PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this has to mean something...

Ickybaluky
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
From Football Outsiders on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3133313):

Buffalo's defense has the league's best defense on runs around left end (0.8 yards per carry) but the league's worst defense on runs around right end (8.7 yards per carry).

The King
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
ugh

justasportsfan
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Is that Kelsays-Kyle-Crowells side?

jpdex12
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
From Football Outsiders on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3133313):
Interesting find.

I went to the site to see if I could find the data to support this but I wonder how many runs to the right and how many runs to the left they calculated this data from.

If there have been 30 less runs to the left rather then the right and you take into consideration Shobel's recent tackles for loss against the Jags then it distorts the numbers. Albeit if you don't have tackles for loss then you don't get a better average.

Ickybaluky
11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
If there have been 30 less runs to the left rather then the right and you take into consideration Shobel's recent tackles for loss against the Jags then it distorts the numbers. Albeit if you don't have tackles for loss then you don't get a better average.

OK, but after 11 games I would suggest that such a wide difference is telling, even if the number of carries is off by a wide margin. I agree that alone it doesn't mean much, but for it to be that big a difference there has to be something going on.

Football Outsiders is very intense with analysis, and I wouldn't doubt their numbers.

OpIv37
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Are they talking about left or right relative to the offense or D?

since they said "right end" I'm assuming they mean the D, and Schobel usually plays RDE.

The problem is that Schobel has no inside move- someone pointed this out in my thread on that topic: He heads upfield and it leaves a huge gap between him and he tackle that's vulernable to a delayed draw. Behind him is Ellison, and McGee is usually lined up on the opposite side of the D, so the CB has been rotating between Youboty, K. Thomas, J. Butler and Greer.

Is anyone REALLY surprised that they can run to this side?

hydro
11-30-2007, 01:57 PM
That stat speaks volumes.

circlethewagons
11-30-2007, 02:40 PM
interesting stat... Though its tough to tell how much it means unless we know how many rushing attempts other teams have had agaisnt us to either side of the field

Mudflap1
11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
As stated previously, Kelsay has outplayed Schobel this year (not that that means Kelsay has been spectacular).

Jon

acehole
11-30-2007, 02:48 PM

It means JP sucks!

hydro
11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
It means JP sucks!

Good one! How about not turning this into a QB thread? Sound like an idea?

Yasgur's Farm
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I brought up a possibility before training camp that had Schoebel moving to OLB (due to his reported drop to 242 pounds) and Hargrove replacing him at DE. I was bashed relentlessly for that idea... But I still think that takes the best advantage of our talent on hand.

Oh that's right... This is Dick's team... And if your a square, you better start trimming the edges in order to fit yourself into that round hole.

YardRat
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Kelsay has been declared out for this Sunday, unfortunately...First game he's ever missed in his career according to the local sports.

clumping platelets
11-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Hmmm...........thought provoking

TigerJ
11-30-2007, 11:35 PM
It has to mean something. I hope Perry Fewel is on top of it and addresses the issue.

RedEyE
12-01-2007, 04:09 AM
McGahee, Maroney and Taylor all broke long runs down the right side. That right there skews the stats.

This is mainly because Crowell is jumping to the inside hole and finding himself piched out of position.

YardRat
12-01-2007, 08:17 AM
These runs are from the perspective of the OFFENSE, so a run listed as LEFT TACKLE is actually at the RIGHT defensive end.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php

I think people should get off of Schobel's ass a little bit.