PDA

View Full Version : "Reaching" in the draft

OpIv37
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I saw an ex- NFL GM on ESPN last night (wish I could remember who) and he said that one of the mistakes he made was drafting for need instead of draft value- if you pick a #15 player at 9 to fill a need, you still get a 15 player (and you have to pay him #9 salary).

Translation: Do NOT draft Poz or Leon Hall without a trade down.

BILLSROCK1212
04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I saw an ex- NFL GM on ESPN last night (wish I could remember who) and he said that one of the mistakes he made was drafting for need instead of draft value- if you pick a #15 player at 9 to fill a need, you still get a 15 player (and you have to pay him #9 salary).

Translation: Do NOT draft Poz or Leon Hall without a trade down.Floyd Reese

gr8slayer
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
EVERYONE is a reach on the first day of the draft.

OpIv37
04-13-2007, 03:50 PM
EVERYONE is a reach on the first day of the draft.

disagree. Everyone is a gamble on the first day of the draft. That's different than a reach.

gr8slayer
04-13-2007, 03:51 PM
disagree. Everyone is a gamble on the first day of the draft. That's different than a reach.
Nothing is a guarantee, gamble, reach, tomato, tommmattto.

X-Era
04-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Anyone who think Puz is worthy of the 12 pick is crazy in my opinion. Hes not even the best OLB, much less the best LB.

I think hes a solid 2nd rounder who could slip to the 3rd as several have predicted.

Hes a player, hed be great here, Id love to have him, but not at 12.

X-Era
04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
No, his point is on the money.

"Reach" implies a player drafted higher than there pre-draft ranking. "Gamble" implies its no sure thing that the player will live up to their pre-draft ranking.

However, the rankings are the rankings, and when carried out responsibly by professionals for NFL teams, they are completely valid.

I dont believe the Bills or many if any teams feel that Puz is worthy of the 12 pick, notice I didnt say the 12th best player, thats also different. But I dont think any team feels hes worthy of being drafted by any of the first 12 teams, yes, I think that includes us.

Thats my honest opinion.

patmoran2006
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
POS is a good, servicable player who I think will be a starter in the NFL and wont hurt the team he plays for.

That's not good enough..Not for Buffalo and especially not when you have a pick in the top dozen.

Whether its LB or somewhere else; this team needs a game-changer player. We lack that and until we get more than just Losman and Evans we are far from a playoff team.

OpIv37
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM

No, his point is on the money.

"Reach" implies a player drafted higher than there pre-draft ranking. "Gamble" implies its no sure thing that the player will live up to their pre-draft ranking.

what he said.

X-Era
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
POS is a good, servicable player who I think will be a starter in the NFL and wont hurt the team he plays for.

That's not good enough..Not for Buffalo and especially not when you have a pick in the top dozen.

Whether its LB or somewhere else; this team needs a game-changer player. We lack that and until we get more than just Losman and Evans we are far from a playoff team.

Yes sir, THANK YOU!

I can finally agree with your post. I say that since you didnt insist it has to be Willis.

Willis or anyone else, I agree it should be a game changer type playmaker.

gr8slayer
04-13-2007, 04:05 PM
When you are investing millions upon millions of dollars in something you can call it whatever you want. Especially when its something that has no experience in what your paying them to do.

Devin
04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Anyone who think Puz is worthy of the 12 pick is crazy in my opinion. Hes not even the best OLB, much less the best LB.

I think hes a solid 2nd rounder who could slip to the 3rd as several have predicted.

Hes a player, hed be great here, Id love to have him, but not at 12.

Which is why you post here.

X-Era
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
When you are investing millions upon millions of dollars in something you can call it whatever you want. Especially when its something that has no experience in what your paying them to do.

Dont disagree there. I hope you didnt just convince yourself that forming a draft board and sticking to it is a waste though, it isnt. Because when your paying thousands and thousands (who knows maybe millions) to have scouts, go and scout, why not actually USE them?

Its no exact science, but that doesnt mean you shoot arrows wearing a blindfold either. They do their due dilligence, get as much information possible, form a general consensus on who we should draft and where. That said, I dont think its likley at all that the name Posluzny goes to the commish at 12.

gr8slayer
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Dont disagree there. I hope you didnt just convince yourself that forming a draft board and sticking to it is a waste though, it isnt. Because when your paying thousands and thousands (who knows maybe millions) to have scouts, go and scout, why not actually USE them?

Its no exact science, but that doesnt mean you shoot arrows wearing a blindfold either. They do their due dilligence, get as much information possible, form a general consensus on who we should draft and where. That said, I dont think its likley at all that the name Posluzny goes to the commish at 12.
Hey to be fair I didn't think there was any way in hell Whitner or McCargo would be Bills in the first round.

Either way I trust Marv's pick.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
The only time a player is a reach in a draft is until the season starts.

patmoran2006
04-13-2007, 04:56 PM
The only time a player is a reach in a draft is until the season starts. Ya and from there they become a "bust".

I understand I am cynical... But in reality there are only TWO guys that could possibly even be CONSIDERATIONS that I think our horrible picks.
1- Leon Hall
2- Pos

Anybody else.. Beason, WR, Olsen-- I won't be entirely unhappy with.

I want Willis most realistically, AP in my dreamworld and I think people are wrong about Lynch.. But almost anyone except the two mentioned above I can live with.

Statman
04-13-2007, 07:33 PM

I don't think that we really have much to worry about in terms of the two things, need and value, not overlapping this year.

Marvelous
04-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Why would you be "OK" w/ a TE in the 1st round Pat? I know JP really needs a dumpoff target like Rob Johnson had w/ Larry Centers but that's not the way to improve the team. I'd rather get a FB who can be that super dumpoff target & the beauty is we can get him later or maybe not at all but atleast our skill positions are addressed.....

patmoran2006
04-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Why would you be "OK" w/ a TE in the 1st round Pat? I know JP really needs a dumpoff target like Rob Johnson had w/ Larry Centers but that's not the way to improve the team. I'd rather get a FB who can be that super dumpoff target & the beauty is we can get him later or maybe not at all but atleast our skill positions are addressed.....
TE is far from my first priority in the draft; but if Willis and AP are gone at 12: I'd rather have Olsen before I'd take Pos or Leon Hall with the pick.

The bottom line offensively is defenses this year are going to literally CENTER their game plan on containing Lee Evans. At this time, he is truly our only legitimate weapon on offense. A guy like Olsen is more than just a dumpoff guy. This guy can get down the field and he can make plays. He would be someone, in some ways like Shockey, that the defense MUST account for.

IMO- Lee Evans is one of the 5 best WR in the NFL right now. If he had a Reggie Wayne or Fitzgerald next to him like Harrison/Boquin does; I honestly think he could get 1600-1800 yards receiving. He's just impossible to cover one on one; and with more threats around him he'd get downfield once or twice per game. Olsen has a lot of playmaking skills, and we'd still have a good blocking TE in royal. The downside of Olsen is he has that human dickhead of an agent (Rosenhaus).

So for that reason mainly; In certain situations I'd take an Olsen or maybe a Robert Meacham/Dwayne Bowe first. For the record; pure speculation; I HIGHLY doubt Marv would take a TE with his first pick.

casdhf
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Hall wouldn't be a reach, I just don't really think he's our guy.

patmoran2006
04-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I would take Reevis before I'd take Hall.

B-DON
04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
If willis and AP are gone we need to look at lynch or wr. Ginn Jr. would be a beast on this team with the proper coaching on little details like more precise route running. This is the most wide open draft i can think of in years. Gonna be a beautiful weekend.