PDA

View Full Version : Ever just wish you could root for someone else?

Tatonka
11-12-2006, 10:49 PM
i am so sick and tired of watching the bills suck.

i wish i wasnt such a dedicated fan that i put up with this awful product the bills have been putting out for years..

it would be so nice to be a chargers fan and pull for rivers.. or seattle fan or a denver fan.

just to watch some compitent winning football would be a nice change..

but i digress.. unfortunately, i just cant imaging really pulling for another team ever.

TacklingDummy
11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
No.

It's going to make it that much sweeter when the Bills finally win a Super Bowl.

Tatonka
11-12-2006, 10:53 PM
i dont know that any of us will be alive when that happens.. but your right.

TacklingDummy
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Next year playoffs.*
2 years Super Bowl.*

*As long as JP is not the QB.

Inetpub
11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Next year playoffs.*
2 years Super Bowl.*

*As long as JP is not the QB.

Ive lived through the Collins days. The RJ days. The JP Losman days have to be THE WORST in BUFFALO HISTORY! I've NEVER seen a QB that is good only because he doesnt Fumble. NO QB in history has been given the honor of saying "100 yards is a good game"!

83 yards! 1/3rd of his games with less than 100 yards throwing! Less than 1 TD per game average! If it werent for all that garbage time yardage he got earlier in the year, the guy would be less than 1000 yards after 9 games!

Officially the WORST TIME IN BUFFALO BILLS HISTORY! I hope Ralph realizes this. Sooner rather than later!

L.A. Playa
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I emjpy rooting for and watching the Saints play GEAUX SAINTS !!!!!!

Mr. Cynical
11-12-2006, 11:25 PM

i wish i wasnt such a dedicated fan that i put up with this awful product the bills have been putting out for years..

it would be so nice to be a chargers fan and pull for rivers.. or seattle fan or a denver fan.

but i digress.. unfortunately, i just cant imaging really pulling for another team ever.

I hear ya man. The only thing I do now to help not get pissed is not watch the games live anymore. It is just too painful after all these years. I probably won't watch another live Bills game until the FO is flushed, because IMO that's the only way the Bills will get better.

It does suck though not being able to switch teams...but once a Bill fan always a Bill fan. It's like it gets encoded onto your DNA. You don't have a choice.

Devin
11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Understand completley.

While I will never be a "fan" of another team. Ive followed the Saints because of my families ties to the area for years. So them having a good season so far helps.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I cant say I do. :idunno: I've always taken pride in being the small market, underdog team. Being a Bills fan is very similar to the story of David and Goliath.

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
No.

It's going to make it that much sweeter when the Bills finally win a Super Bowl.

That too.

LtFinFan66
11-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I already root for someome else :idunno:

SABURZFAN
11-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Ive lived through the Collins days. The RJ days. The JP Losman days have to be THE WORST in BUFFALO HISTORY! I've NEVER seen a QB that is good only because he doesnt Fumble. NO QB in history has been given the honor of saying "100 yards is a good game"!

83 yards! 1/3rd of his games with less than 100 yards throwing! Less than 1 TD per game average! If it werent for all that garbage time yardage he got earlier in the year, the guy would be less than 1000 yards after 9 games!

Officially the WORST TIME IN BUFFALO BILLS HISTORY! I hope Ralph realizes this. Sooner rather than later!

it's Just Pathetic.

alohabillsfan
11-13-2006, 08:22 AM
I almost fully enjoyed the game yesterday, but overall a good game against a formidable opponent.

Look, the Bills defense is getting better and that is from this draft, lets hope that Marv addresses the offensive line next!

BUFFALO
LT LG C RG RT
Peters UDFA Gandy 3Rd Fowler 3Rd Villarrial 5rd Pennington 7RD

Offense
Bottom line is we need a RG and RT, additionally, we need a tall target receiver.

Defense
Resign Fletcher and Clements (we need him on this defense) Depth at LB.

patmoran2006
11-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I cant wait for the year to come when the only two focuses of the board by week seven WONT be.

1) How bad does our QB blow
2) Who are we drafting next year.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 08:32 AM

I always get this feeling when I'm watching the late game or a night game when the Bills aren't playing, and I see teams actually moving the ball down the field. When it's 3rd and 1 and I feel like the D MIGHT actually be able to shut it down...

When I watch the Bills and it's 3rd and 8 from the 25, instead of thinking "ok let's go for the first down", I think "Oh please just don't take a sack"

That's the kind of crap that makes me want to root for a competent team. But I just can't- I've been rooting for the Bills for too long and I'll keep rooting for them unless they leave Buffalo.

don137
11-13-2006, 08:51 AM
I think it is safe to say the Bills unfortunately won't live to see a Bills super bowl victory unless he can live for at least another 5 years at least and the Bills have some remarkable drafts because not many quality free agents will want to play here unless they grossly overpay. The big question will be if the Bills can survive a change in ownership and stay in Buffalo. If they can't then the Bills will never win a super bowl. I don't like it anymore than the rest of us but it is a potential reality.

mybills
11-13-2006, 09:14 AM
:lolpoint: any Bills fan who even questions NOT watching them.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 09:21 AM
:lolpoint: any Bills fan who even questions NOT watching them.

you completely misunderstood.

No one's considering NOT watching them. It's wishful thinking about how much less painful it would be to watch football if we were fans of a different team.

mybills
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I didn't misunderstand, Op. I have NEVER thought about any of that. I take the bruises like a trooper. :D

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I didn't misunderstand, Op. I have NEVER thought about any of that. I take the bruises like a trooper. :D

don't you ever get pissed that you have to take so many bruises? How much of a fan could you be if you can continue to watch this offense sputter pathetically and not get pissed off? Fans want to see the team WIN and tend to react when they perennially look like **** and fail to do that.

mybills
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I think it's because I live in Pats territory, and I'm used to the verbal abuse. I can put things like that out of my mind the second the game ends. I do not dwell on any loss, or on any win, although the latter will put a smile on my face for the whole day. I watch each game as a football fan. Then I get on with my life.

So when I saw - Ever just wish you could root for someone else?
I have to honestly say, NO.

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I think it's because I live in Pats territory, and I'm used to the verbal abuse. I can put things like that out of my mind the second the game ends. I do not dwell on any loss, or on any win, although the latter will put a smile on my face for the whole day. I watch each game as a football fan. Then I get on with my life.

So when I saw - Ever just wish you could root for someone else?
I have to honestly say, NO.

then you put your head in the sand.

The problem with the losses (and even some wins) is that it shows flaws in the team. And you're ignoring the fact that the problems exposed in the losses represent reduced chances to win in the future. Most of us can't watch an offensive performance that horrendous and go "oh well, there's always next week" because we know it's gonna be the same ****ty offense taking the field next week.

mybills
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
then you put your head in the sand.

The problem with the losses (and even some wins) is that it shows flaws in the team. And you're ignoring the fact that the problems exposed in the losses represent reduced chances to win in the future. Most of us can't watch an offensive performance that horrendous and go "oh well, there's always next week" because we know it's gonna be the same ****ty offense taking the field next week.

:coocoo:
You might need anger management. I can assure you, my head is NOT in the sand.
I can't do anything to change this team's performance. I'm not their coach, I'm not on the roster, I'm only in front of the tv watching. So for you to sit there and tell me that my head is in the sand, is ******ed.

kinigirly
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
the only other team i'm allowed to root for is Navy and that's still not even nfl

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
:coocoo:
You might need anger management. I can assure you, my head is NOT in the sand.
I can't do anything to change this team's performance. I'm not their coach, I'm not on the roster, I'm only in front of the tv watching. So for you to sit there and tell me that my head is in the sand, is ******ed.

yeah but don't you want them to win? How does it NOT bother you when they suck this bad and you almost know that isn't going to happen?

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm kind of used to all the losing. :idunno: I was laughing my ass off every time JP got sacked, does that make me sadistic? Yes? :lol:

Bling
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Who the **** cares what idiots on the internet think? If you want to root for another team on the side - go ahead. There's no reason why you have to drown yourself in the pain of the Bills organization. If my franchise has had 1 winning season in a while, why waste your time and money?

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Take it from Bling, he knows alot about rooting for a losing franchise. :lol:

Bling
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Take it from Bling, he knows alot about rooting for a losing franchise. :lol:

Did you know the Dolphins broke the record for consecutive playoff berths?

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Who the **** cares what idiots on the internet think? If you want to root for another team on the side - go ahead. There's no reason why you have to drown yourself in the pain of the Bills organization. If my franchise has had 1 winning season in a while, why waste your time and money?

problem is, being a fan isn't based on rationality. Most of us have some kind of connection with the Bills- because they're the local team, because we grew up watching them, because we witnessed some historic moment like the Comeback Game, etc. Hell, if we thought rationally about which team we rooted for, teams like Buffalo, Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland, etc would have run out of fans years ago.

I really only root for the Bills. My family's originally from the Philly area so I like seeing the Eagles win too (as long as they're not playing the Bills), but I don't follow the team, I don't go out of my way to watch the games like I do for the Bills, and I don't get as happy if they win or as upset if they lose. The only other time I root for another team is if a win by them helps the Bills. Lately, I've found myself wanting to see NE lose so bad that I root for whoever their opponent is (even if it's the Jets or the Dolphins, although I usually feel like I need a shower after doing something that dirty).

GFLuNEEDit
11-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Yeah I feel sorry for people inflicted with that.
I route for me to win and my favorite team is the one I have money on.

Bling
11-13-2006, 06:24 PM
problem is, being a fan isn't based on rationality. Most of us have some kind of connection with the Bills- because they're the local team, because we grew up watching them, because we witnessed some historic moment like the Comeback Game, etc. Hell, if we thought rationally about which team we rooted for, teams like Buffalo, Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland, etc would have run out of fans years ago.

I really only root for the Bills. My family's originally from the Philly area so I like seeing the Eagles win too (as long as they're not playing the Bills), but I don't follow the team, I don't go out of my way to watch the games like I do for the Bills, and I don't get as happy if they win or as upset if they lose. The only other time I root for another team is if a win by them helps the Bills. Lately, I've found myself wanting to see NE lose so bad that I root for whoever their opponent is (even if it's the Jets or the Dolphins, although I usually feel like I need a shower after doing something that dirty).

But at some point is it worth it? Do you just accept mediocrity? I know if any of my teams become like the Bills, I wouldn't be able to take it. The constant losing would absolutely kill me. I give you guys props for sticking through it.

GFLuNEEDit
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
But at some point is it worth it? Do you just accept mediocrity? I know if any of my teams become like the Bills, I wouldn't be able to take it. The constant losing would absolutely kill me. I give you guys props for sticking through it.

I don't consider it any kind of badge of honor to root for a poorly run team.

PECKERWOOD
11-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Did you know the Dolphins broke the record for consecutive playoff berths?

When did they do that? The prehistoric period?

OpIv37
11-13-2006, 10:28 PM

it'll be worth it if they ever get their **** together and win. And if that's your attitude, you might as well just root for the Yankees and forget about everyone else, because every sports franchise that's not richer than God hits a down cycle from time to time.

I'll give the Dolphins credit for minimizing the number and the length of their downward cycles more than most teams, but the wheels will come off eventually. Think about it- SF dominated in the late 80's and early 90's and now they're a joke. Dallas had a 1-15 season before their domination of the mid-90's, and now they're struggling again. Denver struggled in the early 90's. Chicago had a 20-year period where they were never more than mediocre. The Pats were terrible in the early 90's and mediocre in the mid 90's. Are you gonna run for the hills when that happens to the Fish?

unpaid_bills
11-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I almost fully enjoyed the game yesterday, but overall a good game against a formidable opponent.

Look, the Bills defense is getting better and that is from this draft, lets hope that Marv addresses the offensive line next!

BUFFALO
LT LG C RG RT
Peters UDFA Gandy 3Rd Fowler 3Rd Villarrial 5rd Pennington 7RD

Offense
Bottom line is we need a RG and RT, additionally, we need a tall target receiver.

Defense
Resign Fletcher and Clements (we need him on this defense) Depth at LB.

How long have Bills fans been saying we need OL, WR. It is really frustrating to see other teams improve and look promising. We seem to have 1-2 good games then go in the tank. No real coaching stability or QB play since the 90's that is a long time ago.

mybills
11-14-2006, 07:04 AM
yeah but don't you want them to win? How does it NOT bother you when they suck this bad and you almost know that isn't going to happen?
Of course I want them to win, and it does bother me "during" the game. But when it's over, I move on. I do not sit at my computer and call people names or cry about it all week. :rofl:

I'd rather discuss things in a grown up way..can't do that on this message board anymore. :coocoo:

jamze132
11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
This is the attitude of a fair-weather fan. And most of them could give two ****s whether or not if they even have a team.

Well personaly, I watch every Bills game i possibly can, win or lose. I support them no matter the record. Am I happy? **** NO! but what can ya do? they are my team.

I cant stand people that don't and won't support their team when they are going though a dryspell or (decade).

Novacane
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Ive lived through the Collins days. The RJ days. The JP Losman days have to be THE WORST in BUFFALO HISTORY! !

Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, Joe Dufek, Bruce Mattheson, back to back 2-14...............these are not near the darkest days in Bills history

madness
11-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Of course I want them to win, and it does bother me "during" the game. But when it's over, I move on. I do not sit at my computer and call people names or cry about it all week. :rofl:

I'd rather discuss things in a grown up way..can't do that on this message board anymore. :coocoo:

No woman no cry... because the men around here do.

OpIv37
11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
No woman no cry... because the men around here do.

:rolleyes:

If you consider expressing frustration with this team to be crying, you obviously don't get how bad this team is or the fact that this message board is for discussing a football team that sucks at the moment.

mybills
11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
discussions are one thing, but this is a regular ***** fest where most people are proven wrong, but continue to argue that they're right. :dizzy:

HAMMER
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I have lived in San Diego for 15 years and until last year I couldn't root for the Chargers. After Flutie and Seau left I decided I would now root for them when not playing the Bills. It is fun to look forward to watching or going to the late game. It was sure fun to watch SD score 42 points in the second half last week to win the game. I have been to two Bills games and two Charger games this year. The Bills will always be my favorite team and I will never give up the quest for a Bills Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I will no longer exclude or feel shame for rooting for the team in my town.

madness
11-14-2006, 12:17 PM
:rolleyes:

If you consider expressing frustration with this team to be crying, you obviously don't get how bad this team is or the fact that this message board is for discussing a football team that sucks at the moment.

If the O-line had more talent and experience and people would actually get a clue that this is a young and upcoming team, 90% of these threads wouldn't/shouldn't even exist. There are a lot of teams right now that have far more problems than that.

OpIv37
11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
If the O-line had more talent and experience and people would actually get a clue that this is a young and upcoming team, 90% of these threads wouldn't/shouldn't even exist. There are a lot of teams right now that have far more problems than that.

and if the DL had more talent and if our TE's were worth a damn and if we had a true #2 receiver.... OL help is the biggest priority but not the only problem by far.

madness
11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
and if the DL had more talent and if our TE's were worth a damn and if we had a true #1 receiver.... OL help is the biggest priority but not the only problem by far.

Evans isn't a true #1? Now I've heard it all. Man, NFL coaches need to sitdown and talk with you so you can set them straight. Evans gets double teamed every week and he's not even a true #1?

Maybe if you said a true #2 but both that and the TE situation obviously would improve if the line did. If you can't even get to your second read before having someone in your face, you obviously won't get to your TE.

OpIv37
11-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Evans isn't a true #1? Now I've heard it all. Man, NFL coaches need to sitdown and talk with you so you can set them straight. Evans gets double teamed every week and he's not even a true #1?

Maybe if you said a true #2 but both that and the TE situation obviously would improve if the line did. If you can't even get to your second read before having someone in your face, you obviously won't get to your TE.

doh- I meant to say a true #2- it was a typo. Evans is fine, but behind him we have a bunch of has-beens and never-was guys.

I'm not so sure about the TE- if Losman had a true dump-off option in a receiving TE, it woudl help compensate for the lack of OL play.

madness
11-14-2006, 02:13 PM
doh- I meant to say a true #2- it was a typo. Evans is fine, but behind him we have a bunch of has-beens and never-was guys.

I'm not so sure about the TE- if Losman had a true dump-off option in a receiving TE, it woudl help compensate for the lack of OL play.

Okay, I thought you've gone off the deep end for a second. I honestly didn't think he even had time to check down last week even if Gates was out there. I will say this, if the 5 step drops were by design to give JP more time then it was counterproductive. He was dropping right into those sacks. I'm thinking this is what Jauron's criticism of JP was directed towards. If JP would have hung up in the pocket longer, he would have a few more seconds.

im4bflo
11-14-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't like to see the Bills struggle, but to me, there is no other team, they flow through my veins, and football wouldn't exist without them.
I very rarely, if ever, watch two other teams play, just the SB, and maybe the 4th qtr of a rival division team, to see if they get beat. I watch the BILLS game, and that's all I need. I have no interest in any other team, and if heaven forbid, the Buffalo Bills would move from buffalo, I'd just watch the Sabres. Football wouldn't ever interest me quite the same ever again. Long Live the BUFFALO BILLS! WIN or LOSE! Every other team in the NFL can :kissa:

Nighthawk
11-14-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't like to see the Bills struggle, but to me, there is no other team, they flow through my veins, and football wouldn't exist without them.
I very rarely, if ever, watch two other teams play, just the SB, and maybe the 4th qtr of a rival division team, to see if they get beat. I watch the BILLS game, and that's all I need. I have no interest in any other team, and if heaven forbid, the Buffalo Bills would move from buffalo, I'd just watch the Sabres. Football wouldn't ever interest me quite the same ever again. Long Live the BUFFALO BILLS! WIN or LOSE! Every other team in the NFL can :kissa:

Excellent post and pretty much sums up my feelings. :goodpost:

jamze132
11-15-2006, 04:28 AM
I have lived in San Diego for 15 years and until last year I couldn't root for the Chargers. After Flutie and Seau left I decided I would now root for them when not playing the Bills. It is fun to look forward to watching or going to the late game. It was sure fun to watch SD score 42 points in the second half last week to win the game. I have been to two Bills games and two Charger games this year. The Bills will always be my favorite team and I will never give up the quest for a Bills Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I will no longer exclude or feel shame for rooting for the team in my town.
Good point!

Night Train
11-15-2006, 04:45 AM
The Marv coaching years of the late 80's to the mid 90's was the first exposure to this team for many..a team that won a lot of games. Since then, we've basically been bad and people thought it would never end. The last 6 years have really stunk, for the most part.

Now Marv is back and began revamping the Defense this past off-season. This coming spring, I expect him to make numerous additions to the Offense.

I still love going to the games and see us making progress the right way, unlike the TD years of fools gold. That was a bad sales job that left Marv a mess to clean up. We were a lot worse than people thought and it shows with certain players.

Long term, I'm bullish. It's moving in the right direction. The daily moaning and bickering here is just self serving and comedy to many of us.

Jan Reimers
11-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Only every Sunday, and some Monday and Thursday nights, and a few Saturdays late in the season.

But I've seen all of the ups and downs - probably more downs than ups - since 1960. I'm a lifetime Bills' fan, and I've learned to accept the bad times as well as the good, although it gets terribly frustrating at times.

And I see hope for this team, so I'll just keep rootin' until the good times return.

scott51
11-15-2006, 06:36 AM
I cant wait for the year to come when the only two focuses of the board by week seven WONT be.

1) How bad does our QB blow
2) Who are we drafting next year.

This will happen the year the Bills win the Superbowl... lol! You are absolutely right though!

M
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
To answer the original question ... Nope. Bills fan for life! I don't care if they are 1-15 or win the d*mn Superbowl (it's going to happen someday!!)

ublinkwescore
11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
I just read this thread title, and wanted to post this immediately before I read any more of this thread.

I just wish that I could root for a Bills team that was solid to good - I don't care if we go nowhere in the playoffs (well obviously I do, but it's just been so long since we've been there - babysteps)... I would be so content to see us just pull off a #6 seed.

ublinkwescore
11-15-2006, 11:00 AM
i dont know that any of us will be alive when that happens.. but your right.

I will be - and if by some miracle, I'm not, I'll be watching from above or below.

Drive 4 Five
11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
My wife loves the Broncos and I will join in from time to time to watch games like Denver vs. NE or SD or Indy and root for the Broncos. Plus they are only 7 hrs. away and we try and catch a live game when we can. I wouldn't say that makes me a traitor.

Plus whenever the Bills suck like this, if there is a better game on, like Cincy vs. Baltimore, or Eagles/Cowboys, Patriots/Jets, then that is what I am going to watch. I love this team but sometimes I fear that they are going to ruin my love for this game, so I have to watch other games. Unless it is Denver, or any team against NE, I usually don't take sides and just try to enjoy the game.

YardRat
11-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Never. As long as the Bills are playing, they're my #1 team.

Doesn't stop me from rooting for someone else in another game (like whoever is playing the Pats, Jets, or Dolphins), or during the play-offs if the Bills aren't in the hunt anymore.

PECKERWOOD
11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
My wife loves the Broncos and I will join in from time to time to watch games like Denver vs. NE or SD or Indy and root for the Broncos. Plus they are only 7 hrs. away and we try and catch a live game when we can. I wouldn't say that makes me a traitor.

Plus whenever the Bills suck like this, if there is a better game on, like Cincy vs. Baltimore, or Eagles/Cowboys, Patriots/Jets, then that is what I am going to watch. I love this team but sometimes I fear that they are going to ruin my love for this game, so I have to watch other games. Unless it is Denver, or any team against NE, I usually don't take sides and just try to enjoy the game.

I watch as much football as possible on Sunday. I find other teams that suck also, and I root for them. I always go for the underdog. It's ridiculous. If you were to ever watch football with me. I have around 4 football games on, and flip through to a different channel in between plays/commercials. Lol, I could never understand people who like to watch commercials. :laughing: