PDA

View Full Version : I despise CBS...

Historian
01-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Allow me to rant for a moment.

You spend a couple grand on a plasma set, several hundred on tuners, antennas, surround sound, etc,

and CBS gives you a football game that's upverted and cropped on the sides.

WTF is up with that?

I may not like Rupert Murdoch and everything the fscumbag stands for, I may hate his announcers, and not even follow the NFC...

...but at least every one of his games are in full letterbox 1080i.

CBS is a joke.

The_Philster
01-01-2007, 08:29 AM
If you're trying to be Op Jr, we've already got JoeMama auditioning for the role

Mitchy moo
01-01-2007, 08:38 AM

You spend a couple grand on a plasma set, several hundred on tuners, antennas, surround sound, etc,

WTF is up with that?

I may not like Rupert Murdoch and everything the fscumbag stands for, I may hate his announcers, and not even follow the NFC...

your right:candle:

BILLSROCK1212
01-01-2007, 02:16 PM

WTF is up with that?

CBS is a joke.they give an explanation for this on wikipedia

OpIv37
01-01-2007, 02:21 PM

WTF is up with that?

CBS is a joke.

CBS's HD is a joke- we haven't had an HD game since Indy. I've been ranting about this for months. 3 HD games a week is ****ing pathetic, especially when their competitor, Fox, has 6. There have been weeks where Fox had EVERY ONE of their games in HD and CBS had 5 that weren't HD. There's simply no excuse for that.

Unfortunately, CBS has a monopoly on AFC games, so the network is able to circumvent the usual inherent market forces that would force it to keep up with the competition. For most of us, watching Seattle vs. Tampa Bay in HD is not a suitable alternative to watching the Bills. The NFL should threaten to give the contract to NBC or ABC/ESPN if CBS doesn't join the 21st ****ing century sometime soon- that would put the competition factor back into play.

hammerbillsfan
01-01-2007, 02:23 PM
They have the ****ing Gator Bowl yet only 3 NFL games. :wtf:

Ebenezer
01-01-2007, 06:21 PM
upverted???

I guess since I am watching a TV I already know it isn't like I am there in person.

Stewie
01-01-2007, 06:51 PM
blah blah blah... rich people *****ing... blah blah blah

G. Host
01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
I think all of the rich people who are *****ing ought to be willing to pay more to see Biills in HD. Do not a worry though in future every game will be in high definition when government rams HD down our throats.

Cntrygal
01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't even know what upverted means. :insane::boozer:

OpIv37
01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I think all of the rich people who are *****ing ought to be willing to pay more to see Biills in HD. Do not a worry though in future every game will be in high definition when government rams HD down our throats.

I pay $10 a month extra for DirecTV's HD package and $100 extra for the Superfan package to get the HD games, not to mention the cost of the TV, the receiver, and the satellite dish. I'm willing to pay extra and I am paying extra, but I still get screwed because of CBS. It's ridiculous.

Oh and you're absolutely right about the government ramming HD down our throats- despite the tremendous advances in technology over the last two decades or so, we should all be watching the exact same quality picture that our parents and grandparents watched when color TV's became affordable 35 years ago :rolleyes:.

I mean, 70 years ago the FCC decided that TV should be in 4:3 but movies should be in 16:9 so we should still have to watch movies with either 1/3 of our screen as black bars or the sides of the picture cut off in reformatting, right? :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be *****ing about the government "ramming" HD down our throats- you should be *****ing about the fact that it's taken them 70 years to correct an oversight and that it's taking them so long to embrace new technology.

mikemac2001
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
hes right i aint rich but have an HDTV i bought and i saw like one game in HD i mean fox are all HD and the diff is huge, im sick of saints giants and philly in HD i want my bills

JoeMama
01-01-2007, 10:16 PM
My real beef w/ CBS is all the god damn commercials.

Honestly, I've never seen a channel cram in more commercials than CBS during a football game.

CBS takes it so far that you even miss a play or two every game.

It gets annoying.

OpIv37
01-01-2007, 10:19 PM
My real beef w/ CBS is all the god damn commercials.

Honestly, I've never seen a channel cram in more commercials than CBS during a football game.

CBS takes it so far that you even miss a play or two every game.

It gets annoying.

and all that advertising money is revenue they could be using to convert to HD. They make us watch the ads and then they keep all the benefits instead of passing it on to their customers with enhanced service. That's BS.

kinigirly
01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
all i saw were drug commercials nonstop, especially for the old erectile dysfunction disorder. at least they understand their audience

OpIv37
01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
all i saw were drug commercials nonstop, especially for the old erectile dysfunction disorder. at least they understand their audience

yeah, it's all the people whose nuts don't work from years of watching their old RCA Radiation King picture tube TV sets.

JoeMama
01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
and all that advertising money is revenue they could be using to convert to HD. They make us watch the ads and then they keep all the benefits instead of passing it on to their customers with enhanced service. That's BS.

Yeah, it's definitely not about the customer.

That's life in the business world.

I almost wish the Bills were on pay-per-view like boxing. No commercials at all. I'd pay for it.

JoeMama
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM

For real.

If I see another mildly middle-aged looking man throw a football thru a tire swing, I'm gonna lose it.

G. Host
01-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I pay $10 a month extra for DirecTV's HD package and $100 extra for the Superfan package to get the HD games, not to mention the cost of the TV, the receiver, and the satellite dish. I'm willing to pay extra and I am paying extra, but I still get screwed because of CBS. It's ridiculous.

CBS is not getting that extra money - DirectTV is. Complain to DirectTV that they ought to pass on some of the cash to get CBS to upgrade or you will not be wlling to pay them the money.

Historian
01-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Oh and you're absolutely right about the government ramming HD down our throats- despite the tremendous advances in technology over the last two decades or so, we should all be watching the exact same quality picture that our parents and grandparents watched when color TV's became affordable 35 years ago :rolleyes:.

Absolutely right.

This is a law that our elected representitives passed.

CBS should be forced to comply with it or suffer the consequences.

And since it's a broadcast standard, DirecTV should not be allowed to charge extra for it, be it football games, or movies.

Historian
01-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Trivia Question...for a thousand Zonebucks from your Historian:

The Bills played in the first ever football game broadcasted in High Definition.

Who was it against, and when was it?

Stewie
01-02-2007, 06:57 AM
hes right i aint rich but have an HDTV i bought and i saw like one game in HD i mean fox are all HD and the diff is huge, im sick of saints giants and philly in HD i want my bills

bull****.

you live in america. you own an HDTV. you are rich beyond the wildest imaginations of 99% of the world.

mikemac2001
01-02-2007, 07:39 AM
bull****.

you live in america. you own an HDTV. you are rich beyond the wildest imaginations of 99% of the world.

im 21 and work at radioshack...its called paying for it overtime...i barely have enough money day to day but i get it done...im not rich so dont judge me bc i have an HDTV
but the point is i spent money and cbs doesnt spend money to let us watch hd games...while fox everything is HD

Stewie
01-02-2007, 07:46 AM
im 21 and work at radioshack...its called paying for it overtime...i barely have enough money day to day but i get it done...im not rich so dont judge me bc i have an HDTV
but the point is i spent money and cbs doesnt spend money to let us watch hd games...while fox everything is HD

I don't know why you think I'm "judging" you because you're rich. That says more about you than me.

You are rich, whether you have figured it out yet or not. Almost everyone in america is rich (where the "poor" have clothing, food, water, and television.) Anyone with an HDTV is rich. If you think I'm "judging" you, then you need to reorganize your own priorities.

And once again I will point out that CBS faked a memo to bring down the president, and that was okay. But ****ing around with HDTV, thats awful.

Earthquake Enyart
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I won't buy the HD package from direcTV until all the CBS games are in HD. :mad:

OpIv37
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I won't buy the HD package from direcTV until all the CBS games are in HD. :mad:

good thought except I got addicted to the Game Mix channel this year.

The_Philster
01-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Trivia Question...for a thousand Zonebucks from your Historian:

The Bills played in the first ever football game broadcasted in High Definition.

Who was it against, and when was it?
November 8, 1998
Jets-Bills
Meadowlands

Historian
01-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Phil, you take all the fun out of these things....

:down:

The_Philster
01-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Phil, you take all the fun out of these things....

:down:
Hey...people had 14 hours...no one even guessed :idunno:

BILLSROCK1212
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
the story with CBS is that they are putting money into a new football studio and HD games for college football instead of the NFL and that is the truth

OpIv37
01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
the story with CBS is that they are putting money into a new football studio and HD games for college football instead of the NFL and that is the truth

well that means they have the equipment. College football games are on Sunday. If they pack it up and move it overnight to the closest NFL home game, they could offer more games in HD. Hell, think of the big summer concert tours like Warped Tour- they finish in one city at 9 pm one night and they're set up and ready to go in a city that's 8 hours away by 1 pm the next day.

Plus, Fox doesn't show college ball- if CBS can re-use equipment and crews, that reduces their cost per HD showing (and that doesn't even account for the added revenue that CBS makes when Fox is showing reruns of Stargate: Atlantis against major college football games).

Translation: CBS is trying to tell us that the opportunity cost of HD college games is less HD NFL games, and that's simply not true in the real world.

The_Philster
01-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Uhhh..Op...the Orange Bowl is airing on FOX right now

BILLSROCK1212
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
well that means they have the equipment. College football games are on Sunday. If they pack it up and move it overnight to the closest NFL home game, they could offer more games in HD. Hell, think of the big summer concert tours like Warped Tour- they finish in one city at 9 pm one night and they're set up and ready to go in a city that's 8 hours away by 1 pm the next day.

Plus, Fox doesn't show college ball- if CBS can re-use equipment and crews, that reduces their cost per HD showing (and that doesn't even account for the added revenue that CBS makes when Fox is showing reruns of Stargate: Atlantis against major college football games).

Translation: CBS is trying to tell us that the opportunity cost of HD college games is less HD NFL games, and that's simply not true in the real world.CBS does SEC games in the south east meaning they they can't move it to Buffalo for the next day and anyway either way it is impossible to hook the equipment up in a matter of hours

OpIv37
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Uhhh..Op...the Orange Bowl is airing on FOX right now

A whole 5 bowl games- it's not the same as showing it every week.

OpIv37
01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
CBS does SEC games in the south east meaning they they can't move it to Buffalo for the next day and anyway either way it is impossible to hook the equipment up in a matter of hours

No, but they could move it to Jacksonville or Tennessee or Miami or Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina or the Redskins (if one of them was hosting an AFC team), hence getting twice the usage out of a college HD crews and saving one of the NFL HD crews for a place like Buffalo.

Also, depending on where the college games are and the time, Houston, KC, St Louis, Baltimore and Cincy might also be within a day's range.

It can be done.

THATHURMANATOR
01-02-2007, 11:31 PM
This is why I am not Wasting my money on these stupid TVs..... I will wait!

LtFinFan66
01-03-2007, 03:21 AM
:rofl:

The_Philster
01-03-2007, 04:24 AM
A whole 5 bowl games- it's not the same as showing it every week.
the frequency with which they show college ball notwithstanding..they still show it :shakeno:

OpIv37
01-03-2007, 07:11 AM
the frequency with which they show college ball notwithstanding..they still show it :shakeno:
:rolleyes: some of you people need everything spelled out literally.

On Saturdays from August through November, CBS can re-use their HD cameras for college games while Fox's cameras collect dust, hence CBS could potentially get more revenue out of the cameras than Fox. Yet, Fox still has more HD NFL games, despite not having anything to use them for on Saturdays.

Get it now?

The_Philster
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm messing with ya, Op :laughter: Didn't you see the smilie? You've gotta lighten up sometimes

OpIv37
01-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm messing with ya, Op :laughter: Didn't you see the smilie? You've gotta lighten up sometimes

now that we're on the subject though-

I think the fact that the Fox announcers haven't covered college ball over the course of their season hurts their coverage of the bowl games. I can't speak for LSU because I didn't follow them during the regular season, but some of the things the Fox guys said in pre-game and the play-by-play guys said during the game made it obvious that they haven't paid much attention to ND this year. And some of it was even from Tim Brown, who's about as big an ND homer as it gets. I noticed some similar problems with the announcers during the USC/Michigan game.

Also, Terry Bradshaw should NEVER do play-by-play. The guy screws around too much and has no attention span- that works well for an entertaining, off-the-cuff pre or post game show, but it's annoying as hell during the game.