PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ingtar

Devin
01-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Alan Branch?

He looks like a Mcfarland/Sapp type DT to me. Thoughts?

Ingtar33
01-27-2007, 02:04 AM
meh.

you know, to be honest, none of the DT's, thus far, from what i've seen have stood out overmuch.

when guys like henderson or harris came out, it was clear in college they were can't miss guys. even then henderson took a few years, and harris, while he got some good pressure his rookie year, was largely ineffective vs the run...

but then you know i dislike drafting DTs... with few exceptions (i would have loved it had the bills drafted either john henderson or tommy harris), i was cackling with laughter when the jets traded up a few years ago to pick up Dewayne Robertson. Give him another few years and he might be a solid run stuffer, but he was never worth what the jets gave up for him.

clumping platelets
01-27-2007, 02:13 AM
So how do we solve the hole at DT? Wait for McCargo to develop? Sign Ian Scott from da Bears? :dizzy:

Ingtar33
01-27-2007, 02:23 AM
i think we're mostly stuck... with what we can dig up in FA.

Devin
01-27-2007, 02:36 AM
I followed Harris a lot at OU, I would have loved for him to have been a Bill.

Branch im on the fence about. Part of me thinks he has the potential to be a beast at the pro level.

Im not sure what to make of this years DT crop.

jamze132
01-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Interesting take on DTs. I just hope we get a fat bastard in here before camp starts.

RedEyE
01-27-2007, 06:19 AM
i think we're mostly stuck... with what we can dig up in FA.

:up:

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I know the whole system thing, but I was hoping for Ngata last year. He was probably the most NFL ready DT I've ever seen. He was solid for the Ravens this season.

Goobylal
01-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Well surely there are some DT's who defy expectations and do well. I don't think the Bills need a sack-meister at DT, but rather a run-stopper.

Ingtar33
01-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I know the whole system thing, but I was hoping for Ngata last year. He was probably the most NFL ready DT I've ever seen. He was solid for the Ravens this season.

the raven's used him more as a DE for their 3-4.

Michael82
01-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Ian Scott needs to be signed on day 1 of free agency by the Bills. :pray:

RedEyE
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Ian Scott needs to be signed on day 1 of free agency by the Bills. :pray:

The only thing giving that fleeting notion a glimpse of hope, is Dick Juaron. If Scott doesn't resign with the Bears that is.

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 11:36 AM
the raven's used him more as a DE for their 3-4.

And he's versatile. Adelius Thomas was their pass rushing OLB. Makes sense that he had 11 sacks this year....Thank you Ngata.

Tatonka
01-27-2007, 11:46 AM
ing, what are your thoughts on mccargo?

The last buffalo fan
01-27-2007, 01:13 PM

He is a DT, he doesn't like DTs.

PECKERWOOD
01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
If Branch falls to Buffalo then we needa take him. I'm not sure if you guys watched much of Michigan this past year, but I sure as hell did and Branch constantly collapsed the pocket and pushed it backwards.. For what my opinion is worth, I will go out on a limb and say that Branch is going to out perform any DT taken in this years draft, as well as last years draft, combined. As far as potential and value as to where you can get a stud DT at my list goes: 1.) Branch, 2.) Thomas, 3.) Pitcock, 4.) Okoye. I just find it funny how it takes DT's so long to develop but people want to draft Amobi Okoye right away even though he is probably one of the most under developed DT's in the draft and will take even longer for him to peak. I'm not saying he will never be good, but he wont be good for Buffalo right away.

HAMMER
01-27-2007, 01:42 PM
If Branch falls to Buffalo then we needa take him. I'm not sure if you guys watched much of Michigan this past year, but I sure as hell did and Branch constantly collapsed the pocket and pushed it backwards.. For what my opinion is worth, I will go out on a limb and say that Branch is going to out perform any DT taken in this years draft, as well as last years draft, combined. As far as potential and value as to where you can get a stud DT at my list goes: 1.) Branch, 2.) Thomas, 3.) Pitcock, 4.) Okoye. I just find it funny how it takes DT's so long to develop but people want to draft Amobi Okoye right away even though he is probably one of the most under developed DT's in the draft and will take even longer for him to peak. I'm not saying he will never be good, but he wont be good for Buffalo right away.

You talk about it taking time for DT's to develop yet in the McCargo thread you say McCargo is showing classic signs of being a bust after only one season. Which is it?

Ingtar33
01-27-2007, 05:31 PM

If he's going to be a stud it will take two more years.

Kerr
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
If he's going to be a stud it will take two more years.

2 years?
Btw, who do you think is the best fit at Dt for the team in FA?

DraftBoy
01-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Im curious as to what you think about Brandon Mebane? Kid has been getting alot of good press recently.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
So how do we solve the hole at DT? Wait for McCargo to develop? Sign Ian Scott from da Bears? :dizzy:

Sign scott. Time to sign FA run stuffer.

Tatonka
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
is scott really a good run stuffer though? he is not even a starter on chicagos line.. tank and harris are the starters.

i am not convinced that he is the answer, although i dont know that much about him. can someone convince me?

DraftBoy
01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
is scott really a good run stuffer though? he is not even a starter on chicagos line.. tank and harris are the starters.

i am not convinced that he is the answer, although i dont know that much about him. can someone convince me?

23 tackles, 1 FF-2006....nothing impressive
73 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF-Career....again nothing impressive

6-3, 302 lbs, 25 years old

Never played a full season

Does defend a good bit of passes 5 in 2005, 6 in 2006.

Stats dont tell the whole story, but this kid doesnt look like anything special.

Kerr
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Say they draft Okoye, are they are going to expect him to contribute immediately? There are hardly any good options out there as far as big run stuffers go in FA. You have to take what you can get. One of those guys from the Bears D-line would be an upgrade over what we have now. Boone or Scott. Pick.

Ingtar33
01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Im curious as to what you think about Brandon Mebane? Kid has been getting alot of good press recently.

Good 3 technique, won't be a great one (though take that with a grain of salt, i only saw him play 2 games), might make a better 5

And there is no way on the planet he tops 6'0" 270 (he might but he looks like a midge, might be the guys he was playing next to)

Bmax
01-29-2007, 06:58 PM
He measured and weighed at the senior bowl 6-1 302......looked 5-11 ....it will be intersting to see what his combine numbers are......

Brandon Mebane/California Ht: 6010 Wt: 304
Arm: 32 1/2 Hand: 10
Monday Practice Notes: Quick hands, plays low off the ball, powerful lower body, and could be a two-gap player in the right places. Very good work ethic.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Excelled in passing situations, but struggled against the run. Has nice hands and quickness off the snap and gave some of the interior offensive linemen fits in passing drills. Needed to hold his ground better against the run overall. Looked very much like a one gap defensive tackle today.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Easily the best player on the field today for the North squad. A complete disruptive force which was barely slowed down, let alone stopped at any time. Did all this as a one technique. Fired off the ball hard, used his hands well, and shed blocks. Registered a handful of practice tackles for loss. The single knock from today’s practice was his inability on a couple of occasions to anchor on downblocks.
Thursday Practice Notes: After a stellar performance yesterday, struggled some today. Gave up the chest too often and was controlled by opposing linemen because of it. Again showed some nice spin moves in his pass rush.
Analysis: An enigma throughout week. One day he was quiet and did not look especially impressive, the next he was the best player on the field. The question as to whether he is better suited as a one gap penetrator or a two gap defensive tackle was raised most of the week. By all indications, Mebane would excel in a defense where he is allowed to be a disruptive force in a one gap system.

Bmax

Ingtar33
01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
that 6-1 302 i think is listed on the cal roster.

there is no way the guy i saw in the senior bowl was 6'1" and 300+