PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl and Draft Notes

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407854

Guy seems really impressed with Willis.. If he's really this productive, if we dont score Briggs or June this guy sounds like a great pick.

OpIv37
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I have this sinking feeling that when it comes to Briggs, June, and Willis we're going to be 0 for 3.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Well 2 things are certain..

1) We're losing Fletcher
2) Whether via FA or the draft we BETTER get an impact LB who can make plays all over the field. Cause Spikes/Crowell/Ellison is NOT going to cut it. It is a semi-decent LB corp, but it is NOT going to be a unit of difference makers.

Kerr
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Brandon Mebane has been getting a lot of buzz. I like what i've read about him. He sounds like he may be a good fit in the bills system.

Kerr
01-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Well 2 things are certain..

1) We're losing Fletcher
2) Whether via FA or the draft we BETTER get an impact LB who can make plays all over the field. Cause Spikes/Crowell/Ellison is NOT going to cut it. It is a semi-decent LB corp, but it is NOT going to be a unit of difference makers.

Agreed. If what they said on pfw was true, then they will look to replace fletcher with a bigger and better mlb. Willis fits the bill. If they dont' feel Ellison should be a starter, then they could get a guy like boss bailey.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Well the good thing about Crowell is he is versatile and could play OLB or MLB...

So they could go after the better LB period, rather than be stuck having to take a specific LB position.

Personally, and I highly doubt it would happen; but if we spend money on ONE big FA signing, I really hope its Briggs cause our LB's would be nasty..

I would then use our 12th pick on whomever the best all-around (including run stopping) DE is in the draft. I hear there are 3-4 REALLY solid DE's in this class.

That would make our front seven VERY FORMIDABLE.. and yes our corners would be weaker w/o Clements but maybe we can get more help there and even if not, having a better front seven to me is more important than spending a pile of money on a cornerback.

As for RB, I REALLY like Lynch- But I really think like it or not, Marv is going to sick with Willis for this year, let him play his contract out and then see whats out there in FA or draft next year.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
For the record:

Both teams in the Super Bowl have great front sevens and average secondaries, with great SS (Sanders and the injured Brown). Whitner could be that guy for us.

DraftBoy
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I think Brandon Siler from UF will be a better LB option than Pat Willis.

Night Train
01-26-2007, 11:12 AM
replace fletcher with a bigger and better mlb. Willis fits the bill.

Willis weighs 10 lbs. less than Fletcher. Might be OK as an inside guy in a 3-4 D but not sure he's big enough to avoid getting run over as a true MLB in a 4-3.

I like Harris Of Michigan in the middle more. Saw him play several games this past year. Fast to the hole and strong. 250 lbs. and a true run stuffer who can shed the blocks. Could very well be there in Round 2.

eyedog
01-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I also like Harris and may be there in the 3rd rd.

raphael120
01-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but I think putting Crowell in MLB position is a big no no, he's not as big as Willis and I believe if we do get Willis, he would turn out to be a lot better. As much as Crowell is praised, he really isn't that impact player....yet. He's shown flashes this last season, but when youre with Fletcher and Spikes, its like being a half way decent looker and goin to the bar with 2 fat dudes and looking that much more attractive.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Cal's Daymeion Hughes, before getting knocked out with a hamstring injury, was the best corner in Mobile. He still needs some technique work, but he's been far better than the overrated big-name DB prospects who haven't been sensational.
Ole Miss LB Patrick Willis was ultra-productive in college, and now shows it should translate to the next level. He's done enough to be considered a top 15-caliber pick, or a big-time steal if he falls late in the first round.

Like I said before, Hughes is going to be the best CB out of this draft.

Willis has got to be awfully high on the Bills' board.

BILLSROCK1212
01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
100% agree on this

LifetimeBillsFan
01-27-2007, 12:55 AM
I think that there are a couple of ways that the Bills could go to deal with their needs at LB and a lot of options available in this draft, but the reports that I have seen are that Patrick Willis has been the best LB at the Senior Bowl workouts so far this week. If the Bills decide to draft a MLB to replace Fletcher-Baker rather than addressing the issue in some other way, I can definitely see them being very interested in Willis and would not be unhappy if they were to decide to make him their pick.

But, as Pat pointed out in another thread, it's still early and there is a long way to go before the draft.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2007, 01:19 AM
100% agree on this

I disagree with both of ya.

I like Siler, too. But Pat Willis is the truth and would be a great, great pick.

jamze132
01-27-2007, 04:28 AM
We need to draft out Urlacher!

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 09:50 AM

Why?

jpdex12
01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
100% agree on this

Not starting anything just trying to make heads or tails of the LB situation, but have either of you guys that are touting Harris seen enough of Willis in a game to make a fair comparison fo the two LB's?

Philagape
01-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Not starting anything just trying to make heads or tails of the LB situation, but have either of you guys that are touting Harris seen enough of Willis in a game to make a fair comparison fo the two LB's?

Has anybody seen anyone in a game enough to sound like the experts they pretend to be? People who do this for a living, with way more time and resources, get it wrong a lot, but armchair posters on a message board know what they're talking about. OK.

eyedog
01-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey f-brain. Harris is a big runstuffer who can be had in the 3rd rd. Willis will probably be gone before we pick in the 2nd. If we can get a run stuffer in the 3rd we can still use the 1st two picks elsewhere. Of course Harris my not "fit the system" just like Ngata so we drafted a Freaking safety at #8. All I know is said safety had better turn into an Ed Reed type player.

Bert102176
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
why all this love for June he isn't that great

LifetimeBillsFan
01-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Hey f-brain. Harris is a big runstuffer who can be had in the 3rd rd. Willis will probably be gone before we pick in the 2nd. If we can get a run stuffer in the 3rd we can still use the 1st two picks elsewhere. Of course Harris my not "fit the system" just like Ngata so we drafted a Freaking safety at #8. All I know is said safety had better turn into an Ed Reed type player.

Despite being leveraged by Leonard on one play, Willis had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, was all over the place during the game, lead both sides in tackles and was the South's Defensive MVP--and is now being considered by some as a Top 15 pick. So, you're right, he won't be there in the early second round, although he might be there at # 12.

Harris probably was the # 2 LB, certainly the # 2 MLB, and, depending on how he does at The Combine, may have moved up into the second round at this point. I wouldn't be unhappy with Harris in a Bills' uniform (in fact I have said so in previous posts), but he may not be there in the 3rd round now given his performance at the Senior Bowl and the needs of some teams.

As for said safety, he did finish his rookie season second on the team in tackles and was picked as a starter on several All-Rookie teams.

Night Train
01-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Despite being leveraged by Leonard on one play, Willis had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, was all over the place during the game, lead both sides in tackles and was the South's Defensive MVP--and is now being considered by some as a Top 15 pick. So, you're right, he won't be there in the early second round, although he might be there at # 12.

Harris probably was the # 2 LB, certainly the # 2 MLB, and, depending on how he does at The Combine, may have moved up into the second round at this point. I wouldn't be unhappy with Harris in a Bills' uniform (in fact I have said so in previous posts), but he may not be there in the 3rd round now given his performance at the Senior Bowl and the needs of some teams.

As for said safety, he did finish his rookie season second on the team in tackles and was picked as a starter on several All-Rookie teams.

Harris was projected as a 2nd rounder all along, from the several reports I read. I have mentioned him constantly as the best true MLB prospect. 250 lbs.and closes into the hole fast to stop the RB.
Willis was lining up outside and doesn't have the size for the middle, weighing in at 230. Someone will take Willis in the 1st Round.

kernowboy
01-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Why is size at MLB important?

Robert Jones of the Cowboys was a big MLB at 6ft3 and 250lbs but always was tackling players who had got past the line of scrimage and were down the field. I recall it being a major criticism against him. Likewise, Fletcher made a huge number of tackles, they often occured after the damage was done.

Surely the most effective MLB is not based on size but on dynamism, athletcism, aggression and being able to read the game, to attack the ball carrier before he's worked up a head of steam but to drop back in coverage quickly when necessary.

As players get older the aging process will reduce this dynamism and athleticism but surely it would be better to go for a dynamic player or move Crowell here than revert to a classic unathletic MLB thumper who may need to be taking out on passing plays?

LifetimeBillsFan
01-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Harris was projected as a 2nd rounder all along, from the several reports I read. I have mentioned him constantly as the best true MLB prospect. 250 lbs.and closes into the hole fast to stop the RB.
Willis was lining up outside and doesn't have the size for the middle, weighing in at 230. Someone will take Willis in the 1st Round.

I don't know what you were watching or where you got your information, but Willis played MLB (with Alexander and Everrett on either side of him) and officially weighed in at 240 (that weight was listed on several sites). Check the clips of the game on NFL.com and you will clearly see Willis (# 49 in the red jersey with dark blue helmet) playing in the middle.

DraftBoy
01-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Why?

Brandon Siler in the game film I saw was the more dynamic of the two players. Allow me to explain, Florida doesnt not have a massive front 4, they do alot of penetrating on defense. Siler excelled in this D, due to his ability to shed blockers and make the play. Im not saying Willis isnt good at this, but Siler is better. I also think Siler may be faster in the 40, we wont know this till the combine. Both are amazing tacklers and both read the plays very well. Coverage Id give the slight edge to Willis in. But to me the most important component of our new MLB has to be the ability to shed blockers and make plays and to me, Siler did that better than anyone in the country this past season.