PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bills have placed Vincent on IR?

Bill Brasky
09-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Judging from what I've heard I don't know if it was such a good idea.

Yes, he is aging.

Yes, he's not as good as he once was.

But it didn't seem like it was something that would take more than a few weeks to recover from.

With the injury to Bowen I can understand, but at the same time I don't know if it was such a good decision. They basically send the message to TV that he is done in BUF.

-------------

Vincent said tests showed the hamstring was not torn. He believed he would be out for only a few weeks and was surprised to learn of the team's decision to place him on IR.

Spikes said he intends to play Sunday. More significant to him was the news of Vincent being placed on IR.

"I'm disappointed about it," Spikes said. "You can't replace experience, point-blank, period."

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Why not?

I think it's a good idea to start getting Simpson out there so we can start seeing both our safeties learning to crawl, walk, and maybe even run full speed this year.

that doesn't necessarily mean simpson is a lock to take the position, but I hope Jauron decides to go that route instead of bringing back Jim Leonhard (who I'm not knocking, the guy's got a lot of heart, and that can go a long way, but Simpson has the potential to be a star in this league).

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
For the record, I voted "Whatever".

The_Philster
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't think so. Sure, Simpson has more physical ability to do the job at FS, but he doesn't yet have the smarts to do all that is required at the position. Simpson would still get playing time on defense in some packages and it's not like Vincent wasn't already working with him...so he'd still develop. Right now, Vincent has an edge at FS, IMO.
Also, how much film work would Vincent be doing now that he's on IR? Whitner and Simpson were learning the ropes about what to look for in film sessions with Vincent. I think it may have set back their learning.

Mr. Cynical
09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Vincent = :fogey:

Time to move on. This team is not a contender so it is important to start taking steps to become one. Vincent can help the team the best by being a mentor to Simpson from the sidelines and in practice.

Mitchy moo
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM

Time to move on. This team is not a contender so it is important to start taking steps to become one. Vincent can help the team the best by being a mentor to Simpson from the sidelines and in practice.

that's terrible but funny.

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
I would have rather seen a guy like Merz waived and re-signed to the Practice Squad.

Since he is still being paid and counts against the cap, I would rather see Troy on the roster even in a reserve role.

The_Philster
09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I would have rather seen a guy like Merz waived and re-signed to the Practice Squad.

Since he is still being paid and counts against the cap, I would rather see Troy on the roster even in a reserve role.
at least as a reserve, he'd still be approaching game film study like a starter would...and Simpson and Whitner would still be learning from him..

The_Philster
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Good news is, he just said he still intends to work with Simpson and Whitner...total class act :bf1:

G. Host
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Vincent has been out of gas for a while and Bowen appeared to be his replacement until Simposon was ready and Vincent was kept for leadership. Bowen got injured and they can not afford to keep him for leadership.
Jerry Sullivan was wrong as usual - Vincent was not just old, he was old, losing abilities and over priced.

OpIv37
09-14-2006, 02:30 PM

I agree, but why would he do this now that there's a good chance he'll never take the field in a Bills uni again?

The_Philster
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Vincent has been out of gas for a while and Bowen appeared to be his replacement until Simposon was ready and Vincent was kept for leadership. Bowen got injured and they can not afford to keep him for leadership.
Jerry Sullivan was wrong as usual - Vincent was not just old, he was old, losing abilities and over priced.
I'm pretty sure Bowen practiced exclusively at SS