PDA

View Full Version : Many Fans Want McGahee Gone Within 1-2 Years ?

Night Train
06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Just surfing various sites and I read multiple fans stating they no longer like McGahee. Various reasons were..

- He's not a Buffalo guy
- He's all about the $$
- Didn't attend the OTA's
- The whole Miami U. workout thing
- Drew Rosenhaus
- Afraid he'll tank if he gets the big $$
- never regained his speed
- perceived attitude.
- the "baby momma" article

I can understand the lack of endearment towards McGahee but I don't buy into the theory that good RB's are " A dime a dozen ". Good RB's are hard to find and are the primary player on offense, in terms of gaining yardage. Between running and catching, they touch the ball 300+ times a season and better produce. McGahee, in this Fairchild Offense, could be sitting on some big games. He looks dead fit and in excellent shape.

I see Lionel Gates as a raw unknown. Anthony Thomas has been cut 2-3 times recently. Shaud Williams may be 5-4 with lifts. So where is the front line replacement ? The 2007 draft ? Then the same people will yell if we don't draft Lineman. Can't have it both ways.

Hmmm...maybe we should consider keeping him after all. He's a football player, who will never split the atom in his next career.

Let's keep things in perspective.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I want him gone now.

Bill Brasky
06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I wanted him gone when we drafted him. Anybody who didn't see this coming is as blind as Stevie Wonder.

SquishDaFish
06-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Until he Holds out I want him on this team. Im not like the Idiots wanting him gone now just for missing Voluntary OTAs. The guy is there when he has to be this year. He is going to be great this year watch and see. Once he holds out if he does I want him gone too.

Mitchy moo
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
If he runs 1,900 yds this year and we win the SB, will you like him then?

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
It's not just missing OTA's- it's the overall lack of effort he's shown that bothers me. The guy parties in Miami and only comes to Buffalo to collect his paycheck. He has no loyalty to the team that took a significant risk by drafting him after a potentially career-ending injury.

I'm not saying the Bills should come right out and dump him right away. But so far, his on-the-field performance hasn't matched his ability or his mouth, and he has Rosenass for an agent- it's a holdout waiting to happen. I'd rather see him cut than see the Bills overpay for him. You can argue all day about whether good running backs are a dime a dozen, but it can't be that hard to find one who can get 78 yards a game.

If he comes to play this year and shows something, then maybe he'll deserve a huge payday. But even then would make me nervous- who knows if he would actually try after he gets his signing bonus?

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 08:34 AM

Yes, for five weeks. Because that's about how long it will take for Drew Rosenhaus to start demanding a cap-killing contract.

Jan Reimers
06-22-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't particularly like his attitude or performance to date, but I could be won over by a 2,000 yard, 20 touchdown season.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Until he Holds out I want him on this team. Im not like the Idiots wanting him gone now just for missing Voluntary OTAs. The guy is there when he has to be this year. He is going to be great this year watch and see. Once he holds out if he does I want him gone too.

The SMART fans here know what he is. A selfish punk. We want him gone ASAP

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't particularly like his attitude or performance to date, but I could be won over by a 2,000 yard, 20 touchdown season.

I don't care if he runs for 3000 yards and 50 TD's. he is a friggin punk and needs to be gone.

Night Train
06-22-2006, 09:05 AM
So we should draft only good christian players from BYU and Liberty ?

I really don't see much difference between him and say E. James, now of the Cardinals. I never disliked E. James and he skipped OTA's all the time with the Colts. But he showed up big on Sunday.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
But he showed up big on Sunday.

when McGahee does that, you'll have a point. So far, he hasn't.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 09:08 AM
So we should draft only good christian players from BYU and Liberty ?

I really don't see much difference between him and say E. James, now of the Cardinals. I never disliked E. James and he skipped OTA's all the time with the Colts. But he showed up big on Sunday.

He skipped OTA's and over the last few years his performance went down. He was such a great player by training in Miami that the Best GM in football decided LAST year to let him seek a trade. No one thought he was worth giving up a 2nd round pick for. Immagine that.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 09:08 AM
when McGahee does that, you'll have a point. So far, he hasn't.

Yeah other than one game against the Bucs, when did he show up last year? Oh thats right, he quit mid way though the season

Night Train
06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I look at it this way. In 26 starts, he has 2300 + yards and 18 TD's, for a Coach who ran one of the worst offenses in team history. Fairchild seems to have an actual plan ( something we haven't had in 3 years ).

Fairchild has publicly stated Willis figures huge in his Offense and I'm fine with that. I can envision about 80-100 yards a game average, plus 4-6 pass receptions out of the backfield. That could set up the pass downfield to Evans quite nicely.

He's a key part of the plan and if you keep swapping players in and out of the lineup, you're usually in a constant rebuilding mold....in other words, losing more often than you'd like. Lack of patience can be your own worst enemy, especially with key skill players like Losman, McGahee etc. Find a core that works and let them grow.

Aren't we a little tired of the constant rebuilding after 6 years of no playoffs ?

djjimkelly
06-22-2006, 09:35 AM
im on record mcgahee is the real deal and we need to keep him hes put up solid numbers behind a terrible o line i can just imagine what he could do if we had a line 75% as good as KC's o line

djjimkelly
06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
no one brings up the fact mularky the fool was the one who asked willis to be 240 last year so he could mimic the bus this year hes back to the form he was at the U hes gonna have a pep in his step!!!!!

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
The FACTS everyone ignores is he had one good season in college. He is one of the more overhyped players in the NFL. Another FACT is we can replace him in the first 2 rounds of the draft easy. That is why no one wanted to give up a draft pick for Edge as well. Indy went out and did exactly that, replaced edge in the draft.

Part ways with this self centered, egotistical, over hyped punk asap.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I look at it this way. In 26 starts, he has 2300 + yards and 18 TD's, for a Coach who ran one of the worst offenses in team history. Fairchild seems to have an actual plan ( something we haven't had in 3 years ).

Fairchild has publicly stated Willis figures huge in his Offense and I'm fine with that. I can envision about 80-100 yards a game average, plus 4-6 pass receptions out of the backfield. That could set up the pass downfield to Evans quite nicely.

He's a key part of the plan and if you keep swapping players in and out of the lineup, you're usually in a constant rebuilding mold....in other words, losing more often than you'd like. Lack of patience can be your own worst enemy, especially with key skill players like Losman, McGahee etc. Find a core that works and let them grow.

Aren't we a little tired of the constant rebuilding after 6 years of no playoffs ?

Did Fairchild run any of this by McGahee? Apparently he thinks he's going to learn the offense in South Beach. I know OTA's are optional, but it speaks volumes about McGahee when the OC wants to make him the lynchpin of the offense and he can't even show up to learn it.

Yes, I'm tired of the rebuilding too. But TD tried the whole "overpaying big names" thing and the best it got us was a 9-7 season.

SABURZFAN
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM

IF that happens,it would be a good time to trade him.

SABURZFAN
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM

we'll see.it's easy for fairchild to THINK he has an actual plan but we'll see if he can execute it.the other dimwits we had thought they had a plan too.

EricStratton
06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
The FACTS everyone ignores is he had one good season in college. He is one of the more overhyped players in the NFL. Another FACT is we can replace him in the first 2 rounds of the draft easy. That is why no one wanted to give up a draft pick for Edge as well. Indy went out and did exactly that, replaced edge in the draft.

Part ways with this self centered, egotistical, over hyped punk asap.

The Colts haven't replaced him yet.

They drafted a player who could be great or could be a bust to replace a player they knew.

If the kid is great in week 12 then it worked but if it turns into the all Manning all the time show then it was a bad deal.

bigbub2352
06-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Guys it is 2006, all the Miami players work out together, they dont get to gether to go to class, Mcgahee put up 2 1000 yard season and he is only 24, he has a world of talent, i bet before last year nobody and i mean nobody was saying they wished him gone then, Charachter is not an issue in the nFL, i gurantee anyone that half the guys on each teams roster have a record, or should have a record, fact is he ran for 1200 yards last year any way you look at it, we were giving the ball to damien shelton instead of him in the red zone, what did he have 3 passes thrown to him last year, also our oline was terrible and couldnt block pass or run, and our offensive scheme was little league, and yet he still ran for 1200 yards with spotty QB play and teams focusing on him and stopping the run,

Everyone needs to calm down and really look into what they are saying, he was here when it counted, and remeber what Bruce SMith and Thurman Thomas used to do when kids used to ask them for autographs, Also Bruce Smith might have only practiced in Buffalo during training camp like 2 his whole career he was always sitting next to Ralph in his gulf cart, even Jimbo when he refused to play here and then when he did he came in his fur coat and wouldn't sign autographs either but everyone still loves these guys cause they won all the time, this is nothing new $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fuels alot of this, let him play the season, and if he gets a hat trick with another 1000 yard season, we will see what everyone is posting

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Guys it is 2006, all the Miami players work out together, they dont get to gether to go to class, Mcgahee put up 2 1000 yard season and he is only 24, he has a world of talent, i bet before last year nobody and i mean nobody was saying they wished him gone then, Charachter is not an issue in the nFL, i gurantee anyone that half the guys on each teams roster have a record, or should have a record, fact is he ran for 1200 yards last year any way you look at it, we were giving the ball to damien shelton instead of him in the red zone, what did he have 3 passes thrown to him last year, also our oline was terrible and couldnt block pass or run, and our offensive scheme was little league, and yet he still ran for 1200 yards with spotty QB play and teams focusing on him and stopping the run,

Everyone needs to calm down and really look into what they are saying, he was here when it counted, and remeber what Bruce SMith and Thurman Thomas used to do when kids used to ask them for autographs, Also Bruce Smith might have only practiced in Buffalo during training camp like 2 his whole career he was always sitting next to Ralph in his gulf cart, even Jimbo when he refused to play here and then when he did he came in his fur coat and wouldn't sign autographs either but everyone still loves these guys cause they won all the time, this is nothing new $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fuels alot of this, let him play the season, and if he gets a hat trick with another 1000 yard season, we will see what everyone is posting

When McGahee performs on the field, he can get the benefit of the doubt like Bruce and Thurman did. Of course no one wanted him gone after 04, although I've always been suspicious of the situation because of his agent. In '05 he didn't play well. And don't give me the 1000 yard BS- in a 16 game season, that's only 62.5 yards per game.

And why do Miami guys deserve special treatment? The point is that Willis could significantly help his team by knowing the offense inside and out when the season starts. He chose not to do that, and it will show on the field.

No one except ICE seems to be saying we should get rid of him now. If he has another bad year, why pay to keep him? If he has a good year, Rosenass will demand a huge contract and hogtie the team's ability to deal with their other needs. It's lose/lose for the team.

Night Train
06-22-2006, 11:18 AM
The Colts haven't replaced him yet.

They drafted a player who could be great or could be a bust to replace a player they knew.

If the kid is great in week 12 then it worked but if it turns into the all Manning all the time show then it was a bad deal.

My exact point about #21 on our team.

The RB has played huge in any good teams in Bills history. Cookie Gilchrist and Wray Carlton in the 60's. O. J. in the 70's, Joe Cribbs during the 78-83 Chuck Knox era and last but not least, Thurman. They produced big in all our winning years. Coincidence ? Hardly...

McGahee is THE GUY, at present...So let's work him hard and see what happens.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM

I don't give a damn if it is 2006 or 2600, get your ass to Buffalo with your team mates and work hard to learn the system.

and Dont use Kelly or Bruce to refrence Willis punk ass. Willis is all about the money, Kelly and bruce were about being the best they could be at their positions and WINNING. Willis would be more happy staring on some sitcom and screwing around in havana norte instead of playing ball.

bigbub2352
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
With Jim Kelly it wasnt about the money, he refused to play here, and lets not forget how good he was the first two years as a Bill, How long u been a fan, Bruce came into camp his rookie year and was almost cut for being over 300lbs and couldnt follow the defensive scheme, I am not saying Maimi players deserve extra treatment by any means, but he did come to the OTA in awesome shape, better than last year so i guess that might mean he is focused, How many players in this league truely care who they play for, most probably dont care about winning teams either, hence why FA always go to the highest bidder not his favorite team, open your eyes, and relax we havent even played a scrimmage yet, Willis is gonna play his ass off, i dont care what his yards per game was it should have been low, the defense totally keyed on him, and our scheme and oline were terrible, plus he wasnt even used on third down or in the red zone, if u did that to any top back in the league i would bet my house on it that there production would drop dramatically, Please save this arguement till after the season, right now he is by far the best we got and he was here when he was suppossed to be, I agree with u Ice that he should have been here but he wasnt, Not much changes for a RB in the offense the holes are still numbered the same a dive is a dive, a sweep is a sweep, a counter is a counter, a draw is a draw, a screen is a screen, a playaction is a playaction, max protect is max protect, just different terminology so RELAX

bigbub2352
06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Also Bruce wouldnt take a pay cut to stay here ala we cut him and he went to Washington, i guess u should question his loyalty nad commitment huh

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Also Bruce wouldnt take a pay cut to stay here ala we cut him and he went to Washington, i guess u should question his loyalty nad commitment huh

taking a pay cut is different than demanding a huge contract. No one is saying Willis should take a pay cut- we're saying that his contract is up this year and if he's gonna stay, he's going to have to understand that this team has needs besides him. Given his history of how much he appears to care about his team and who his agent is, it's likely he is going to demand a ridiculous contract. And he's not worth it.

And I love it how people say the system hurt players that they like, but fail to mention the system when ripping on a player that they don't like.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
With Jim Kelly it wasnt about the money, he refused to play here, and lets not forget how good he was the first two years as a Bill, How long u been a fan, Bruce came into camp his rookie year and was almost cut for being over 300lbs and couldnt follow the defensive scheme, I am not saying Maimi players deserve extra treatment by any means, but he did come to the OTA in awesome shape, better than last year so i guess that might mean he is focused, How many players in this league truely care who they play for, most probably dont care about winning teams either, hence why FA always go to the highest bidder not his favorite team, open your eyes, and relax we havent even played a scrimmage yet, Willis is gonna play his ass off, i dont care what his yards per game was it should have been low, the defense totally keyed on him, and our scheme and oline were terrible, plus he wasnt even used on third down or in the red zone, if u did that to any top back in the league i would bet my house on it that there production would drop dramatically, Please save this arguement till after the season, right now he is by far the best we got and he was here when he was suppossed to be, I agree with u Ice that he should have been here but he wasnt, Not much changes for a RB in the offense the holes are still numbered the same a dive is a dive, a sweep is a sweep, a counter is a counter, a draw is a draw, a screen is a screen, a playaction is a playaction, max protect is max protect, just different terminology so RELAX

I've been a fan for over 20 years. I exactly the situation with Kelly because he IS he reason I became a Bills fan. I used to watch him in the USFL all the time.

That said, Bruce had a self work ethic that made him want to be the best. Yeah his first year he was fat, then what? he became one of the 3 most dominate DE's in football history! Kelly one of the top QB's EVER.

I will say right now with 100% certainty, Willis will NEVER come close to achieving that level of success regardless of where he plays. He just doesn't have the self discipline or motivation to become so. Football is a paycheck to him. To Jim, Bruce etc, the paycheck was part of it, winning was the thing.

Willis is a self centered punk. And a stupid one at that. He is not the type of player Marv has said he likes, but for some reason he made it through this offseason as a Bill.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 12:09 PM

First off, Bruce and thrumal were cut thanks to John BUTTler, who tanked his last draft here.

Secondly, how old was bruce and how productive was he when cut? HUGE Differance. Bruce could have retired right then and been a HOF member by now. Willis will NEVER be a HOF Running back.

finsrclowns
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
He skipped OTA's and over the last few years his performance went down. He was such a great player by training in Miami that the Best GM in football decided LAST year to let him seek a trade. No one thought he was worth giving up a 2nd round pick for. Immagine that.

1500+ rushing each of the last 2 years plus another 3-400 in receiving yards is going down? Yeah, ok. Try getting a grip on how today's NFL works. Teams are not going to pay out the big bucks AND give up a high pick even if it is a great player, especially a RB with 7 years of tread off the tire. The Hawks couldn't get a 2nd a year ago for Shaun Alexander- is he going downhill too? The Colts had to get real with their cap- that's what letting Edge go was about, that and paying huge dollars to 30 year olds is questionable even if the guy is great. McGahee is 24 so it's apples and oranges. He's yet to produce like Edge but he certainly has the talent to do so- we will see.

Selfish players abound in the NFL today and the "U" churns out punks by the dozen. But most of those punks can play. The poster is right- like him or not we have no other realistic options other than McGahee. Edge was the 4th pick in the draft so your statement that McGahee can be easily replaced with a 1st or 2nd rounder is pure specualtion, the draft is a crapshoot and running backs are certainly no exception.

SABURZFAN
06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I've been a fan for over 20 years. I exactly the situation with Kelly because he IS he reason I became a Bills fan. I used to watch him in the USFL all the time.

To Jim, the paycheck was part of it, winning was the thing.

what a bunch of crap. :down:

kelly went to the USFL because he pissed and moaned about playing in buffalo.he wasn't about winning.he was ALL about himself.he was more worried about his stats and how the buffalo weather would affect them.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 12:16 PM
1500+ rushing each of the last 2 years plus another 3-400 in receiving yards is going down? Yeah, ok. Try getting a grip on how today's NFL works. Teams are not going to pay out the big bucks AND give up a high pick even if it is a great player, especially a RB with 7 years of tread off the tire. The Hawks couldn't get a 2nd a year ago for Shaun Alexander- is he going downhill too? The Colts had to get real with their cap- that's what letting Edge go was about, that and paying huge dollars to 30 year olds is questionable even if the guy is great. McGahee is 24 so it's apples and oranges. He's yet to produce like Edge but he certainly has the talent to do so- we will see.

Selfish players abound in the NFL today and the "U" churns out punks by the dozen. But most of those punks can play. The poster is right- like him or not we have no other realistic options other than McGahee. Edge was the 4th pick in the draft so your statement that McGahee can be easily replaced with a 1st or 2nd rounder is pure specualtion, the draft is a crapshoot and running backs are certainly no exception.

Dude- do your research: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396170

McGahee NEVER rushed for 1500 yards in a season or more than 178 yards receiving. His actual yardage went up in 05, but his YPC went down and his touchdowns went WAY down.

And you hit the nail on the head with this:

He's yet to produce like Edge but he certainly has the talent to do so- we will see.

If he produces this year and doesn't try to stick it to the team in the off-season, yeah, keep him around. But given his agent and the selfishness he's shown in the past, don't count on it.

bigbub2352
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Bruce kept playing not for a ring but to get an individual sack record and demanded that at like 35 he was still paid like he was 25, he is and always will be one of the best, but wasnt the reason Jimbo didnt come here $$$$$, i thought so, he said he never wanted to play here then when the USFL folded we held his rights and signed him to another big contract so he would play here, WOW u most really follow the BILLS, I luv JIm KElly and Thurman Thomas and the rest of them from 15 years ago but, totally different game and totally different players, Also who fueled the bickereing Bills anyway i forget, who went out parting got all hoped up on coke and tanked 4 super bowls, who forgot his helemt because he was so ****ed up from the night before he slept thru the walk thrus and had to hurry to even get to the game, Come on u can do this for every team and alot of the high profile players, I am the biggest Bills fan there is but i am not stupid

finsrclowns
06-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Dude- do your research: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396170

McGahee NEVER rushed for 1500 yards in a season or more than 178 yards receiving. His actual yardage went up in 05, but his YPC went down and his touchdowns went WAY down.

OP- have a cup of coffee and wake up- Ice's post was about Edgerrin James slowing down not McGahee.

bigbub2352
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Bruce kept playing not for a ring but to get an individual sack record and demanded that at like 35 he was still paid like he was 25 didnt he keep playing and cause problems with coaches and players because he thought he should still be strting at like 38 and refused to split time, also wasnt he the one that was arressted for being so ****ed up on boos and sniff that he was sleeping in his car at a red light, he is and always will be one of the best DE but lease are Marv's charachter guys, but wasnt the reason Jimbo didnt come here $$$$$, i thought so, he said he never wanted to play here then when the USFL folded we held his rights and signed him to another big contract so he would play here, WOW u most really follow the BILLS, I luv JIm KElly and Thurman Thomas and the rest of them from 15 years ago but, totally different game and totally different players, Also who fueled the bickereing Bills anyway i forget, who went out parting got all hoped up on coke and tanked 4 super bowls, who forgot his helemt because he was so ****ed up from the night before he slept thru the walk thrus and had to hurry to even get to the game, Come on u can do this for every team and alot of the high profile players, I am the biggest Bills fan there is but i am not stupid

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 12:23 PM
OP- have a cup of coffee and wake up- Ice's post was about Edgerrin James slowing down not McGahee.

my bad- sorry

finsrclowns
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
my bad- sorry

No prob- Starbucks makes a good cup.:D

Dont drink the water
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I see Lionel Gates as a raw unknown. Anthony Thomas has been cut 2-3 times recently. Shaud Williams may be 5-4 with lifts. So where is the front line replacement ? The 2007 draft ? Then the same people will yell if we don't draft Lineman. Can't have it both ways.

Let's keep things in perspective.

Hard to keep things in perspective when you exagerate to make other backs look worse than they are. You must realize the case for keeping Willis is prertty slim to exagerate so much. Shaud Williams is bigger than 5-4 and Thomas was not cut from some of his positions but ending one contract without re-signing and injured his knee at New Oleans.

Some people will yell no matter WHAT they do - they enjoy being whining cynical bastards. They make limes seem like the sweetest fruit.

Willis will be gone in 1-2 years because he has made it clear he does not want to be in Buffalo and wants to be paid more than he is worth.

The Natrix
06-22-2006, 12:48 PM
This is really a non issue until the coming season has been played out.

Some of you are acting like he is a FA.

Marv should definitely entertain any trade offers and pull the trigger if it's an offer he can't refuse. If that doesn't happen, let's just wait and see want happens. He may have a career year and be the driving force of the offense.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
This is really a non issue until the coming season has been played out.

Some of you are acting like he is a FA.

Marv should definitely entertain any trade offers and pull the trigger if it's an offer he can't refuse. If that doesn't happen, let's just wait and see want happens. He may have a career year and be the driving force of the offense.

if he has a career year, he'll be the driving force of the off-season, not the offense, because there is no way we'll be able to afford to keep him

finsrclowns
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Hard to keep things in perspective when you exagerate to make other backs look worse than they are. You must realize the case for keeping Willis is prertty slim to exagerate so much. Shaud Williams is bigger than 5-4 and Thomas was not cut from some of his positions but ending one contract without re-signing and injured his knee at New Oleans.

Some people will yell no matter WHAT they do - they enjoy being whining cynical bastards. They make limes seem like the sweetest fruit.

Willis will be gone in 1-2 years because he has made it clear he does not want to be in Buffalo and wants to be paid more than he is worth.

You post some funny stuff- mostly not on purpose. This thread was not being negative- just honest about the importance of McGahee- you just hate the guy and enjoy posting that hate. And train's assessment's of our other RB's is pretty much on target. Shaud Williams is too small to be a feature back, A-Train is a slow plodder that can't catch and is as done as last Thanksgiving's turkey and Lionel Gates is a nobody. Nobody knows McGahee's future in Buffalo but we'll go as far this year as his legs carry us.

finsrclowns
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
if he has a career year, he'll be the driving force of the off-season, not the offense, because there is no way we'll be able to afford to keep him

You can't know that- we have a new coaching staff and a lot of new faces. If things start to gell Mcgahee very well may want to be here. But as far as not affording him that might make more sense if we weren't miles under the cap.

The Natrix
06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
While he may not be in love with it, I don't think Willis dislikes Buffalo.

I though he represented well at that bowling tourney thing on ESPN.

While I want the overall character of the Bills to be high, I think having some characters like Willis on the team is a good thing. I like a little attitude and swagger.

theanswer74
06-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I never post on this board, but some people got some major issues here with Willis McGahee. They say he doesnt care, he was partying down in Miami while missing OTA's, but all Willis did was come into mini-camp in the best shape of his NFL career. He was very proud of the weight he lost and wants to lose more. Ive heard him say in every interview he does, "I want to get better".

I actually feel some people are actually angry that he came to camp in the best shape hes been in since the U days, hoping to bash him some more.

The facts are, he deserved criticism for missing OTA's and being on TV at the same time, but he also deserves credit for comming to camp much lighter. He is obviously TRYING to get better, to improve on his 1,300 yard season. He wants to be explosive, just like we want him to be. He wants to be the best, just like we want him to be.

People just need to chill, because to be honest, Willis told people like ICE to STFU when he came to camp 12lbs lighter and ripped up ready to ball.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I never post on this board, but some people got some major issues here with Willis McGahee. They say he doesnt care, he was partying down in Miami while missing OTA's, but all Willis did was come into mini-camp in the best shape of his NFL career. He was very proud of the weight he lost and wants to lose more. Ive heard him say in every interview he does, "I want to get better".

I actually feel some people are actually angry that he came to camp in the best shape hes been in since the U days, hoping to bash him some more.

The facts are, he deserved criticism for missing OTA's and being on TV at the same time, but he also deserves credit for comming to camp much lighter. He is obviously TRYING to get better, to improve on his 1,300 yard season. He wants to be explosive, just like we want him to be. He wants to be the best, just like we want him to be.

People just need to chill, because to be honest, Willis told people like ICE to STFU when he came to camp 12lbs lighter and ripped up.

We want him to be the best to help our team, he wants to be the best to get a paycheck. I can't blame him for wanting to make money, but it is possible to care about the team as well as caring about a paycheck. If he cared about the team, he'd be learning the offense.

theanswer74
06-22-2006, 02:25 PM
We want him to be the best to help our team, he wants to be the best to get a paycheck. I can't blame him for wanting to make money, but it is possible to care about the team as well as caring about a paycheck. If he cared about the team, he'd be learning the offense.

Everyone wants a paycheck, but you dont know that thats all he cares about. He has done nothing to prove that. He never held out, never even talks contract. He always says to talk to Drew about his contract.

Someone mentioned that bowling thing he did, you see how excited he was when he won. Same thing with the Madden stuff he does. The guy likes winning, like competing, and likes money (who doesnt).

He is an odd person, all I can go by really are his actions. He was not doing good things IMO during the offseason, UNTIL he came to mini-camp ripped up and lighter.

I mean how can anyone be mad after that unless they have an agenda.

He did what he was supposed to do in the offseason, now we have to see if it will transfer over to the field. He said he has been studying the offense while in Miami, nothing wrong with that, as long as he was. From the way he looks physically, I believe he was working hard.

TacklingDummy
06-22-2006, 02:27 PM
When McGahee performs on the field, he can get the benefit of the doubt like Bruce and Thurman did.

Thurman his 1st two years...

207 881 4.3 2
298 1244 4.2 6

McGahee his 1st 2 years...

284 1128 4.0 13
325 1247 3.8 5

Last time I checked, Willis wasn't running behind, Wil Wolford, Kent Hull, Howard Ballard, Jim Ritcher etc..

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 02:39 PM

207 881 4.3 2
298 1244 4.2 6

284 1128 4.0 13
325 1247 3.8 5

Last time I checked, Willis wasn't running behind, Wil Wolford, Kent Hull, Howard Ballard, Jim Ritcher etc..

Apples and oranges.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Everyone wants a paycheck, but you dont know that thats all he cares about. He has done nothing to prove that. He never held out, never even talks contract. He always says to talk to Drew about his contract.

Someone mentioned that bowling thing he did, you see how excited he was when he won. Same thing with the Madden stuff he does. The guy likes winning, like competing, and likes money (who doesnt).

He is an odd person, all I can go by really are his actions. He was not doing good things IMO during the offseason, UNTIL he came to mini-camp ripped up and lighter.

I mean how can anyone be mad after that unless they have an agenda.

He did what he was supposed to do in the offseason, now we have to see if it will transfer over to the field. He said he has been studying the offense while in Miami, nothing wrong with that, as long as he was. From the way he looks physically, I believe he was working hard.

He did some of what he was supposed to do in the off-season. He stayed in shape and he should be commended for that. But he also didn't make the effort to learn the new system, of which he is supposed to be a key part. There is a physical aspect to the game and a mental aspect- both require attention.

And there was an interview that someone posted a while back where he was asked if he would stay in Buffalo. His answer: "if they pay me".

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 02:43 PM

207 881 4.3 2
298 1244 4.2 6

284 1128 4.0 13
325 1247 3.8 5

I see.

Funny- you hate on JP even when people show you that his stats through 8 games are very similar to those of some of the NFL's best QB's. But the same type of comparison is somehow perfectly salient for McGahee.

And last time I checked, JP wasn't throwing behind Will Wolford, Kent Hull, Howard Ballard, Jim Ritcher, etc.

ICE74129
06-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey OPV, thats ok TDUMMY left out something that is a MAJOR differance between the two....Recieving stats.

Thurman
18 208 11.6 0
60 669 11.2 6

Willis
22 169 7.7 0 |<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
28 178 6.4 0

Again apples and oranges.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey OPV, thats ok TDUMMY left out something that is a MAJOR differance between the two....Recieving stats.

Thurman
18 208 11.6 0
60 669 11.2 6

Willis
22 169 7.7 0 |<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
28 178 6.4 0

Again apples and oranges.

and that's where learning the offense comes in and why he should be in Buffalo, regardless of the fact that he kept himself in shape.

BTW, why are we giving people credit for **** they're SUPPOSED to do? If you're a pro athlete during the off-season, you only have two responsibilities
1. Stay in shape
2. Don't get arrested

Giving a pro athlete credit for showing up in shape is like giving the rest of us credit for showing up at work sober.

TacklingDummy
06-22-2006, 02:55 PM
I see.

Funny- you hate on JP even when people show you that his stats through 8 games are very similar to those of some of the NFL's best QB's. But the same type of comparison is somehow perfectly salient for McGahee.

Any moron with talent to run can be a RB.

And like Steve Fairchild has said... "J.P. has some talent. Obviously, he was a first-round pick and he showed arm strength and all sorts of good things...
but that's just a little piece of being a good quarterback... Putting it together and producing on the field,
all the arm strength and athletic ability in the world doesn't guarantee that you'll produce as a quarterback..."

TacklingDummy
06-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Last time I checked Willis wasn't brought to Buffalo because he was a good RB who could catch the ball.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Any moron with talent to run can be a RB.

true but the great ones, like Thurman, do other things like receive and block as well. And they do that by learning the offense and the system.

Willis could skate by and be an average or slightly above average RB based on physical ability alone. Or he could pretend like he gives a **** and be one of the great ones. Which do you prefer?

TacklingDummy
06-22-2006, 03:09 PM
true but the great ones, like Thurman, do other things like receive and block as well. And they do that by learning the offense and the system.

Im sure Willis will be showing up to camp when it open's, in great shape, and will learn the new system just fine.

justasportsfan
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
And why do Miami guys deserve special treatment? .None of them get special treatment. They are at camp when it's MANDATORY , not when it's VOLUNTARY. Before you experts start blasting the guy, let's see what he can do this year. Other than Moorman and McGee, everyone's performance on this team last year should be given the benefit of the doubt because of the brain dead staff that ran this team.

If Willis doesn't improve this year , then he can go. Not because you guys have the opinion that he's a punk.

OpIv37
06-22-2006, 10:01 PM
None of them get special treatment. They are at camp when it's MANDATORY , not when it's VOLUNTARY. Before you experts start blasting the guy, let's see what he can do this year. Other than Moorman and McGee, everyone's performance on this team last year should be given the benefit of the doubt because of the brain dead staff that ran this team.

If Willis doesn't improve this year , then he can go. Not because you guys have the opinion that he's a punk.

I half agree. Clearly a lot of players were held back by the system, but let's not discount the fact that some defensive players may have been helped by the systems we had in 03 and 04 (cough- NATE CLEMENTS-cough). Also, I would hope that we have someone on staff that can evaluate players regardless of the coaching. Yes, some players were held back by the system, but some of them actually do suck. The system didn't smoke Chris Villarial in the Denver game or put Tim Anderson flat on his back on running plays.

patmoran2006
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM

We can definitely AFFORD To keep him with our cap situation, its a matter of wanting too... I dont care if he knocks up 20 Miami slutrags if he comes here in July and runs for 1500 and 13 every year.

bigbub2352
06-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Underutilized last year enough said Mularkey and the offense and Oline he put on the feild last year was a joke, we will see what happens this year

TigerJ
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm happy to have McGahee around for as long as he shows he wants to be here, plays hard and is not a negative influence in the locker room. I'm not sure how long that will be.

1959BillsFan
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
I prefer to be a Bills Fan rather than a mcgahee fan. I would like to see the entire team play like a T-E-A-M with an "all for one attitude.

mcgahee demonstrated that he relies on his individual talent and does NOT recognize that football is a TEAM sport.

It doesn't appear that he wants to play in/for Buffalo, so why should we want him here???

Night Train
06-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm happy to have McGahee around for as long as he shows he wants to be here, plays hard and is not a negative influence in the locker room. I'm not sure how long that will be.

I probably agree with this statement most. I guess I know he's our guy and we need to throw the saddle on his back and see how he responds.

You wanna win ? Ride the RB. It's the only way we ever won.

Let's see how he responds.

Marvelous
06-25-2006, 03:18 AM
Just surfing various sites and I read multiple fans stating they no longer like McGahee. Various reasons were..

- He's not a Buffalo guy
- He's all about the $$
- Didn't attend the OTA's
- The whole Miami U. workout thing
- Drew Rosenhaus
- Afraid he'll tank if he gets the big $$
- never regained his speed
- perceived attitude.
- the "baby momma" article
Funny how the #1 reason isn't mentioned...?

The guy quit on his team last season. The sooner the better.

Marvelous
06-25-2006, 03:19 AM

:lmao:

Jan Reimers
06-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Funny how the #1 reason isn't mentioned...?

The guy quit on his team last season. The sooner the better.
I agree that he quit on the team last year, and have said so more than once. I'm willing to give him another season, however, with a new coaching staff, a better (I hope) O line, a real commitment (I hope) to a power running game, and a more stable (I hope) QB situation.

mush69
06-25-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm going on the record as saying that Willis is great shape and ready for the rock this year. After personally witnessing his motivation and thirst for competition just 2 weeks ago, I can tell you I had a good feeling about him and the upcoming season.

He is in favor of the new coaching staff and really likes what they have prepared for him. Just because he has missed the OTA's and hasn't spent alot of time in Buffalo during the off season does not mean he isn't ready. Granted it will effect his timing and cohesiveness with the first unit, but we got training camp for that to workout.

Willis is a good guy and I found that out first hand, his agent we all know has had some real issues in the league. It really will be interesting when this season is over, and we will have to see how it plays out. For this year though Willis is here and that is all I'm looking at for now. When the season is over this story will continue....

YardRat
06-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to McGahee this season.

I don't like his attitude, I don't like his approach to the OTA's considering we have a new coaching staff, and I'm not convinced yet that he has the talent, desire, or durability to be a franchise back. I also don't like his agent and fully expect (barring injury) a break-the-bank contract demand after this season and still need to be convinced he's worth that kind of money.

I'll give him this year to mature and prove what he can do on the field, see what his contract demands are at the end of the season and then make a decision.

The dude better produce huge numbers, though...no 'bad o-line' or 'piss-poor play calling' excuses this year.

MDFINFAN
06-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to McGahee this season.

I don't like his attitude, I don't like his approach to the OTA's considering we have a new coaching staff, and I'm not convinced yet that he has the talent, desire, or durability to be a franchise back. I also don't like his agent and fully expect (barring injury) a break-the-bank contract demand after this season and still need to be convinced he's worth that kind of money.

I'll give him this year to mature and prove what he can do on the field, see what his contract demands are at the end of the season and then make a decision.

The dude better produce huge numbers, though...no 'bad o-line' or 'piss-poor play calling' excuses this year.

Are you sure about that? While I see the changes on the OL, are they really upgrades, then there's the new O, and then there's the gelling time needed for the new OL to play together, see phins OL in 2004, then the improvement of that same OL in 2004..it does take time..by the end of 2004, we saw improvement in the phins OL, under one OL coach and then the improvement under another, while everyone credits Houck, I also give credit to continuity of having the same OL. Those guys started knowing each other, regardless of the O change and coach change, I think that had 40% to do with the success they had last year. Mcgee is a hell of a running back, the guy is just plain good, instinctive and he makes your OL better than what it really is. The U guys like to work out in FL during the off season. It's hot, they challenge each other, and the numbers during the season for each one of them shows that their off season preparation is surperb, bar none..From Ray Lewis, E. James, Carey, to Mcgee and Sean Taylor and Shockley, those guys are prepared for the season.

YardRat
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'm sure...if he can gain 1200 yards behind what most think was a terrible offensive line last year, he should be able to hit at least 15-1600 with the new players and new system.

If he's anywhere near as good as he thinks he is, anyway.