PDA

View Full Version : Good Start for the New (Old) Regime

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
We signed a bruising fullback and a well-respected 20 year veteran as assistant O-line coach. A solid day at OBD.

DraftBoy
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
We signed a bruising fullback and a well-respected 20 year veteran as assistant O-line coach. A solid day at OBD.

Guy has been cut 3-4 times, and cant stick with any team but he's a bruising full back? Only Bills fans...

83evans
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Guy has been cut 3-4 times, and cant stick with any team but he's a bruising full back? Only Bills fans...

You realize that some of the teams he played for dont use FBs that often anymore. Also he got that from chris browns blog and all of the write ups about him.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Pardon me for giving the guy a chance.

I should have known HE SUCKS. Since the cheap, stupid bastards at OBD signed him, HE MUST SUCK.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Actually, I started this thread to see how many negmeisters would crawl up my butt for being optimistic. And I'm not disappointed.

Dr. Lecter
01-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Nice to see them say "we are changing" and start doing so the next day.

What FB's are UFA's?

The Jokeman
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Well to put a positive spin on it, he's better then any of the FBs we had on our 2007 roster.

Nice to see them say "we are changing" and start doing so the next day.

What FB's are UFA's?
Here's a list courtesy of http://www.theredzone.org/2008/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=FB

Alstott, Mike UFA Buccaneers
Bradley, Jon UFA Lions
Bronson, John RFA Cardinals
Broughton, Nehemiah RFA Redskins
Cramer, Casey RFA Titans
Green, Justin RFA Ravens
Grigsby, Boomer RFA Chiefs
Hoover, Brad UFA Panthers
Johnson, Bryan UFA Bears
Kreider, Dan UFA Steelers
Neal, Lorenzo UFA Chargers
Neufeld, Ryan UFA Bills
Richardson, Tony UFA Vikings
Sapp, Cecil UFA Broncos
Schurman, Nate RFA Saints
Sellers, Mike UFA Redskins
Tapeh, Thomas UFA Eagles
Weaver, Leonard RFA Seahawks
Wilson, Kris UFA Chiefs

A quick run down is most are overaged and probably a one or year two option with the exceptions being Bryan Johnson, Dan Kreider and Kris Wilson.

Philagape
01-17-2008, 05:40 PM
It's just as presumptuous to be positive about these things as it is to be negative. There's no more reason to think they're good than there is to think they're bad.

Mitchy moo
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Actually, I started this thread to see how many negmeisters would crawl up my butt for being optimistic.

It's one of the reasons I have been avoiding coming here as often.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
If you go to www.scout.com, and then to NFL and Free Agent Rankings, you can get some information on Barnes (who is rated #9 amongst FA fullbacks.) Injuries in 2003 and 2005 affected his career. And he was very higly respected in Miami, having beaten out Fred Beasly for the job. In 2006, he started 6 games and played in all 16, but didn't play as much because Mularkey often went with sets that didn't include a fullback.

Nick Saban loved him, and he was known as a good blocker, good special teamer, and good locker room presence.

Sometimes it's just not enough to say the guy has played for 4 teams in 6 years, so he must suck.

Jan Reimers
01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
It's just as presumptuous to be positive about these things as it is to be negative. There's no more reason to think they're good than there is to think they're bad.
You're right, as usual. But as a fan, I choose to be optimistic. And optimism really bothers some of you.

I also believe, in every phase of life, that it's better to give people a chance rather than predict failure at the outset.

RoanokeVABillsFan
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I certainly had no idea who he was but I'm glad we're bringing in some competition for the position right away.

If you go to www.scout.com (http://www.scout.com), and then to NFL and Free Agent Rankings, you can get some information on Barnes (who is rated #9 amongst FA fullbacks.) Injuries in 2003 and 2005 affected his career. And he was very higly respected in Miami, having beaten out Fred Beasly for the job. In 2006, he started 6 games and played in all 16, but didn't play as much because Mularkey often went with sets that didn't include a fullback.

Nick Saban loved him, and he was known as a good blocker, good special teamer, and good locker room presence.

Sometimes it's just not enough to say the guy has played for 4 teams in 6 years, so he must suck.

DraftBoy
01-17-2008, 05:59 PM

I should have known HE SUCKS. Since the cheap, stupid bastards at OBD signed him, HE MUST SUCK.

Oh jesus cry to somebody who cares, you didnt say you were giving him a chance, you said that he's a "bruising FB" even though you have nothing to base that off of, other than second hand and that he's been cut by every other team he's been on. And yes its possible he could be an All-Pro and I will get on my knees and thank god if he does, but excuse me for not having blind faith in the three headed cluster**** that currently is the Buffalo Bills GM, bc god knows they have shown enough in the past 5 years for me to have confidence in their ability.

Mitchy moo
01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Oh jesus cry to somebody who cares, you didnt say you were giving him a chance, you said that he's a "bruising FB" even though you have nothing to base that off of, other than second hand and that he's been cut by every other team he's been on. And yes its possible he could be an All-Pro and I will get on my knees and thank god if he does, but excuse me for not having blind faith in the three headed cluster**** that currently is the Buffalo Bills GM, bc god knows they have shown enough in the past 5 years for me to have confidence in their ability.

Mods pisssing in our soup, way to keep our heads up.

DraftBoy
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Mods pisssing in our soup, way to keep our heads up.

Ill alert you to when my job title becomes Daily Pickerupper

Philagape
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
You're right, as usual. But as a fan, I choose to be optimistic. And optimism really bothers some of you.

And negativity really bothers others. It should go without saying that fans of this team have reason to be skeptical, having their hearts broken so many times, seeing so much incompetence go through here at every level, and then when they express reservations they're ostracized for not being good fans. If we weren't fans, we wouldn't care. We ***** because we care. We want this team to win because we're fans. So if you're going to complain about negativity, then expect some of that to come your way too. I'll tolerate you if you tolerate us.

Bmax
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey i see the Guy as a back up .. I think the Bills will draft a guy in rd 3, 4 or 5th rd... Schmitt or Hillis would be fine with me .....

Bmax

HAMMER
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Ironic that Draft Boy's intials are DB isn't it.

patmoran2006
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I call my bastard child nephew DB, which is short for Dumpster Baby. ( I love Draftboy though)

Ok. Anyway. Let me say this. I am *****ing up a storm about the front office moves. And as I am confident you'll see, for good reason.

However, I have not *****ed about Turk because I think I like him. He sure as hell at least talks a good game; at least that part is exciting. Again, ANYONE is better than ****ing Fairchild.

As far as Barnes, I like the fact we're going back to a FB. Not sure I like this particular signing though. When it comes to him, I think of two things.
1- Why has he bounced around so much?

2- PLEASE God dont make this 2006 again when we sign a whole ****load of rejects (Bowens, Fowler), castoffs (Tripplett, Nall) and has-beens (Price) and let them all have an open "competition" for starting spots.

I much prefer the 2007 angle; sign only 2-3 free agents but make them count, such as Dockery and surprisingly, Walker did last year.

feelthepain
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM

..........hmmmmm, interesting.

DraftBoy
01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I call my bastard child nephew DB, which is short for Dumpster Baby. ( I love Draftboy though)

Dont make me ban you its nearly Friday

patmoran2006
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
haha.
Maybe I can be the first ever person to win a "positive" BZ award (Comeback Poster of 2007) and then get suspended within 72 hours?

HHURRICANE
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
It's one of the reasons I have been avoiding coming here as often.

Dude, seriously?!

The Bills don't need this board to make people feel negative about the team. We have finished with back to back losing seasons.

patmoran2006
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
It all comes down to what kind of committment the owner shows to winning when spring-time comes and players that we could really use to get over the top hit the free agent market.

Are we going to get 2-3 quality free agents that can really help like last year.. Or are we going to get a dozen Darius Barnes' at league minimum pricing.?

HHURRICANE
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
It all comes down to what kind of committment the owner shows to winning when spring-time comes and players that we could really use to get over the top hit the free agent market.

Are we going to get 2-3 quality free agents that can really help like last year.. Or are we going to get a dozen Darius Barnes' at league minimum pricing.?

EXACTLY!!!!!

YardRat
01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Good move...Won't know if Barnes is the answer until the season starts, but it's nice to see we're going back to using a fullback and even nicer that they didn't waste any time signing a body.

Worst case scenario, he starts and is an unknown until he proves himself. Best case - he fills the role nicely, or someone even better beats him out for the job.

That's win-win in my book.

Dr. Lecter
01-17-2008, 08:48 PM

I am willing to bet they sign guys for the minimum.

FA has not started yet, so we can stay calm.