Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we ignore RB as a need in the 2007 draft ...

kernowboy

If we ignore RB as a need in the 2007 draft ...

LOOK WHATS COMING IN 2008 AND 2009

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

I know there is much discussion about McGahee, what to do about him and his contract status.

I have advocated trading him for a draft pick but in the 2008 draft. I think we can get by with A Train, maybe sign Duckett on a one year and be able to manoevre to pick the RB of the future in 2008

Personally I'd like Darren mcFadden but would happily live with the likes of Steve Slaton, Jonathan Stewart maybe even Ian Johnson
    Last edited by kernowboy; 12-20-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment raphael120's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If we ignore RB as a need in the 2007 draft ...

1. we're not getting mcfadden, are you nuts? he's not dropping to mid 1rst round.

2. if mcgahee goes, a-train will not get us very far. there's a reason he's a backup behind mcgahee. (mind you mcgahee isn't even doing that great)

3. there's a reason why ladell betts has beat out duckett. you want to sign a backup of a backup and think he'll do well behind this line?

keep mcgahee or trade him for a pick and draft a stud midround, maybe we'll luck out with a maroney or something of that nature. then use the 2 headed monster of that guy and a-train...a-train is not a good every down back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like to see Slaton come to Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let Willis play out his last year , draft a rb and see what happens, IMO. It'll be deja vu just like when Willis was drafted and Henry was the featured back. What goes around comes around. Willis just hasn't shown me he's a consistent rb you can count on in regular season although decent. Don't know how he will play in the playoffs because he hasn't been good enough to take us there on his own.

While I've seen Jp improve steadily, I can't say the same about Willis behind the same OL. If we can find another LT or Bush in the draft. Go for it. It'll only help JP and our O. Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.

It's my opinion that JP is a better qb than Rivers but doesn't have an LT to prove it.

kernowboy

Quote Originally Posted by raphael120
    1. we're not getting mcfadden, are you nuts? he's not dropping to mid 1rst round.

2. if mcgahee goes, a-train will not get us very far. there's a reason he's a backup behind mcgahee. (mind you mcgahee isn't even doing that great)

3. there's a reason why ladell betts has beat out duckett. you want to sign a backup of a backup and think he'll do well behind this line?

keep mcgahee or trade him for a pick and draft a stud midround, maybe we'll luck out with a maroney or something of that nature. then use the 2 headed monster of that guy and a-train...a-train is not a good every down back.
    1) it was looking at the 2008 draft. With our 1st and 2nd rounders plus another 2nd rounder we could easily manoevre. Not every team will have a RB need in 2008

2) actually when McGahee got injured, Thomas was given most of a game and recorded a decent performance

3) Duckett was signed right at the end of the preseason as insurance for Portis being injured. He fell to 3rd on the depth chart, before moving up. Even the most stupid of coaches uses a player who knows the system. Look at The Jets signing Ramsey. It was done only as an insurance policy and they gave up little. It doesn't mean he's a bad player it means the team want to have experienced security but pay as little as possible for it. I don't know the details of TJs Falcons contract that was traded but there may have been a performance bonus structure there. If Betts is doing ok, why play a guy alien to their system? At 6ft 254lbs I imagine he'd be more willing to make his own holes than Willis

At only 25 I'd like to see him brought in. If we draft Slaton in R1 of 2008 then we could replicate the old DVD of the Falcons with a LSD plus Evans

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.
    Thank you. I've been saying this all year. This is why opposing D's can blitz JP at will right now ( and do ! ).

I want a non-dancer who hits the line flying, whether the hole is there or not. Otherwise, JP can never make opposing D's respect the play action.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    Thank you. I've been saying this all year. This is why opposing D's can blitz JP at will right now ( and do ! ).

I want a non-dancer who hits the line flying, whether the hole is there or not. Otherwise, JP can never make opposing D's respect the play action.
    He hit that hole against the jets and see what happened.

No matter how hard teams try and gameplan against LT, he still get's over 150 ypg and breaks every NFL record. Teams don't gameplan against Willis and yet he can't break 100 yards. Other rb's (some of which are rookies or younger than Willis) with crappy OL have done better.

He doesn't even have his stiff arm anymore

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No matter how hard teams try and gameplan against LT, he still get's over 1500 yards and breaks every NFL record. Teams don't gameplan against Willis and yet he can't break 100 yards. Other rb's (some of which are rookies or younger than Willis) with crappy OL can do better.

Are you saying we need a player like LT?

Because those come very rarely.
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does anyone know what round Slaton is supposed to be drafted?

kernowboy

He's on the small side so no matter how well he does I think it would like be in the 15 to 25 range a bit like Maroney

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe that McFadden is a sophomore

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Slaton and McFadden are both top 5 picks if they come out next season. Neither has to though. They will both only be Jrs.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Its supposed to be an extremely strong QB class next season, and personally I think there is going to be a great find in th elate rounds in Lorenzo Booker from FSU who I feel could be a starter in this league and a hidden gem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let Willis play out his last year , draft a rb and see what happens, IMO. It'll be deja vu just like when Willis was drafted and Henry was the featured back. What goes around comes around. Willis just hasn't shown me he's a consistent rb you can count on in regular season although decent. Don't know how he will play in the playoffs because he hasn't been good enough to take us there on his own.

While I've seen Jp improve steadily, I can't say the same about Willis behind the same OL. If we can find another LT or Bush in the draft. Go for it. It'll only help JP and our O. Willis isn't much of a threat that teams gameplan against. JP can't even do play action because of it.

It's my opinion that JP is a better qb than Rivers but doesn't have an LT to prove it.
    I agree that we let Willis play out his contract no matter what. A-Train only has a one-year contract if I remember correctly. Thus, we either resign him, or draft another RB. I have no problem with Willis and a solid rookie platooning. Look at how many teams did it successfully this year: NE, Carolina, Indy, Jax, etc. Then when Willis' contract expires, we can decide if he's worth keeping, or alternatively have already gotten his replacement a year of experience.

I guess what we do in FA will determine whether we want to spend a Day 1 pick on a RB.

I'm not knocking McGahee though. he's a good back. no LT, but who is.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Romes
    Are you saying we need a player like LT?

Because those come very rarely.
    nope. Just comparing. A rb like LT is what made Rivers a probowler even though he's nothing great. Give JP a consistent Rb, he'll look like a probowler too.

I'm just running out of excuses trying to defend Willis especially when the same excuses can be given to Henry who's having a better year than Willis.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Isn't mcfadden eligable to declare for the draft already?

kernowboy

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    Slaton and McFadden are both top 5 picks if they come out next season. Neither has to though. They will both only be Jrs.
    I think Slaton will come out after his junior especially as he's now a family man as well. Won't want to risk a college injury.

At 5ft10 and 195lbs even if he adds another 15lbs he'll still be considered a Wariwck Dunn, Westbrook type and I can see him sliding to the middle of R1

I think to be on the safe side we use McGahee to get an extra pick so we can move up if necessary

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kernowboy
    I think to be on the safe side we use McGahee to get an extra pick so we can move up if necessary
    Why would teams trade for Willis instead of drafting one of those rb's?

kernowboy

Because they might want a RB now especially if they rate McGahee in their system. Teams I can think of include Atlanta, NYG, Houston etc. Some teams may want to buy now pay later. I would favour pay now, buy later ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On the play where Willis started out going left and Losman threw a block that let him get back to the right side, Willis gave a Dolphin defender 3 quick stiff arms just before he went out of bounds. He really pounded the guy.

I think that everyone is under-rating Willis because his season's stats are disappointing. He competed hard despite some injuries. He came up big against the Jags and Jets. He had a key run at the end of the first half against the Phins along with some other good runs against a very good defense.

Keep him and A-train, and draft someone in the later rounds to replace Shaud Williams.