Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just talked with a source about Gailey's future and QB in draft

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Just talked with a source about Gailey's future and QB in draft

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I still don't believe you reach for a QB. Just remember picking a wrong guy is worse than not picking one.

100% nonsense!!!

- - - Updated - - -

For short term gain, even possibly going to the playoff next year, you keep Gailey.
    1000% NONSENSE!!!

2. Post thanked by:

Novacane (12-02-2012),TrEd FTW (12-02-2012)

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I still don't believe you reach for a QB. Just remember picking a wrong guy is worse than not picking one.

I really believe Nix went the safe route not picking a development QB, and I believe it's about to change this time around. But if there is a almost sure fire MLB in the 1st round that can transform this defense into a stingy, top 5 one, you have to go this route.
    Right, and anyone who has paid attention to how this team has drafted the last 3 draft years, knows the Bills wont reach for a QB. I don't think position is really as important to Nix as grade of the prospect in relation to the Bills when drafting. I have yet to see this team draft a first rounder based on need since Gailey and Nix took over. JMO

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You should never draft based on need. You go with the top player on your board regardless IMO. I do want a QB btw

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by T-Long View Post
    Just talked with a source within the NFL and he told me that he doesn't think Gailey keeps his job following the season and has heard that the Bills are high on Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson.
    I trust you. And I'm not questioning that you heard that. It just doesn't make much sense for Nix to come out as so vehemently defend Chan by saying you cant keep blowing it up, stay the course, etc... And then be planning to fire him.

Why wouldn't Nix just keep quiet on Chan or say they will look at everything in the off-season? Why go so far to extremes to tell everyone that he is staying and that keeping him is the right move for the future?
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    I trust you. And I'm not questioning that you heard that. It just doesn't make much sense for Nix to come out as so vehemently defend Chan by saying you cant keep blowing it up, stay the course, etc... And then be planning to fire him.

Why wouldn't Nix just keep quiet on Chan or say they will look at everything in the off-season? Why go so far to extremes to tell everyone that he is staying and that keeping him is the right move for the future?
    The old tried & true vote of confidence. Happens every year to Coaches about to be fired.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll even take this argument a step further, he also defends Gailey's stance on Fitzpatrick pretty heavily every time he comes on WGR550. I don't think Gailey is going anywhere unless the Bills completely fall apart in the last 5 games of the season. I think the Bills front office is pretty serious about staying the course this time around. Gailey could very well be this team's last head coach under Ralph Wilson Jr. JMO

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There probably has been an internal ultimatum issued...finish at 8-8 or better, or he's gone. As long as the goal is still attainable, Nix would have to support Gailey until he completely fails.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

9. Post thanked by:

Night Train (12-02-2012),Yasgur's Farm (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    There probably has been an internal ultimatum issued...finish at 8-8 or better, or he's gone. As long as the goal is still attainable, Nix would have to support Gailey until he completely fails.
    That's it right there... No matter what NIx has defined as his gauge (palyoffs, 8-8, etc), he's not gonna put himself in the position of being a stumbling block for Gailey until the goal is no longer attainable... ESPECIALLY if they're friends. Hell... Even the playoffs are not out of the question yet!
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 12-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In the context of the OP, this makes the most sense, imho.
    I wouldn't rule out Nix making a serious move for a QB, either. Providing he has him graded around where the pick is that he moves to, I think he will be prepared to do it, even if it means giving up a bunch of other picks.
    Nix might be somewhat conservative in respect of the draft, and making moves, but as he showed with Mario, if he thinks it is the right move and player, he's not afraid to pull the trigger.
    For all that results aren't showing it, I believe that Nix has improved the roster an awful lot in his time here, and if he can hang on to Byrd and Levitre etc. as well, he will be doing pretty much what he said he was going to do.

As regards the coaching situation, I'm still somewhat on the fence. With a better QB, or better QB play, we could possibly have been at 7-4, rather than 4-7. I also am starting to come around to how the D is improving, and I wonder if a coaching change wouldn't necessarily cause too much disruption - unless the new coaches do run similar schemes, more particularly on D.

We don't just need a QB in the draft, we also need a good WR. If Nelson had been healthy, we might have done a bit better, but atm our WR corps is awfully thin, and it still doesn't look too promising, even with Nelson back. I suppose another QB might actually be able to hit Graham down the field, so that might reduce the need somewhat, but it still doesn't look great.

While I think Bradham is coming along nicely, we also still need a better LB in there, who is good in coverage, and CB is also going to be on the list.

12. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nix stays silent the rumors start flying weeks ago and every day is a distraction. Him remaining strong in his defense is nothing to read into. Strictly PR.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

However, lol if the Bills lose today, it will be really hard for them to not explore other options at HC. Just saying. Jacksonville is 2-9.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why wouldn't Nix defend Gailey? He's the one that hired him and wants to see him succeed more than anyone. As slim as it may be at this point, as long as the Bills still have a chance to finish with a winning record and make the playoffs Nix isn't going to do or say anything to undermine him. Nix probably still wants to keep Gailey regardless of how this season finishes, but may be forced to fire him simply due to the fact that he won't be able to sell him to the fans for another season.

16. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-02-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure. But he can issue the ultimatum in private but doesn't have to go to the lengths he does defending Gailey and talking about change being bad.

He could have done thing without the WGR rant.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For those advocating the Bills keeping Gailey and Fitz, the stadium has 40,000-50,000 empty seats today. Ticket sales will plummet in 2013 if obvious changes aren't made.

The Bills will beat the 2 win Jags... but can't beat anyone good and will finish below .500 again.

This act has been played for 13 years and the locals who buy tickets obviously aren't buying this dreck anymore. They want a winner and could care less how satisfied the Bills are with the bottom line.

19. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-02-2012),Novacane (12-02-2012),TrEd FTW (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i would stay away from , manuel, geno, and barkley....i like what i see in tyler wilson and landry jones..even nesssib from cuse has played solid

Gailey can **** off and i hope Nix gives it to Whaley
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We crushed the great Jaguars. We don't need to make any changes.

22. Post thanked by:

TrEd FTW (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Step one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    We crushed the great Jaguars. We don't need to make any changes.
    The sad thing is that this is probably how Wilson and the front office actually think.

25. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TrEd FTW View Post
    The sad thing is that this is probably how Wilson and the front office actually think.

I don't doubt it. I wish them good luck selling that to the fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We're good at besting the crap teams but the fans aren't buying it anymore. Just because we beat up a 9 loss team does not mean we've made improvements.