PDA

View Full Version : Spikes trade still alive as per CBS...

HHURRICANE
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
The Buffalo News reports that the Bills will pay roughly $37 million in salary and bonuses in 2007 to the players they have signed, which means that linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely to be traded. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that's space they want to use for several less expensive players.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

TacklingDummy
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Trade him for a 3rd rounder. Let him end his career trying to get a ring on a contender.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
The Buffalo News reports that the Bills will pay roughly $37 million in salary and bonuses in 2007 to the players they have signed, which means that linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely to be traded. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that's space they want to use for several less expensive players.

I don't know how credible that story is- it's based on a judgement about our cap situation and has nothing to do with the team actually shopping Spikes or someone showing interest.

Given our total lack of LB's and his injury problems, at this point he's more valuable to us than anything we'd get in a trade.

bigbub2352
03-12-2007, 04:12 PM

I think the possibility of TKO bein traded is a positive for this team, Spikes does not want to be here, and he is proally a locker room problem now that we traded McGahee and let Clements and Fletch go to FA, he got nasty with the media last year about the whole rebuilding thing, so for an average LB to make that much trade him and get some potential in here, let Ellison and draft picks gets his spot, plus u can still sign a FA or two for depth if needed, get a 4th or 5th for him, or use him to trade up to get Peterson, or in another round use him to trade up to get the player the Bills brass wants

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 04:13 PM
If we trade him at this point after not cutting him before FA its just further proof it's about nothing else other than money to one Mr Ralph Wilson.

This is starting to get comical now following a promising first day of free agency.. You can believe Ralph is gonna get that money back one way or the other.

The Answer
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Even though The Answer feels this is the right thing to do since Spikes is finished - it's still more proof that the front office is burning the house down and building it from scratch.

~The Answer

bigbub2352
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
If we trade him at this point after not cutting him before FA its just further proof it's about nothing else other than money to one Mr Ralph Wilson.

This is starting to get comical now following a promising first day of free agency.. You can believe Ralph is gonna get that money back one way or the other.

Why tie up that kinda of money on a player who is one snap away from the sidelines, and had a subpar year, and is aging at a postion were u need to be an athlete, not a crutch, i luv TKO like the next guy, but the money he comands and how he will be on the feild leaves the Bills no choice but to look in other directions, younger is gonna be better with this team

Also everyone is forgeting these arent Marv's players they are gonna get rid of and are gettin rid of, TD signed TKO, and so far after 2 good it has been followed by 2 bad years for TKO

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Are you kidding? If we trade him, we get something in return. If we cut him, then we get nothing but cap space. So its cutting him that would be a purely financial move. I think you've got it backwards.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Getting rid of him in any way period is a financial move and nothing more at this point.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh good, it only takes CBS a day in a half to misinterupt the Sunday's buffalo news :up:

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Getting rid of him in any way period is a financial move and nothing more at this point.

in YOUR opinion.

gil
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I tend to differ - I think it would be financial and performance related - yes, it seemed Spikes came on a bit towards the end of the year, but he's still a LB on the wrong side of 30 coming off an injury not too many guys come all the way back from.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do for the team - I lean towards it not being the case, but you can't say it would be *purely* financial.

HHURRICANE
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I was totally wrong on the McGahee trade but I have to believe there can't be alot of interest in Spikes after this kind of injury. I believe the Bills are pushing to renegotiate his deal and that's why they threw him out for a trade. Once he see's that a restructured deal here is still better than a one year guranteed deal elsewhere he'll hopefully reconsider.

The Answer
03-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I was totally wrong on the McGahee trade but I have to believe there can't be alot of interest in Spikes after this kind of injury. I believe the Bills are pushing to renegotiate his deal and that's why they threw him out for a trade. Once he see's that a restructured deal here is still better than a one year guranteed deal elsewhere he'll hopefully reconsider.

The Answer thinks this is most feasible scenario - let's face it Spikes was a great player, but when he went down in that Atlanta game you could tell by the look on his face that his career flashed before his eyes - and he will never be the dominant force he once was, age is also a factor here.

Spikes is an intense competitor and at this point nothing more than backup/rotational LB - if he's willing to take a major pay cut than The Answer says keep him, if not goodbye #51 - thanks for the effort and great play!

~The Answer

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
The Answer thinks this is most feasible scenario - let's face it Spikes was a great player, but when he went down in that Atlanta game you could tell by the look on his face that his career flashed before his eyes - and he will never be the dominant force he once was, age is also a factor here.

Spikes is an intense competitor and at this point nothing more than backup/rotational LB - if he's willing to take a major pay cut than The Answer says keep him, if not goodbye #51 - thanks for the effort and great play!

~The Answer
Sounds like the Ice assessment of McCargo on draft day. Do you coach Pop Warner football by any chance?

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
in YOUR opinion.
What is wrong with you? This is a MESSAGE BOARD FORUM..

Of course it's my opinion.. When is the last time you've had one of those football-related besides the standard "In marv we trust line"?

The Answer
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Sounds like the Ice assessment of McCargo on draft day. Do you coach Pop Warner football by any chance?

Jury is still out on McCargo - at this point he's a bust in The Answer's eyes and should never have been drafted in the 1st round (nor should so much have been given up to get him).

As for coaching - it's something The Answer is interested in down the line when he finds a compatible mate and procreates - until then The Answer will continue to scout part time to satiate his football appetite in the offseason.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM
What is wrong with you? This is a MESSAGE BOARD FORUM..

Of course it's my opinion.. When is the last time you've had one of those football-related besides the standard "In marv we trust line"?

here's a football related comment.

Jauron said it never matters when a player wants to be traded. They will trade ONLY if it makes the team better . So if in your opinion trading Spikes is only because of cap, then that's YOUR opinion. The coach says otherwise. You wouldn't happen to have closer ties with the bills than the Dick would you?

I'd rather post I trust in the Marv than your usuall blabber about how you want this and that. Sorry you brat, not every GM does things the Donahoe way which you obviously love.

Thought so!!!

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Jauron said it never matters when a player wants to be traded. They will trade ONLY if it makes the team better . So if in your opinion trading Spikes is only because of cap, then that's YOUR opinion. The coach says otherwise. You wouldn't happen to have closer ties with the bills than the Dick would you?

I'd rather post I trust in the Marv than your usuall blabber about how you want this and that. Sorry you brat, not every GM does things the Donahoe way which you obviously love.

Thought so!!!

This doesnt even make sense. Where did Spikes say he wants to be traded? And how does improving the cap not make this team better? Im failing to see your logic, DJ and PM are on the exact same page on this. I dont know where this is coming from.

guy
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
your telling me you can judge mccargo at this point???? 2 words on spikes ...sam cowart

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Thought so!!!
Who the hell ever said I was a Donahoe fan? I hated Donahoe, and I know him a lot better than anybody on this board I can GUARENTEE you that.

Having said that, The "Donahoe" way did lead to the Bills having the #2 defense in the NFL two times in three years. The Bills failed under him because of his ego and him thinking he could put band aids on the OL and it would work.

But getting back to his defense. The "Donahoe" way was a lot better than this swiss cheese "Cover Two" defense we employ.

and if clements wasn't as valuable in this "cover two"-- then why was he NOT traded last year when we could've gotten something for him? Why did Marv pay 7.2 million to a cornerback for a cover two defense? Did marv not know we were going to run a cover two defense? Marv dropped the ball straight up..

And as for your man-obsession with Marv its getting ridiculous.

He's a great human being, he's a brilliant mind,and he was a very good coach on one of the most TALENTED teams in the history of this league.

That doesnt mean **** as a GM. I will "trust" marv when I have a reason too. So we won 2 more games than we did the year before.. Big Deal! IS the state of this franchise THAT bad that we need to celebrate 7 wins? BTW, how many of those wins were against playoff teams? 1.. How many were against division winners? 0.. We played a soft schedule last year.

Meanwhile, in Marv's first year as GM he fumbled all over the place.. He got NOTHING for Nate, instead overpaying for one year in a "cover two" before agreeing to let him walk for nothing. We only got a fifth rounder for MOulds because marv gave into that *****.. His FA signings were almost entirely useless and only one player (fowler) had contributions worthy of the contract.

And while the draft was pretty good, at the end of the day for all the preaching Marv did about both sides of the line, he passed on Ngata at 8, and Mangold at 26;both of whom already look like pro bowlers.

So while I personally admire Marv Levy as much as anyone here, as a GM he hasn't done jack **** other than trade and cut some of our 'name" players. his first FA class blew and while his initial rookie class may have potential, potential dont mean **** because that's pretty much what they've done to this point.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Thought so!!!

So explain to me how today...March 13th our backfield is better than it was on March 6th? We only trade players to make the team better?

We traded away our best RB and have nothing near his caliber to replace him.

And believe you-me I've never been a supporter of Willis McGahee, ever since the day he was drafted.

But please explain to me how we're better as a team without our starting halfback. AND if A-train was that good, he woulda won the job in camp last year and then (gasp) kept the job when Willis returned from injury.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Who the hell ever said I was a Donahoe fan? I hated Donahoe, and I know him a lot better than anybody on this board I can GUARENTEE you that.

Having said that, The "Donahoe" way did lead to the Bills having the #2 defense in the NFL two times in three years. The Bills failed under him because of his ego and him thinking he could put band aids on the OL and it would work.

But getting back to his defense. The "Donahoe" way was a lot better than this swiss cheese "Cover Two" defense we employ.

and if clements wasn't as valuable in this "cover two"-- then why was he NOT traded last year when we could've gotten something for him? Why did Marv pay 7.2 million to a cornerback for a cover two defense? Did marv not know we were going to run a cover two defense? Marv dropped the ball straight up..

And as for your man-obsession with Marv its getting ridiculous.

He's a great human being, he's a brilliant mind,and he was a very good coach on one of the most TALENTED teams in the history of this league.

That doesnt mean **** as a GM. I will "trust" marv when I have a reason too. So we won 2 more games than we did the year before.. Big Deal! IS the state of this franchise THAT bad that we need to celebrate 7 wins? BTW, how many of those wins were against playoff teams? 1.. How many were against division winners? 0.. We played a soft schedule last year.

Meanwhile, in Marv's first year as GM he fumbled all over the place.. He got NOTHING for Nate, instead overpaying for one year in a "cover two" before agreeing to let him walk for nothing. We only got a fifth rounder for MOulds because marv gave into that *****.. His FA signings were almost entirely useless and only one player (fowler) had contributions worthy of the contract.

And while the draft was pretty good, at the end of the day for all the preaching Marv did about both sides of the line, he passed on Ngata at 8, and Mangold at 26;both of whom already look like pro bowlers.

So while I personally admire Marv Levy as much as anyone here, as a GM he hasn't done jack **** other than trade and cut some of our 'name" players. his first FA class blew and while his initial rookie class may have potential, potential dont mean **** because that's pretty much what they've done to this point.

Right. You hate TD but you want us to go grab big named FA's. I get it,

Marv hasn't done anything. I agree but I don't go any further and call him clueless only to find out you stuck your foot in your mouth after he fixed the OL. I never said Marv is a great gm but in his first year, he's led the team the right direction better than the guy who you seem to like the way he goes via FA's, yeah TD.

Ngata looks like a probowler? My, my. I wonder why the SB champs didn't go for him either. They must be stupid as well.

The problem nor the answer at this point in not MArv. The problem is you want things done right away , your way. Just because I don't say Marv is an idiot GM (which you always imply) , I'm a rah,rah,guy? Where did I say that marv is the next Poilan? Thought so.

You can criticize Marv all you want but he's had a better year than Poilan or BB (pats) had in their first year. That doesn't mean he's as good as they are but he isn't as stupid as you think he is. DUH!! Let's not forget the mess he inherited

So before you call someone clueless look in the mirror Pat. He blew his rookie calss and yet you love it? Make up your mind ICE.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Right. You hate TD but you want us to go grab big named FA's. I get it,

Marv hasn't done anything. I agree but I don't go any further and call him clueless only to find out you stuck your foot in your mouth after he fixed the OL. I never said Marv is a great gm but in his first year, he's led the team the right direction better than the guy who you seem to like the way he goes via FA's, yeah TD.

Ngata looks like a probowler? My, my. I wonder why the SB champs didn't go for him either. They must be stupid as well.

The problem nor the answer at this point in not MArv. The problem is you want things done right away , your way. Just because I don't say Marv is an idiot GM (which you always imply) , I'm a rah,rah,guy? Where did I say that marv is the next Poilan? Thought so.

You can criticize Marv all you want but he's had a better year than Poilan or BB (pats) had in their first year. That doesn't mean he's as good as they are but he isn't as stupid as you think he is. DUH!! Let's not forget the mess he inherited

So before you call someone clueless look in the mirror Pat. He blew his rookie calss and yet you love it? Make up your mind ICE.

Whoa he didnt fix **** yet as far as Im concerned.. Dockery was a great and unexpected signing, I give it up to him for that.. But fixed? ****ing Langston Walker gave up the second most sacks in the NFL last year, he's a fat slob with a TON to prove for 5 million per year.. and Jason Whittle.. He's happy he got a 40k signing bonus right now and has a job.

the left side is "fixed" the right side leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.. Walker and Whittle are potentially very "Donahoeish" signings to me based on what I've seen of them and read.....Im more than willing to give Walker a shot, but to proclaim the line fixed because a guy who gave up 5x (literally) more sacks than Pennington is slated to take over at RT is silly.

As as for Ngata getting passed on by the SB champs.. You do know he went like 12th overall or something like that, right? REgardless, the SB champs didnt have Larry Tripplett and Tim Anderson as the starters on draft day.

just got back to stalking my posts with "ice" and personal comments, because now that I"ve seen a couple of these you may be better off not talking about football at all.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
So explain to me how today...March 13th our backfield is better than it was on March 6th? We only trade players to make the team better?

We traded away our best RB and have nothing near his caliber to replace him.

And believe you-me I've never been a supporter of Willis McGahee, ever since the day he was drafted.

But please explain to me how we're better as a team without our starting halfback. AND if A-train was that good, he woulda won the job in camp last year and then (gasp) kept the job when Willis returned from injury.

who says Willis was our best rb? You? The media? Look at the A-train games , he either played as well if not better than Willis and this is with less reps with the starting OL.

Trading a player who does not even read his playbook makes the team better IMO. I too was a Willis supporter until he showed his true colors.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Whoa he didnt fix **** yet as far as Im concerned.. Dockery was a great and unexpected signing, I give it up to him for that.. But fixed? ****ing Langston Walker gave up the second most sacks in the NFL last year, he's a fat slob with a TON to prove for 5 million per year.. and Jason Whittle.. He's happy he got a 40k signing bonus right now and has a job.

the left side is "fixed" the right side leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.. Walker and Whittle are potentially very "Donahoeish" signings to me based on what I've seen of them and read.....Im more than willing to give Walker a shot, but to proclaim the line fixed because a guy who gave up 5x (literally) more sacks than Pennington is slated to take over at RT is silly.

As as for Ngata getting passed on by the SB champs.. You do know he went like 12th overall or something like that, right? REgardless, the SB champs didnt have Larry Tripplett and Tim Anderson as the starters on draft day.

just got back to stalking my posts with "ice" and personal comments, because now that I"ve seen a couple of these you may be better off not talking about football at all.

Pat, waht makes you such a great evaluator of players compared to Jauron? Didn't you like the Andre Davis signing that produced squat in the passing game? Did you even follow the raiders/Walker closely than Jauron or are you basing your opinion on what media says. I forget, you're a writer therefore media is correct and Jauron does not know anything. Right!

Jauron is no BB. But he's better than any coaches we've had since TD took over. Until he falls flat on his face with the bills, I'll have to trust his choices until he shows me otherwise.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
who says Willis was our best rb? You? The media? Look at the A-train games , he either played as well if not better than Willis and this is with less reps with the starting OL.

Trading a player who does not even read his playbook makes the team better IMO. I too was a Willis supporter until he showed his true colors.

Who said Willis was the better player? How about the ENTIRE organization for the 2006 NFL Season, considering Willis, not A-Train was the starter.

And if you honestly believe that the team would keep trotting a guy out there who didn't know the playbook you're a fool.

Anyone around here remembers what happened when the last notable guy didn't know the playbook he got canned. BJ Hobert.

If the organization thought A-train was better, he would have started.
If the organization thought A-train knew the playbook better, he would have started.
AND if the organization thought Willis didn't know the playbook, he wouldn't have played.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Who said Willis was the better player? How about the ENTIRE organization for the 2006 NFL Season, considering Willis, not A-Train was the starter.

And if you honestly believe that the team would keep trotting a guy out there who didn't know the playbook you're a fool.

Anyone around here remembers what happened when the last notable guy didn't know the playbook he got canned. BJ Hobert.

If the organization thought A-train was better, he would have started.
If the organization thought A-train knew the playbook better, he would have started.
AND if the organization thought Willis didn't know the playbook, he wouldn't have played.

Willis was a penciled starter when they inherited the team . Not because of what he did this year. It's pretty obvious NOW that Dick and have seen him first hand didn't even think enough of him to keep him, did they?

I'm almost sure if Willis was still with the team, he'd have to compete for his job. But we'll never know now because Marv and Dick traded his a$$ for what 2 thirds? If he was an elite rb, we could've gotten more but it isn't the case it is?

3.7 vs 3.8 . Willis is .1 better with him getting bulk of the snaps at practice? Eh , I think A-Train could've easily gotten more than 990 yds.

Jersey1031
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM

For players or draft picks?

Mr. Pink
03-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Willis was a penciled starter when they inherited the team . Not because of what he did this year. It's pretty obvious NOW that Dick and have seen him first hand didn't even think enough of him to keep him, did they?

I'm almost sure if Willis was still with the team, he'd have to compete for his job. But we'll never know now because Marv and Dick traded his a$$ for what 2 thirds? If he was an elite rb, we could've gotten more but it isn't the case it is?

No one ever called him elite, nor great - well let me rephrase that. Last year a lot of people on these boards thought he was great. I'm sure the posts could be dragged up, but that's a lot of work and unneeded effort.

Anyways, I digress, you stated that Dick said only trades that would help this team would be made. How has trading McGahee our best back helped this team? He was traded because of public perception, public perception is HUGE when you only sell out half your games, and the fact that we knew there was no way in hell he would re-sign here.

He wasn't traded to make the team better. If Dick knew the team was better while A-train was in, Willis wouldn't have strolled back into his starting role after injury.

Michael82
03-12-2007, 05:59 PM
For players or draft picks?
neither, they are just reporting something that the Buffalo News talked about might still be on the table in the Sunday paper. It was all guessing.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
No one ever called him elite, nor great - well let me rephrase that. Last year a lot of people on these boards thought he was great. I'm sure the posts could be dragged up, but that's a lot of work and unneeded effort.

Anyways, I digress, you stated that Dick said only trades that would help this team would be made. How has trading McGahee our best back helped this team? He was traded because of public perception, public perception is HUGE when you only sell out half your games, and the fact that we knew there was no way in hell he would re-sign here.

He wasn't traded to make the team better. If Dick knew the team was better while A-train was in, Willis wouldn't have strolled back into his starting role after injury.

then if he's not great nor eilite , neither is the A-Train for less $$. If getting rid of someone who doesn't want to be here who isn't much of a factor on the field anyways , is always a good thing for the team.

Getting rid of Willis is better for the team in the long run. Anytime you have a player who hasn't performed yet wants an extension for doing nothing is a waste of time. Get rid of the tumor who wasn't gonna be our future is better. Now we can look for the future and move towards it.

I have no doubt someone will run 990 yards for us next year .

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 07:16 PM

3.7 vs 3.8 . Willis is .1 better with him getting bulk of the snaps at practice? Eh , I think A-Train could've easily gotten more than 990 yds.

I'll give you about $40 million reasons why Willis McGahee was traded... The fact that he's not better than A-Train aint one of them.

and for the record, I havent said a single bad thing about Anthony Thomas..And I also have no problem with McGahee getting dealt in fact I think it was a reasonable trade; at least Marv learned from his mistake from last year about holding on to a player he knew was in his final year with the team.

But Anthony thomas is a backup running back, who is good at spot duty and if needed could play a full game. But your fooling yourself if you think our running game is better with Thomas than it was with Mcgahee. now if the Bills draft Lynch or say Bush then it makes for a good combo.. But if they sign that ****** Chris Brown, then it's another STUPID move and that's not a RB b committe.. thats retread by committee.

Talk0fNewYork
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Even though The Answer feels this is the right thing to do since Spikes is finished - it's still more proof that the front office is burning the house down and building it from scratch.

~The Answer
I just hate you!

jpdex12
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I'll give you about $40 million reasons why Willis McGahee was traded... The fact that he's not better than A-Train aint one of them.

and for the record, I havent said a single bad thing about Anthony Thomas..And I also have no problem with McGahee getting dealt in fact I think it was a reasonable trade; at least Marv learned from his mistake from last year about holding on to a player he knew was in his final year with the team.

But Anthony thomas is a backup running back, who is good at spot duty and if needed could play a full game. But your fooling yourself if you think our running game is better with Thomas than it was with Mcgahee. now if the Bills draft Lynch or say Bush then it makes for a good combo.. But if they sign that ****** Chris Brown, then it's another STUPID move and that's not a RB b committe.. thats retread by committee.

Hey girls, go get a drink of cold water. This is going no where! Start a new thread!

clumping platelets
03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Jury is still out on McCargo - at this point he's a bust in The Answer's eyes and should never have been drafted in the 1st round (nor should so much have been given up to get him).

You would have given up on Moulds after his rookie year :shakeno:

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
You would have given up on Moulds after his rookie year :shakeno:

Alot of people wanted to lol, but your right draft picks need time pan out.

njsue
03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Ah Marv Please keep Takeo!

raphael120
03-12-2007, 11:21 PM
God, I hope the Bills start winning because I'm going to need to start taking some damn prozac with these threads.

Philagape
03-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Not to belabor the obvious, but unless we have a game next week, the state of the backfield or any other position in March is kind of irrelevant.

No, it's extremely irrelevant.

We don't have a game next week, do we? Just asking. OK.

Tatonka
03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
.. But if they sign that ****** Chris Brown,.

wow.. i was going to make a personal comment about you after reading that, but you do a good enough job making an ass out of yourself.

"hey pot.. this is the kettle.. i am calling you black."