PDA

View Full Version : If we ignore RB as a need in the 2007 draft ...

kernowboy
12-20-2006, 10:20 AM
LOOK WHATS COMING IN 2008 AND 2009

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

I know there is much discussion about McGahee, what to do about him and his contract status.

I have advocated trading him for a draft pick but in the 2008 draft. I think we can get by with A Train, maybe sign Duckett on a one year and be able to manoevre to pick the RB of the future in 2008

Personally I'd like Darren mcFadden but would happily live with the likes of Steve Slaton, Jonathan Stewart maybe even Ian Johnson

raphael120
12-20-2006, 10:27 AM
1. we're not getting mcfadden, are you nuts? he's not dropping to mid 1rst round.

2. if mcgahee goes, a-train will not get us very far. there's a reason he's a backup behind mcgahee. (mind you mcgahee isn't even doing that great)

3. there's a reason why ladell betts has beat out duckett. you want to sign a backup of a backup and think he'll do well behind this line?

keep mcgahee or trade him for a pick and draft a stud midround, maybe we'll luck out with a maroney or something of that nature. then use the 2 headed monster of that guy and a-train...a-train is not a good every down back.

BillsNick
12-20-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd like to see Slaton come to Buffalo.

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Let Willis play out his last year , draft a rb and see what happens, IMO. It'll be deja vu just like when Willis was drafted and Henry was the featured back. What goes around comes around. Willis just hasn't shown me he's a consistent rb you can count on in regular season although decent. Don't know how he will play in the playoffs because he hasn't been good enough to take us there on his own.

While I've seen Jp improve steadily, I can't say the same about Willis behind the same OL. If we can find another LT or Bush in the draft. Go for it. It'll only help JP and our O. Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.

It's my opinion that JP is a better qb than Rivers but doesn't have an LT to prove it.

kernowboy
12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
1. we're not getting mcfadden, are you nuts? he's not dropping to mid 1rst round.

2. if mcgahee goes, a-train will not get us very far. there's a reason he's a backup behind mcgahee. (mind you mcgahee isn't even doing that great)

3. there's a reason why ladell betts has beat out duckett. you want to sign a backup of a backup and think he'll do well behind this line?

keep mcgahee or trade him for a pick and draft a stud midround, maybe we'll luck out with a maroney or something of that nature. then use the 2 headed monster of that guy and a-train...a-train is not a good every down back.

1) it was looking at the 2008 draft. With our 1st and 2nd rounders plus another 2nd rounder we could easily manoevre. Not every team will have a RB need in 2008

2) actually when McGahee got injured, Thomas was given most of a game and recorded a decent performance

3) Duckett was signed right at the end of the preseason as insurance for Portis being injured. He fell to 3rd on the depth chart, before moving up. Even the most stupid of coaches uses a player who knows the system. Look at The Jets signing Ramsey. It was done only as an insurance policy and they gave up little. It doesn't mean he's a bad player it means the team want to have experienced security but pay as little as possible for it. I don't know the details of TJs Falcons contract that was traded but there may have been a performance bonus structure there. If Betts is doing ok, why play a guy alien to their system? At 6ft 254lbs I imagine he'd be more willing to make his own holes than Willis

At only 25 I'd like to see him brought in. If we draft Slaton in R1 of 2008 then we could replicate the old DVD of the Falcons with a LSD plus Evans

Night Train
12-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.

Thank you. I've been saying this all year. This is why opposing D's can blitz JP at will right now ( and do ! ).

I want a non-dancer who hits the line flying, whether the hole is there or not. Otherwise, JP can never make opposing D's respect the play action.

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Thank you. I've been saying this all year. This is why opposing D's can blitz JP at will right now ( and do ! ).

I want a non-dancer who hits the line flying, whether the hole is there or not. Otherwise, JP can never make opposing D's respect the play action.
He hit that hole against the jets and see what happened.

No matter how hard teams try and gameplan against LT, he still get's over 150 ypg and breaks every NFL record. Teams don't gameplan against Willis and yet he can't break 100 yards. Other rb's (some of which are rookies or younger than Willis) with crappy OL have done better.

He doesn't even have his stiff arm anymore :wail:

Romes
12-20-2006, 10:53 AM
No matter how hard teams try and gameplan against LT, he still get's over 1500 yards and breaks every NFL record. Teams don't gameplan against Willis and yet he can't break 100 yards. Other rb's (some of which are rookies or younger than Willis) with crappy OL can do better.

He doesn't even have his stiff arm anymore

Are you saying we need a player like LT?

Because those come very rarely.

BillsNick
12-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know what round Slaton is supposed to be drafted?

kernowboy
12-20-2006, 10:57 AM
He's on the small side so no matter how well he does I think it would like be in the 15 to 25 range a bit like Maroney

Earthquake Enyart
12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I believe that McFadden is a sophomore

DraftBoy
12-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Slaton and McFadden are both top 5 picks if they come out next season. Neither has to though. They will both only be Jrs.

DraftBoy
12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Its supposed to be an extremely strong QB class next season, and personally I think there is going to be a great find in th elate rounds in Lorenzo Booker from FSU who I feel could be a starter in this league and a hidden gem.

Saratoga Slim
12-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Let Willis play out his last year , draft a rb and see what happens, IMO. It'll be deja vu just like when Willis was drafted and Henry was the featured back. What goes around comes around. Willis just hasn't shown me he's a consistent rb you can count on in regular season although decent. Don't know how he will play in the playoffs because he hasn't been good enough to take us there on his own.

While I've seen Jp improve steadily, I can't say the same about Willis behind the same OL. If we can find another LT or Bush in the draft. Go for it. It'll only help JP and our O. Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.

It's my opinion that JP is a better qb than Rivers but doesn't have an LT to prove it.

I agree that we let Willis play out his contract no matter what. A-Train only has a one-year contract if I remember correctly. Thus, we either resign him, or draft another RB. I have no problem with Willis and a solid rookie platooning. Look at how many teams did it successfully this year: NE, Carolina, Indy, Jax, etc. Then when Willis' contract expires, we can decide if he's worth keeping, or alternatively have already gotten his replacement a year of experience.

I guess what we do in FA will determine whether we want to spend a Day 1 pick on a RB.

I'm not knocking McGahee though. he's a good back. no LT, but who is.

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Are you saying we need a player like LT?

Because those come very rarely. nope. Just comparing. A rb like LT is what made Rivers a probowler even though he's nothing great. Give JP a consistent Rb, he'll look like a probowler too.

I'm just running out of excuses trying to defend Willis especially when the same excuses can be given to Henry who's having a better year than Willis.

Kerr
12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Isn't mcfadden eligable to declare for the draft already?

kernowboy
12-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Slaton and McFadden are both top 5 picks if they come out next season. Neither has to though. They will both only be Jrs.

I think Slaton will come out after his junior especially as he's now a family man as well. Won't want to risk a college injury.

At 5ft10 and 195lbs even if he adds another 15lbs he'll still be considered a Wariwck Dunn, Westbrook type and I can see him sliding to the middle of R1

I think to be on the safe side we use McGahee to get an extra pick so we can move up if necessary

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
I think to be on the safe side we use McGahee to get an extra pick so we can move up if necessary

Why would teams trade for Willis instead of drafting one of those rb's?

kernowboy
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Because they might want a RB now especially if they rate McGahee in their system. Teams I can think of include Atlanta, NYG, Houston etc. Some teams may want to buy now pay later. I would favour pay now, buy later ...

John Doe
12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
He doesn't even have his stiff arm anymore :wail:

On the play where Willis started out going left and Losman threw a block that let him get back to the right side, Willis gave a Dolphin defender 3 quick stiff arms just before he went out of bounds. He really pounded the guy.

I think that everyone is under-rating Willis because his season's stats are disappointing. He competed hard despite some injuries. He came up big against the Jags and Jets. He had a key run at the end of the first half against the Phins along with some other good runs against a very good defense.

Keep him and A-train, and draft someone in the later rounds to replace Shaud Williams.

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 02:15 PM
On the play where Willis started out going left and Losman threw a block that let him get back to the right side, Willis gave a Dolphin defender 3 quick stiff arms just before he went out of bounds. He really pounded the guy.

I think that everyone is under-rating Willis because his season's stats are disappointing. He competed hard despite some injuries. He came up big against the Jags and Jets. He had a key run at the end of the first half against the Phins along with some other good runs against a very good defense.

Keep him and A-train, and draft someone in the later rounds to replace Shaud Williams.
Like I said, decent but neither dominating nor consistent enough to take us to the next level. We need more than what he's shown if we are to be successful in the playoffs where run D's are more consistent than the Jags or jets.

JP is not always going to play well and will sometimes need a running game to bail him out. Wilis hasn't shown the ability to do so yet.

Earthquake Enyart
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
It swould be nice to have a speedster scat back as a change of pace.

DraftBoy
12-20-2006, 02:27 PM
A guy to look at may be James Davis from Clemson for the 08 class he'll be a Jr but with stud freshmen CJ Spiller behind him he may leave early.

Typ0
12-20-2006, 04:01 PM
WM would be very good if he caught the ball more. I'm not sure if that's a function of the offense or WM but he should be catching the ball a lot more and people would be singing a different tune about him.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-20-2006, 04:37 PM
NO RB! WE NEED TO DRAFT OR SIGN FA FOR THE OL!

justasportsfan
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Go FA with the OL. Drafting OL will take him years before he's ready.

PECKERWOOD
12-20-2006, 06:33 PM

I disagree. Look at the NYJ. Mangold has been an all star and D'Brick has been good as well.. They went from a dirt team to a playoff team in an offseason.

Bmax
12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
I like Rice,Stewart or Davis one of them should come out early.. Rice from rutgers uis one of those low to the ground guys who has the speed and toughness you like . while davis is bigger and is just as fast .. Stewart has size and speed i would be happy with one of the three. Guys to also look out for Pittman and hart from ohio st and mich. I would love either one of them. If pittman does not leave this season.

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
12-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Willis has won the respect of his teammates, though not the fans, by playing hurt this season--especially with 3 broken ribs--and that is something that cannot be discounted in how this front office/coaching staff will view him after this season. I suspect that they will not want to upset the team chemistry that they have been trying to build with this group by getting rid of McGahee after this season and will try to bring him back, certainly for next season (and perhaps beyond) if his demands are not too outrageous. [Remember that one of Levy's axioms is that sometimes the best deal that you make is keeping the guy you already have....]

However, if Willis wants out of Buffalo or asks for too much money, I can see them letting him go after next season (Willis would be playing for a big payday and could be expected to go all out if the Bills do not give him a contract extension before next season). In which case, there are a number of good RBs likely to be in the 2007-2008 draft class:

I don't know if McFadden is eligible to come out this year, but, after finishing second in the Heisman race, he is likely to stay for his junior year and a shot at the trophy next season. With his size and speed, he would certainly be the top RB to come out after next season. Unfortunately for the Bills, he will probably go in the top 5 of the draft and it is likely that they will not have much of a chance of getting him.

Mike Hart has announced that he is 99% sure he will be staying for his senior year, next season, and, if he does and stays healthy, he will probably rank close to the top of the group right behind McFadden, along with Steve Slaton, Jon Stewart, Ray Rice, James Davis and Ian Johnson. Hart is interesting because, for a smaller RB, he has shown that he can run well in short yardage and on the goal line against top defenses. In that regard, he reminds me of a Thurman Thomas-type of RB. I'm not sure how high he will go in a draft because of his size, though: IMHO, he could go in the top third or slip into the middle of the round depending on what teams are looking for and who else is available.

I LOVE Slaton and would be delighted to see him in a Bills' uniform. His speed and moves make me think a lot of LT2. The only question that I have with him is with his power on the goal line and in short yardage--it't tough to really get a sense of how he would do running from a conventional pro set when you see him in the funky offense that W.Va. runs. Still, he's a weapon and, because he has the potential to be so good, I can see some team snapping him up before the Bills get a chance to take him. I hope not, but I have a hard time seeing him slip out of the top third of the draft even with all of the other RBs in that draft class.

I also LOVE Ray Rice--he's a local kid from the next town over from where I live who has made good and I really would like to see him make it big in the NFL. He's a tough runner who, despite his size, is very good in short yardage and a high-character player who will do whatever it takes to win. The only problem I have with Rice is his speed--I'm not sure if he has true breakaway speed on the NFL level: I've seen him caught from behind a couple of times this season after breaking into the open field and wonder if he has that top-end speed needed to take it to the house on the pro level.

I've only seen Stewart twice and can't give a fair assessment of him based on what I have seen thus far. But, from what I have seen, I have the same concerns about him that I have about Ray Rice, in terms of his breakaway speed. Even though Rice is smaller, based on what little I have seen of Stewart, right now I would prefer Rice--but that could change.

James Davis reminds me of another Davis--Stephen Davis--when he was in college. Even though I like his teammate, CJ Spiller, better, I am intrigued by the way that Davis, who is very much a straight-line runner, hits a hole and gets to top speed in no time. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make guys miss with his footwork in the pros, but one who could do well playing behind an offensive line that will open up holes that will allow him to get to the second level quickly, where he can run away from people. I think his success will depend on where he goes in the NFL and I'm not sure if the Bills have--or will have--the kind of offensive line that he will need to maximize his potential, but I can see him being a good one in the pros.

I like Boise St. and watch them every chance I get. And, to be honest with you, I still can't figure out how Ian Johnson gets the yards that he gets or does some of the stuff that he does. He runs upright, perhaps too much, doesn't look fast, and does not appear to be very shifty. Yet, somehow the guy is always ending up in the end zone and has broken more than his share of long runs. He's so productive that he's going to get a shot in the NFL and, given what he's done on the college level, it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a pretty good pro RB, but he scares me because his style and the fact that he is coming out of that wide-open Boise St. offense lead me to believe that he might not be that good, especially in terms of having breakaway ability on the pro level. I'd want to bring him in behind a pretty good RB to see if he could cut it in the NFL first, rather than count on him to come in and take over as the starter right out of the draft. Still, he's a hard runner, tough, and has a nose for the goal-line, so he has a chance to be pretty decent, if not a star on the next level.

I'm pretty sure that McFadden and Slaton will be long gone before the Bills get around to their first pick in the draft after next season, even though the Bills will have a very tough schedule in 2007. They might have a shot at Hart, if he stays for his senior year, but there is a good chance that he would be gone, too. I haven't seen enough of Stewart to have a good idea what kind of pro he will be, but, given Jauron's penchant for going with bigger RBs, he might be a guy that the Bills would be interested in to replace or compliment McGahee. If size isn't a factor, though, Rice and Davis would be very interesting picks who should be available late in the first round or in the second round. And, Johnson is another guy who might be an option as well.

As for the others on the gbn list: I'm not a real fan of Texas RBs of late and Charles has not really stood out or dominated in any of their games that I have seen to the point where I would consider him as a potential franchise back on the next level--at least not yet. Ore seems to be hurt a lot and, when I have seen him, I haven't really been impressed with his vision. I don't see him being a major force on the next level. I really like Felix Jones of Arkansas--does he ever have speed! He's the lightning in the Hogs' Thunder and Lightning backfield duo and could be a mid-round (2-5) steal. The only question I have about him is how tough a runner he will be in short yardage and on the goal-line where McFadden has been getting most of the carries for Arkansas. At worst, I see him being a good back-up RB/change of pace back on the next level.

While I don't see the Bills making any move to get rid of McGahee before next season, I could easily see them letting him go and replacing him with one of these RBs after next season if Willis doesn't pick up his play or decides that he wants more money than the Bills want to give him. But, despite his shortcomings, I think it is a fair bet that Willis will be the Bills' starting RB next season.

jamze132
12-21-2006, 03:10 AM
Guys like LT come around once every 10 years. The future of the NFL is a two-back attack. We need to get McGahee's opposite. We need a guy in the mold of Maurice Jones-Drew. That guy is a freak.

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 04:23 AM

IN 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not 20007

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 04:23 AM

IN 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not in 2007

Night Train
12-21-2006, 04:27 AM
A big Guard could play right away. God knows we need one or two.

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 04:30 AM
Willis has won the respect of his teammates, though not the fans, by playing hurt this season--especially with 3 broken ribs--and that is something that cannot be discounted in how this front office/coaching staff will view him after this season. I suspect that they will not want to upset the team chemistry that they have been trying to build with this group by getting rid of McGahee after this season and will try to bring him back, certainly for next season (and perhaps beyond) if his demands are not too outrageous. [Remember that one of Levy's axioms is that sometimes the best deal that you make is keeping the guy you already have....]

However, if Willis wants out of Buffalo or asks for too much money, I can see them letting him go after next season (Willis would be playing for a big payday and could be expected to go all out if the Bills do not give him a contract extension before next season). In which case, there are a number of good RBs likely to be in the 2007-2008 draft class:

I don't know if McFadden is eligible to come out this year, but, after finishing second in the Heisman race, he is likely to stay for his junior year and a shot at the trophy next season. With his size and speed, he would certainly be the top RB to come out after next season. Unfortunately for the Bills, he will probably go in the top 5 of the draft and it is likely that they will not have much of a chance of getting him.

Mike Hart has announced that he is 99% sure he will be staying for his senior year, next season, and, if he does and stays healthy, he will probably rank close to the top of the group right behind McFadden, along with Steve Slaton, Jon Stewart, Ray Rice, James Davis and Ian Johnson. Hart is interesting because, for a smaller RB, he has shown that he can run well in short yardage and on the goal line against top defenses. In that regard, he reminds me of a Thurman Thomas-type of RB. I'm not sure how high he will go in a draft because of his size, though: IMHO, he could go in the top third or slip into the middle of the round depending on what teams are looking for and who else is available.

I LOVE Slaton and would be delighted to see him in a Bills' uniform. His speed and moves make me think a lot of LT2. The only question that I have with him is with his power on the goal line and in short yardage--it't tough to really get a sense of how he would do running from a conventional pro set when you see him in the funky offense that W.Va. runs. Still, he's a weapon and, because he has the potential to be so good, I can see some team snapping him up before the Bills get a chance to take him. I hope not, but I have a hard time seeing him slip out of the top third of the draft even with all of the other RBs in that draft class.

I also LOVE Ray Rice--he's a local kid from the next town over from where I live who has made good and I really would like to see him make it big in the NFL. He's a tough runner who, despite his size, is very good in short yardage and a high-character player who will do whatever it takes to win. The only problem I have with Rice is his speed--I'm not sure if he has true breakaway speed on the NFL level: I've seen him caught from behind a couple of times this season after breaking into the open field and wonder if he has that top-end speed needed to take it to the house on the pro level.

I've only seen Stewart twice and can't give a fair assessment of him based on what I have seen thus far. But, from what I have seen, I have the same concerns about him that I have about Ray Rice, in terms of his breakaway speed. Even though Rice is smaller, based on what little I have seen of Stewart, right now I would prefer Rice--but that could change.

James Davis reminds me of another Davis--Stephen Davis--when he was in college. Even though I like his teammate, CJ Spiller, better, I am intrigued by the way that Davis, who is very much a straight-line runner, hits a hole and gets to top speed in no time. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make guys miss with his footwork in the pros, but one who could do well playing behind an offensive line that will open up holes that will allow him to get to the second level quickly, where he can run away from people. I think his success will depend on where he goes in the NFL and I'm not sure if the Bills have--or will have--the kind of offensive line that he will need to maximize his potential, but I can see him being a good one in the pros.

I like Boise St. and watch them every chance I get. And, to be honest with you, I still can't figure out how Ian Johnson gets the yards that he gets or does some of the stuff that he does. He runs upright, perhaps too much, doesn't look fast, and does not appear to be very shifty. Yet, somehow the guy is always ending up in the end zone and has broken more than his share of long runs. He's so productive that he's going to get a shot in the NFL and, given what he's done on the college level, it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a pretty good pro RB, but he scares me because his style and the fact that he is coming out of that wide-open Boise St. offense lead me to believe that he might not be that good, especially in terms of having breakaway ability on the pro level. I'd want to bring him in behind a pretty good RB to see if he could cut it in the NFL first, rather than count on him to come in and take over as the starter right out of the draft. Still, he's a hard runner, tough, and has a nose for the goal-line, so he has a chance to be pretty decent, if not a star on the next level.

I'm pretty sure that McFadden and Slaton will be long gone before the Bills get around to their first pick in the draft after next season, even though the Bills will have a very tough schedule in 2007. They might have a shot at Hart, if he stays for his senior year, but there is a good chance that he would be gone, too. I haven't seen enough of Stewart to have a good idea what kind of pro he will be, but, given Jauron's penchant for going with bigger RBs, he might be a guy that the Bills would be interested in to replace or compliment McGahee. If size isn't a factor, though, Rice and Davis would be very interesting picks who should be available late in the first round or in the second round. And, Johnson is another guy who might be an option as well.

As for the others on the gbn list: I'm not a real fan of Texas RBs of late and Charles has not really stood out or dominated in any of their games that I have seen to the point where I would consider him as a potential franchise back on the next level--at least not yet. Ore seems to be hurt a lot and, when I have seen him, I haven't really been impressed with his vision. I don't see him being a major force on the next level. I really like Felix Jones of Arkansas--does he ever have speed! He's the lightning in the Hogs' Thunder and Lightning backfield duo and could be a mid-round (2-5) steal. The only question I have about him is how tough a runner he will be in short yardage and on the goal-line where McFadden has been getting most of the carries for Arkansas. At worst, I see him being a good back-up RB/change of pace back on the next level.

While I don't see the Bills making any move to get rid of McGahee before next season, I could easily see them letting him go and replacing him with one of these RBs after next season if Willis doesn't pick up his play or decides that he wants more money than the Bills want to give him. But, despite his shortcomings, I think it is a fair bet that Willis will be the Bills' starting RB next season.

Thats why I am advocating the stockpiling of picks trading McGahee now and getting something. If we get a R2'08 pick for him, we can use our R1, our R2 + an extra R2 to move up for Slaton. In the meantime we can bring in someone like TJ Duckett who can be part of a thunder and lighting. Lets not forget Bettis was ok with the Rams but great with the Steelers. TJ has had a one year hiatus, but was ok with the Falcons and could carry more of the load anyway.

McGahee will want to leave at the end of the contract (2007 season). He is likely to disrupt team chemistry anyway by holding out, so lets accept that. Despite playing with 'broken ribs' though I heard they were just banged up a little, he managed 100yds against the Jets but seemingly no-one else. He hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify a rise but Rosenhaus will insist on one.

Trade him, get something back, use it to manaouvre in the 2008 draft, get Slaton

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 04:32 AM
A big Guard could play right away. God knows we need one or two.

David Diehl, New York Giants, 6ft5, 319lbs, Free Agent

Earthquake Enyart
12-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Love Slaton.

Hart is too much like Willis. Power back. Not fast enough.

Rice isn't very big.