PDA

View Full Version : Lance Briggs will most likely be franchised per Sirrius.

HHURRICANE
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Just heard that the rumor out of Chicago is a franchise tag for Mr. Briggs. Maybe time to think about re-signing Clements. Maybe paying #1 money for a top 6 corner is stupid but it's better than having a top 25 corner playing with a scrub LB.

Carlton Bailey
02-06-2007, 01:52 PM

The King
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
What did Sirius report though?

Michael82
02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Cato June is still available and top on my list. :up:

ZacGriffi~82
02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Cato June would be a lateral move.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
No matter what they do this off-season people will be pissed. Personally, if signing Clements should still be on the list of things to do. Whether or not it actually happens is another topic, but to completely rule it out is foolish. I don't see how Youboty could be his replacement. Nobody has really seen him play. And considering how often I saw McGee get toasted this past season, it worries me to think it will be McGee and Youboty.

kernowboy
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Cato June is still available and top on my list. :up:

Briggs was statistically good and yet somehow annoymous on Sunday

June would be no better than Ellison.

If we are going to make the LB corp younger and bigger, we might want to look at Napolean Harris 6ft2 and 255lbs and only 27 in the middle and then draft early in Day1 - Timmons, Posluzny, or Willis. Even if we cut TKO that would give us youth, talent and depth

ZacGriffi~82
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
If not Briggs then i want Boss Bailey.

Patrick76777
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe time to think about re-signing Clements. Maybe paying #1 money for a top 6 corner is stupid but it's better than having a top 25 corner playing with a scrub LB.

That's perfect logic. I'm serious. It's what I've been saying.

HHURRICANE
02-06-2007, 02:23 PM
No matter what they do this off-season people will be pissed. Personally, if signing Clements should still be on the list of things to do. Whether or not it actually happens is another topic, but to completely rule it out is foolish. I don't see how Youboty could be his replacement. Nobody has really seen him play. And considering how often I saw McGee get toasted this past season, it worries me to think it will be McGee and Youboty.

I was willing to let Clements walk based on us bringing talent in other places. If there is nobody that significantly upgrades us at another position than re-signing Clements makes sense. Plus I'd have his ass returning punts like he used to.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Clements is NOT a need. You do NOT need top CB's playing the cover 2.

You don't see how yobotay can be his replacement, but then you say no one has really seen him play, including you. So how can you say he can't be clements replacement?

I see us signing a mid tier guy like nick harper to come in and compete with Yo for the job.

Top flight corners 1) arent' worth taking up about 1/10th of your cap on one player and 2) not a need in the cover 2

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM

If we are going to make the LB corp younger and bigger, we might want to look at Napolean Harris 6ft2 and 255lbs and only 27 in the middle and then draft early in Day1 - Timmons, Posluzny, or Willis. Even if we cut TKO that would give us youth, talent and depth

Ok lets get this out of the way Poslunzny is NOT going to be a good NFL QB. During the SR bowl week he looked AWFUL! he isn't athletic, slow etc. This was linked at some point during that week.

If anything you leave OLB alone and draft P willis or the kid from Florida to play ILB for us.

RockStar36

You don't see how yobotay can be his replacement, but then you say no one has really seen him play, including you. So how can you say he can't be clements replacement?

I see us signing a mid tier guy like nick harper to come in and compete with Yo for the job.

Top flight corners 1) arent' worth taking up about 1/10th of your cap on one player and 2) not a need in the cover 2

Unless I'm missing something he has only played a handful of plays in the NFL. That's a pretty big risk going into next season.

Kerr

Word.

HHURRICANE
02-06-2007, 02:36 PM

This is the counter argument that I have been pitching. Youboty will be a fine corner but not an improvement over Clements. If the Bills aren't making a major upgrade at LB, DT or DE than we just took a step backwards. PERIOD.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Unless I'm missing something he has only played a handful of plays in the NFL. That's a pretty big risk going into next season.

And Winfield and clements played none but started as rookies. Yobotay has the size, athleticism and speed needed to play CB in the NFL plus his background of also being from OSU. So he will have about a full year in our system vs winfield and clements being rookie starters.

I have no issue with giving him every chance to show what he can do.

kernowboy
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok lets get this out of the way Poslunzny is NOT going to be a good NFL QB. During the SR bowl week he looked AWFUL! he isn't athletic, slow etc. This was linked at some point during that week.

If anything you leave OLB alone and draft P willis or the kid from Florida to play ILB for us.

Posluzny doesn't play QB

At LB many coaches say that while he never performs well in Senior Bowl type workouts he is a player with instincts and intelligence, the intangibles to become a very good player. How many NFL top players have never look good in tests? How many LBs have to run a 40yds dash in the Pros?

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
This is the counter argument that I have been pitching. Youboty will be a fine corner but not an improvement over Clements. If the Bills aren't making a major upgrade at LB, DT or DE than we just took a step backwards. PERIOD.

I was watching NFLN Sun morning and they were talking about the Bears CB's and deion. Mooch said 'This is not (hugging deion) a cover 2 corner'. What he meant was you don't need great CB's for the cover 2.

signing clements is a waste of money.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't have a problem with him starting. It was a draft pick that I really liked last year. I just think it's a risk to throw him in the starting lineup considering that they plan on upgrading a good portion of the D.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Posluzny doesn't play QB

At LB many coaches say that while he never performs well in Senior Bowl type workouts he is a player with instincts and intelligence, the intangibles to become a very good player. How many NFL top players have never look good in tests? How many LBs have to run a 40yds dash in the Pros?

DOH LOL Meant LB :bandwagon Yeah instincts, tough etc...and very slow and unathletic. I am not talking about combine here, I am talking about live practices with NFL coaches and he didn't look good.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't have a problem with him starting. It was a draft pick that I really liked last year. I just think it's a risk to throw him in the starting lineup considering that they plan on upgrading a good portion of the D.

just as it was a risk starting winfield, or clements as rookies. To me its less of a risk.

if they upgrade the D then putting Yo back there is LESS of a risk. Now if they do nothing it will be moot point as teams will be running up and down the field on us.

Clements is a waste of money if they sign him. We have MUCH Greater needs IF we are sticking to the cover 2.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
So we agree and yet continue to argue in some way. And If I remember correctly Clements started as a rookie during the 3-13 season when they had less to lose as opposed to this year when playoffs are expected.

Dr. Lecter
02-06-2007, 02:50 PM
If Briggs is off the market, there are not many top notch FA's for the Bills to pursue. Thomas will be tagged.

Who would be left? Steinbach?

Other than that, I see nobody worth big $$$.

Ickybaluky
02-06-2007, 02:53 PM
If Lance Briggs and Adalius Thomas are both franchised or re-signed, which is a distinct possibility, then IMO London Fletcher is the top LB available.

OpIv37
02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Fletch said he wants out, plus Marv is building for youth, so I really don't see re-signing him as an option.

Nate is a waste of money. The guy is slightly above average. We can get someone else for a lot less money with only a slight drop in level of performance.

Do people here even watch the games? Nate had a few good games after the bye, but other than that he's sucked for 2 years.

Forward_Lateral
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
If Briggs is franchised, maybe Marv can still work out a trade with Chicago. I'd give up this year's first round pick for Lance Briggs, wouldn't you?

HAMMER
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Fletch said he wants out, plus Marv is building for youth, so I really don't see re-signing him as an option.

Nate is a waste of money. The guy is slightly above average. We can get someone else for a lot less money with only a slight drop in level of performance.

Do people here even watch the games? Nate had a few good games after the bye, but other than that he's sucked for 2 years.

There are countless GM's and Coaches that will disagree with you. But what do they know. I don't dispute Clements has had some tough stretches but he is a top flight corner.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Look Clements is a very good corner, but no where as good as his salary demands. Do I know exact numbers? No. But the man feels he is the best and wants to get paid like it, hense we don't even bother with him.

As for as LB's We do what we can. I still say that we can go DL in round one and get a STARTING ILB in the 2nd round and Draftboy can elaborate. If we can get a mid tier CB to compete with Yo, upgrade the DL and draft an ILB then we will be improved.

spend what needs to be spent to upgrade the offense and we still have tons of cap room to do extentions etc and not get us in trouble.

I still have NO issue starting yobotay.

Dr. Lecter
02-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I have never senn Youboty play ICE and neither have you. Let's exercise some caution.

Assuming Briggs and Thomas are off the market, who should the Bills spend big money on?

Forward_Lateral
02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Learn how to spell the guys freakin name for Christ's sake.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Learn how to spell the guys freakin name for Christ's sake.

TTTTHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNKKKKKKK YYYYOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!!!

mysticsoto
02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
The Bears may franchise Briggs...or they may choose to do other things that may need money. From si.com

The Bears and guard Ruben Brown would like to see the nine-time Pro Bowler back in a Bears uniform in '07. But with the aging of the offensive line, the Bears are expected to make a run at Cincinnati guard Eric Steinbach once free agency opens.
-- Chicago Tribune

patmoran2006
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM

TELL ME That was a joke.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I have never senn Youboty play ICE and neither have you. Let's exercise some caution.

Assuming Briggs and Thomas are off the market, who should the Bills spend big money on?

A right guard and that may be it. Again I don't know who gets franchised or not.

As for as Youboty is concerned, why caution? Again Winfield and clements started as rookies. Yo has a full season of learning the system under his belt. I feel less worried about him than I did them.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
The Bears may franchise Briggs...or they may choose to do other things that may need money. From si.com

The Bears and guard Ruben Brown would like to see the nine-time Pro Bowler back in a Bears uniform in '07. But with the aging of the offensive line, the Bears are expected to make a run at Cincinnati guard Eric Steinbach once free agency opens.
-- Chicago Tribune

And we have more cap room than Chicago.

patmoran2006
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM

1. Right Guard
2. Defense End
3. OLB

Whom do the Bills spend moderate money on?
1. Corner
2. WR (2nd)

Draft, FA or both.. They better get better at these spots if they want to contend.

As for Youboty, I think he will turn into a good corner in time, but to START Youboty AND McGee could be absolutely DISASTROUS short-term unless you have one hell of a front seven.

SO IF that is the plan; then they better improve that front seven in 2-3 spots.

Ickybaluky
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Kawika Mitchell is an option, I suppose, although he would be considerably cheaper than Briggs. He played MLB in the Tampa-2 last year in KC under Herm Edwards, and has had back-to-back 100 tackle seasons. He is much bigger than Fletcher, at 6-1, 250#, and is a developing player. He has improved steadily since coming out of South Florida, and is only 28 years old. He is considered stronger against the run than the pass and can get out of position at times, but has improved steadily with playing time.

Still, he is an option and could be had for much less than Briggs. He is a high-character guy, becoming very religious after escaping a serious car accident with minimal injuries (he flew through a windshield and slid 40 feet to a stop, but only suffered a shoulder separation). A rising player, who can be viewed in the Jeremiah Trotter mold.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
But Clements starting during a 3-13 season is a different situation than AY starting this season!

patmoran2006
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
And by the way...

Get used to this.

A top free agent that gets talked up on here initially, we talk about him being an impact player, and then rumors start that he's going somewhere else; and followed by homers suddenly saying that he's overated, we dont need him, he's not worth the money, Let the Redskins sign him... blahblahblah.

Like it or not, you KNOW thats going to happen on here.

madness
02-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Let Nate go, even if we have to sign somebody out of FA for a year or two so AY can develop. LB and DT are a much higher priority then our secondary right now.

patmoran2006
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I say let Nate go as well, live with Youboty and a lesser FA to compete: and make our front seven alot nastier than it is now.

kernowboy
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
If Briggs is franchised, maybe Marv can still work out a trade with Chicago. I'd give up this year's first round pick for Lance Briggs, wouldn't you?

absolutely no way. He has a rep by playing by Urlacher so unless we plan to bring Brian as well....................

Briggs is overrated because of the poor FA class

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Kawika Mitchell is an option, I suppose, although he would be considerably cheaper than Briggs. He played MLB in the Tampa-2 last year in KC under Herm Edwards, and has had back-to-back 100 tackle seasons. He is much bigger than Fletcher, at 6-1, 250#, and is a developing player. He has improved steadily since coming out of South Florida, and is only 28 years old. He is considered stronger against the run than the pass and can get out of position at times, but has improved steadily with playing time.

Still, he is an option and could be had for much less than Briggs. He is a high-character guy, becoming very religious after escaping a serious car accident with minimal injuries (he flew through a windshield and slid 40 feet to a stop, but only suffered a shoulder separation). A rising player, who can be viewed in the Jeremiah Trotter mold.

see there ya go! There are guys out there that marv and co know more about and a cat like this just might 'fill the bill' so to speak :-)

HHURRICANE
02-06-2007, 05:28 PM

-- Chicago Tribune

That's so funny because I heard today that if for some reason that Chicago didn't franchise him that Cinncinati was going to take a run at him in light of all of the off the field issues.

You can be the agent and negotiate the trade.

Dr. Lecter
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
A right guard and that may be it. Again I don't know who gets franchised or not.

As for as Youboty is concerned, why caution? Again Winfield and clements started as rookies. Yo has a full season of learning the system under his belt. I feel less worried about him than I did them.

Caution because he was much more raw than those two and not as athletically gifted.

In addition, just because it workd out before does not mean it will again.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Caution because he was much more raw than those two and not as athletically gifted.

In addition, just because it workd out before does not mean it will again.

you have got to be kidding me. Not as athleticly gifted? How do you figure? He is easilly as good as clements and much better than short assed winfield. Dear God man!

And please tell me how you figure it won't work out again?

I am starting to think you are arguing just to argue period.

Dr. Lecter
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Only with you........:D

Let me re-phrase that: His football skills. Winfield tackles better than just about any CB I have ever seen. Clements has size and great speed.

I am not saying it won't work out. But Terrance McGee as a #1 CB is scary.

ricogarion
02-06-2007, 09:17 PM
thats a shame briggs would have been a great possibility,definite Bills type player.