Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Von Miller out for year

Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 6,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Von Miller out for year

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    This is what I said on page one of the thread:

“ My son tore his PCL but it wasn’t completely torn. My understanding of repairing ACL, PCL or MCL’s is it’s still attach it will heal up. It was toward the end of the season so he was done. It took 8-10 weeks to heal. I guessing Von should be good to go for the start of the season?”
    The most optimistic I heard was ready to play for the majority of the season.

Good enough for me.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 11,693 Times in 7,754 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not a fan of turf but Forward said, he got rolled up on.

BTW, as you know my son tore his ACL 4 times. Two were on turf, two were on grass. Incidentally the first two were one each.
    I’m curious. I assume your son is not that old. If he has suffered 4 ACL tears, isn’t that a pretty strong message to not play football???

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No. When a ligament is completely torn the nerve endings die almost immediately and are unrepairable. If not completely torn you can sow them back together. No need for screws or drilling because it’s the original ligament.

I have a lot of experience with knees, between 2 sons, and myself, 4 completely torn ACL, 1 partially torn PCL and MCL.
    Ah ok, so they likely just sewed it

Makes sense.

4. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I’m curious. I assume your son is not that old. If he has suffered 4 ACL tears, isn’t that a pretty strong message to not play football???
    He did them playing college football and the last one he did 3 games into the season. He play the rest of the season and playoffs with the torn ACL. He finished 2nd team All American. He is 35 years old now and followed me as an air traffic controller.

BTW, he was on scholarship and the school wants their money’s worth. Besides, I don’t think we could have stopped him from playing.
    Last edited by kgun12; 12-08-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

6. Post thanked by:

notacon (12-09-2022),Woodman (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Ah ok, so they likely just sewed it

Makes sense.
    Yes. In the case of my son that partially tore his PCL (a grade 2) they didn’t do surgery they let it heal on its own. However there’s a big difference between an average high school athlete and a pro football player.

I have read that now they are doing the surgery to repair them. Without the surgery they are finding that the ligament doesn’t always heal correctly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He did them playing college football and the last one he did 3 games into the season. He play the rest of the season and playoffs with the torn ACL. He finished 2nd team All American. He is 35 years old now and followed me as an air traffic controller.

BTW, he was on scholarship and the school wants their money’s worth. Besides, I don’t think we could have stopped him from playing.
    Thanks for the clarification.

And my question was not suggesting that you even try to stop him from playing.

Good for him in getting such high honors. What an achievement. And I bet you are a proud parent. I’m certainly proud of my two daughters embarking on stellar careers.

Really, I am just curious on how so many injuries affects one’s decision to continue playing the sport that caused them. Hopefully, they do not affect his well being in years to come.

9. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (12-09-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

And my question was not suggesting that you even try to stop him from playing.

Good for him in getting such high honors. What an achievement. And I bet you are a proud parent. I’m certainly proud of my two daughters embarking on stellar careers.

Really, I am just curious on how so many injuries affects one’s decision to continue playing the sport that caused them. Hopefully, they do not affect his well being in years to come.
    He golfs and hunts, goes stream fishing, just an outdoor kind of guy. I’ve asked him if he has any problems with his knees and he says no. Hopefully when he get older he can say the same thing.

As far as continuing to play, I don’t think that was ever a thought. I think he came back for the first and forth one a little to soon but he loved the game and was really good.
    He had 7 big school interested to include Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, and Duke along with 3 Ivy League schools. Once he committed the Albany the coach told us they didn’t think they had a shot at him. The reason he end up there is a long story. He didn’t get in any trouble or anything like that, the reason was silly but not worth getting into. BTW before he got hurt the first time, he was slotted to start at Albany as a freshman.

11. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (12-09-2022),notacon (12-09-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He golfs and hunts, goes stream fishing, just an outdoor kind of guy. I’ve asked him if he has any problems with his knees and he says no. Hopefully when he get older he can say the same thing.

As far as continuing to play, I don’t think that was ever a thought. I think he came back for the first and forth one a little to soon but he loved the game and was really good.
    He had 7 big school interested to include Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, and Duke along with 3 Ivy League schools. Once he committed the Albany the coach told us they didn’t think they had a shot at him. The reason he end up there is a long story. He didn’t get in any trouble or anything like that, the reason was silly but not worth getting into. BTW before he got hurt the first time, he was slotted to start at Albany as a freshman.
    I never played a lot of football, certainly not at the level your son did, but in my younger years I enjoyed running, basketball, baseball, tennis and a lot of golf.

Had my first torn meniscus surgery at 53. The other knee for the same thing five years later at 58 years old. Knee issues later in life are quite common among those that are physically active.

In fact my doctor told me that he has patients that go in to get “trimmed up” all the time. ACL injuries are a totally different thing that you and your son know a lot more about than I do (and I appreciate your posts about it). Thankfully medical science is progressing all the time.

Years and years ago, in the 60’s, my mother had back surgery. I believe that she had some vertebrae fused. She was in the hospital for weeks. Laid up in bed for months. Used a back brace for well over a year.

Today, you can be in and out in a day or two to start therapy. My two knee surgeries were outpatient. Despite being under anesthesia, after I non-bigoted up I had to do three things and then I was released.

1. Eat and drink something (I had some toast and juice)
    2. Walk (with crutches) to the bathroom.
    3. Pee

Then...out you go!!!

I only had surgery once in my life before that....when I had my tonsils out when I was 4 or 5 years old. Funny story....the night before my surgery I had a phone interview to prep for anesthesia, and one of the questions was if I was ever under anesthesia and when.

I answered, “when I had my tonsils out around 1960” The nurse literally broke out in laughter and said “They were probably still using ether back then,,,,hahahaha”!!!

And I’m thinking....you mean they don’t anymore?!?!

Von Miller has benefitted from advanced surgical procedures of today. This article in the Buffalo News gave some details....

“On the MRI, the ACL wasn’t torn, so that was great news,” Miller said on the show. “But when we got ready to do the scope, the surgery, he (Dr. Cooper) told me that he was going to take a look at it, and if it was compromised, then we would address it. And I thought that was the best case. … I really wanted to make a decision that gave me the best chance to get back on the field this year, and then still look out for my long-term health as well.”

Miller said the decision would have been different if he planned on this being his last season in the NFL. But the 33-year-old pass rusher plans to keep playing for years, and the surgery would be required.

“He got in there and it didn’t look good, so we opted for the ACL revision,” Miller said.

Miller said his left other knee had to be operated on as well, so that his left patellar tendon could be used as a graft to reconstruct his right ACL. Because Miller had ACL surgery previously, after tearing his right ACL in 2013, his right patellar tendon had already been used, he said. Both knees were sore, but he’s already walking and bending his knees. Miller believes that advances in the medical field could help the recovery of his timeline, as compared to his last surgery.

“I should be able to recover faster. I should be ready to go in about 6 to 7 months. My golf swing could be back in 3-4 months,” Miller said. "It's nothing but work."

"I plan to play another four, five, six years, and so this is the route that I had to take to get there," he added.

Miller said post-surgery, before his anesthesia had worn off, he started calling General Manager Brandon Beane and asking to shadow Beane in his work, which could include a trip to the scouting combine.

Miller also hopes to prove to his Bills teammates that his positive thinking isn’t “just paying lip service.” And at the same time, he’s excited to see what the defensive line does on the field.

“As much as I want to be out there and help those guys, they are in good shape,” he said. “We’re not going to miss a beat. You saw in that Patriots game how they attacked the Patriots offensive line. … I’m excited to see these guys develop, and I’m excited to hand the reins over to these guys until I get back. We’re not going to miss a beat, man.”

more...

Amazingly, Von ran into OBJ at the doctors office....

Miller also shared a story about running into free agent wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. while he was in Dallas. Miller left an appointment with Cooper and ran into Beckham’s assistant in the lobby.

“(Beckham’s) in the examining room right next to me,” Miller said. “So, I go in there, and I talk to OBJ like, ‘Man, I can’t get away from you. You’re here, man. It must be a sign: We’re supposed to be together.'”

Looks like Von Miller want to do some coaching and assistant GM’ing while he’s recovering.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know what you’re saying about technology, in 2001 my L5 fell off the spinal column. They fused it to the tailbone. I was in surgery 101/2 hours they had me up walking the next day. I was released the next day and they told me to walk as much as I could take. By day 5 I was up to a mile a week later I was doing 2 miles. I looked pretty funny with my walker and a brace from just below my neck to the crack of my a$$ but I was walking. I was talking to my uncle that had a 2 hour back surgery in the early 70’s and like your mom the had him laid up for over a month. I also have my C3, 4, and 5 fused.

14. Post thanked by:

notacon (12-10-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know what you’re saying about technology, in 2001 my L5 fell off the spinal column. They fused it to the tailbone. I was in surgery 101/2 hours they had me up walking the next day. I was released the next day and they told me to walk as much as I could take. By day 5 I was up to a mile a week later I was doing 2 miles. I looked pretty funny with my walker and a brace from just below my neck to the crack of my a$$ but I was walking. I was talking to my uncle that had a 2 hour back surgery in the early 70’s and like your mom the had him laid up for over a month. I also have my C3, 4, and 5 fused.
    Amazing.

My mom was miserable for well over a year....maybe closer to two. It was excruciating.

It’s like medical advancement is accelerating as time goes by....like one year in real time is equal to 10 years of medical advancement.

Less than 100 years ago (1928), penicillin was invented, although the “age of antibiotics” did not start until the 1940’s.

Exactly 100 years ago, insulin was first used to treat diabetes.

Life saving treatments that we take for granted did not even exist for my parents when they were young.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    So, just to recap:

We lost to the Chiefs in the playoffs for a lot of reasons, but a big one was the lack of ability to pressure Mahomes.

We bring in Von Miller to pressure Mahomes.

Miller gets hurt, so if we face the Chiefs in the playoffs, we still won't be able to pressure Mahomes. Great.
    If White was healthy last year, the Bills are in the SB.

17. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (12-11-2022)