• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Re: Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
    Interesting. Williams lacks Edmunds' size, but he's obviously fast and reportedly very football smart. There have been other small MLBs who have been successful so hopefully Williams can continue in that mold.
    True.

London Fletcher immediately comes to mind.

High football IQ and good tackling form can allow even traditionally undersized MLBs to flourish.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by swiper View Post
      Williams is 6' 1". Please recall that London Fletcher was an incredible MLB who was only 5' 10".

William's size is fine. Edmunds had size, but was not good as a player.
      We'll see. Williams is yet to take a snap. Not ready to make the mold for Canton yet.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

idk...I think I remember Beane saying they'd try him on the outside first, because they didn't want to throw too much at him. McD has other ideas. As he said, "we'll see how it goes".

As others have said, its OTA's. You aren't going to know until opening day.

As far as a player and a daft choice, I like him. And probably like him more since the draft. 2 people whose opinions I trust really like him. Merk, the Range draft guru, is in love with him. Greg Cosell, one of the few commentators who actually watches game tape, really likes him. In particular, he commented that Williams plays bigger than his size. He quickly noted that he thinks Bernard looks like he plays smaller than his size.

When watching non-highlight games of him, I'm not seeing him get blown out very often. More often, much more often...he gets his long arms extended and disengages from a block pretty quick. Again, we'll see.

But when he plays, he's going to make rookie mistakes. But he's also going to make some plays, both in run support and against he pass. He'll turn some heads. I don't think he's going to be the massive hole in the D some think he's going to be.

And most important of all, he's going to be surrounded by talent on D.

Again, you have a D stacked with 1st and second rounders to build this perfect D. I'll take a quality player like Williams late in the third, over using a 1st AND a 3rd on an under performing Edmunds any day.

I like what they did in the 1st 3 rounds, although Torrence falling in the 2nd was more luck than anything.

But I'd much prefer taking a weapon on offense and much needed protection for Allen than wasting more 1st and 2nd round picks in this futile attempt to create a dominant defense.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
          idk...I think I remember Beane saying they'd try him on the outside first, because they didn't want to throw too much at him. McD has other ideas. As he said, "we'll see how it goes".

As others have said, its OTA's. You aren't going to know until opening day.

As far as a player and a daft choice, I like him. And probably like him more since the draft. 2 people whose opinions I trust really like him. Merk, the Range draft guru, is in love with him. Greg Cosell, one of the few commentators who actually watches game tape, really likes him. In particular, he commented that Williams plays bigger than his size. He quickly noted that he thinks Bernard looks like he plays smaller than his size.

When watching non-highlight games of him, I'm not seeing him get blown out very often. More often, much more often...he gets his long arms extended and disengages from a block pretty quick. Again, we'll see.

But when he plays, he's going to make rookie mistakes. But he's also going to make some plays, both in run support and against he pass. He'll turn some heads. I don't think he's going to be the massive hole in the D some think he's going to be.

And most important of all, he's going to be surrounded by talent on D.

Again, you have a D stacked with 1st and second rounders to build this perfect D. I'll take a quality player like Williams late in the third, over using a 1st AND a 3rd on an under performing Edmunds any day.

I like what they did in the 1st 3 rounds, although Torrence falling in the 2nd was more luck than anything.

But I'd much prefer taking a weapon on offense and much needed protection for Allen than wasting more 1st and 2nd round picks in this futile attempt to create a dominant defense.
          The MLB calls the defensive plays. That's probably what Beane was referring to when talking about "throw too much at him." I opined above that he must have shown a good grasp of the playbook, allowing them to move him to MLB.

Comment

• sukie
            • Sep 2012

Hard to have a “middle” with 2 linebackers on the field.

plays bigger than his size… how did Edmunds play?

Comment

• jamze132
              • Jun 2003

I’d love to see them give Spector a legit shot.

Comment

• swiper
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                We'll see. Williams is yet to take a snap. Not ready to make the mold for Canton yet.
                All we need him to do is be better than Edmunds. That's a low bar.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                I thought Spector was being groomed to be Milano's back-up, no?

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

As usual, Joe B. provides a very unbiased, insightful and intelligent early analysis of the Bills’ OTA and how Dorian Williams might fit in...

Dorian Williams gets early work at MLB

When the Bills initially drafted linebacker Williams in the third round this year, general manager Brandon Beane said that they would likely begin with Williams taking reps at outside linebacker. But only a few weeks later, that initial diagnosis has flipped, as McDermott revealed they began OTAs with Williams working at middle linebacker. It’s a significant development due to the departure of Tremaine Edmunds and with a starting job open next to outside linebacker Milano. With Williams placed in that distinction, at least early during OTAs, that puts him right in the middle of a five-man battle for that starting gig.

Williams is the closest skill set and body type to Edmunds of all the combatants, potentially giving the team the arm length and fluid movement skills that Edmunds provided last year. But practicing at the position and thinking he’ll walk into the starting role as a rookie are two very different things. It would be unfair to expect a late third-round pick to immediately work in ahead of other players who have been in the defensive scheme for longer. But it’s a smart move to see what he can do at middle linebacker in the early stages because it provides another possibility, rather than being pigeon-holed to one of the other options because they elected against finding out how Williams could do with those responsibilities. It’s wise to keep expectations in check for the rookie, but this is an encouraging early sign of their plan for him

First OTA’s does not a season make. Still a LONG way to go. McDermott will most likely rotate LB’s into that spot, like he did last year at CB. Dodson, AJ Klein and Bernard will get their chances to compete.

Dodson and Klein will get plenty of playing time because of their years long experience with the defense.

Comment

• Cali512
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by swiper View Post
                    All we need him to do is be better than Edmunds. That's a low bar.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Spector was being groomed to be Milano's back-up, no?

I think you mean Bernard. Spector is a traditional MLB
                    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

I have high hopes for Spector.

I see BALLHAWK written all over him.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
                      163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Comment

• f8ta1ity54
                        • May 2023

Originally posted by Woodman View Post

He had 1 INT in 40 college games.
                        Pump the breaks.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by f8ta1ity54 View Post
                          He had 1 INT in 40 college games.
                          Pump the breaks.
                          Don't care if he had any picks.

He's a heat seeking missile. (BALLHAWK)

Comment

• Cali512
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Woodman View Post

I feel like ballhawk is a word used for players in the secondary or players who are elite pass defenders, but if you mean hes always around the ball in the run game, then yes. At least in OTAs and preseason that looked true
                            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                              but if you mean he's always around the ball in the run game, then yes. At least in OTAs and preseason that looked true

Exactly .... his opportunity was too limited that won't happen this year.

Comment

• Woodman
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                                They're crazy if they don't ....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎