PDA

View Full Version : Why the hate for Willis?

The JuiceBox Guy
07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
One thing I havent been able to figure out here yet is why there seems to be so much hate for Willis McGahee. I see him as a young player who still has some growing up to do but he has a ton of talent. He's been above average his first two years in the NFL, especially coming off such a bad injury and I think with Fairchild's creativity and Jauron as coach the Bills will finally stay committed to running the ball. I know this sounds like a homer thing, but I think McGahee can be a Pro Bowler this year and his numbers over just his first two years back it up.

I wish he'd seem to care a little bit more about Buffalo but how can anyone question his desire and dedication to be a top back in the league?

LtBillsFan66
07-17-2006, 02:12 PM
The "realists" hate everyone who's not a lock for the hall of fame.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
You said it yourself he doesn't care about this city or team or what they are trying to do. He is only in it for himself not the good of the team. He is a typical Miami product that is full of himself. With that said absolutely nobody can deny his upside. He has a boat load of talent that I don't think has even been tapped yet. If somehow this team can bond together and we can find a way to sign him long term then I say do it because he has shown his first year that eventhough he could give a damn he can get the job done when used correctly.

The JuiceBox Guy
07-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Winning and playing in playoff games cures a lot of attitude problems. And if Mularkey was my coach and Clements my OC I'd probably care a lot less.

I dont like that he skipped the OTA's but he works out hard in Miami and I bet he comes in awesome shape for camp. He's a key this year, we need to him to open up the passing game. A Train is a good backup but he's not a starter anymore

Mitchy moo
07-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Winning and playing in playoff games cures a lot of attitude problems. And if Mularkey was my coach and Clements my OC I'd probably care a lot less.

I dont like that he skipped the OTA's but he works out hard in Miami and I bet he comes in awesome shape for camp. He's a key this year, we need to him to open up the passing game. A Train is a good backup but he's not a starter anymore

He already came in awesome shape a month ago so your pointing out a given.

Philagape
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
I wasn't impressed by his effort last season. Especially compared to his mouth. His 3.8-yard average and five TDs were certainly nothing special.

The JuiceBox Guy
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Phil I agree but there were very few people on this team last year who were really impressive. My only point is that it seems some people are closing the book on him after only two years and I think that's crazy.

Willis McGahee had more rushing yards his first two seasons starting that OJ Simpson and Thurman Thomas, and more touchdowns. And I blame the coaches on last year a lot more than players like McGahee.

Richard Gozinya
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
The guy works his ass off, is the best player on the team and is a great team player. Ask Shelton how he felt about being given that first TD ball.

Tough to convert 3rd downs and score TDs when your coach pulls you on 3rd down and goal line situations.

It also didn't help that the OL was a festering heap of turd last year.

Willis will be fine. I'm more worried about OL, QB, and defense.

feelthepain
07-17-2006, 04:39 PM
there were very few people on this team last year who were really impressive.

I would just like to know who's fault you think that is??

Night Train
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Fairchild has lots of plans for #21. I'm also thinking the Bills are more likely to extend him than Nate.

L.A. Playa
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I think there is alot of hate for Willis because he is a successful rich young black man that acts like a regular 22 year old black man in america. he like hip-hop and cars and women.

The majority of people on this board hate the hip-hop culture so as long as a player who acts like someone in the hip hop culture is not producing to their expectations they hate him

Richard Gozinya
07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe Drew Rosenpenis should tell Willis to grow a Joe Dirt mullet and do his next press conference wearing an REO Speedwagon t-shirt, so these mouthbreathing hicks can better relate to him.

feelthepain
07-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I think there is alot of hate for Willis because he is a successful rich young black man that acts like a regular 22 year old black man in america. he like hip-hop and cars and women.

The majority of people on this board hate the hip-hop culture so as long as a player who acts like someone in the hip hop culture is not producing to their expectations they hate him

I think you're way off on that one, and you seem racist with a statement like that. I think the Buff fans have a problem with Willis because his heart's not in it for the Bills. He doesn't seem to want to be a part of the team when players that have been with the team much longer find their way to the OTA's and Willis can't be botherd. I think when Willis makes a claim to be the best RB in the game and then doesn't back up what he says, people tend to take offence to that, as they should.

I also think the Bills organization went out of their way to sign a guy with a huge ? next to his name giving him a chance, and he has problems returning the favor by being a team player?? IMO that comes across as an ingrate. I think there are many reasons that can be found as to why the Bill fans are unhappy with Willis at this point, it could change...if Willis changes. I don't think a players preference of music is a legit reason to dislike them. I'll promise you if Willis were the best back in the league and he acted like he was the luckiest player in the world to be playing football for a living, ya' know, being greatful... Bill fans would love the guy regarless of what music he likes or the color of his skin.

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM

I don't think that has much to do with it. But play the race card with nothing to back it up all you want. I'm sure guys like Thurman Thomas will also disagree with you.

I think Willis is a tremendous talent. I think his confidence is great. And I don't think many people hate him, definetly not a majority.

The one thing that does annoy me about him is that the two skills he needs the most improvement on, blocking and receiving, are better improved by being up here with his coaches learning the techniques he needs. He can (and will) show up in great physical shape, but needs work on the basics of the game in certain areas.

Oh, and one other thing: The jackass of an agent he has. He rubs people the wrong way.

In the end, Bills fans would love a gay, black/hispanic player if he produced to the full extent of his ability and did not have a mouth that exceeded his output. Until McGahee does that, fans won't feel the bond they did with Thurman, Bruce, Jimbo, Andre, Kemp, etc. with Willis.

TigerJ
07-17-2006, 11:00 PM
There are things I don't like about Willis, but I don't hate him. Maybe some it is the need to grow up.

Amare
07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Alright here is the only way I see it, this guy can be 1 of the top backs in the league, true he don't have the speed he possesed in college, but he's working on it. He is the best player on this team and every1 still bashes him. Realist or Homer, they all got to admit it, and if we happened to get rid of him after this year were ****ED!

LtFinFan66
07-18-2006, 06:44 AM
One thing I havent been able to figure out here yet is why there seems to be so much hate for Willis McGahee. I see him as a young player who still has some growing up to do but he has a ton of talent. He's been above average his first two years in the NFL, especially coming off such a bad injury and I think with Fairchild's creativity and Jauron as coach the Bills will finally stay committed to running the ball. I know this sounds like a homer thing, but I think McGahee can be a Pro Bowler this year and his numbers over just his first two years back it up.

I wish he'd seem to care a little bit more about Buffalo but how can anyone question his desire and dedication to be a top back in the league?he needs to bump his ypc average up a half to a whole yard (between 4.5-5 per) to be a pro bowler IMO

BidsJr
07-18-2006, 07:44 AM
he needs to bump his ypc average up a half to a whole yard (between 4.5-5 per) to be a pro bowler IMO

He gets holes, he gets yards.

don137
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Fans want to embrace players that represent Buffalo however it needs to be both ways. The players need to embrace the city and the team. WM has not done that. Throw in his Miami attitude, his me first attitude and his less than expected results and you have a rocky relationship. It has nothing to do with race. Look at Peters. People went nuts on this board and gave him a lot of props and were talking about getting his jersey after he said great things about the city and team when he signed the extension. He embraced the city and the fans have embraced him.

jmb1099
07-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I think you're way off on that one, and you seem racist with a statement like that. I think the Buff fans have a problem with Willis because his heart's not in it for the Bills. He doesn't seem to want to be a part of the team when players that have been with the team much longer find their way to the OTA's and Willis can't be botherd. I think when Willis makes a claim to be the best RB in the game and then doesn't back up what he says, people tend to take offence to that, as they should.

I also think the Bills organization went out of their way to sign a guy with a huge ? next to his name giving him a chance, and he has problems returning the favor by being a team player?? IMO that comes across as an ingrate. I think there are many reasons that can be found as to why the Bill fans are unhappy with Willis at this point, it could change...if Willis changes. I don't think a players preference of music is a legit reason to dislike them. I'll promise you if Willis were the best back in the league and he acted like he was the luckiest player in the world to be playing football for a living, ya' know, being greatful... Bill fans would love the guy regarless of what music he likes or the color of his skin.
If I could thank you more than once for this post I would do it in a hear beat. Great post, hit the nail on the head and drove it home with one shot.

Philagape
07-18-2006, 01:11 PM
He gets holes, he gets yards.

Anybody gets holes, anybody gets yards. If Willis is completely dependent on the line, what makes him different than 30 other RBs?

L.A. Playa
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Fans want to embrace players that represent Buffalo however it needs to be both ways. The players need to embrace the city and the team. WM has not done that. Throw in his Miami attitude, his me first attitude and his less than expected results and you have a rocky relationship. It has nothing to do with race. Look at Peters. People went nuts on this board and gave him a lot of props and were talking about getting his jersey after he said great things about the city and team when he signed the extension. He embraced the city and the fans have embraced him.

whats the Miami attitude ?? the same one he had when he had a succesful first year and fans loved him ??

L.A. Playa
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
once again as long as he performs the color of his skin and his musical preference can be tolerated if he doesnt perfom then this becomes a problem with some fans and the yhate him

Jan Reimers
07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I think Willis has a lot to prove. After proclaiming himself the best running back in the league, he completely tanked the second half of last season. He also chose not to attend the Bills' OTAs this spring and summer, which is indicative of his selfish, arrogant attitude.

But hey, if he runs for 1800 yards and 20 TDs, I'll be his biggest fan.

patmoran2006
07-18-2006, 01:26 PM
3 times in the last 6 games McGahee had a dozen or fewer carries,that sounds like the coaching staff tanked at the end more than anything..

I could care less about OTA's.. All I care about is he comes to Rochester in great shape and ready to play.

chernobylwraiths
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
once again as long as he performs the color of his skin and his musical preference can be tolerated if he doesnt perfom then this becomes a problem with some fans and the yhate him

Take away the color of his skin and music preference and this statement is still true.

Lexwhat
07-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Whats funny is people call Willis a rich, spoiled brat that "parties too much" and is in Miami "knockin up women."

Now personally, I like JP. But when people heard JP's story, that he was poor as a child growing up, they give him props for growin up in tough situations and being able to make it to the NFL by beating the odds...So why no props for Willis as he too went through tough situations and beat the odds? People say "everyone down there in Miami," like they really know what the real Miami is like. I cant speak for anyone specifically on this board, but I'm willing to bet most of you dont have any idea whats it really like.

When people know for a fact that JP parties a lot, and/or talks to women, they say so what? But Willis partyin and messin with women? Uh oh!

The fact is, theres a cultural difference, and some people arent willing to see that. They want Willis to act a certain way or else they wont like him. Personally, I think he needs to start playing better...but I dont see any problem in the way he acts and i especially dont think he needs to act like some people here claim how he should act.

Lexwhat
07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I think Willis has a lot to prove. After proclaiming himself the best running back in the league, he completely tanked the second half of last season. He also chose not to attend the Bills' OTAs this spring and summer, which is indicative of his selfish, arrogant attitude.

But hey, if he runs for 1800 yards and 20 TDs, I'll be his biggest fan.

He chose not to attend OPTIONAL activities. That indicated a selfish, arrogant attitude? For your information, Edgerrin James (who also trains down in Miami) has been called "one of the best teammates I've ever had" by peyton manning. Granted, James is a great player and Willis needs to work to get to James's level. But are you kidding? If Willis skipped a MANDATORY camp to train in Miami, then yes, thats selfish and arrogant.

Would I prefer everyone on the Bills to be together at the OTAs? Yes. But it's optional for a reason.

Dr. Lecter
07-18-2006, 05:00 PM

As proven by the love for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe.

Please. The race issue has nothing to do with the problems have with Willis.

L.A. Playa
07-18-2006, 05:06 PM
the fact of hating him for his play isnt racial, but the attack on his character and name calling that goes on here about him is

Dr. Lecter
07-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Why?

Are you saying that his character can't be called into question? Can TO's? Why can't people question his character without it being racially motivated? Just becuase you don't see issues with his characted does not mean others don't. And they are not necessarily racial.

Personally, I think there are questions. Players like Barry Sanders never proclaimed to be the #1 RB in the NFL. Players like Walter Payton worked
and Thurman Thomas worked onthier games to be better all around backs.Until McGahee shows a total committment to the teamwork aspect of the game rather than the individual aspects, there will always be character questions.

L.A. Playa
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
why does any man have any right to judge another man's charachter.

no man has that right, you dont know what another person has gone through or experienced to mold and shape themself.

no one even knows the context of what is said the real problem is too many people take what is said in the media as gospel and form an opinion based on a reporters point of view rather than getting to know a person and who they are to form their ownn point of view

Dr. Lecter
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
why does any man have any right to judge another man's charachter.

no man has that right, you dont know what another person has gone through or experienced to mold and shape themself.

no one even knows the context of what is said the real problem is too many people take what is said in the media as gospel and form an opinion based on a reporters point of view rather than getting to know a person and who they are to form their ownn point of view

And what are you doing???

You are claiming people are using race for their judgement of Willis. If that is not judging one's character, then I don't what is.

L.A. Playa
07-18-2006, 06:01 PM
im not judging anyone it just seems as if to me that there is a different standard for players that embrace the hip-hop culture to those that dont and even though that the majority of hip-hop music is old to white americans the hip-hop culture is synonomous with black americans.

I am not judging anything I am making an observation, unlike some folks who attack another man's charachter that they dont even know or know all the facts about and resort to calling him names

Philagape
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
One thing I hate more than underachieving RBs is people thinking everything is about race

Dr. Lecter
07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
im not judging anyone it just seems as if to me that there is a different standard for players that embrace the hip-hop culture to those that dont and even though that the majority of hip-hop music is old to white americans the hip-hop culture is synonomous with black americans.

I am not judging anything I am making an observation, unlike some folks who attack another man's charachter that they dont even know or know all the facts about and resort to calling him names

I think people have been pretty rough on a number of athletes that have nothing to do with the hip-hop culture (although whether or not that culture also come sunder attack is another debate) like Bonds, the whacked soccer player from France, Ryan Leaf, Rothlesberger, Rob Johnson (local), Sam Adams to name a few. Some are black. Some are white. Add in the fact that the majority of NFL players are black so it stands to reason that the majority of the criticism will be on blacks and I still don't see any support for your claim. I am more than willing to consider it, if you give me some relevant data/facts to support it.

RockStar36
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I wasn't impressed by his effort last season. Especially compared to his mouth. His 3.8-yard average and five TDs were certainly nothing special.

The coaching and questionable play calling wasn't anything special either.

Philagape
07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
The coaching and questionable play calling wasn't anything special either.

Yeah, but this thread's about Willis.

Lexwhat
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I think people have been pretty rough on a number of athletes that have nothing to do with the hip-hop culture (although whether or not that culture also come sunder attack is another debate) like Bonds, the whacked soccer player from France, Ryan Leaf, Rothlesberger, Rob Johnson (local), Sam Adams to name a few. Some are black. Some are white. Add in the fact that the majority of NFL players are black so it stands to reason that the majority of the criticism will be on blacks and I still don't see any support for your claim. I am more than willing to consider it, if you give me some relevant data/facts to support it.

Please see post #27 above. When theres some talk of Willis partying, growing up, or being with women, then he's arrogant, a "thug," careless, etc. When it's JP, we never hear any of that. Again, I have no problem with either JP or Willis. However, I do not think it's reasonable the way some people can call out only Willis.

I think you yourself (Dr. Lecter) have been fine about it. But there are other people on this board who are not fair about it. Can you honestly say that you havent heard comments like:

1. "Oh they're all thugs down in Miami anyways."
2. "That's the way all of those Miami thugs talk"
3. "Willis needs to stop knockin up women down there in Miami."
4. "Willis needs to stop partying so much."

The first 2 quotes are just plain ignorant. I've seen several people say it. As for the last 2 quotes...again, when JP is partyin or is talkin to girls, its okay?? I mean personally, I think if a player wants to party, he can. If a player wants to have sex with multiple women, then that's his decision. But there's just a difference how some people react when it's WILLIS doing something.

Again, IMO, it's simply the cultural differences that some people just DON'T understand. Some people are overcritical of Willis (see the 4 items above) and they don't take into account the way he has grown up and don't take into account (or just dont know) what black culture is like.

It's okay to make jokes about the way Willis laughs and acts when hes on NFL Network. I can take jokes as much as the next man. But if people are seriously gonna resort to name calling or insulting him because of the way he talks and calling him an arrogant thug...that's just plain ignorant. Again, some people just dont understand (or arent willing to see) that there are innate cultural differences between the way they themselves may have grown up and how a guy like Willis may have grown up.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-20-2006, 01:44 AM

Very astute observation FTP! I believe that this is the case for most of the people who are down on McGahee here--although not necessarily for all.

For my part, while I am not "down" on McGahee and I could care less about what he does off the field as long as he stays out of legal trouble and what he does on his own time does not adversely impact his play, his performance last season did raise some "red flags" for me that have led me to question whether he has what it takes to play a leading role on a team capable of winning a Super Bowl.

What bothered me about his proclamation that he is the best RB in the NFL was not that he feels that way or that he has yet to put up the stats to support that--because I do feel that self-confidence is important to being successful--but that he stated this in the press. To me that was flat out stupid--like running at the mouth before a big game and giving the other team a lot of blackboard material to use to further psyche themselves up. By doing so, McGahee virtually painted a target on himself and gave opposing defenses a reason to circle their games against the Bills. So, for his own personal glorification in the press, McGahee put himself and his teammates on the spot at a time when the team was struggling and in turmoil. To me, that was a sign of selfishness and, most of all, immaturity.

Now, selfishness and immaturity are things that young guys can grow out of. Still, it is something to be concerned about because those are the kinds of things that can undermine a team and a team's efforts to win a Super Bowl.

Of even greater concern, however, was the way that McGahee responded to his mishandling by the coaching staff last season. There is no doubt that M. Mularkey and his staff made a HUGE mistake by limiting McGahee's touches, especially on third downs and particularly in the red zone, the second half of last season. Whether that was to keep from triggering incentive bonuses in his contract or for some other reason, it was ridiculous. But, McGahee's response to this was not very good either: it was obvious that Willis was not running as hard or giving the same amount of effort in the second half of last season after the coaching staff began to limit his touches. I can understand that he was frustrated by what they were doing and that he may have wanted to avoid being injured by playing all out for those coaches, but I have no tolerance for professional players who quit on their teammates, which is what Willis also did in the process. To me this is not only a sign of immaturity and selfishness, but the sign of a lack of character that has nothing to do with hip-hop or race, but rather with the whether the individual in question has the heart and determination to give his all in the face of adversity regardless of the outcome. After watching McGahee perform in the second half of last season, one cannot help but question whether he has or lacks this kind of character--which is necessary in order for one to be the # 1 RB in the NFL as well as to the make-up of a pro football team that is capable of winning a Super Bowl.

To say that it is racist to question whether McGahee has the requisite character and maturity to be a winning player in the NFL is, IMHO, an insult to all of those young, African-American players who are into hip-hop, who may have come from impoverished backgrounds, who have come into the NFL (and other sports) and demonstrated that they possess the kind of maturity and character in the face of adversity that Willis did not demonstrate last season. And, there are plenty of them around the NFL. Only you don't hear too much about them because they have the maturity and character not to let their personal issues impact their performance or that of their team on the field. It isn't about race or background or hip-hop, the issue is character and maturity.

And, that's what I am going to be looking at from McGahee this season. I want to see if he can bounce back from last year's performance with a better effort this season. I want to see if he can demonstrate that he has not only the talent, but the character and maturity to do his job to the best of his ability and overcome adversity when it comes along--as it does for every team in the course of a NFL season. If the Bills are going to decide to rely on him to be one of their leaders and pay him the kind of money that he and his agent are going to want, then he's going to have to show that he is capable of growing into that role. Based on his performance last season, there have to be questions about whether he can and will. That does not mean that he can't or won't, but, based on his performance last season and some of the things that he has said and done off-the-field, it is up to Willis to prove that he can answer those questions affirmatively with better play and a more mature approach this season.

If he does that, there will be little, if any criticism of Willis amongst Bills fans--although I suspect there will continue to be quite a bit of criticism of his agent, who a lot of fans here detest.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-20-2006, 03:38 AM
Please see post #27 above. When theres some talk of Willis partying, growing up, or being with women, then he's arrogant, a "thug," careless, etc. When it's JP, we never hear any of that. Again, I have no problem with either JP or Willis. However, I do not think it's reasonable the way some people can call out only Willis.

I think you yourself (Dr. Lecter) have been fine about it. But there are other people on this board who are not fair about it. Can you honestly say that you havent heard comments like:

1. "Oh they're all thugs down in Miami anyways."
2. "That's the way all of those Miami thugs talk"
3. "Willis needs to stop knockin up women down there in Miami."
4. "Willis needs to stop partying so much."

The first 2 quotes are just plain ignorant. I've seen several people say it. As for the last 2 quotes...again, when JP is partyin or is talkin to girls, its okay?? I mean personally, I think if a player wants to party, he can. If a player wants to have sex with multiple women, then that's his decision. But there's just a difference how some people react when it's WILLIS doing something.

Again, IMO, it's simply the cultural differences that some people just DON'T understand. Some people are overcritical of Willis (see the 4 items above) and they don't take into account the way he has grown up and don't take into account (or just dont know) what black culture is like.

It's okay to make jokes about the way Willis laughs and acts when hes on NFL Network. I can take jokes as much as the next man. But if people are seriously gonna resort to name calling or insulting him because of the way he talks and calling him an arrogant thug...that's just plain ignorant. Again, some people just dont understand (or arent willing to see) that there are innate cultural differences between the way they themselves may have grown up and how a guy like Willis may have grown up.

I have no doubt that there is some merit to your point that some of the criticism has racial undertones and may be based on a lack of appreciation for the cultural differences. But, as I said in my post above, a lot of the criticism is based on questions about McGahee's maturity and character that arose as a result of his performance last season and to say that that criticism is racist is an insult to all of those young, African-American players in the NFL who come from similar backgrounds and are just as much into hip-hop as Willis who have shown much greater maturity and character than he did last season.

Additionally, there are a couple of other factors that also play a big part in the criticism of McGahee, one of which you mentioned, that are not solely racially motivated:

The University of Miami football program has gone out of its way to create an intimidating, anatgonistic and, yes, thuggish image for itself--this goes back to the days when the team showed up for a bowl game in battle fatigues and stomped on its opponents logos, etc. Miami, "Tha U", and its players and alumni have gloried in and promoted this image. Not just the black players, but all of its players, coaches and even the school itself. And, many of its players who have gone on to the NFL have continued to project that image as professional players--including some of the white players, like Jeremy Shockey. While it is well-known that the off-season workout program at Miami is superb--one of the best, if not the best around--the fact that so many NFL players who come from "Tha U" refuse to participate in their own teams' off-season workout programs and OTAs in order to workout at Miami has created a sense that Miami players are arrogant and do not care about their pro teams, let alone those teams' fans. The fact that those players have routinely dismissed the concerns of their teams and the wishes of their coaches to continue to participate in the Miami workout program has fostered a sense that Miami players--those from "Tha U" and the handful of players from other schools that are invited to join them in the program--are indeed arrogant and perpetuating the "thuggish" image that has been embraced by the University of Miami's football program.

Because the majority of the Miami players in the NFL and the majority of the players in the program are black, it may seem that those who are critical of the antagonistic and intimidating "thuggish" attitude of the Miami players and who see those who shun their teams' workouts as being arrogant and selfish are being racist. But, this is not necessarily true. Jeremy Shockey--who is not black--has gotten a lot of criticism here and certainly in the NYC area press for those same things. While Shockey's name has not come up nearly as much as McGahee's has on this board because Willis is a Bill and Shockey doesn't even play in the same division as the Bills, Shockey got a lot of criticism, especially last off-season when he refused to workout with Eli Manning in order to stay in Miami and workout at "That U". So, while there may be some racial undertones, it's really not all about race. A lot of it is about the attitude that has been fostered by the University of Miami football program and that has been brought into the NFL by the players who have played there.

So, a lot of the references about "Miami" that you see here are not about the city, but about the Univerity of Miami football program and the image that it has created for itself and its players. Now, if you want to say that that image is racist, blame that on the university and their people running their football program who created and promote that image and on their players who have bought into it and perpetuated it...and brought it with them to the NFL. There are over 100 universities that have Division 1-A football programs in the US and close to half of the players in those programs are African-American, many of them from disadvantaged backgrounds who are also into hip hop, etc., yet none of them has the reputation that "Tha U" has and very few consistently produce players who have shown as much disregard for their professional teams once they get to the NFL (are you going to say that USC or UCLA players from Compton or Mich. St. players from Detroit or Flint aren't as disadvantaged or into hip hop as black kids from Miami?). But again, it's not about hip hop or race or the City of Miami, it's about a specific attitude/mind-set that has been fostered and perpetuated at "Tha U"--and that's the Miami that most of these posts are referring to.

The other part of the equation that you are missing has to do with McGahee's agent, Drew Rosenhaus. The plain fact is that a lot of the people on this board simply detest Rosenhaus and his tactics. If you read a lot of the critical posts about Willis, invariably Rosenhaus' name comes up--and never in a flattering manner! Given the way that Rosenhaus has managed the careers of several of the players who are his clients, a lot of fans here have suspected Willis' motivation, loyalty and committment to the Bills from the moment that they drafted him. The fact that McGahee has said nothing to assuage those fears and the fact that his performance last year has raised even more questions about his motivation and committment to the team has served to further inflame those concerns. Bills fans don't like players who come across as being more interested in money than in their team--they never have and never will--and that has nothing to do with race or ability: I remember criticisms of Gilchrist, Kemp, Kelly (before he signed), and Bruce Smith, etc. And, a lot of Bills fans are, rightly perhaps, concerned that, because of Rosenhaus, McGahee is just using Buffalo as a stop on the way to a much bigger paycheck elsewhere. Because Willis hired Rosenhaus, they see this as being a sign of McGahee's lack of committment to the Bills. But, this is not about race, it is about money...and the fear that Willis will bolt for greaner pastures the first chance that he gets and leave the Bills in the lurch.

While I happen to agree that it doesn't matter how many children McGahee has or how much he parties in the off-season, etc. as long as it does not adversely impact his play, these issues have and do come up because there are the questions about McGahee's maturity and character that I mentioned above. Now you can argue that it doesn't matter how many children Willis has fathered by different women because "it's a cultural thing", but, at the same time, it can be argued that it does matter when there are questions about whether McGahee has the character to overcome adversity on the football field. If he is willing to walk away from his own child or a "baby-momma" when things get tough, it is legitimate and I would argue not at all racist to wonder if he will want to walk away from his team when things get tough. Given the way McGahee played--obviously not giving a full effort--during the second half of last season, that is definitely a concern for Bills fans: Is his apparent lack of concern for his children and their mothers a sign that he lacks the necessary character to stick by his teammates and overcome the inevitable adversity that a team will face on the way to a Super Bowl?

The questions about his partying have the same basis. The reason that those questions are being raised about McGahee and not Losman at this point is that Losman, while he has gone out partying a lot, demonstrated last season that he was not about to quit on himself or his teammates in the face of adversity. As badly as the coaching staff misused McGahee last season, one can easily argue that Losman was treated much worse and faced a lot more adversity over the course of the season than Willis did. Yet, Losman didn't give up when he very easily could have and came back to play better in the second half of the season than he did at the beginning. Losman has not missed any of the team's workouts and has put in a lot of extra work to try to become a better player. And, Losman has made it clear that his goal is to become the Bills starting QB--that he wants to be with the Bills and that he likes Buffalo. While Willis may be working his tail off in Miami, Bills fans have not seen that and he has done nothing to reassure them that he is as committed to being a Bill as Losman is. Instead, they see McGahee in LA on NFL Network during a week when the team (and Losman) are in Buffalo practicing. Losman may be partying just as much or more than Willis, but he was at the OTAs and has shown that he wants to be with the Bills, McGahee wasn't and he hasn't and Bills fans don't like that.

While I might agree that there may be some racist undertones in some of the comments about McGahee that have been made in some of the posts here, I would strongly disagree that such racism is a factor in most or much of the criticism that McGahee has received here. While it may be true that some of the posts reflect a lack of understanding of cultural differences, I would submit as evidence of the fact that such lack of understanding is not based on racism the unfair criticisms and comparisons that Losman has received for being like Rob Johnson simply because both come from Southern California. I would say that Losman has gotten more heat on that account--despite the fact that both he and Johnson are white--than McGahee has gotten for anything having to do with his race or cultural background!

Again I will say that I don't think that race is nearly the issue that you may think it is. Rather, I believe that questions about whether McGahee has the strength of character and maturity needed to be a leader on a team capable of making it to the Super Bowl (and whether his agent will let him stay with the Bills without wrecking their financial ability to make a SB run) lie at the heart of the negative comments and concerns that you have seen raised in the posts about McGahee here. Based on his performance last season, I believe that some Bills fans have already concluded that he does not and have said so--personally I have yet to come to that conclusion, although I share many of their concerns. If Willis plays hard and up to his abilities all season this year and shows that he is committed to remaining a Buffalo Bill, most Bills fans will take him into their hearts--just as they did T.Thomas and Cookie Gilchrist (whose off-the-field personal life, BTW, made Willis look like an angel!).