Thread: X's Combine Notes

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

X's Combine Notes

Tyler Wilson looks smooth throwing the ball... I'm warming to him at 8.

Robert Woods is a very solid looking prospect. He ran a 4.51 but someone may get a great WR in the 2nd.

Kenny Stills may be moving up with a blazing 40, very good athleticism, and decent size.

Vance McDonald moved up IMO after doing very well in the bench and 40.

Cordarelle Patterson is doing what we thought he would so far. 4.42 40 is very good. I thought he could break 4.4.

Te'o impressed me with his honesty. I think he's a good kid who just got in a bad situation. I think he's still a 1st rounder.

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: X's Combine Notes

Nassib has a real live arm. He can make all the throws. It's not clear how accurate he's been... Seems like the coach wanted him throwing more toward the sideline on the over the shoulder and Mayock commented that the deep throws were well placed even though the WR's didn't catch them. Still arm strength won't be an issue IMO.

Manuel has a goofy release. He cups the ball instead of rolling it as he releases it. Just what I seemed to see.

The QB's all throw pretty well actually. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I've projected us taking Knile Davis in the 6th or 7th... He's opening eyes at the Combine as expected.

4.30 and 4.31 unofficial 40's with 31 rep's at 225... Dude is an athletic freak.

He's got durability issues and fumbling concerns but his combine may push him up to even the 5th maybe 4th round. But I think he should go in the 6th and someone may get a real nice backup RB who can beat you to the outside and the blast you up the middle... I'd like us to take the chance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Justin Hunter, another guy I liked a lot going into the season, is having a very good Combine.

4.44 40, top performer on the broad jump at 136 inches, and top performer at the vertical at 39.5 inches.

His production was down this year after coming back from the knee injury. But he's super athletic and more polished than Patterson. However, he's not as rugged as Patterson and isn't as elusive on the field.

I think he's still probably a late 1 to 2nd rounder. He's another guy I wouldn't mind for us in the 2nd round.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A guy I liked coming in, LB Zaviar Gooden, blew up the 40 posting a 4.47. At 6'1" 234 he could be the type of LB'er who may finally be able to cover TE's in the flat. He also was a top performer on the bench with 27 rep's at 225.

I liked him in the 5th or 6th but he may move up.

7. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (02-26-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another favorite of mine is LB Jon Bostic out of Florida. He posted a 4.61 40, 22 rep's of 225. Very solid results. I liked him in the 5th or 6th but he could be an early day 3 pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On the downside, I've been a fan of Khaseem Greene the OLB out of Rutgers but he's had unimpressive results. He posted a 4.71 40 which isn't horrible, but only a 30 inch vertical which was worst among LB'ers. He was one of the top performers in the short shuttles however.

He's showed the ability to cover and move around on the field but these numbers weren't that impressive. Some had him as a 2nd rounder but I think the 3rd or maybe even the 4th may be more likely.

10. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (02-26-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Love it or hate it, CB is still a need...

Dee Milliner ran a 4.37 40... And at 6'0" 205...

He's a solid possibility at the 8 pick

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Shamarko Thomas, the ex-Syracuse S, lit up the Combine...

4.42 40, 28 reps at 225, 40.5 vertical, 133 inch broad jump...

He's 5' 9".

I've liked him as a late rounder for Buffalo even before Wilson was let go. The height may be a concern on jump balls but the vertical may compensate for a few inches. He's good in run support and solid in coverage. I'd take a mid to late round flier on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Shamarko Thomas, the ex-Syracuse S, lit up the Combine...

4.42 40, 28 reps at 225, 40.5 vertical, 133 inch broad jump...

He's 5' 9".

I've liked him as a late rounder for Buffalo even before Wilson was let go. The height may be a concern on jump balls but the vertical may compensate for a few inches. He's good in run support and solid in coverage. I'd take a mid to late round flier on him.
    Those numbers sound like a Bob Sanders clone. I think he jumped 40" as well. Like Sanders, however, he already has a concussion history and it's because of the way he hits. Just an FYI.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Te'o impressed me with his honesty. I think he's a good kid who just got in a bad situation. I think he's still a 1st rounder.
    are the reports true that he ran an 4.8 - 40, and that he blamed being tired and the stress fo the combine for his bad time?
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mski View Post
    are the reports true that he ran an 4.8 - 40, and that he blamed being tired and the stress fo the combine for his bad time?
    He was up late the night before on the phone with his girlfriend.

*edit* in seriousness, though, i don't understand why people are making a big deal about his 40 time. Kevin Minter is considered a 1st round inside linebacker and he ran the same time. He ran 0.1s (or less) slower than Sean Porter, Khasheem Greene, Kevin Reddick, Etienne Sabino, Gerald Hodges, and DeVonte Holloman. It really wasn't a disaster of a time for a MLB. Burfict ran worse than 5.0 last year. Bruce Taylor ran a 5.01 this year. Chase Thomas a 4.91.
    Last edited by CleveSteve; 02-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

Mski (02-27-2013)