PDA

View Full Version : PFT: #32 The Buffalo Bills

Mitchy moo
07-02-2006, 10:26 AM
PFT PRESEASON POWER RANKINGS: NUMBER 32
Like many football publications, we've compiled a list of preseason power rankings. Unlike most of the others who rank the teams from No. 1 through No. 32, we've decided to milk this thing like a cow with three udders.
We'll identify one team per day for the next 32, and we'll be doing more than just naming names. We're also taking a look at each team's offseason developments and any key personnel issues that they'll face in 2006. Then, we'll grade each of the skill position players, the defense generally, and the kicker for fantasy purposes, in anticipation of a more comprehensive fantasy preview that will come in August.
Without further adieu, here's number 32.
The Buffalo Bills.
It would have been almost impossible a year ago to envision the Bills as the bottom of the barrel. They were one of the darlings of the 2005 preseason, with folks like Chris Mortensen, Len Pasquarelli, and Merril Hoge picking the Bills to make it to the postseason. Coming off of a 9-7 season in 2004, which featured an 8-2 finish and a playoff berth that evaporated during a home loss on the final day of the season at home against the Steelers (who already had home-field advantage locked up), Buffalo fit the bill of a hot team that might very well carry its late-season success into the next year.
Didn't happen.
After limping (again) to a slow start, the Bills weren't able to turn it around. A season-ending injury to linebacker Takeo Spikes in late September didn't help.
Though they fought their way to 4-5 with seven to play, losing six of their final games, dropping the team to a disappointing 5-11. Along the way, the team's failure to commit to a starting quarterback didn't help, with then-coach Mike Mularkey benching quarterback J.P. Losman in early October and then later giving up on Kelly Holcomb.
But the real fun began after the season. G.M. Tom Donahoe got his long-deserved pink slip, only to be replaced the next day by Marv Levy, an 80-something ex-coach who'd never run a front office. Then it was buh-bye to Mularkey, who awkwardly left the team after Levy (who last coached the team in 1997) returned.
Next, Levy temporarily mused about serving as the head coach before owner Ralph Wilson advised Levy that it wasn't gonna happen. Before too long, Levy hired Dick Jauron, who (in our view) was the most likely of the candidates to take Levy's suggestions about how to do the job that Levy really wanted.
Enter Dick Jauron, failed former coach of the Bears who didn't merit serious consideration to succeed Steve Mariucci in Detroit, even though Jauron had coached the Lions on an interim basis after Mooch was fired in late November.
Things only got worse for the Bills as the offseason unfolded, with defensive tackle Sam Adams, safety Lawyer Milloy, and tight end Mark Campbell getting the boot in the days before an extension to the CBA would have made it easier to keep them. Next up, receiver Eric Moulds forcing his way out of town via a trade.
The only positive addition by subtraction? The team finally flushed the commode on offensive tackle Mike Williams, a top-five pick by Donahoe who never turned into much of anything for the Bills.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

feelthepain
07-02-2006, 10:56 AM
I have no respect for PFT, this is not even a blip on the radar. I find it hard to believe the Bills are the worst team in the NFL.

Stewie
07-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Well, maybe if you had a clue what you were talking about, you'd think differently. But since you are a dolphins fan, we won't hold lack of intelligence against you. :D

If you read the article, it clearly says the Bills probably aren't the worst team. Just the team with the most questions.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, maybe if you had a clue what you were talking about, you'd think differently. But since you are a dolphins fan, we won't hold lack of intelligence against you. :D

If you read the article, it clearly says the Bills probably aren't the worst team. Just the team with the most questions.

That may mean we can give the most answers too.

justasportsfan
07-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Nothing wrong w/ 32. There's no way but up.

MDFINFAN
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Nothing wrong w/ 32. There's no way but up.

Did Justa just say that? wow..:respect:

LtFinFan66
07-02-2006, 02:00 PM

If you read the article, it clearly says the Bills probably aren't the worst team. Just the team with the most questions.he wasn't bashing you guys not sure why the hostility:idunno:

Stewie
07-02-2006, 02:08 PM
he wasn't bashing you guys not sure why the hostility:idunno:

Cause he's a dolphins fan, moron!

:D

(All dolphins fans are morons by definition)

LtFinFan66
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
:mad:

HHURRICANE
07-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Even though I strongly believe that the Bills are rebuilding there is no way that they are the worst team in the league. Matter-of-fact there are alot of teams that are moving in the opposite direction. We are going to get better. No doubt about it.

I guarantee that the Patriots will not be a very good team this year. And even though this hurts to say it I think Miami is going to win the division.

ublinkwescore
07-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I had to groan at your post for saying you think the Dolphins are winning our division.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Well somebody is going to win it & it won't be the Jets.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Pretty difficult to take that analysis seriously when the author says Sam Adams and Laywer Milloy were cut for salary cap reasons, when in fact they were cut because neither one fits into the new defensive scheme the bills want to run on defense. But then again, its PFT and they seem to get off bashing the Marv Levy and Ralph wilson.

Night Train
07-02-2006, 06:00 PM
PFT = aguyinhismomsbasement...dot com...

Florio = :krusty:

BADTHINGSMAN
07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
PFT = aguyinhismomsbasement...dot com...

Florio = :krusty:

:rofl: I know who you are talking about..

patmoran2006
07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Pretty difficult to take that analysis seriously when the author says Sam Adams and Laywer Milloy were cut for salary cap reasons, when in fact they were cut because neither one fits into the new defensive scheme the bills want to run on defense. But then again, its PFT and they seem to get off bashing the Marv Levy and Ralph wilson.

Don't be fooled. You're nutso if you think Adams high cap cost had nothing to do with his release and our "scheme" had everything to do with it.

I'll give you Milloy, the secondary is much more important in pass coverage than a DT. But in stopping the run and getting after a QB, a good DT can fit in ANY system.

Adams was cut because his best days were behind him and even more so, because he had a $3+ million cap figure.

Mitchy moo
07-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Don't be fooled. You're nutso if you think Adams high cap cost had nothing to do with his release and our "scheme" had everything to do with it.

I'll give you Milloy, the secondary is much more important in pass coverage than a DT. But in stopping the run and getting after a QB, a good DT can fit in ANY system.

Adams was cut because his best days were behind him and even more so, because he had a $3+ million cap figure.

Adams was also a fat blob.

Michael82
07-03-2006, 06:49 PM
:rofl: This guy acts like Campbell, Adams and Milloy were the best players in the world. :ill:

Doesn't he realize that none of them fit into our system and wouldn't have been kept even without the cap troubles? :shakeno:

Pro Football Talk = National Enquirer

:yawn:

Bill Brasky
07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
That may mean we can give the most answers too.

:roflmao:

post of the year.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Anyone that says the Patriots aren't going to be a very good team this year is just a bitter football fan. The only weakness I see is the secondary and they have a lot of good young guys there too so it really isn't even that weak. It will be a close race for the division, but I like the Patsies to win it again with the dolphins second the Bills third at 8-8, and how the Jets or 49ers got above us on that list is beyond me.

tat2dmike77
07-04-2006, 12:48 AM
PFT=crap

Mitchy moo
07-04-2006, 01:39 AM
either way they have raised legit questions.

Bill Brasky
07-04-2006, 03:26 AM
either way they have raised legit questions.

That may mean we can provide legit answers.

Jan Reimers
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Why is Levy so universally condemned because of his age? Being older doesn't automatically make you stupid, or slow or out-of-touch. Tom Donahoe was all of those things, and he was not considered old.

Marv should at least be given the chance to ressurect this team before he is crucified by the every all-knowing football expert.

justasportsfan
07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Did Justa just say that? wow..:respect:I think the bills are around 28 more or less which isn't far from 32,so who cares? Ratings aren't facts.

Your dolphins can go from top 10 to bottom with one injury to either Culp or Brown. Not hoping for injury to anyone but just trying to say, ratings can change drastically at any point in time. I'd rather deal with standings than ratings. Right now everyone is 0-0.

DynaPaul
07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with PFT that all of the happenings this past off-season definitely look bad... ON PAPER. Unfortunately, the real results will be reflected in the games being played. We could very well be the bottom of the barrel this season or we could start to gel and have a productive year. I'm hoping this year lays the foundation for some kick ass years to come.

Mr. Cynical
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Next, Levy temporarily mused about serving as the head coach before owner Ralph Wilson advised Levy that it wasn't gonna happen. Before too long, Levy hired Dick Jauron, who (in our view) was the most likely of the candidates to take Levy's suggestions about how to do the job that Levy really wanted.

Enter Dick Jauron, failed former coach of the Bears who didn't merit serious consideration to succeed Steve Mariucci in Detroit, even though Jauron had coached the Lions on an interim basis after Mooch was fired in late November.

IMO, this is the main reason the Bills will fail. (besides the still putird OL)

G. Host
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
IMO, this is the main reason the Bills will fail. (besides the still putird OL)

This is the reason why it will succeed. The Detroit GM is one of the worst in the league and makes bad decisions. I am not saying Jauron wil be All Pro but will get the Bills back on track.

Mr. Cynical
07-06-2006, 02:26 AM
This is the reason why it will succeed. The Detroit GM is one of the worst in the league and makes bad decisions. I am not saying Jauron wil be All Pro but will get the Bills back on track.

I agree - Millen is a total ass clown. But I'm curious as to what Dick has done in the past to give you the confidence he will get the Bills back on track.

Mr. Pink
07-06-2006, 03:11 AM
I agree - Millen is a total ass clown. But I'm curious as to what Dick has done in the past to give you the confidence he will get the Bills back on track.

Because he's Buffalo coach now and everyone we get is "good" DUH!

Jan Reimers
07-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Why does the idiotic author of this PTF article also accuse Marv of hiring the guy who will be most likely "to take Levy's suggestions..." blah blah blah?

If you know anything about, or have read anything about Marv, you know that he is a man of total integrity who will hire the best man available, not some weak yes-man that he can manipulate.

Historian
07-06-2006, 06:50 AM
You're on a roll today Jan.

Thats three thanks in a row I just gave you.

:bf1: