PDA

View Full Version : Just to be fair let's critique Losman's performance.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Admittingly, I do not subscribe to the Kelly Holcomb fan club. I have been a proud member of the JPD since its inception. However, if we are going to be critical of Kelly Holcomb's performance, then we should also take an honest look at how Losman fared.

My best friend TIVO and I sat down for several hours to do just that. Here are our thoughts about his performance. By the way, you don't need TIVO to see that our offensive line is just horrendous. Absolutley foul. Seeing how Carolina's 2nd team manhandled our 1st team, maybe we could afford to be a little more kind to Kelly Holcomb. Just a little.

While Losman's overall numbers were modest, I cannot dismiss that he had his share of poor throws. I saw comments earlier about his poor accuracy. I see the point now. While his numbers indicate a 62.5% rate, it should have been much higher because he missed some wide open throws. Like Holcomb, he easily could have been picked off and he probably should have at least once. He lucked out.

I guess the biggest issue I have with Losman is the inconsistency. He'll make the read, fire a bullet across the field in tight coverage, and hit the WR right in the numbers for an 25 yd. gain on 3rd and 8, but then come right back and ground a high percentage throw like the quick out or suffer a delay of game penalty or miss the wide open RB and force the throw downfield instead.

There is no question that J.P. has got some serious talent, the LIVE arm, the excellent speed and elusiveness, but if this performance is any kind of barometer, it still is not good enough. And while it is only the first preseason game, and it is still early, J.P. had better start making some marked imrovement and quickly if we are going to have any chance at a winning season.

In the end I cannot help but wonder how he would perform behind a decent offensive line. Hell I wonder how Kelly Holcomb would perform for that matter. It all begins and ends with the OL and right now I am not very encouraged. But it is early. There is still hope.

DraftBoy
08-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I guess the biggest issue I have with Losman is the inconsistency. He'll ake the read, fire a bullet across the field in tight coverage, and hit the WR right in the numbers for an 25 yd. gain on 3rd and 8, but then come right back and ground a high percentage throw like the quick out or suffer a delay of game penalty or miss the wide open RB and force the throw downfield instead.

This is by far the best analysis of JP to date and the only issue he really has left to prove us on, is his consistency issues. He can have all world talent but without consistency it doesnt matter.

TedMock
08-13-2006, 04:42 PM
great analysis. unbiased and true. you hit the nail on the head with regard to Losman's consistency problems. There is only one way to fix that problem...playing time. Repitition is the best way to gain consistency.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 04:44 PM
JP missed some throws this is true. It is even a concern to me that he skipped a couple of balls to people. That is the biggest concern though as he also showed that he has the ability to hit some throws. He looked MUCH more poised in the pocket as well. He also showed some quick decisions that were the right ones, including throwing off for a one or two yard gain instead of running for a one or two yard gain early.

As I stated in another thread I liked what I saw from him. Sure he was inconsistant, but he hasn't played enough to make him become more consistant and he WON'T become more consistant in another 3 to 5 games. He needs an entire season without having the hook three quarters of the way around his neck ready to pull him. I don't see why that is so hard to realize. This team is not on the brink of a superbowl let alone the playoffs. There are going to be so many young players learning their jobs this year and JP will be no different. Poor throws will come, but they will be/should be less frequent the more a person plays. He certainly won't get any better on the bench. I say start him or cut him.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 04:45 PM
great analysis. unbiased and true. you hit the nail on the head with regard to Losman's consistency problems. There is only one way to fix that problem...playing time. Repitition is the best way to gain consistency.

You beat me to it. :up:

TedMock
08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
You beat me to it. :up:
:posrep:

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Ya'll don't be shy now and throw a litle PR down this way.

:up:

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 05:00 PM
So I think we can all agree that Losman can only improve with increased repetitions. That said, I anticipate reading in Mikey's next camp report that JPL took all the snaps with the 1st unit. We got to get this kid ready for the season opener. He is our best chance.

justasportsfan
08-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree that Losman was inconsistent. But how can he be consistent when they are either doing musical chairs w/ the qb position or changing systems.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. KH was in the same system last year that he's had for 9 years. He certainly had the advantage over JP. Now that they had to start from square one, the vet can't even beat out LOsman who btw is learning the same new system as KH.

Is it true old dogs can't learn new tricks? Maybe, maybe not. But KH sure is behind the learning curve in this situation.

JP was below average to average at best in the first preseason game. Then again, he's never had the oppurtunity to even settle down in the NFL. He was handed a job but didn't have the supporting cast to even get his feet wet. He had vet's who wanted to go w/ the more experienced one. Then there's the Headcaoch who had his head up his ass. Then qb musical chairs. Then a change in system.

JP would've been so much more ahead than where he is right now if he was in Eli's shoes. Even Ben would've been inconsistent if he was with the bills.

JP is where any qb in his shoes would've been.

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Name for me a greatly consistant QB in the NFL. There are none. You JP haters are now trying to grasp straws to keep him on the bench.

62% is 62%. Consistant? I thought he looked damn good considering his OL was allowing guys to run at him untouched, Reed etal are getting hit in the hands wide open and dropping balls.

Stop the hate and please stop trying to hide it and find excuses while trying to SOUND like you aren't. I can take ANY QB in the NFL's game tape and find the exact same things you just pointed out with losman. 62% is 62%.

FlyingDutchman
08-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Silver lining to JPs bad throws, is the fact that they were underthrown. Better underthrown than overthrown.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Name for me a greatly consistant QB in the NFL. There are none. You JP haters are now trying to grasp straws to keep him on the bench.

62% is 62%. Consistant? I thought he looked damn good considering his OL was allowing guys to run at him untouched, Reed etal are getting hit in the hands wide open and dropping balls.

Stop the hate and please stop trying to hide it and find excuses while trying to SOUND like you aren't. I can take ANY QB in the NFL's game tape and find the exact same things you just pointed out with losman. 62% is 62%.

:rofl:

Holy **** dude! Are you implying that I am a closet J.P. Hater? Please tell me that you aren't serious.

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 06:11 PM
:rofl:

Holy **** dude! Are you implying that I am a closet J.P. Hater? Please tell me that you aren't serious.

Yes. Your thread is a joke. You werent unbiased at all. It was another shot at trying to find things wrong with the kid. And again, name for me QB's that perform up to the level you are trying to hold JP too and I will shoot ALL of them down. NONE are as 'consistant' as you want JP to be and that is with them getting EVERY Snap for YEARS with the first string offense.

Not being jerked around by a HC with a losing record and being forced to split time with a career backup. Name the kid the starter, let him take all the first string snaps and if he stays alive behind this crap OL, I bet he is much more 'consistant'. Funny how that works.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Another shot? This is the first time, to my recollection, that I have ever said anything negative about JPL. I was simply trying to be honest. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:17 PM
When I saw Losman's stats I was thrilled. However, after actually sitting down and watching every play, I think the stats are a little misleading and JPL needs to play better. For example, it is unacceptable for the offense to be getting delay of game penalties. That falls on his shoulders and he needs to get his act together. That is all I am saying. I'm not bashing him. I have been one of his biggest supporters I think but I am not going to sit here and make excuses for him either. It is what it is.

djjimkelly
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Another shot? This is the first time, to my recollection, that I have ever said anything negative about JPL. I was simply trying to be honest. So I don't know what you're talking about.

im sorry watch game again he threw 3 bouncers short and 2 into tight coverage. rest where drops!!!

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
This thread was/is not an effort to explain why Losman isn't further along in his progression. I think we all have our own opinions about that. Stop beating the dead horse please. All I was doing was offering my assessment of JPL's performance in this one game. Just this game. And I was trying to be as honest objective as I possibly could be.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 06:26 PM

You are just a hater! Just admit it and set yourself free. :D

Oh, don't mention that the majority of this completions were against Carolina's second team either unless you want to be jumped on again.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:27 PM
im sorry watch game again he threw 3 bouncers short and 2 into tight coverage. rest where drops!!!

I will. Thanks.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
This thread was/is not an effort to explain why Losman isn't further along in his progression. I think we all have our own opinions about that. Stop beating the dead horse please. All I was doing was offering my assessment of JPL's performance in this one game. Just this game. And I was trying to be as honest objective as I possibly could be.

Quit trying to be all negative! JP was very good and well on his way to a HOF career!

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
When I saw Losman's stats I was thrilled. However, after actually sitting down and watching every play, I think the stats are a little misleading and JPL needs to play better. For example, it is unacceptable for the offense to be getting delay of game penalties. That falls on his shoulders and he needs to get his act together. That is all I am saying. I'm not bashing him. I have been one of his biggest supporters I think but I am not going to sit here and make excuses for him either. It is what it is.

there is NOTHING Misleading. 62% is 62%. Three scoring drives is still 3 scoring drives. The offense looking better with him in there is still looking better with him in there.

Bottom line, 100% different QB and doing everything the fans errr...his haters said he needed to do in order to lead this team. But now we have this new attack on him.

Bottom line, he won't look anything like he does now when they finally cut the crap, name him the starter and week in and week out he gets the meat of the reps with the first string.

To be 'consistant; you have to have consistancy with the guys you play with. JP has been allowed none to little to this point

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM

It was neither fair nor objective.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
You are just a hater! Just admit it and set yourself free. :D

Oh, don't mention that the majority of this completions were against Carolina's second team either unless you want to be jumped on again.

Goosefrabba...

I don't mind getting "jumped on." Making a statement and defending that statement is the whole point.

:respect:

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I agree that Losman was inconsistent. But how can he be consistent when they are either doing musical chairs w/ the qb position or changing systems.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. KH was in the same system last year that he's had for 9 years. He certainly had the advantage over JP. Now that they had to start from square one, the vet can't even beat out LOsman who btw is learning the same new system as KH.

Is it true old dogs can't learn new tricks? Maybe, maybe not. But KH sure is behind the learning curve in this situation.

JP was below average to average at best in the first preseason game. Then again, he's never had the oppurtunity to even settle down in the NFL. He was handed a job but didn't have the supporting cast to even get his feet wet. He had vet's who wanted to go w/ the more experienced one. Then there's the Headcaoch who had his head up his ass. Then qb musical chairs. Then a change in system.

JP would've been so much more ahead than where he is right now if he was in Eli's shoes. Even Ben would've been inconsistent if he was with the bills.

JP is where any qb in his shoes would've been.

I can't believe ICE thanked this post.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
ICE I agree with everything you are saying except your ideas about my intention to "hate" on JPL. I am not arguing that JPL was given a short deck to work with, I am just telling it like it is, from my perspective. That's all. We can agree to disagree brutha.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I can't believe ICE thanked this post.

:snicker:

In his excitement he must have missed the average to below average remark. That's ICE for you. ICE welcome back buddy.

Philagape
08-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Drive 4 Five has been one of JP's most consistent supporters.

Do you think he is satisfied? I bet JP is poring over films to see what he did wrong. THAT'S HOW PLAYERS IMPROVE.

edited by shelby for TOS violation.

jmb1099
08-13-2006, 06:44 PM
The qb topic is always going to be hot, but this is now borderline ridulous. First its the first pre season game and he's playing for a starting position so its natural to assume he would initially be nervous. Second its the first pre season game so delay of game penalties, while never good, can be expected. Third, its the first pre season game and the first time this year there has been any contact for buffalo as Jauron doesn't allow full contact in practice. Now consider that Losman hit 62.5% of his passes, lead three scoring drives, and didn't throw a pick and his performance was decent. He will get better with more practice and considering the limited reps he's had at camp he looked pretty good.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Only a pussy can't take constructive criticism, and only a dumb ass thinks JP had a flawless game. Do you think he is satisfied? I bet JP is poring over films to see what he did wrong. THAT'S HOW PLAYERS IMPROVE.

Exactly. I like how you put things.

jmb1099
08-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Holy cow!!! tell us how you really feel!!!

Only a pussy can't take constructive criticism, and only a dumb ass thinks JP had a flawless game. Do you think he is satisfied? I bet JP is poring over films to see what he did wrong. THAT'S HOW PLAYERS IMPROVE.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
The qb topic is always going to be hot, but this is now borderline ridulous. First its the first pre season game and he's playing for a starting position so its natural to assume he would initially be nervous. Second its the first pre season game so delay of game penalties, while never good, can be expected. Third, its the first pre season game and the first time this year there has been any contact for buffalo as Jauron doesn't allow full contact in practice. Now consider that Losman hit 62.5% of his passes, lead three scoring drives, and didn't throw a pick and his performance was decent. He will get better with more practice and considering the limited reps he's had at camp he looked pretty good.

The only thing that is ridiculous is how people keep missing that I am simply critiquing his performance for just this one game, and not an analysis of JPL's career. Next week it could be different if he makes better decisions with the ball and puts up a TD to boot.

Here's to hoping that he does just that...

:beers:

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 07:02 PM
The only thing that is ridiculous is how people keep missing that I am simply critiquing his performance for just this one game, and not an analysis of JPL's career. Next week it could be different if he makes better decisions with the ball and puts up a TD to boot.

Here's to hoping that he does just that...

:beers:

No the only thing rediculous is you trying to vail a swipe at JP and then get offended when its called what it is.

Kerr
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
No the only thing rediculous is you trying to vail a swipe at JP and then get offended when its called what it is.

Oh brother...:mehmeh:

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 07:10 PM

1) this is a clear cut TOS Violation. Funny how a Mod thanked then ignored it.

2) Note where I said he had a flawless game.

3) Constructive Criticism is one thing, vailed stupid cheap shots are another. People are now micro nitpicking to try and find reasons for JP to fail/ Not get the job.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
1) this is a clear cut TOS Violation. Funny how a Mod thanked then ignored it.

2) Note where I said he had a flawless game.

3) Constructive Criticism is one thing, vailed stupid cheap shots are another. People are now micro nitpicking to try and find reasons for JP to fail/ Not get the job.

1) It is only a TOS violation if he named a person who he was talking about. The fact that everyone knows who he is talking about makes it that much more ingenious.

2) You might not have said he had a flawless game, but the fact that you jumped on anyone who pointed out the flaws shows just how insecure you are.

3) I don't believe you know the difference between the two. Many who are pointing out the things he did wrong not only want him to succeed but are hoping he starts all year.

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
1) It is only a TOS violation if he named a person who he was talking about. The fact that everyone knows who he is talking about makes it that much more ingenious.

2) You might not have said he had a flawless game, but the fact that you jumped on anyone who pointed out the flaws shows just how insecure you are.

3) I don't believe you know the difference between the two. Many who are pointing out the things he did wrong not only want him to succeed but are hoping he starts all year.

No its a TOS but its allowed because it was aimed at me, which is fine.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 07:47 PM

What's even more ridiculous is how some people get offended whenever JPL is criticized, as if they themselves were critcized.

Philagape
08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
JP's performance MUST have been flawless, because anyone who says there were flaws is a hater. :rolleyes:

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
JP's performance MUST have been flawless, because anyone who says there were flaws is a hater. :rolleyes:

No but those nitpicking and trying to find continual excuses to keep him benched are haters.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 07:58 PM

I find this absolutely rediculous.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
No its a TOS but its allowed because it was aimed at me, which is fine.

Oh, a martyr. OK St. ICE.

Kerr
08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
No but those nitpicking and trying to find continual excuses to keep him benched are haters.

Not many people are trying to keep him on the bench, rather on the field.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Wasn't the poll like 74 votes for JP and like 4 for Holcomb? ICE man you just need to chill out dude we are all behind JP here. I am just as big a JP supporter as anyone here, but I know he didn't play perfect. I also know that he improved big time over last year. Considering what he has to work with I would say he did pretty damn good, but you can't ignore the low balls. It will all come together over time.

Ickybaluky
08-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Personally, I think is it pretty obvious Losman should be playing over Holcomb, if only because he has the potential to be their long-term solution at QB (which Holcomb does not, even if he plays well).

That said, I watched the game on NFL Network and came away thinking two things about Losman:

- He holds the ball too long and needs to be more decisive. He seems to hesitate sometimes, even when the guy is open. When throwing timing routes you can't wait to throw the ball, you have to throw to a spot based on your read of the defense. Even being a hair late can hurt, like he did on a nice throw to Sam Aiken in the 3rd quarter for a completion. Losman did everything right and threw a nice pass, but he was a little late getting rid of it and threw the ball behind Aiken. Aiken made the catch, but because he reached back for the ball there was no run-after-catch.

- Losman should be given free rein to run, but has to be smart about it. His ability to scramble is a weapon, but he needs to be smart enough to know when it is time to slide or get out of bounds. He also needs to be aware of when it is time to throw the ball away, and not try to make a big play.

Overall, I think his performance was somewhat uneven. There were good and bad things, and his protection wasn't great at times.

THATHURMANATOR
08-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I thought JP looked much better than Holcomb.

TacklingDummy
08-14-2006, 09:00 AM

You may want to watch the game again. How about the one where Aikens was wide open for a TD and JP over throws it, 10 yards out of bounds?

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Good Assessment NE39. I don't think that ANYONE here questions who should be starting at this point, but our young QB has alot of improving to do if he is going to put it on your Patriots come 9/10. You're absolutely right about the hesitation that continue to plague him. It is as if he is afraid to make mistakes rather than just going out and playing. That is the coaching staff's fault. The need to quit dicking around (no pun intended) and name Losman the starter now.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:23 AM
You may want to watch the game again. How about the one where Aikens was wide open for a TD and JP over throws it, 10 yards out of bounds?

Man that would have been a b-e-a-u-t-i-****-l play had he connected for that TD. It made my stomach hurt. I guarantee we'd be having a much different conversation had he nailed that one. Those are the throws he has to make. His opponents will never respect him until he does. J.P. hits a few of those and you can bet those blitzes will cease and the running game will open up. I heard someone else say that he was hit but I didn't see it. To me it looked as if he missed. Plain and simple.

BillsFever21
08-14-2006, 09:24 AM

The first delay of game wasn't his fault. The coaching staff was late getting the play in. The clock was ticking down as they were going to the line. They were only under center for few seconds. Even Tasker noted that.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:25 AM
I thought JP looked much better than Holcomb.

Even the hardiest of Holcombites cannot deny that. Kelly sucked. I hope for our sake that he gets his **** together too becuase we need a solid backup.

BillsFever21
08-14-2006, 09:26 AM
You can't complete every pass. He made some nice throws. He missed a couple throws he should've made. That happens to every QB in every single game every single week.

If he would complete every single pass that has a chance to be completed he would have an 85% completion percentage.

He missed a couple throws. Every QB does. Are they inconsistent too?

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:27 AM
The first delay of game wasn't his fault. The coaching staff was late getting the play in. The clock was ticking down as they were going to the line. They were only under center for few seconds. Even Tasker noted that.

Nope I disagree. No matter what the situation, in the end it falls on the QB to get the play in. I heard one of the commentators make that same point.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:31 AM
You can't complete every pass. He made some nice throws. He missed a couple throws he should've made. That happens to every QB in every single game every single week.

If he would complete every single pass that has a chance to be completed he would have an 85% completion percentage.

He missed a couple throws. Every QB does. Are they inconsistent too?

It wasn't that he missed BF21, it was the manner in which he did it. Throwing short passes into the ground? throwing passes behind the receivers on several occasions, even ones that were caught? Many of you sat here and bashed Holcomb for the exact same thing. Yes Kelly threw a pick but J.P. easily could have had the same thing happen to him with some of the decisions he made. Like I told ICE, we'll just have to agree to disagree man.

BillsFever21
08-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Nope I disagree. No matter what the situation, in the end it falls on the QB to get the play in. I heard one of the commentators make that same point.

So if the coaching staff gets the play in late while the QB is waiting it's his fault? Ok.

So of the staff didn't get the play in and the QB just ran up there and called a play himself real quick and it ended up a disaster that would be his fault too.

It's not the QB's fault if the staff was too slow and incompetent to get the play in quickly.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Gotta get to work fellas, look forward to continuing this discussion later.

:peace:

BillsFever21
08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
It wasn't that he missed BF21, it was the manner in which he did it. Throwing short passes into the ground? throwing passes behind the receivers on several occasions, even ones that were caught? Many of you sat here and bashed Holcomb for the exact same thing. Yes Kelly threw a pick but J.P. easily could have had the same thing happen to him with some of the decisions he made. Like I told ICE, we'll just have to agree to disagree man.

I understand what you're saying. I've never seen Farve throw a bad pass that ended up short of the WR or throw a pass behind a WR.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
So if the coaching staff gets the play in late while the QB is waiting it's his fault? Ok.

So of the staff didn't get the play in and the QB just ran up there and called a play himself real quick and it ended up a disaster that would be his fault too.

It's not the QB's fault if the staff was too slow and incompetent to get the play in quickly.

Find me proof that the coaches were late, that it was their fault. What the QB can't call a timeout? He can't audible? It is about managing the game man.

Ickybaluky
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Find me proof that the coaches were late, that it was their fault. What the QB can't call a timeout? He can't audible? It is about managing the game man.

I don't know if Fairchild has implemented an audible system or not, but in St. Louis there were no audibles. Most teams running the Sid Gilman offense (Washington, KC, St. Louis) don't audible, they just run the play that is called.

Philagape
08-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Is there anyone here who doesn't want JP to improve? Anyone who thinks JP has reached his peak and is right where we want him to be? I don't believe that, and no one can question my pro-JP stance.

Yes, 62% is good, but 65% is better. And 68% is better than that. I wouldn't respect any athlete (or fan of that athlete) who got offended when someone offered constructive criticism.

And it WAS constructive. This thread isn't about JP vs. Holcomb (and anyone who has followed the boards would know that). It's not about wanting him to fail, it's about wanting him to succeed. It's about wanting our QB to get better and not settling. Three scoring drives is good, but four would have been better. Touchdowns would have been better than field goals. That's not to cast any negative light on what he did, but it's to set high goals for the future.

It's a no-brainer that he's ahead of Holcomb, so let's set the bar higher. With the physical skill he has, JP should be pushed, and he says he wants to be pushed, not coddled. A good athlete doesn't overlook his mistakes, but acknowledges them and tries to learn from them.

djjimkelly
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM

i forgot about that 1 actually but if anyone is expecting JP to connect on every 40 yard pass is dreaming lets all just say we want JP to succeed and that he look pretty solid he wasnt perfect but no QB is perfect on every pass.

Philagape
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Losman Still Not Satisfied

After Monday morning's walk through practice at St. John Fisher, J.P. Losman stayed on the field an extra 20 minutes to work on some of his mechanics with fellow quarterback Kliff Kingsbury. After reviewing his performance in Saturday night's preseason game on film with his coaches, Losman is focused on sharpening up his fundamentals.

"In that first game some bad habits came back that I definitely have to correct," said Losman. "So there are some footwork things that I'm going to be working on this week."

Losman, who said he felt more comfortable in his approach to the game and handling the atmosphere as well as the responsibilities of the position, found his footwork in the pocket was not up to par.

"When you go out there with a new offense you're only thinking about the offense," said Losman. "You're thinking about the reads and defense and you kind of lose focus on what you've worked so hard on. Coach Fairchild and Turk (Schonert) have tried to show me some new footwork with different steps and different rhythms with respect to the passing game. So at times I reverted back to my old footwork which was unacceptable."

The results of that poor footwork were some inaccurate passes that fell short of their intended targets Saturday night, even though Losman completed better than 62 percent of his passes (15-24).

"My footwork in the game disrupted that timing I've been working hard on," said Losman. "That's why I was out here working on some extra things to get my feet right like taking a deep breath and slowing down, which is what the coaches want me to do. I'm working on it."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3977

Losman hates himself!!!!!

TigerJ
08-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Losman was inconcistent. I think we have a consensus on that. It was also apparent, at least to me, that he improved during the course of the game. He reduced the number of errant throws and by the end of his game stint, he really qas pretty accurate on most throws. That tells me that he was nervous and excited at the start of his stint. The TV play by play guy and color man commented that he was making good reads and the right throws, but some of his throws were a little wild. That is an improvement from last year where in his excitement, he often made bad reads. He's not good enough, to be sure, but I see no reason why we should not expect that as he grows more confident and relaxed, his accuracy is going top go up.

PS. Solid play by the offensive line cannot but help.

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Losman Still Not Satisfied

After Monday morning's walk through practice at St. John Fisher, J.P. Losman stayed on the field an extra 20 minutes to work on some of his mechanics with fellow quarterback Kliff Kingsbury. After reviewing his performance in Saturday night's preseason game on film with his coaches, Losman is focused on sharpening up his fundamentals.

"In that first game some bad habits came back that I definitely have to correct," said Losman. "So there are some footwork things that I'm going to be working on this week."

Losman, who said he felt more comfortable in his approach to the game and handling the atmosphere as well as the responsibilities of the position, found his footwork in the pocket was not up to par.

"When you go out there with a new offense you're only thinking about the offense," said Losman. "You're thinking about the reads and defense and you kind of lose focus on what you've worked so hard on. Coach Fairchild and Turk (Schonert) have tried to show me some new footwork with different steps and different rhythms with respect to the passing game. So at times I reverted back to my old footwork which was unacceptable."

The results of that poor footwork were some inaccurate passes that fell short of their intended targets Saturday night, even though Losman completed better than 62 percent of his passes (15-24).

"My footwork in the game disrupted that timing I've been working hard on," said Losman. "That's why I was out here working on some extra things to get my feet right like taking a deep breath and slowing down, which is what the coaches want me to do. I'm working on it."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3977

Losman hates himself!!!!!

Funny how he gets it but some of you just don't seem to understand. I have to say that i am quite pleased that J.P. doesn't have the attitude that mnay of you have, which is why he is going to be a damn good QB in this league.

justasportsfan
08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
MOst qb's in the league get most of the snaps with their first team. They will all most likely look better than any of our qb's who are splitting time w/ the first unit at camp and preseason games. Our OL is gonna have to adjust to whoever is back there and it's hard to do so when the qb's are always being swapped.

Jp is getting more reps this time but it still isn't gonna be enough because the 1st team has to be intact and build chemistry during the offseason and isn't happening w/ this team. This is why the qb competition should stop. Hopefully JP will do better this weekend and end it all and get 99% of the snaps w/ the first team til' regular season starts.

The rest of the league is ahead of us because of all this qb competition stuff. It has to end this weekend.

Let Nall battle it out w/ Holcomb for the 2nd spot.