Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodell wants to eliminate kickoffs

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Goodell wants to eliminate kickoffs

Next thing Goodell would want is to have the players run down the field singing "Tip Toes Through The Tulips"......Common this is football and people are expected to get hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Want to eliminate the head injuries or considerably lower them?

Take away the helmets.

It's that simple.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    This is a quote from Ed Reed.

"If they were really so concerned about the violence and the injuries, players getting hurt, answer this question for me: Why is there Thursday Night Football? We played three games in 17 days. Why is there Thursday Night Football? Come on, man."

Well Ed, if you want to exchange that $44 million contract you signed for a $200,000 a year deal, I'm sure the NFL can go back to that "Old Timey Football schedule" of jut a 14 games just played on Sundays.

The NFL plays Thursdays so they can make Billions more- in which the players make Millions more.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW-

Kickoffs wont be missed all that much=

If the NFL eliminated kickoffs tomorrow, and the XFL sprang up on Saturday and put in all the eliminated kickoffs/ QB hits/ Horse collaring/ rules protecting undefended WRs/ Rules protecting QBs, guess what product you would watch?

I would hate losing kickoffs- but I would hate it a lot more if my already expensive ticket was doubled due to insane insurance premiums & insane court awards that the NFL will have to address

Even if the NFL does not get rid of them watch High Schools and colleges possibly jump on this. They do not have the deep revenue to ward off the lawyers

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,071 Times in 15,284 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Modern athletic training has taken the modern athlete past the point that football can be played safely. They're too big strong and fast.
    Make the field bigger.

6. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (12-07-2012)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,071 Times in 15,284 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerdog View Post
    Even if the NFL does not get rid of them watch High Schools and colleges possibly jump on this. They do not have the deep revenue to ward off the lawyers
    There are no kickoffs at the modified level, even though they do have kickers that kick extra points...just for this reason.

JV and V still have KOs.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The biggest problem is the obscene amount of $$ being paid everyone in pro sports. Owners hate paying someone who isn't playing.

Yet I didn't tell them to give these guys 5-10 Mil a season and now they wish to change the game itself to preserve their investment.

You think the owners actually care about the players safety ? What nonsense. They view them as cattle.

At least I still have college football, which I love. The NFL is ruining the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll have to read the details of the study later, but it would be interesting to know how random the selection of the football players were. Pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to put together twice as many players (35 is a very small number compared to the total, which one would think the descriptive 'most' would be relative to) that show no symptoms of brain damage at all, let alone damage classified as 'severe'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 24,426 Times in 14,145 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerdog View Post
    Well Ed, if you want to exchange that $44 million contract you signed for a $200,000 a year deal, I'm sure the NFL can go back to that "Old Timey Football schedule" of jut a 14 games just played on Sundays.

The NFL plays Thursdays so they can make Billions more- in which the players make Millions more.
    The increase in revenue the league is seeing this year due to extra thursday night games did not have a large impact on the cap so the league may be making billions more as you say but the players aren't seeing that increase as of now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    The biggest problem is the obscene amount of $$ being paid everyone in pro sports. Owners hate paying someone who isn't playing.

Yet I didn't tell them to give these guys 5-10 Mil a season and now they wish to change the game itself to preserve their investment.

You think the owners actually care about the players safety ? What nonsense. They view them as cattle.

At least I still have college football, which I love. The NFL is ruining the game.
    Yup.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 26,213 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I said it was going in this direction a long time ago.

What a putz. I can't stand Goodell.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of course.

As a fan I'm willing to delude myself, I just need something plausible. I can't watch boxing anymore because all I see is brain damage. But I can still watch MMA, because although the fighters still get KO'd the lack of a standing eight count dramatically reduces the post KO punches. Logical? Not really but it's plausible enough that I can watch for now. In a few years if all the current champs are punchy, I probably won't keep watching.

I really love watching football, but as the evidence mounts it's getting tougher to be a fan. I just need something to latch on to that's plausible and I'm more than happy to contribute my share to the revenue stream.
    Actually, you're a bit off on the boxing/MMA thing. The reason there are less concussions/brain damage in MMA than boxing is because there are fewer repeated blows to the head. In MMA, you can strike the whole body, legs included, and the gloves are smaller, making knockouts easier. Getting knocked out after 40 or 50 blows to the head is far worse for the brain than 2 or 3 love taps followed by a hard knockout shot. Combine that with the fact that MMA utilizes submissions and some guys don't even go for knockouts, and you have a sport that's much safer for the brain (although much more hazardous for the rest of the body, but most of that is far easier to fix than the brain).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Pretty sure that's an exaggeration, but if anybody has any reliable statistics that 'most' suffer 'severe' brain damage I'd like to see it.

I also think it's a little inaccurate to state fans won't watch because of the threat of a 'slow death'. I would tend to think that a good percentage watch violent sports in anticipation of witnessing the big hit in football, crushing check in hockey, fiery crash in NASCAR etc, and possibly an equal or slightly larger percentage don't consider it a factor at all.

Next, although the players of the past may have a beef over being ignorant to long-term effects that some may eventually suffer, that's no excuse for the current crop of professionals and hasn't been for a few years...they know what they are getting into and they know the risks involved.

Finally, just IMO, MMA is the most violent and unwatchable 'sport' I've ever witnessed, have watched very, very little of it in the past and have no desire to watch it in the future at all and it's so obvious that the risk of long term affects are probably pretty high, so from my perspective I find it slightly incredulous that somebody can rail against boxing and football but maintain viewing MMA is still bearable until the participants inevitably start suffering from the damage.
    So obvious that they are probably pretty high? A lot of non-committal qualifiers in that statement. See my previous post.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Actually, you're a bit off on the boxing/MMA thing. The reason there are less concussions/brain damage in MMA than boxing is because there are fewer repeated blows to the head. In MMA, you can strike the whole body, legs included, and the gloves are smaller, making knockouts easier. Getting knocked out after 40 or 50 blows to the head is far worse for the brain than 2 or 3 love taps followed by a hard knockout shot. Combine that with the fact that MMA utilizes submissions and some guys don't even go for knockouts, and you have a sport that's much safer for the brain (although much more hazardous for the rest of the body, but most of that is far easier to fix than the brain).
    Since you've done some MMA sparring, do you wear head gear when you spar like in boxing?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Since you've done some MMA sparring, do you wear head gear when you spar like in boxing?
    At the place I train, head gear is optional for adults. It used to be optional for the kids, but now the owner/head trainer is starting to require it.

I don't wear it, but we are pretty controlled when we spar anyway. We don't kick or knee the head in practice and we usually only hit with 16 oz boxing gloves- not the 4 oz MMA gloves. The only time it gets out of control is when the fighters have fights coming up and we are helping them get ready.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 12-07-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'll have to read the details of the study later, but it would be interesting to know how random the selection of the football players were. Pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to put together twice as many players (35 is a very small number compared to the total, which one would think the descriptive 'most' would be relative to) that show no symptoms of brain damage at all, let alone damage classified as 'severe'.
    It certainly isn't random, since it's a post mortem examination. But the fact that the injury can also be seen in college and high school athletes points to a common problem. Whether you think those symptoms warrant the descriptor "severe" is a matter of opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,898 Times in 3,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Goodell's idea stinks. Kickoffs are exciting. With all the money the NFL makes they're still using extremely dated helmet technology, no excuse for it but getting helmets that actually protect the head would address the larger issue of head trauma in football which my guess is substantially underestimated. It's like the oil companies using plastic boom to control oil spills, embarrassing.

But speaking of kicking, they need to narrow the goalposts and move the extra point back 10 yards. The extra point is silly now very very rarely missed, I'd like to see 10% or so missed, otherwise it's a waste of time. And kickers are so good now the kicks need to be made harder so teams will be more tempted to go for it.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Want to eliminate the head injuries or considerably lower them?

Take away the helmets.

It's that simple.
    You're just trading one type of head injury for another there. Before helmets, skull fractures, broken noses, broken teeth, etc were all serious concerns. I say they need to force everyone to wear those great gazoo helmets like Mark Kelso. It takes away the ability to use the helmet like a weapon, so they won't.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    At the place I train, head gear is optional for adults. It used to be optional for the kids, but now the owner/head trainer is starting to require it.

I don't wear it, but we are pretty controlled when we spar anyway. We don't kick or knee the head in practice and we usually only hit with 16 oz boxing gloves- not the 4 oz MMA gloves. The only time it gets out of control is when the fighters have fights coming up and we are helping them get ready.
    So with the lack of head gear beaing worn does that not level the disparity that you mentioned earlier some?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Never happen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    So with the lack of head gear beaing worn does that not level the disparity that you mentioned earlier some?
    The way we usually spar? I don't think so. I mean, there are risks involved but we aren't repeatedly firing shots into each other's heads. If you hurt your training partners, then you have no one to train with.