• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Re: I have a lot of respect for Chan.

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Again with this "given." He's the head coach of the team, not the waterboy. If he needs something to do his job, he can go out there and get it.
    He could have signed Peyton Manning? Traded for Rivers? Moved up in the draft for Luck or RGIII?

Also consider that CJ Spiller was a Top 10 pick in the first year of a rebuild, and 3 years later Chan still can't figure out how to get him consistent touches.
    Ok, he was given one guy. Awesome.

Consider that Chan got TJ Graham, who didn't even dress for weeks while he learned the offense, and has barely been seen even when he does.
    He sat a rookie WR with 2 years of college starting experience for 3 games? Good god.

Consider that Chan had a troubled Pro Bowl halfback on the roster that we traded away.
    Trading away Lynch added what talent to the offense?

That we signed Brad Smith for his "versatility," which to this point has been limited to incredibly boneheaded wildcattery and special teams.
    Awesome...the talent is really adding up now!

Chan's supposed specialty is working with physically talented QBs, to which we've added Thigpen, Young, and now Jackson - none of whom improved one bit since they arrived.
    3 guys who were reserves, moving on to their 3rd teams.

Maybe we can bring in Charlie Whitehurst and Brady Quinn, so he can fail with them too.

Yeah, the defense has been a trainwreck, but Chan's own failures with the offense cannot be ignored.
    A bad year for the offense, no doubt. Some of those are in his control, some are not.

On the other hand, they've scored 24 or more points in 5 games this year.

You know how many seasonsthey've scored 24 or more points 5 or more times under Jauron?

Once.

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
      I'm not saying that Chan isn't a good offensive mind. I'm saying he screwed up by hitching his wagon to Fitzpatrick.

Do you REALLY think his hands are tied? If Chan tells Buddy that Fitz sucks and he can't win with him, then that should be their number one priority. Do you think Buddy gives Fitz a huge extension without Chan's endorsement?

Either they're not on the same page or Chan WAY overvalued Fitz. Either one isn't good.

And besides, like someone else pointed out, it's also Chan's responsibility to field a competent defensive team. If he can't do it, then bare minimum it's his responsibility to find someone who can.

He's failed on both counts there.
      He didn't "hitch his star" to Fitz, he inherited him. As a back up.

Comment

• gebobs
        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
        And inherited Edwards, re-annointing him as the starter. Yeah, Gailey is a genius.
        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

He could have signed Peyton Manning? Traded for Rivers? Moved up in the draft for Luck or RGIII?

3 guys who were reserves, moving on to their 3rd teams.

Maybe we can bring in Charlie Whitehurst and Brady Quinn, so he can fail with them too.
          Lest we forget, the entire justification for hiring Gailey was that he was a QB guy who could win with the likes of Kordell Stewart and such. One cannot hype that up as an accomplishment and then complain that he only has bum QBs. Training them up is supposed to be his strength! If he can't win without a Rivers/Manning/Luck/RGIII, then how the hell is he an offensive genius? Complete clods like Jim Caldwell won with QBs of that caliber.

Ok, he was given one guy. Awesome.
          A top 10 pick that he supposedly begged for and then can't figure out how to use.

He sat a rookie WR with 2 years of college starting experience for 3 games? Good god.

Trading away Lynch added what talent to the offense?
          You think these moves are being made without his consent? If that's the case then he's a completely useless figurehead, and I fail to see the point in naming him head coach.

A bad year for the offense, no doubt. Some of those are in his control, some are not.

On the other hand, they've scored 24 or more points in 5 games this year.

You know how many seasonsthey've scored 24 or more points 5 or more times under Jauron?

Once.
          Is the offense better than Jauron's? Yes. Is the team better? The results say no.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
            And inherited Edwards, re-annointing him as the starter. Yeah, Gailey is a genius.
            And benched him after 2 games. Sorry he didn't move fast enough for you.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Lest we forget, the entire justification for hiring Gailey was that he was a QB guy who could win with the likes of Kordell Stewart and such. One cannot hype that up as an accomplishment and then complain that he only has bum QBs. Training them up is supposed to be his strength! If he can't win without a Rivers/Manning/Luck/RGIII, then how the hell is he an offensive genius? Complete clods like Jim Caldwell won with QBs of that caliber.
              Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.

A top 10 pick that he supposedly begged for and then can't figure out how to use.
              One guy, that's awesome.

You think these moves are being made without his consent? If that's the case then he's a completely useless figurehead, and I fail to see the point in naming him head coach.
              Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.

Is the offense better than Jauron's? Yes. Is the team better? The results say no.
              Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
                You admit that he neglected the most important position in the game, yet still think he's a good coach?

That doesn't really make sense.
                Didn't Parcell's say that it was like making dinner but he didn't get to shop for the groceries?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    • May 2009

Buddy Nix.

Comment

• bills_7
                      TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                      He may be one step above where he should be. He may be making some game day mistakes, but the simple fact is the guy is working his ass off. We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

Chan Gailey isn't a bum... in fact, give him a Tom Brady and people would be calling him an offensive genius.

Sure... he's not the best on the planet but his greatest weaknesses are out of his control...

...namely not having a QB and working in a ****ed up organization.

Keep coaching Chan... and keep coaching hard!

You have my respect.
                      Really? i would hope any coach would work his ass off for the team and he still sucks and has no ability to adjust in an in-game situaion and goes way to by the book and doesnt go with gut feelings/instincts

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                        Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.
                        I love the logic. The guy in charge of personnel refuses to draft a QB for 3 years.

But it is the coaches' fault because the reserve QB he inherited is "his guy". Peggy Bundy logic.

Peg: Al I want a computer.
                        Al: We're not getting a computer.
                        Peg: But we need a computer.
                        Al: We're not getting a computer.
                        Peg: I don't know what a computer does, I'm not even sure what a computer is, I just know I want one!
                        Al: Then why do you want one?
                        Peg: Fine, if you won't go, I'll take Steve next door to help me.
                        Steve: Al, the guy tried to sell me a $2,000 computer at retail rate...but I talked him into giving me $200 off on this $3000 computer.
                        Al: I did NOT want a computer!

A week later....

Peg: I'm tired of sitting around the house looking at Al's computer...I'm going out and getting something for me.

Maybe if this team could go more than 2 years of:

-Picking the best looking model from the Annual Defensive Back Swimsuit Edition;
                        -drafting one first round RB to replace the previous first round RB;
                        -drafting the "necessary piece" to the latest new-and-improved defensive scheme..

then maybe...just maybe, this team would have its franchise QB.

Or 2.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Because Chan can't tell the guy in charge of personnel "Look this guy I inherited sucks and I can't win with him?"

Because Chan can't just bench Fitzpatrick and play Pigpen?

Because Chan can't just tell Fitzpatrick you're no longer suiting up for me?

2 1/2 years later, Fitz is still the QB and the offense is STILL tailored around him.

Comment

• kishoph
                            • Jun 2003

This is true, but Gailey continues to try and make Fitz the QB that he's not. The team needs to shift away from this spread formation, passing attack offense and try for more of a ball control, (2 back/2 TE) offense geared towards the running game that will utilize the strengths of our RB's and O-Line and not rely on out weakness, at QB. As cliche as it is, use the run game to set up the passing game.

Comment

• gebobs
                              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                              • Sep 2003

He sure didn't. Anyone with more than half a brain knew Edwards was a chump.
                              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                                • Sep 2012

Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.
                                Shanahan has had RGIII for a whopping 9 games. And I don't know what your standard is of "winning" for Norv, but he's never had a losing record with Rivers despite being a horrendous coach.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.
                                Yes, absolutely. But why is this relevant? Again, Chan's supposed "genius" is in developing QBs.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.
                                I'm not sure where you're getting 24 points a game, because we're at 22.5 right now - and that includes 16 points we've scored on special teams and defense. 22.5 is exactly league average for a team that's been somewhat fortunate with offensive injuries. Nelson is the only skill position player who's missed significant time up to now. While its admirable that he dragged this team from garbage to average, he has under-utilizes the talent he does have. Right now, we've got two dedicated blocking tight ends and a fullback on the roster, yet we run a horizontal spread offense. Complain about the journeymen all you want, maybe he shouldn't lean on them so much.

Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.
                                Parcells was overridden by Bob Kraft, not the Pats' GM. And the issue was about finding weapons FOR the franchise QB rather than finding a franchise QB himself. If Chan is in there asking for a QB and they are instead drafting Dareus and Gilmore, then yes, he's a useless figurehead. I like Dareus and Gilmore a lot, but QBs are so much more important I would trade them both today to get one.

Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...
                                Wanny was a good ol' boy hire from their time together at Miami. Why doesn't Chan get a share of the blame for bringing him in, then?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍