PDA

View Full Version : The play that really bugged me last night...

Mudflap1
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
The play that bugged me last night was not when Rex Ryan called timeout on the 4th and 1, that happens. It also was not the defensive holding penalty on 4th down, unfortunately, that was the right call. The play that bugged me was on the 4th and 1 right after the Ravens timeout, the Patriots jumped (false start) and the Ravens still stuffed the Patriots. Yet, because it was a false start, the Patriots got moved back 5 yards, and converted on the next play.

I think the rule should be changed where the 5 yard penalty isn't whistled dead (or attempted to be whistled dead) immediately, and the 5 yards is optional, like illegal procedure, illegal formation, or illegal motion. That way the defensive team isn't penalized for stopping somebody, but having to replay the down and give the offense another chance to convert.

Bill Cody
12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
But they blew the whistle before the snap. Not sure how they can count a play where some guys stop because they heard a whistle.

Mudflap1
12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
What I'm saying is don't blow the whistle. Let the play go and throw the flag, then give the opposing team the option of accepting or declining. Last night, the whistle blew but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it, and the play was so quick (one yard FB handoff) both teams played it out and didn't adhere to the whistle. That play decided the game, because the RG jumped offsides and the Pats got another shot at it.

OpIv37
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
What I'm saying is don't blow the whistle. Let the play go and throw the flag, then give the opposing team the option of accepting or declining. Last night, the whistle blew but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it, and the play was so quick (one yard FB handoff) both teams played it out and didn't adhere to the whistle. That play decided the game, because the RG jumped offsides and the Pats got another shot at it.

exactly- treat the false start like they treat offsides on the D.

L.A. Playa
12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
They blew the whistle because the lineman hit another player just as when a defensive player hits an offensive player before teh snap they blow the whistle

trapezeus
12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
hmmm, i don't know. i hate the pats and all. but false start on the offense is a dead ball foul. it always has been in every level of football. That's a hard one to change. Plus its a false start. Starting before the play. Therefore, it would give the offense an advantage most of the time. The play would yield positive results, possible injuries, only to have the play declined and moved back 5 yards.

it stinks that 1 out of 100 times that it benefits the offense, but you get the 5 yards as the defensive team. And it especially sucks that the pats got the benefit. but that's just how 2007 is going these days.

Mudflap1
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
He hadn't hit the player by the time the ball was snapped, he just had moved a little bit into the neutral zone. He wasn't even that far offsides, just moved a hair early. Pissed me off.

OpIv37
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
They blew the whistle because the lineman hit another player just as when a defensive player hits an offensive player before teh snap they blow the whistle

they always blow the whistle on false starts, regardless of whether there is contact. Once there is a false start, the play never actually happens.

On offsides by the D, they only blow the whistle if there is contact or if the offending player is "unabated to the quarterback". Most of the time, that doesn't happen and it becomes a free play for the offense. There's no such thing for the D on a false start, and that's why the rule sucks.

Mr. Miyagi
12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
exactly- treat the false start like they treat offsides on the D.
Sounds good but the league wants to protect the offense. Can't just give the defense a free play to kill the quarterback.

OpIv37
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds good but the league wants to protect the offense. Can't just give the defense a free play to kill the quarterback.

but how would the OFFENSE starting early give the D a free play? If anything it should make it easier for the O to protect the QB.

DraftBoy
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
You see a guy jump you could immediately bring the house bc the result wont matter, kind of how if the QB sees a flag go up for offsides he automatically throws it deep.

justasportsfan
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
the tuck rule saved the Pats and last night the offsides rule saved them again.