winning. I guess you are the perfect Bills fan.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

- - - Updated - - -

You mean Orton.
    No, I meant Cutler. When McDaniel when public with his desire for Cassel, the QB he coached in NE, Cutler got pissed and demanded a trade. That's where the Broncos got Orton. McDaniels made a PR mistake and Cutler acted like a baby.

Besides, it wasn't McDaniel who replaced Orton with Tebow, the interim coach, Eric Studesville started playing him after McDaniels was fired and the season was in the ****ter anyway.

John Fox was the one that benched Orton after they were like 1-4 with Tebow and the rest is history. Tebowmania swept the country.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    So you would prefer losing to winning. I guess you are the perfect Bills fan.
    Actually I'm an imperfect Bills fan because I can see when a player is playing bad and his team in winning inspite of him. I used the same arguements as to why we should dismiss Flutie initially but was told I was foolish etc. I also do have some forethought as often bring up ideas that aren't popular. See over drafting a LT almost every year we've needed one or suggesting we take Dez Bryant a few years ago in the draft. Yet I'm no expert because there are half a dozen or more guys I was wrong about both in the draft and in free agency.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually I'm an imperfect Bills fan because I can see when a player is playing bad and his team in winning inspite of him. I used the same arguements as to why we should dismiss Flutie initially but was told I was foolish etc. I also do have some forethought as often bring up ideas that aren't popular. See over drafting a LT almost every year we've needed one or suggesting we take Dez Bryant a few years ago in the draft. Yet I'm no expert because there are half a dozen or more guys I was wrong about both in the draft and in free agency.
    Well, you were wrong about Flutie as well. If the Bills stuck with him they may have won the Super Bowl that year. And you are wrong about Tebow as well. The Broncos would have finished about 4-12 if Orton played the entire year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody from the Belichick coaching tree has done anything outside of New England. They couldn't bring Ernie Adams with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

possibly... all i know from what i've heard is the OWNER was behind that move. so if McD was on the Tebow bandwagon, so was the owner.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's not the age, it's the the ability to innovate, too many of these 60+ coaches are stuck in their old ways of doing things and resistant to change. As far as a new or younger coach not being able to get good assistants because of lack of connections, that's more old thinking, if you have something that someone will by into, they'll join you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    It's not the age, it's the the ability to innovate, too many of these 60+ coaches are stuck in their old ways of doing things and resistant to change. As far as a new or younger coach not being able to get good assistants because of lack of connections, that's more old thinking, if you have something that someone will by into, they'll join you.
    The only people that will buy into a young HC are people that have no experience. An experienced guy will have no reason to hitch his wagon to an unproven Coach that he does not know. So you get a guy as an OC that was a QB Coach or a WR coach. The DC coached the DL or LB's.

The may be good Coaches all, but it is more than likely the entire Coaching staff will be in over their heads.