PDA

View Full Version : Very Best Mock I Have Seen

BigGabes23
03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
This is very well thought out and explainations are excellent. Even if you do not agree with all of the picks, it is a great read.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Some comments:

I agree with Gholston going second (if not first)
I agree that Atlanta will not take a QB at #3
I think Devin Thomas is the #1 wide out on most boards
I am begining to think that DRC will not be available at 11.

Interesting that they do not have the Bills taking a WR until the fourth round. This really is not a close to what we have been discussing, but would you be happy with this outcome? I think I would.

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif Buffalo Bills: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida http://walterfootball.com/college/SouthFlorida_logo.gif
I have a receiver or a linebacker going here for a while, but With Malcolm Kelly's stock dropping a bit, it's likely one of three things will happen with Buffalo's No. 11 selection:

Trade Down: The Bills need a massive receiver like Kelly to complement the lightning-quick Lee Evans. The problem is there aren't any wide outs worth taking in this spot. Buffalo should be able to swap selections with a team like Philadelphia and obtain the receiver of its choice.

Defensive End: I considered Phillip Merling at this juncture. From my offseason needs page: "The Bills could be in trouble at the defensive end position in 2008, as the guys who play across from Aaron Schobel - Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney - both suffered serious injuries toward the end of the 2007 campaign and will consequently not be able to work out during the offseason. Buffalo needs to upgrade its pass rush anyway, as the team managed only 26 sacks."

Cornerback: The Bills have major depth issues at defensive back in the wake of losing Kiwaukee Thomas, Jerametrius Butler, Jim Leonhard, Coy Wire and E.J. Underwood this offseason. Buffalo needs to knock off the Patriots, who have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Ben Watson all catching passes from the NFL's single-season record holder for touchdowns.

Once Jenkins is ready, the Bills can slide Jabari Greer into the nickel slot, giving them one of the top secondaries in the NFL.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Cornerback: The Bills have major depth issues at defensive back in the wake of losing Kiwaukee Thomas, Jerametrius Butler, Jim Leonhard, Coy Wire and E.J. Underwood this offseason. Buffalo needs to knock off the Patriots, who have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Ben Watson all catching passes from the NFL's single-season record holder for touchdowns.

Once Jenkins is ready, the Bills can slide Jabari Greer into the nickel slot, giving them one of the top secondaries in the NFL.
I don't totally disagree with the selection of Jenkins, but the losses of Thomas, Butler, Leonhard, Wire and Underwood are driving this choice?

FlyingDutchman
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
That IS a really good mock. This guy actually knows our needs. Personally I love it. Ive been a fan of taking a CB and for the same reasons he stated. I want DRC, but Jenkins is just fine. I think people will freak out if we were done with the first day of drafting and we didnt have a WR, but I agree with his reasoning that we might as well grab a top interior lineman over the 10th WR available, especially with no real standout WRs.

Last note, i love that he has us taking Owen Schmitt! This guy must be hawking our message board.

patmoran2006
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
the Bils are more than one CB away from having one "of the best secondaries in the NFL".

FlyingDutchman
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
daft day just needs to get here already. this daily speculation s*** is driving me insane

Confused
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd be pist if we draft a cb in the 1st. that would be the dummest ****ing thing we could do.

raphael120
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd be pist if we draft a cb in the 1st. that would be the dummest ****ing thing we could do.

especially if its not DRC...

i dont want this to become another "well the best safety got taken so we'll reach and take the leftovers and not trade down..."

patmoran2006
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I dont care who we take, or when we take them. But given we've done jack squat to improve this team via FA offensively, a year from now if we dont find a way to improve this offense through THIS draft; we're going to be sitting here once again, talking about who we'll be taking with a draft pick between 8-14.

This is why Im pissed we didnt make moves on guys like Crumpler, or Hackett. ANYBODY for that matter who is an upgrade offensively over what we currently have. It's literally TIPPED our hand to force ourselves to go offense heavy in this draft; even if there are great corners or DE's on the board at our picks.

Our offense is still BRUTAL.

SquishDaFish
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Trade down and pick a WR

X-Era
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM

I dont feel as strongly as you do, but I agree that unless its a great value at our pick like DRC would be, it should be a BPA at a need.

IMO, thats no other CB at 11 other than DRC, McKelvin and Jenkins do nto impress me that much.

I would honestly rather solidfy a huge hole at #2 WR with a solid pick or even picking a WR maybe 5 spots early, than draft a depth or player to push a starter at the "right spot".

If you can get a BPA who is likely to be a real, tangible, upgrade at any position. Thats something to consider.

McKelvin and Jenkins do NOT represent that.

Is Harvey possibly an upgrade to Kelsay? Yes, I see that.

Is Keith Rivers an upgrade to Crowell? I could see that even.

DRC I could see as an upgrade to both Greer and James.

SquishDaFish
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I cant wait for the draft DAMMIT!

X-Era
03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
I cant wait for the draft DAMMIT!

I have said over and over that its like x-mas to me.

Its probably my favorite sports event outside of a Bills Superbowl.

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 07:35 PM
wow.. so steve johnson is the answer at WR in the 4th round huh?

lol.. so i guess you guys are hoping the defense wins game for us? because the offense is sure gonna suck balls again.

vernon davis didnt do anything his rookie year, so i cant really say i think that davis is going to either.. and he is really the only additino that would even come close to starting from that draft.. unless you think the fullback spot is going to take us over teh top.. lol

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Im sorry but this is why I hate Walter's Football for Mocks, its totally sold on the hype machine, first the Bills picks.

11. Jenkins-Ok I can buy that one
41. Fred Davis-Yes that's a bad pick, and for the reason why go to the Scouting Zone and see the Fred Davis thread. That pick would immediately be Kentwan Balmer. Can't pass on him there given McCargo's history of injuries.
72. Mike Pollack-I dont know what he's thinking here, way too early for an OC. Better options include; Andre Caldwell and Josh Johnson (who is going WAY too early)
110. Steve Johnson-:rofl: thats all I need to say. Better Options; Mike Rucker, DJ Hall, Jerome Simpson
135. Owen Schmitt-I have no more comments to make about my disdain for this pick which isnt so bad in the 5th had we not blow the previous 3 rounds. Better Options; Ezra Butler, Beau Bell, Antwuan Molden, Kevin O'Connell

As for his other picks;
Too High; Leodis McKelvin, DeSean Jackson, Lawrence Jackson, Tracy Porter, Fred Davis, Justin King, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Flowers, Matt Forte, Brad Cottam, Shawn Crable, Mike Pollack, Marcus Howard, Tashard Choice, Josh Johnson, Jacob Tamme, John David Booty,

Too Low: Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Reggie Smith, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, Red Bryant, Andre Caldwell, Thomas DeCoud, Calais Campbell, Martin Rucker, Wesley Woodyard (who is a S not an OLB), Jason Jones, Jamar Adams, Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Goff, Ezra Butler, Beau Bell

I give this mock an D overall

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I would be very nervous about waiting until the 4th round to pick up a WR. I don't care how deep the WRs are in the draft, they guy you get in the fourth round is not going to be as good as the guy you can get in the first or second round, unless you're very, very lucky. I'm also not high on Fred Davis.

ParanoidAndroid
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
If Andre Caldwell is there when our 3rd rounder comes up and we have no WR yet, he better damn well be the pick. I would actually think that Caldwell would have to be considered at our #2 spot and we wait to pick up a TE later. Overall, I hate the thought of Sweed slipping through our fingers and to the Cowboys. I'm just not a fan of taking a CB 1st.

Night Train
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
The Bills actual draft won't look like any mock draft, so I wouldn't get too attached to any of these speculative guesses.

It's all an exercise in killing time and providing discussion up until Draft weekend. Keep an open mind and do your own research.

PECKERWOOD
03-26-2008, 06:18 AM
I'd like us to trade down and take Aqib Talib, I think that guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL and plus, he would give our return game a boost.

- I don't see Brohm as a 2nd round pick, I see him sneaking into the first. Teams that are in need of a QB will trade up back into the last 1st round to pick him up, it would be way too risky to wait for him to fall to you, especially if you're like Atlanta and you have no talent at that position. Also, Brohm just had a really good pro day at Louisville, so take it for what it's worth.

- Dan Connor should be a first round pick, I don't think he is going to slide like Posluszny did.

- Plus, I'm gonna blow up San Frans FO if they take Early Doucet before we pick this year! That would be 3 years in a row.

FlyingDutchman
03-26-2008, 07:38 AM
The Bills actual draft won't look like any mock draft, so I wouldn't get too attached to any of these speculative guesses.

It's all an exercise in killing time and providing discussion up until Draft weekend. Keep an open mind and do your own research.

agreed. i also dont get why self proclaimed draft geniuses get all worked up and claim they know better than others when this is a guessing game, especially once the first round is over.

DraftBoy
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd like us to trade down and take Aqib Talib, I think that guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL and plus, he would give our return game a boost.

- I don't see Brohm as a 2nd round pick, I see him sneaking into the first. Teams that are in need of a QB will trade up back into the last 1st round to pick him up, it would be way too risky to wait for him to fall to you, especially if you're like Atlanta and you have no talent at that position. Also, Brohm just had a really good pro day at Louisville, so take it for what it's worth.

- Dan Connor should be a first round pick, I don't think he is going to slide like Posluszny did.

- Plus, I'm gonna blow up San Frans FO if they take Early Doucet before we pick this year! That would be 3 years in a row.

I disagree with your first two points all indications Ive seen have both Brohm and Connor sliding badly. But I do think SF will take Doucet before us this year, which will suck imo if we dont go WR in the 1st.

TedMock
03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I love the breakdowns this guy does, but I don't love his picks.

IF the first 10 picks go this way AND we don't trade down, Mike Jenkins is absolutely the best pick on the board for us. The WR's just aren't worthy of the 11 and there are so many good WR's who are worth 2nd - 4th round picks.

Ideally, we trade down and take BPA. Talib would be great in a trade-down. I don't hate a TE in the 2nd, but I don't think Davis is the guy there. Davis would be the 3rd or 4th TE in my opinion. Keller, Carlson and Bennett may all go before him.

DeSean Jackson will be an excellent 2nd round pick. Way too high to grab him in the first. Same with Hardy although I think there's a better chance of both going in the 1st these days.

Owen Schmitt is an okay pick in the 5th. Many have us grabbing him in the 4th and I think that's too high. I like the kid, but I'm not a fan of grabbing him in the fourth. 5th - fine. I don't think he's the top FB in the draft either. #2 or #3 in my opinion. I would put Peyton Hillis ahead of him for certain, but I do like both guys.

PECKERWOOD
03-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I disagree with your first two points all indications Ive seen have both Brohm and Connor sliding badly. But I do think SF will take Doucet before us this year, which will suck imo if we dont go WR in the 1st.

Why don't you like Brohm? Ran a 4.6 at his pro day and threw very well at his pro day. He is also widely believed to be the most pro ready QB in the draft and he has the potential to get better. Brohm is a 1st rounder, I'm willing to bet 10k ZB's on this. http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/SPORTS02/803250519/1002/SPORTS

Connor has definately been slipping, out of the 2 I named he has the best chance of making it into the 2nd round but I really doubt it. I really have a hard time believing that he would get past the Giants..

Glad we agree on Doucet, hehe.

TedMock
03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Will Miami draft Chris Long? Probably. Sure, Gholston dazzled GMs and scouts at his combine, but Chris Long didn't exactly disappoint anyone. He put up great numbers for a prospect of his size, even though he was frustrated because he knew he could do better. Long is a perfect fit for Miami's dreadful defense, and seems like a Bill Parcells guy.

The Dolphins need a 3-4 rush linebacker. They'll be able to grab a quarterback, nose tackle and right tackle later in the draft, but they won't be able to obtain a devastating sack-artist like Long or Gholston at selection No. 32. Long played the 3-4 at Virginia and it doesn't exactly hurt that his father is Howie Long. The Tuna has a history of drafting players who have NFL bloodlines (Bobby Carpenter).

To summarize, Miami has to acquire a 3-4 linebacker here, and Chris Long is currently the top prospect at that position, edging Gholston out by a nose. This could change in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

What?! How dare this guy not use "high motor" or "lunch pal" when describing an end like Long! :funny:

DraftBoy
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Why don't you like Brohm? Ran a 4.6 at his pro day and threw very well at his pro day. He is also widely believed to be the most pro ready QB in the draft and he has the potential to get better. Brohm is a 1st rounder, I'm willing to bet 10k ZB's on this. http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/SPORTS02/803250519/1002/SPORTS

Connor has definately been slipping, out of the 2 I named he has the best chance of making it into the 2nd round but I really doubt it. I really have a hard time believing that he would get past the Giants..

Glad we agree on Doucet, hehe.

Brohm has very limited upside, imo

He is pretty much done developing as far as Im concerned.

Marvelous
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I LOVE the 1st pick..
-I LOVE the WV FB too...
-The rest seem solid but i havent seen them...I've heard mixed reviews about the USC TE.. No doubt do we need a TE...

-I love mocks where they put alot of effort into it....Good find bro....