Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-31-2015 at 04:31 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

Buddo (09-03-2015),TacklingDummy (09-01-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,432 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!

4. Post thanked by:

Kenny (09-01-2015),trapezeus (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 3,577 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

TT will just moves the chains until the redzone and then run them all in.

6. Post thanked by:

Famous Amos (08-31-2015)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!
    Probably EJ. Not because I'm an EJ lover; I'm not. But because he showed us he can throw TD's and pass downfield. Is he great? Not even close. But he at least showed progress.

I honestly have no data to pull from with Tyrod. I dont know if defenses will respect our passing game. My guess is that they will send heavy pressure and stack the box. And Tyrod hasn't shown me that he can throw his way to a win.

You can't run the ball every single game. Not going to happen. We have to be able to throw to wins sometimes. I just haven't seen that from Tyrod.

8. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-31-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
    No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,905 Times in 4,025 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.

11. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-31-2015),Oaf (08-31-2015),psubills62 (08-31-2015),Skooby (08-31-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...me-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.

13. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (08-31-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015),Victor7 (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 17,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If I had confidence at all that EJ could continue to play like he has so far (I'll take one unbelievably bad bounce pass per game in trade for a QBR of 146 and >1 TD per game any Sunday, every Sunday) I'd be there also...but I don't.

Taylor is not only going to have to start looking downfield, but eventually he's going to have to start hitting those consistently, otherwise he's simply Cassel with wheels.

It's not like most NFL defenses don't know how to keep a runner in the pocket.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

15. Post thanked by:

Meathead (08-31-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's funny because I a huge fan of EJ on the bench

17. Post thanked by:

Cleve (08-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.
    i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope

19. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.
    But can he throw over the top of a defense in the middle of the field or throw a long pass that isn't down the sidelines? That's one thing EJ did demonstrate he could do albeit it was against backups except in the Steelers game. Also am worried that Tyrod didn't complete many passes inside the twenty. Little things I picked up on that worry me. As if Tyrod can fit the ball in tight windows inside the twenty teams will gear up to stop the run and maybe lead us to get 3 points vs 7 which ultimately impacts a game. I'll let Tyrod prove me wrong as he did enough against Pittsburgh that he should be starting but it doesn't mean am still not worried by some of his limitations.

21. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope
    EJ to me is the most complete QB we have on the roster so yeah he's my 2nd string QB.

23. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-01-2015),djjimkelly (08-31-2015),Meathead (08-31-2015),The last buffalo fan (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

None of these guys are good downfield but Tyrod is at least explosive everywhere else.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?
    He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm fine with it. Will see what happens when he has a few games under his belt.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

28. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure if you watched the games but we really didn't game plan that much and basically killed our opponent's defenses. TT put the Bills in a position to score on almost every drive and the O-line gave him time, so where any of this negative stuff is coming from is beyond me.

EJ / TT have basically the best combined QBR ratings in the league, don't know what else you need to see we're better than advertised right now on offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.
    You think his body of work or lack thereof is enough to know what kind of qb he is?

Trentative Edwards or Rob Johnson weren't dink and dunk qbs after even after 10 games. That's more experience than what Tyrod has and yet no one knew what kind of qbs they'd turn out to be after 10 games. EJ was a scared qb last year who looked like he was on the way to being the next trent/Robosack and didn't look it this year.

My point is that there isn't enough data to know that Tyrod will dink and dunk or be a gunslinger.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,378 Times in 3,852 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...me-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.
    Nice clip. The memories of EJ throwing that pass out of bounds still haunt me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Why?

Just curious: were you really, really drunk during preseason games? I saw Taylor nail all kinds of throws downfield. It was Matt Cassell who struggled to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.
    Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 08-31-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

33. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-01-2015)