Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Best Mock I Have Seen

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Very Best Mock I Have Seen

This is very well thought out and explainations are excellent. Even if you do not agree with all of the picks, it is a great read.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Some comments:

I agree with Gholston going second (if not first)
    I agree that Atlanta will not take a QB at #3
    I think Devin Thomas is the #1 wide out on most boards
    I am begining to think that DRC will not be available at 11.

Interesting that they do not have the Bills taking a WR until the fourth round. This really is not a close to what we have been discussing, but would you be happy with this outcome? I think I would.

Buffalo Bills: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
    I have a receiver or a linebacker going here for a while, but With Malcolm Kelly's stock dropping a bit, it's likely one of three things will happen with Buffalo's No. 11 selection:

Trade Down: The Bills need a massive receiver like Kelly to complement the lightning-quick Lee Evans. The problem is there aren't any wide outs worth taking in this spot. Buffalo should be able to swap selections with a team like Philadelphia and obtain the receiver of its choice.

Defensive End: I considered Phillip Merling at this juncture. From my offseason needs page: "The Bills could be in trouble at the defensive end position in 2008, as the guys who play across from Aaron Schobel - Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney - both suffered serious injuries toward the end of the 2007 campaign and will consequently not be able to work out during the offseason. Buffalo needs to upgrade its pass rush anyway, as the team managed only 26 sacks."

Cornerback: The Bills have major depth issues at defensive back in the wake of losing Kiwaukee Thomas, Jerametrius Butler, Jim Leonhard, Coy Wire and E.J. Underwood this offseason. Buffalo needs to knock off the Patriots, who have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Ben Watson all catching passes from the NFL's single-season record holder for touchdowns.

Once Jenkins is ready, the Bills can slide Jabari Greer into the nickel slot, giving them one of the top secondaries in the NFL.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Very Best Mock I Have Seen

Quote Originally Posted by biggabes21

Cornerback: The Bills have major depth issues at defensive back in the wake of losing Kiwaukee Thomas, Jerametrius Butler, Jim Leonhard, Coy Wire and E.J. Underwood this offseason. Buffalo needs to knock off the Patriots, who have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Ben Watson all catching passes from the NFL's single-season record holder for touchdowns.

Once Jenkins is ready, the Bills can slide Jabari Greer into the nickel slot, giving them one of the top secondaries in the NFL.
    I don't totally disagree with the selection of Jenkins, but the losses of Thomas, Butler, Leonhard, Wire and Underwood are driving this choice?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That IS a really good mock. This guy actually knows our needs. Personally I love it. Ive been a fan of taking a CB and for the same reasons he stated. I want DRC, but Jenkins is just fine. I think people will freak out if we were done with the first day of drafting and we didnt have a WR, but I agree with his reasoning that we might as well grab a top interior lineman over the 10th WR available, especially with no real standout WRs.

Last note, i love that he has us taking Owen Schmitt! This guy must be hawking our message board.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the Bils are more than one CB away from having one "of the best secondaries in the NFL".

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

daft day just needs to get here already. this daily speculation s*** is driving me insane

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd be pist if we draft a cb in the 1st. that would be the dummest ****ing thing we could do.

Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment raphael120's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by hoofhearted
    I'd be pist if we draft a cb in the 1st. that would be the dummest ****ing thing we could do.
    especially if its not DRC...

i dont want this to become another "well the best safety got taken so we'll reach and take the leftovers and not trade down..."

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I dont care who we take, or when we take them. But given we've done jack squat to improve this team via FA offensively, a year from now if we dont find a way to improve this offense through THIS draft; we're going to be sitting here once again, talking about who we'll be taking with a draft pick between 8-14.

This is why Im pissed we didnt make moves on guys like Crumpler, or Hackett. ANYBODY for that matter who is an upgrade offensively over what we currently have. It's literally TIPPED our hand to force ourselves to go offense heavy in this draft; even if there are great corners or DE's on the board at our picks.

Our offense is still BRUTAL.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Trade down and pick a WR

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by hoofhearted
    I dont feel as strongly as you do, but I agree that unless its a great value at our pick like DRC would be, it should be a BPA at a need.

IMO, thats no other CB at 11 other than DRC, McKelvin and Jenkins do nto impress me that much.

I would honestly rather solidfy a huge hole at #2 WR with a solid pick or even picking a WR maybe 5 spots early, than draft a depth or player to push a starter at the "right spot".

If you can get a BPA who is likely to be a real, tangible, upgrade at any position. Thats something to consider.

McKelvin and Jenkins do NOT represent that.

Is Harvey possibly an upgrade to Kelsay? Yes, I see that.

Is Keith Rivers an upgrade to Crowell? I could see that even.

DRC I could see as an upgrade to both Greer and James.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I cant wait for the draft DAMMIT!

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
    I cant wait for the draft DAMMIT!
    I have said over and over that its like x-mas to me.

Its probably my favorite sports event outside of a Bills Superbowl.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

wow.. so steve johnson is the answer at WR in the 4th round huh?

lol.. so i guess you guys are hoping the defense wins game for us? because the offense is sure gonna suck balls again.

vernon davis didnt do anything his rookie year, so i cant really say i think that davis is going to either.. and he is really the only additino that would even come close to starting from that draft.. unless you think the fullback spot is going to take us over teh top.. lol
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Im sorry but this is why I hate Walter's Football for Mocks, its totally sold on the hype machine, first the Bills picks.

11. Jenkins-Ok I can buy that one
    41. Fred Davis-Yes that's a bad pick, and for the reason why go to the Scouting Zone and see the Fred Davis thread. That pick would immediately be Kentwan Balmer. Can't pass on him there given McCargo's history of injuries.
    72. Mike Pollack-I dont know what he's thinking here, way too early for an OC. Better options include; Andre Caldwell and Josh Johnson (who is going WAY too early)
    110. Steve Johnson- thats all I need to say. Better Options; Mike Rucker, DJ Hall, Jerome Simpson
    135. Owen Schmitt-I have no more comments to make about my disdain for this pick which isnt so bad in the 5th had we not blow the previous 3 rounds. Better Options; Ezra Butler, Beau Bell, Antwuan Molden, Kevin O'Connell

As for his other picks;
    Too High; Leodis McKelvin, DeSean Jackson, Lawrence Jackson, Tracy Porter, Fred Davis, Justin King, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Flowers, Matt Forte, Brad Cottam, Shawn Crable, Mike Pollack, Marcus Howard, Tashard Choice, Josh Johnson, Jacob Tamme, John David Booty,

Too Low: Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Reggie Smith, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, Red Bryant, Andre Caldwell, Thomas DeCoud, Calais Campbell, Martin Rucker, Wesley Woodyard (who is a S not an OLB), Jason Jones, Jamar Adams, Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Goff, Ezra Butler, Beau Bell

I give this mock an D overall
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would be very nervous about waiting until the 4th round to pick up a WR. I don't care how deep the WRs are in the draft, they guy you get in the fourth round is not going to be as good as the guy you can get in the first or second round, unless you're very, very lucky. I'm also not high on Fred Davis.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,714 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Andre Caldwell is there when our 3rd rounder comes up and we have no WR yet, he better damn well be the pick. I would actually think that Caldwell would have to be considered at our #2 spot and we wait to pick up a TE later. Overall, I hate the thought of Sweed slipping through our fingers and to the Cowboys. I'm just not a fan of taking a CB 1st.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills actual draft won't look like any mock draft, so I wouldn't get too attached to any of these speculative guesses.

It's all an exercise in killing time and providing discussion up until Draft weekend. Keep an open mind and do your own research.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like us to trade down and take Aqib Talib, I think that guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL and plus, he would give our return game a boost.

- I don't see Brohm as a 2nd round pick, I see him sneaking into the first. Teams that are in need of a QB will trade up back into the last 1st round to pick him up, it would be way too risky to wait for him to fall to you, especially if you're like Atlanta and you have no talent at that position. Also, Brohm just had a really good pro day at Louisville, so take it for what it's worth.

- Dan Connor should be a first round pick, I don't think he is going to slide like Posluszny did.

- Plus, I'm gonna blow up San Frans FO if they take Early Doucet before we pick this year! That would be 3 years in a row.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    The Bills actual draft won't look like any mock draft, so I wouldn't get too attached to any of these speculative guesses.

It's all an exercise in killing time and providing discussion up until Draft weekend. Keep an open mind and do your own research.
    agreed. i also dont get why self proclaimed draft geniuses get all worked up and claim they know better than others when this is a guessing game, especially once the first round is over.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloFever
    I'd like us to trade down and take Aqib Talib, I think that guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL and plus, he would give our return game a boost.

- I don't see Brohm as a 2nd round pick, I see him sneaking into the first. Teams that are in need of a QB will trade up back into the last 1st round to pick him up, it would be way too risky to wait for him to fall to you, especially if you're like Atlanta and you have no talent at that position. Also, Brohm just had a really good pro day at Louisville, so take it for what it's worth.

- Dan Connor should be a first round pick, I don't think he is going to slide like Posluszny did.

- Plus, I'm gonna blow up San Frans FO if they take Early Doucet before we pick this year! That would be 3 years in a row.
    I disagree with your first two points all indications Ive seen have both Brohm and Connor sliding badly. But I do think SF will take Doucet before us this year, which will suck imo if we dont go WR in the 1st.