PDA

View Full Version : Ben Utecht

The King
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Crap I didnt realize he was a FA. 26 years old 6'6 251. Had 31 catches for 330yards last year. If we are bringing Troupe in why not have a look at the other Big Ben?

He has produced much better than Troupe has over the last two seasons. Played college ball up in MIN.

Mski
03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Crap I didnt realize he was a FA. 26 years old 6'6 251. Had 31 catches for 330yards last year. If we are bringing Troupe in why not have a look at the other Big Ben?

He has produced much better than Troupe has over the last two seasons. Played college ball up in MIN.

i always liked him too... Bring him in!

bigbub2352
03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I believe he is a restricted FA, i could be wrong but we mite have to give up a pick for him, i like him too, a mini dallas clarke

The King
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
a mini dallas clarke

I dont know if mini is the right word to describe him. He's a big boy and isn't a bad blocker either.

The King
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
He is a RFA though.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
He is restricted, but Indy gave him the low tender and he is unrestricted.

Thus, Indy holds the right to match any offer sheet he signs, but if they don't there is no compensation required.

He has visits scheduled with the Bengals and the Jets.

The King
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
yes please.

The last buffalo fan
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
:drool:

I have been watching almost all the colts games the last 2 seasons, and I can only remember one drop from him. This guy is a freak!

bigbub2352
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
If there is no compensation i say bring him in, sign troupe and him and cut Royal, draft a TE on day one, then u have significantly upgraded the postion form
Robert Royal
Michael Gaines
Matt Murphy
Tim Massaqoui
Derek Schouman
Ryan Nuefeld
god was it really that bad?

ddaryl
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
But everyone does look good when Peyton is tossing the ball to you....

probably worth a look though as mentioned above he would be a guarenteed upgrade over what we have.

Philagape
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I remember seeing him in Colts games. He would make some sneaky catches, but then again, it's easy to be overlooked when the D has to worry about Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Addai, etc. I'd take him as much as I'd take Troupe, maybe more.

Mr. Miyagi
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
But everyone does look good when Peyton is tossing the ball to you....
I agree.

Jerome Pathon anyone?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Utecht isn't much of a deep-threat, although he can get deep on occasion--so in that sense he's kind of like Royal. But, he's a good blocker and has good hands. I've seen him make some very difficult catches and he's very good at converting 3rd downs--he knows where the marker is and makes sure that he gets there.

Of course P.Manning makes his stats look better than they might be with another QB, but, if you watch him play, he is a solid, old-fashioned TE. And, he'd be worth a look if the Bills can't get Troupe signed.

Troupe, who is more of an athletic, receiving TE, is a different kind of TE than Utecht--the kind that the Bills probably haven't had since they had K.McKellar.

jamze132
03-05-2008, 05:44 AM
I would be happier than I am today with either one of them on the roster...

The last buffalo fan
03-05-2008, 09:14 AM

:hi5:

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 09:20 AM

I would to but still take troupe i want more of a deep threat but i think utecht is a good te

HendersonD06
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Reports are that the New York Jets are really close to signing Utecht.

THis is CRAZY...

We already signed Alan Faneca from Pittsburg who has been a 7 Time Pro Bowler, and is still ONLY 31 years of age.

We traded a 3rd and a 5th for K.Jenkins who is the perfect fit for our 3-4 defense. Trust me, I know, D.Robertson is a 4-3 DT who has been TRYING to play the role of a 3-4 NT for over 2 seasons now, not only does he get BLOWN off the blocks, but he gets dominated just about every play. Jenkins is even bigger than V.Wilfork which is amazing. Last year D.Harris AS A ROOKIE, had games with 11, 17 and 24 tackles, he also had 5 sacks after only starting 9 games, if he started all 16 games for this Jets defense, Harris would have won the ROY award, hands down. D.Harris did all of this behind ROBERTSON, I cant wait to see K.Jenkins anchor this 3-4 D-Line.

We also went out and signed Calvin Pace who sat the bench for Arizona his first 3 seasons, his first year as a starter, the first year Pace had a chance to make an impact... He had 98 tackles with 6 1/2 sacks. He's the PERFECT OLB in a 3-4 Defense, he can rush the QB from the outside, he's large enough and strong enough to stop the run, he's also athletic at 6'4-272, he can drop back into coverage and also play the MLB position in passing situations. He's like the PERFECT 3-4 OLB for this Jets defense, and I believe thats the reason why Bill Parcells was going after Pace with Guns blazing for the Dolhpins.

And Woody is a solid pickup. Last year the Jets had Clement who is one of the worst O-Lineman in the league starting at RT... The signing of Woody brings another veteran to this Jets O-Line with Ferguson,Mangold and now Faneca. Woody has been to the Pro Bowl, started the whole season on a the PAtriots 2001 SB winning team and will help this Jets team out alot.

The Jets are back to a playoff type team. Lets go out and draft McFadden or Gholston at #6.

But I hope we also bring in Utecht

Mski
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I would to but still take troupe i want more of a deep threat but i think utecht is a good te
why do you want a TE as a deep threat... we have pleanty of sopeedy WR to go deep, what we need is someone big who can go over the middle and help us in the red zone

kgun12
03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I think I would like Utecht over Troupe.

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
why do you want a TE as a deep threat... we have pleanty of sopeedy WR to go deep, what we need is someone big who can go over the middle and help us in the red zone

Because it helps the running game....im not saying i want him out as a flanker but a threat up the middle who can get there quicker makes the lb be more hesitant in the run game because the worried about the TE getting to far behind them

also puts another threat on safety who is trying to help out in coverage or running game.

im sorry i dont want my te's doing 5 yd ins and outs woooooo scary

kgun12
03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I really don't understand all the lather about the TE position, seriously! Look at the teams that have great TE's. SD, KC, hell Buffalo had a TE we named an entire offense after and still no Super Bowls. Max McGee was the last TE to have any impact on a Super Bowl which was the 1st SB and he was so hungover he said it even hurt to put his helmet on. Yes it's nice to have a good one, but really? Get a TE that can block great and if he can catch great if not oh well, and to even think about WASTEING a 1st round pick on one is crazy!

:couch:

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 10:37 AM
um, i dont think that having a great TE kept those teams from winning the superbowl.. they just didnt have some other pieces filled in, which is why they didnt win.

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
and to even think about WASTEING a 1st round pick on one is crazy!

:couch:

You're.

kgun12
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
um, i dont think that having a great TE kept those teams from winning the superbowl.. they just didnt have some other pieces filled in, which is why they didnt win.

My point exactly T, we have so many other areas that need upgrades, if we fixed everyother area, an average TE would do just fine. Look at the Giants, they won the SB with an average TE, so did NE, Indy had an above average TE, but as a rule an average TE is all you need if you are good in most other places. So if it came down to any other position in the draft and the best TE was still there, I would take the any other position player!

kgun12
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
You're.

...yeeess? :tap:

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I really don't understand all the lather about the TE position, seriously! Look at the teams that have great TE's. SD, KC, hell Buffalo had a TE we named an entire offense after and still no Super Bowls. Max McGee was the last TE to have any impact on a Super Bowl which was the 1st SB and he was so hungover he said it even hurt to put his helmet on. Yes it's nice to have a good one, but really? Get a TE that can block great and if he can catch great if not oh well, and to even think about WASTEING a 1st round pick on one is crazy!

Jay Novacek. Brent Jones. Keith Jackson (and Mark Chmura). Dallas Clark. Shannon Sharpe. Mark Bavaro.

All Pro-Bowlers, and Super Bowl Champs.

kgun12
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Jay Novacek. Brent Jones. Keith Jackson (and Mark Chmura). Dallas Clark. Shannon Sharpe. Mark Bavaro.

Yes, but then again someone has to make the pro bowl at that position. Besides Watson got hurt this year and the Pats didn't miss a beat, Clark got hurt for the Colts and they kept going, Gates got hurt, same results. Shocket got hurt and the Giants won the SB! BTW who was Green Bay's TE this year? TE is like a long snapper, if you have a great one great, if not you can get by with a good one!

HendersonD06
03-05-2008, 11:01 AM

THis is CRAZY...

We already signed Alan Faneca from Pittsburg who has been a 7 Time Pro Bowler, and is still ONLY 31 years of age.

We traded a 3rd and a 5th for K.Jenkins who is the perfect fit for our 3-4 defense. Trust me, I know, D.Robertson is a 4-3 DT who has been TRYING to play the role of a 3-4 NT for over 2 seasons now, not only does he get BLOWN off the blocks, but he gets dominated just about every play. Jenkins is even bigger than V.Wilfork which is amazing. Last year D.Harris AS A ROOKIE, had games with 11, 17 and 24 tackles, he also had 5 sacks after only starting 9 games, if he started all 16 games for this Jets defense, Harris would have won the ROY award, hands down. D.Harris did all of this behind ROBERTSON, I cant wait to see K.Jenkins anchor this 3-4 D-Line.

We also went out and signed Calvin Pace who sat the bench for Arizona his first 3 seasons, his first year as a starter, the first year Pace had a chance to make an impact... He had 98 tackles with 6 1/2 sacks. He's the PERFECT OLB in a 3-4 Defense, he can rush the QB from the outside, he's large enough and strong enough to stop the run, he's also athletic at 6'4-272, he can drop back into coverage and also play the MLB position in passing situations. He's like the PERFECT 3-4 OLB for this Jets defense, and I believe thats the reason why Bill Parcells was going after Pace with Guns blazing for the Dolhpins.

And Woody is a solid pickup. Last year the Jets had Clement who is one of the worst O-Lineman in the league starting at RT... The signing of Woody brings another veteran to this Jets O-Line with Ferguson,Mangold and now Faneca. Woody has been to the Pro Bowl, started the whole season on a the PAtriots 2001 SB winning team and will help this Jets team out alot.

The Jets are back to a playoff type team. Lets go out and draft McFadden or Gholston at #6.

But I hope we also bring in Utecht

HendersonD06
03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Utecht would be a solid pickup for either the Jets or the Bills

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, but then again someone has to make the pro bowl at that position. Besides Watson got hurt this year and the Pats didn't miss a beat, Clark got hurt for the Colts and they kept going, Gates got hurt, same results. Shocket got hurt and the Giants won the SB! BTW who was Green Bay's TE this year? TE is like a long snapper, if you have a great one great, if not you can get by with a good one!

I disagree. There is more than one way to win, but having a top TE is a real benefit because they are rare.

TE's are key to setting the edge in the running game, find me a good running game and I'll show you a TE that can block. If the guy can also catch passes, it opens up the middle of the defense. They are a huge weapon, which is why teams are always looking for them.

You can't dismiss what a guy like Shannon Sharpe meant to the Broncos, a guy like Brent Jones (and earlier Russ Francis) meant to the 49ers, a guy like Mark Bavaro meant to the Giants or a guy like Jay Novacek meant to the Cowboys. They were key players on championship teams, which flies in the face of your argument.

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Having another weapon helps especially for a Qb thats learning . Bring in a TE and give Trent all the weapons we can give him. I'm tired of losing.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM

You felt the need to post this again?

kgun12
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I disagree. There is more than one way to win, but having a top TE is a real benefit because they are rare.

TE's are key to setting the edge in the running game, find me a good running game and I'll show you a TE that can block. If the guy can also catch passes, it opens up the middle of the defense. They are a huge weapon, which is why teams are always looking for them.

You can't dismiss what a guy like Shannon Sharpe meant to the Broncos, a guy like Brent Jones (and earlier Russ Francis) meant to the 49ers, a guy like Mark Bavaro meant to the Giants or a guy like Jay Novacek meant to the Cowboys. They were key players on championship teams, which flies in the face of your argument.

Your first point is then let's get a glorified tackle so we have a good blocking TE. AS far as opening up the middle, yes they can do that, but so can a got slot receiver not afraid to go over the middle like Andre Reed.

As far as your point about S. Sharpe, B. Jones, Bavaro, good points, but I can go back to more SB champs and show you good to average TE's and TE play that have won the SB. Again this years Giants, The PAts last 3, and on an on. Maybe on some SB teams like the Giants of 1990, the Brocos team you talked about, there WR's are below average and they have to rely on the TE position more!

What flies in the face of your argument is Gates and Gonzalas, the 2 best TE in football over the last 8-10 years and ZERO SB appearances let alone wins!

Philagape
03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
To say that some teams won SBs without TEs is not a valid argument against TEs. Some teams won SBs without great QBs. Some great QBs never won SBs. Does that mean a QB isn't all that important?
TE is like any other position; it's better to have a better one.

kgun12
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
To say that some teams won SBs without TEs is not a valid argument against TEs. Some teams won SBs without great QBs. Some great QBs never won SBs. Does that mean a QB isn't all that important?
TE is like any other position; it's better to have a better one.

...and more teams won the SB without a great TE than ever won them with great TE. Your post is kinda of what I have been saying, but I will also add again that I would never use my 1st round pick on one. Look how SD got Gates, besides TE just isn't worth 1st round money period.

Goobylal
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
THis is CRAZY...
Faneca was a great pickup. Woody not so much. And Jenkins had trouble with performance and durability in the 4-3. In the 3-4 he will be overmatched, if not injured early. They should just keep Robertson and go with the 4-3, and should have kept Vilma. And Pace could be a good pickup. But there's always a concern with guys who have career years in a contract year and then get a huge deal.

Goobylal
03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
BTW, all doesn't appear rosy in Jetsland:

'Jets | Anonymous player complains about spending spree
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:29:17 -0800
ESPN.com reports an anonymous New York Jets player complained to the New York Daily News about the team's spending spree during this year's free agency period. The Jets have given out approximately $142 million for four players with $74 million of it guaranteed. "You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room -- the guys that have your back -- you don't give a damn about them. It shows where the loyalty is," the anonymous player said. He added, "They're getting rid of the young guys and bringing in old guys. I don't know what they're doing."'

From kffl.com

mikemac2001
03-06-2008, 12:46 AM
hmmmmmm there is a post for this goob

The King
03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Ummm with Troupe gone can we call Utecht now?

The King
03-07-2008, 07:24 AM

Ben Coates!!!

Saratoga Slim
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I think I would like Utecht over Troupe.

I think so too. If nothing else, all things being equal, Utecht has been less injury prone from what I can tell.