PDA

View Full Version : bills finishing 2nd according to this guy....

CuseJetsFan83
08-23-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9612861

funniest part is he has the dolphins in dead last.......... lol... if my dream can only come true ;-)

OpIv37
08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I disagree completely.

I think it will be

NE
Fish
Bills
Jets

The Fish and Pats will fight it out for the division title and the Bills and Jets will be struggling wtih each other to stay out of the basement.

CuseJetsFan83
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I disagree completely.

I think it will be

NE
Fish
Bills
Jets

The Fish and Pats will fight it out for the division title and the Bills and Jets will be struggling wtih each other to stay out of the basement.

like i've said, i agree with that, both the bills and jets SHOULD be rebuilding but in no way does it guarantee it.... hell the fish could have the same things that happened to the jets, and magically one of our teams could be destined to win the afc east.......

im just wondering how he has the jets anywheres no on the doormat......... but hell, i'd be fine with that prediction

Earthquake Enyart
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I can see the fish having a meltdown and us finishing second.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
HAha! Pricso is anti-fins and a jets homer. I doubt he really believes the bills will finish 2nd. I think he'd rather pick on the fins than say anything bad about his jets finishing last.
I doubt we'll finish 2nd but it wouldn't have to be a miracle to do so if everything falls into place.

ShadowHawk7
08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I just see Miami being the team we were in 03 where everyone hyped us to make it to the playoffs and maybe even the Super Bowl coming off a solid finish in 02. We started great drubbing the Pats 31-0 and then the Jags, but after that it went downhill from there becoming one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory. I could definitley see that happening to the Fins.

feelthepain
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Go to the bottom it says the AFC in order of finish and it has NE first Miami second then Buf then the Jets, the graph with the helmets is just out of order, look at the quotes next to the helmets first it's NE then a quoute about Miami then Buff then the Jets. Prisco predicts Miami a playoff team and Bufflo to finish no better then 8-8 because he doesn't feel Buff has a good QB situation. Nice try though!

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
The phins did add Culpepper and have solid receiving and Rbs, but how is their o line? Isn't their defense VERY old? I expect them to be better than the Bills but how good are they really?

mybills
08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I disagree completely.

I think it will be

NE
Fish
Bills
Jets

NE @ #1?
:rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Why is that funny?

mybills
08-23-2006, 03:08 PM
You'll see, THURM.

TigerJ
08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
There is a "disconnect" between his little chart with the precidted order of finish and what he says about the teams in the article. About Miami he says, "Saban is building something special in South Florida and he's the right guy for the job. If they can keep Culpepper on the field, the Dolphins could push for a playoff spot." About the Bills he says, "Even so, this is an 8-8 team at best." And about the Jets he says, "This team is young and will need to get some great efforts from some young players to even get to six victories." That just doesn't compute to a predicted order of Patriots, Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. Rather it looks like the consensus prediction of Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, and Jets.

North_Coast
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
The phins did add Culpepper and have solid receiving and Rbs, but how is their o line? Isn't their defense VERY old? I expect them to be better than the Bills but how good are they really?

How is their oline? Well, Bennie Anderson is their starting RG, so that should tell you how good it is!

Last year they had Ricky and Ronnie. This year they have Ronnie and ... Sammy Morris, Travis Minor, and Kay-Jay Harris.

They've got 34-year-old Big Daddy backing up 37 year old Keith Traylor with 30 somethings Zgonina and Jason Taylor on the ends. I don't know if Zgonina is a starter, though.

Senior Seau is gone, but oldie Zach Thomas is still around. I think the rest of the LBs are younger, but not top notch. They were eager to trade for Courtney Watson but that fell through, so they must not be all that happy with their backup LBs.

The Carp's secondary is a collection of journeymen (Will Allen), never weres, and rookies (Jason Allen) with some injury problems. They've given up 550+ passing yards in 2 preseason games.

I could see this team finishing at the bottom of the AFCE. If any of the oldies on the DL suddenly lose a step (which can happen easily at their advanced ages!), the Carp won't be able to stop anybody, and with Mularkey as the OC, it's unlikely that Culpepper is going to get many downfield throws -- or have the time to throw them!

mybills
08-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, TJ. He's all over Brady's jock strap. Belichick's too.

OpIv37
08-23-2006, 03:20 PM
NE @ #1?
:rofl:

sorry but you're wrong. NE won't be as good as they've been in the past, but there's no one who can take them in the AFCE. They will benefit from an easy schedule and a lack of competition in the division and end up in the playoffs again. They won't go far, but they'll be there.

mybills
08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
They aren't the NE Vinateri's anymore, you mean.
Miami has a better chance than them to be 1st.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 03:27 PM

I could see this team finishing at the bottom of the AFCE. If any of the oldies on the DL suddenly lose a step (which can happen easily at their advanced ages!), the Carp won't be able to stop anybody, and with Mularkey as the OC, it's unlikely that Culpepper is going to get many downfield throws -- or have the time to throw them!
HOw I wish you are correct

OpIv37
08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
They aren't the NE Vinateri's anymore, you mean.
Miami has a better chance than them to be 1st.

with culpepper and their geriatric D? Miami's on their way up but they aren't there yet.

This may be a surprise to you, but Vinatieri didn't win all those games by himself. He had 52 other guys (most of which are still there) and one hell of a coach helping them out.

Don't get me wrong- I can't wait to see NE fall on their face and go back to being 2-14 like they're supposed to. But it aint happenin yet.

Bufftp
08-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Go to the bottom it says the AFC in order of finish and it has NE first Miami second then Buf then the Jets, the graph with the helmets is just out of order, look at the quotes next to the helmets first it's NE then a quoute about Miami then Buff then the Jets. Prisco predicts Miami a playoff team and Bufflo to finish no better then 8-8 because he doesn't feel Buff has a good QB situation. Nice try though!

From the article
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=235 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD class=bg0font align=middle colSpan=3>Predicted Order of Finish</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TD width="40%">1. Patriots (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/NE)</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">2005: 10-6</TD><TD width="10%">Rank</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>http://images.sportsline.com/images/nfl/features/helmets/NE.gif (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/NE)</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pts Scored: 379</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pts Allowed: 338</TD></TR><TR><TD>Off. Yds/G: 352.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Def. Yds/G: 330.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Give/Take: -6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>10</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>18</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>7</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>26</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>20</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR class=bg1><TD>2. Bills (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF)</TD><TD align=middle>2005: 5-11</TD><TD>Rank</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>http://images.sportsline.com/images/nfl/features/helmets/BUF.gif (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF)</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pts Scored: 271</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pts Allowed: 367</TD></TR><TR><TD>Off. Yds/G: 257.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Def. Yds/G: 343.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Give/Take: +4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>24</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>24</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>28</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>29</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>13</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR class=bg1><TD>3. N.Y. Jets (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/NYJ)</TD><TD align=middle>2005: 4-12</TD><TD>Rank</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>http://images.sportsline.com/images/nfl/features/helmets/NYJ.gif (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/NYJ)</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pts Scored: 240</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pts Allowed: 355</TD></TR><TR><TD>Off. Yds/G: 248.1</TD></TR><TR><TD>Def. Yds/G: 308.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Give/Take: -6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>29</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>23</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>31</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>12</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR class=bg1><TD>4. Dolphins (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/MIA)</TD><TD align=middle>2005: 9-7</TD><TD>Rank</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>http://images.sportsline.com/images/nfl/features/helmets/MIA.gif (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/MIA)</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pts Scored: 318</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pts Allowed: 317</TD></TR><TR><TD>Off. Yds/G: 324.9</TD></TR><TR><TD>Def. Yds/G: 317.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Give/Take: +1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>15</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>16</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>14</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>18</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>14</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mybills
08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Op. Without Vinateri, they're just as crappy as the other 3 teams, so anything can happen.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 03:36 PM
How is their oline? Well, Bennie Anderson is their starting RG, so that should tell you how good it is!

Last year they had Ricky and Ronnie. This year they have Ronnie and ... Sammy Morris, Travis Minor, and Kay-Jay Harris.

They've got 34-year-old Big Daddy backing up 37 year old Keith Traylor with 30 somethings Zgonina and Jason Taylor on the ends. I don't know if Zgonina is a starter, though.

Senior Seau is gone, but oldie Zach Thomas is still around. I think the rest of the LBs are younger, but not top notch. They were eager to trade for Courtney Watson but that fell through, so they must not be all that happy with their backup LBs.

The Carp's secondary is a collection of journeymen (Will Allen), never weres, and rookies (Jason Allen) with some injury problems. They've given up 550+ passing yards in 2 preseason games.

This is what I was thinking, and Dante is coming off MAJOR knee surgery and was never the smartes QB out there.

OpIv37
08-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Op. Without Vinateri, they're just as crappy as the other 3 teams, so anything can happen.

Guess you're right on the agree to disagree thing. Losing Vinatieri hurts, but I think you're giving him too much credit. It might cost them 2-3 wins. In a division where 9-7 could win it, those 2-3 wins aren't exactly a death blow.

Even without Vinatieri, I think NE is still slightly better than Miami and leagues ahead of the Bills and Jets.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
He was a kicker.... One of least important players on the team. Yes he was good but replaceable.

feelthepain
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Our Oline should be somewhere near the top 10 after all is said and done this year. We made big strides last year and we will make strides this year thanks to Hudson Houck, he was great in Dallas and San Diego and he's making progress in Miami. By adding Culpepper it allows us to do more things down the field. Making Ronnie Browns life better and the Olines life better. Mike Mularkey will not be allowed to dink and dunk in Miami because Saban like s to go deep as much as he likes to run the ball forcing Mike Mularkey to adjust his style, it will be Sabans way or the highway. Teams with good QB have success because they have the ability to make plays. Daunte will be in every teams gameplan when we play them. Gus was an after thought to most teams last year.

Our D was stout, we had the second most sacks in the league last year and we have a real nice rotation for the front seven with a nice mix of youth and experience. We have older players everywhere on the front seven but we also have youth and depth so the older players won't be on the field all the time. We have young LB's, DE's and DT's that will see significant playing time as Saban starts to phase in the players he's added the last two years. Our secondary is young and fast they will experience some growing pains as they get use to each other, but by midseason I see them making big strides. We went from older slower DB's to faster bigger stronger DB's which is a trademark style of DB's in a Saban Defense.

With a little luck we could battle for the division title. It's not unheard of for teams to go from worst to first in just one season, so it isn't at all a stretch to think Miami could improve 3 games over last year and that would make us 12-4. That is a number that coud win the division.With Daunte at the Helm, Saban and Ronnie going into their second season, the upgrades on the Oline and secondary it would be fair to say we could improve three games from one year to the next.

ST's, we have a superb unit they will be one of the top ST units in the league this year. Put it all together we are imporved at just about every position.

Mitchy moo
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Guess you're right on the agree to disagree thing. Losing Vinatieri hurts, but I think you're giving him too much credit. It might cost them 2-3 wins. In a division where 9-7 could win it, those 2-3 wins aren't exactly a death blow.

Even without Vinatieri, I think NE is still slightly better than Miami and leagues ahead of the Bills and Jets.

I really think the whole division is a toss up. We jumped up early on Miami last year in Miami and in NE as well. We we're just outthought during both games and had issues with ignorant players and coaches. They are all gone now and we can take the victory instead of the excuses we make.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree with what you are saying FTP but you must admit your d is very old and there is a possibility they could take a major step back. Plus I find it hard to believe any O line with Bennie Anderson starting will be a top ten unit as he is horrendous!

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Those "oldies" allowed the fewest points in the division last season and had 49 sacks. The starters have also been very stingy in limited action in the preseason.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
[quote=Bufftp]From the article[quote]

Go back a read the article. This is also stated just before the more detailed review:

A look at the AFC East in predicted order of finish:

His comments also clearly state that he predicts NE to win the division, Miami may challenge for a playoff spot, Buf should be 8-8, and the Jets are rebuilding. The table is clearly out of order.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Plus I find it hard to believe any O line with Bennie Anderson starting will be a top ten unit as he is horrendous!

He was the starting RG in Baltimore in 2003 when Jamal Lewis ran for 2066 yards. Is that okay?

~CHIEF~
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I can see us in 2nd.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
That was almost 4 years ago man. Did you see him last year?

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Those "oldies" allowed the fewest points in the division last season and had 49 sacks. The starters have also been very stingy in limited action in the preseason.
No one is denying this and it is certainly possible that age won't be a factor again this year but NFL players tend to loose their skills very quickly. If multiple key players lose steps it could be a problem.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
That was almost 4 years ago man. Did you see him last year?

It was three seasons ago. Lewis and Chester Taylor also combined for 1700 yards rushing in 2004.

I saw him go the the Bills and get moved to LG on a line that was pretty bad overall. He struggled but he also had 4 solid seasons in Baltimore before that. He is still a young guard that has started in the NFL for 5 seasons. 4 of those seasons he was on a line that was considered pretty good. One of those seasons he was on a team that has been struggling to put together a decent line for many years. You tell me which is the real Bennie Anderson.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Last years is the real one.

feelthepain
08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
I agree with what you are saying FTP but you must admit your d is very old and there is a possibility they could take a major step back. Plus I find it hard to believe any O line with Bennie Anderson starting will be a top ten unit as he is horrendous!

No I don't agree our D is "very old" we have older players yes, but most teams do. Our secondary is very young, our LB's only have one player with more the 7 years experience and thats Zach. Our Dline has,

Jason Taylor- 33

Vonnie Holliday-31

David Bowens- 29

Kevin Karter- 34

Jeff Zgonina- 36

Keith Traylor- 37

Dan Wilkinson- 33

Younger Veterans and rookies:

Fred Evans- 23

Kevin Vickerson- 23

Thats and AVG. age on the Dline of 31 that's not exactly old. If you notice thats only on the line, of all the places you can afford to have age on a D the line is it. We will be more then fine this year on our line because we will have such an experienced rotation. We do have other very young DT/DE that I didn't add becuse they will most likely be limited to their contribution because of their inexperience, however they could be in to learn.

Also We're not sure Zgonina will make the final cut and Miami is in talks with team about a possible trade. Drop him from the rotation and our avg. Age of the Dline drops below thirty, hardly old at all.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 04:31 PM
And he is almost 30 years old

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Last years is the real one.

Only if playing for the Bills has permanently scarred him.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
No I don't agree our D is "very old" we have older players yes, but most teams do. Our secondary is very young, our LB's only have one player with more the 7 years experience and thats Zach. Our Dline has,

Jason Taylor- 33

Vonnie Holliday-31

David Bowens- 29

Kevin Karter- 34

Jeff Zgonina- 36

Keith Traylor- 37

Dan Wilkinson- 33

Younger Veterans and rookies:

Fred Evans- 23

Kevin Vickerson- 23

Thats and AVG. age on the Dline of 31 that's not exactly old. If you notice thats only on the line, of all the places you can afford to have age on a D the line is it. We will be more then fine this year on our line because we will have such an experienced rotation. We do have other very young DT/DE that I didn't add becuse they will most likely be limited to their contribution because of their inexperience, however they could be in to learn.

Also We're not sure Zgonina will make the final cut and Miami is in talks with team about a possible trade. Drop him from the rotation and our avg. Age of the Dline drops below thirty, hardly old at all.
All of your key players are at least 31

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM

And all but 1 or 2 of your DL would get cut by the Fins. What's your point?

feelthepain
08-23-2006, 04:43 PM

31 isn't old in the NFL, there are many very good football players playing at a high level in that age range. Also lets clear up the Bennie Anderson issue, he has not made the team yet, and he certainly hasn't earned a starting spot yet. If however he does and he's our starter how does he become a down grade simply because one season in Buffalo he didn't earn a probowl selection?? You Bill fans act like becuse he didn't succeed in Buffalo he won't succeed anywhere. Where does this come from?? You Oline last year as a whole was one of the worst lines in football so how do you come to the conclusion it was all Anderson?? Part of being a good team is having disipline, something the Bills didn't exactly exude last year.

New team new coaching more disipline isn't it possible he plays like he did in Baltimore where he was much better then when he was in Buffalo?? You also refuse to acknowledge the fact that we have Hudson Houck the best Oline coach in the game and Nick Saban a man that won't stand for incompitence, if Anderson isn't doing the job he won't be playing...GUARANTEED!!!!

X-Era
08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I disagree completely.

I think it will be

NE
Fish
Bills
Jets

Yours is the more likely call.

But it isnt TOO hard for the Fins to fail. Who are there DB's again? all the good ones are gone. There D is nothing special at all. Culpepper can look great, but he also can look very very mediocre more often than not. Ronnie Brown? has he done anything yet? Whos the other WR after Chambers who is no better and probably worse than Evans. There O-line has no studs. And the Pats are very beatable; they arent what they once were. Too many losses as far as players. Still no real O or D coords. Brady looked pretty average in many games last year. Remember, they did NOTHING against us in the 1st half with KH starting. Of course, KH didnt have us score either so we lost.

So, if we can manage to step WAY up we have a shot, a slim shot, at the division.

I honestly believe were one year away from being a team looked at as an up and comer. I would never have said that before watching our D. But we flat out fly to the ball. McGahee looks like hes got his speed back, and Losman has made some good long throws to open up the field. Add in a quality TE in Royal and maybe Everett (FINALLY!), and a revamped o-line that at least looks better than last years. Yeah I could see it.

Injury free, Losman stepping way up (not mistake free but solid with plenty of TD's), and a stout D.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
And all but 1 or 2 of your DL would get cut by the Fins. What's your point?
I am pretty sure Schobel, Tripplett, and Mcargo would not be cut and Williams looks great. And all these guys are under 35, which is something you really can't say for the Phins old fatsos.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
They would cut all of our young DLmen but sign Big Fatty old man Wilkenson? HaHaHa

FinFaninBuffalo
08-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I am pretty sure Schobel, Tripplett, and Mcargo would not be cut and Williams looks great. And all these guys are under 35, which is something you really can't say for the Phins old fatsos.

Schobel would be the 3rd DE on the Fins (first on your team). Tripplett is a possibility, but doesn't really fit our scheme. McCargo was passed on by the Fins in the draft. You need to get quality playing time from Denney, Kelsay, and Anderson.

The Dolphins want to win now, the Bills are rebuilding, again... (or is that still?)

North_Coast
08-23-2006, 06:18 PM
He was the starting RG in Baltimore in 2003 when Jamal Lewis ran for 2066 yards. Is that okay?

Is Miami planning on abandoning the forward pass? Bennie can run block okay, it's pass protection that he can't handle. :lol:

X-Era
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Is Miami planning on abandoning the forward pass? Bennie can run block okay, it's pass protection that he can't handle. :lol:

I cant wait for the Fins to enjoy his numerous penalties!!!!

HAMMER
08-23-2006, 06:42 PM

What the hell kind of Homer are you? Never, Ever, concede anything to the lowly Phish. You are risking a coup by uttering blasphemous remarks such as these.

!Papacrunk!
08-23-2006, 08:15 PM
"Sometimes you will go places and find a couple of old guys, but not all are as committed to excellence and achieving their personal best like all of us are," Carter says. "We all think we're The Man. We all pretty much feel like we're the ones who are supposed to make the big plays to win the game, carry the team. It's funny that we all ended up in the same place"
Here's some reassuring stats in relation to some of our old timers:
Dan Wilkinson--missed only 7 games in 12 seasons
Jason Taylor has made 96 consecutive starts
Kevin Carter has made 176 consective starts
and last year the combined amount of all 6 lineman was only 3 missed games. Say what you will, but I'll take experience with an infusion of youth any day. I know I'm not going to convince anyone here, because people usually make up their minds and can't be altered, but to each their own I guess.

DOLPHINS DEFENSE RELIES ON "ALPHA DOGS" (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-skolnick23aug23,0,599449.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)