PDA

View Full Version : Bills QB Edwards eager to start building off rookie season

YardRat
03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-03-25-227659440_x.htm

If a clean-shaven face means a fresh start, Trent Edwards arrived for the opening of the Buffalo Bills' voluntary offseason conditioning program eager to show how far he can carry them now that he's the starting quarterback.

"Sitting at home in January, watching the playoffs, watching these quarterbacks lead their teams, kind of motivated me a little bit more," Edwards said Tuesday. "I'm feeling good. I'm ready to go."

YardRat
03-26-2008, 05:31 AM
The Bills saw enough in Edwards to make him their starter entering this season, a decision that's led to Losman's request to be traded.

Edwards sidestepped questions regarding Losman's uncertain future, saying, "It's not my position to call on that. We'll see where it goes."

But Edwards hopes Losman stays.

"I think very highly of him and the way he plays, and that's what you need at this level," Edwards said. "If we're going to be successful and win games, we need to have talented football players and talented quarterbacks."

Classy comment.

Night Train
03-26-2008, 05:36 AM
If a clean-shaven face means a fresh start

It doesn't ! It means he lacks confidence ! This season will suck ! [/Zone Pinheads]

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Good, he has more to prove than anyone in the league at this point. Hopefully he doesn't crap his pants like he did last year.

DraftBoy
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Does the article say if he's in Buffalo or not yet working out?

Romes
03-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Does the article say if he's in Buffalo or not yet working out?

he is. there is a video of him working out at the field house and answering chris brown's questions posted on bb.com, yesterday.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
The kid say's everything right. He sound's like a leader. Hopefully he can produce on the field.

Pride
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Following a 90-minute meeting with Schonert, Edwards said the new scheme will be similar to the one the Bills had last year but with some exceptions. The most notable difference, Edwards said, is the quarterback will have more leeway in changing plays at the line of scrimmage.

:up:

ddaryl
03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Glad to seee trent is in town working hard. That is the 1st sign of a leader... being here for the voluntaries.

I hope Trent looks awesome from the get go... It would be nice to see some impressive drives with the 1st unit in preseason for a change

Dr. Lecter
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Good, he has more to prove than anyone in the league at this point. Hopefully he doesn't crap his pants like he did last year.

He played like a rookie last year and was pretty solid in many games.

jamze132
03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
:up:
I think the comment you are speaking of was the main reason our offense has sucked so bad in the last few years. The QBs don't have much liberty to change anything as the defense lines up...

I hope this translates into a few more third down conversions at a minium.

The King
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I cant wait to see Trent live up to the Real Deal nickname!

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
He played like a rookie last year and was pretty solid in many games.
I don't accept the "rookie" excuse, he's a starting NFL QB and he should play like one, he gets paid very well to do so. If I don't perform well with my job I'm gone and will no longer get a paycheck. One game against Miami doesn't equal many games. I know it's easy for you to accept mediocrity after almost a decade of losing but don't fall into the void. He played very well against Miami and did a decent job in a couple of other games but he was by no means "solid."

That being said I'm happy to have him and I hope he lives up to his new position of starter.

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Classy comment.
We have 2 classy qb's.

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
If Edwards struggles and Jauron pulls him in favor of whoever our #2 is at the time I will personally drive from Dallas to Orchard Park and ***** slap Jauron. The last thing we need is to **** up like we did with Losman and screw with a young QB's confidence.

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Edwards said, is the quarterback will have more leeway in changing plays at the line of scrimmage.
I hope we could've done that . We could've scrambled for 1st downs on 3rd/4th and short.

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I hope we could've done that . We could've scrambled for 1st downs on 3rd/4th and short.
Scrambling is one thing I wish we would have allowed Losman to do more of. Hopefully Turk (unlike Fairchild) will call plays based on his players strengths.

Dr. Lecter
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't accept the "rookie" excuse, he's a starting NFL QB and he should play like one, he gets paid very well to do so. If I don't perform well with my job I'm gone and will no longer get a paycheck. One game against Miami doesn't equal many games. I know it's easy for you to accept mediocrity after almost a decade of losing but don't fall into the void. He played very well against Miami and did a decent job in a couple of other games but he was by no means "solid."

That being said I'm happy to have him, I actually wore my Edwards jersey to school today and had a few people ask "who's that?"

No, I do not accept mediocrity. Please stop with that annoyinh comment. And, unless you are in the NFL or another sport your comparison is rather invalid.

Fact is if every team gave up on QB's after one year, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre and many other QBs would have not lasted more than a year. QB, in the NFL, is a position that with rare exception takes time to develop and learn. That is what he needs to do.

I am by no means 100% sold on the guy. What I am is encouraged by the play of a rookie who came into the starter's role halfway thorugh the season and had a ****ty offensive coordinator to deal with.

Dr. Lecter
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Scrambling is one thing I wish we would have allowed Losman to do more of. Hopefully Turk (unlike Fairchild) will call plays based on his players strengths.

They went way too far in controlling his "happy feet".

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM

That being said I'm happy to have him and I hope he lives up to his new position of starter.
the rookie excuse is as legit as the excuses that JP was set up to fail from day 1. Both valid.

The King
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
If Edwards struggles and Jauron pulls him in favor of whoever our #2 is at the time I will personally drive from Dallas to Orchard Park and ***** slap Jauron. The last thing we need is to **** up like we did with Losman and screw with a young QB's confidence.

I agree.

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM

The last time we made playoffs, we got there with a qb that constantly changed the plays at the LOS. Flutie. The guy was a walking playbook of busted plays.

I wish Flutie told JP "if your OC blows, go ahead and just play the game the way you know how to. You may lose your job for not being a good soldier but you lost it anyways for being one. I wasn't a good soldier, I was a cancer but hey, I got repsect. THis cancer saved the franchise from moving elswhere by not listening to the coaches who were just as dumb as Farichild and Mularkey."

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
No, I do not accept mediocrity. Please stop with that annoyinh comment. And, unless you are in the NFL or another sport your comparison is rather invalid. Yeah you do.....

Fact is if every team gave up on QB's after one year, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre and many other QBs would have not lasted more than a year. QB, in the NFL, is a position that with rare exception takes time to develop and learn. That is what he needs to do. Please do point out where I advocate giving up on him after one year? Actually less if you want to get technical.......

I am by no means 100% sold on the guy. What I am is encouraged by the play of a rookie who came into the starter's role halfway thorugh the season and had a ****ty offensive coordinator to deal with. The same coordinator Losman had to deal with? Please be more specific on what encourages you, I've watched every game he played at least ten times this off-season and I fail to see where I should be optimistic about much of anything. As of right now I still stand where I stood at the start of the season, I think we have one of the three worst QB's tandems in the NFL. Add the fact that we did little, if anything to improve our offense thus far this off-season and the forecast is gloomy at best right now. Please don't give me the crap about "well we have a long way to go before the start of the season." I'm more than aware that we have plenty of time to make moves, but as of right now we haven't so yeah.....

Tatonka
03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
The kid say's everything right. He sound's like a leader. Hopefully he can produce on the field.

i agree.. but jp said everything right too and sounded like a leader too.

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking......

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
a lot of good things were said about JP after 06. Big deal. Trent has to bring it or the same people who said good things about JP will flipflop.

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
a lot of good things were said about JP after 06. Big deal. Trent has to bring it or the same people who said good things about JP will flipflop.
Edwards, like all rookies gets three years.....

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

He may not have 3 years if we don't win. Dick will be gone and the next HC will want to bring in his own qb.

Mski
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Fact is if every team gave up on QB's after one year, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre and many other QBs would have not lasted more than a year. QB, in the NFL, is a position that with rare exception takes time to develop and learn. That is what he needs to do.

umm atlanta did give up on him after one year

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM

JP sounded like a moron in every interview I've seen him in.

As for Trent, thats why I said "Hopefully he can produce on the field".

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
JP sounded like a moron in every interview I've seen him in.

As for Trent, thats why I said "Hopefully he can produce on the field".
TD, you Edwards Licker....

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 11:34 AM

That depends. If he looks like he may get it then I can see giving him 3 years. If he looks clueless out there, like Losman, then this year will be enough.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
the rookie excuse is as legit as the excuses that JP was set up to fail from day 1. Both valid.

One is fact, the other is opinion.

gr8slayer
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
One is fact, the other is opinion.
Please, feel free to debunk the "opinion."

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Please, feel free to debunk the "opinion."

legit as the excuses that JP was set up to fail from day 1.

opinion

Everything was handed to JP.

He has no one to blame for his failures but himself.

If he produced, this Losman vs. Edwards thing would not exist.

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Everything was handed to JP..

:rofl: He beat holcomb. You have never been at camp, we all saw how Holcomb got his ass handed to him at camp.

He has no one to blame for his failures but himself..
did you know you're the only hater that thinks that? Well maybe a couple more. But majority agree
that Fairchild and Mularkey blows. Thats enough excuse.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
did you know you're the only hater that thinks that? Well maybe a couple more. But majority agree
that Fairchild and Mularkey blows. Thats enough excuse.

When working with medicore to below average talent any coach could blow. Bellicheck blew in Cleveland, in NE he looks great. The difference, talent. Talent can make any coach look good or look bad.

Other coaches Levy in KC, Levy in Buffalo...Marucci in SF, Marucci in Detroit...etc..

It's about talent.

acehole
03-26-2008, 12:20 PM

He was the 11th rated qb I believe THAT YEAR.

Lets see whee trent will be in his second playing season if he can stay healthy.

V

acehole
03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
When working with medicore to below average talent any coach could blow. Bellicheck blew in Cleveland, in NE he looks great. The difference, talent. Talent can make any coach look good or look bad.

Other coaches Levy in KC, Levy in Buffalo...Marucci in SF, Marucci in Detroit...etc..

It's about talent.

Funny Tackling dummy in one post you talk about talents around a coach making or breaking him....and in another when talking about JP ...you say is doesnt mater.

What say you?

TacklingDummy
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
One game against Miami doesn't equal many games. I know it's easy for you to accept mediocrity after almost a decade of losing but don't fall into the void. He played very well against Miami and did a decent job in a couple of other games but he was by no means "solid."

And JP's career has been built on Miami and Houston.

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM

It's about talent.

:rofl: Talent means nothing when that talent has no help . A coach is as stupid as the talent he has.

they both need each other in order to succeed. If you think otherwise, you know nothing.

BTW. you may be right. The Chargers were nothing until they brought in a 3rd rd pick (how ironic) named Brees and benched the talentless Flutie. :snicker: So whats your excuse now? Fltuie didn't have LT and Gates? You mean he didn't have any help just like JP disn't have any help? :tongue:

Andre Davis was here and as soon as he left he had a better career eslewhere under a different OC. So did Willis.

Donahoe had decent talent. Stupid coaches. The redskins always brought in talent. Still nothing.

ParanoidAndroid
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Why do the coaches prefer Edwards over JP? Do they think they have some sort of inside information or is it just a matter of uninformed choice?

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Why do the coaches prefer Edwards over JP? Do they think they have some sort of inside information or is it just a matter of uninformed choice?

Most HC coaches like bringing/drafting in their own people. TE is fresh, his head wasn't filled with malarkey.

acehole
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Most HC coaches like bringing/drafting in their own people. TE is fresh, his head wasn't filled with malarkey.

Not only that a coach will allways throw a player under the bus...as a scape goat. Why juron was up for coach of the Year with the worst rated offense and deffense is beyond me.....

shelby
03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Because Jauron kept the team going, even though the number of players on IR was in the double digits. No one expected this team to lose the Dallas game in the final minutes.

Some Bills fans may not like Dick, but the FO and the media do.

YardRat
03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
:rofl: Talent means nothing when that talent has no help . A coach is as stupid as the talent he has.

they both need each other in order to succeed. If you think otherwise, you know nothing.

BTW. you may be right. The Chargers were nothing until they brought in a 3rd rd pick (how ironic) named Brees and benched the talentless Flutie. :snicker: So whats your excuse now? Fltuie didn't have LT and Gates? You mean he didn't have any help just like JP disn't have any help? :tongue:

Andre Davis was here and as soon as he left he had a better career eslewhere under a different OC. So did Willis.

Donahoe had decent talent. Stupid coaches. The redskins always brought in talent. Still nothing.

Brees was the first pick in the second round of the draft, not a third-rounder.

evol4276
03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
im confused when has a rookie qb playing in a new area of the country ever performed at top form? jus cuz he's a bill doesnt mean it makes sense to jum down his throat all the time. man this is a confusing thing to some.

btw i think he played as good as one could expect in his first year, and he's classy as hell (he's a stanford boy, so its expected) and im excited to see how he progresses in his SECOND year

coastal
03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
he shaved?

not a good sign.

HHURRICANE
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I think Edwards will have a very good season if he gets some help at the WR position.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Awesome now those FG's need to turn into TD's..

acehole
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I think Edwards will have a very good season if he gets some help at the WR position.

If he gets some help....unbelievable.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Norv Truner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier? They are all considered by many to be good coaches or coordinators.

The Redskins never brought in QB talent. And that's one of the main reasons why they have sucked. Same as the Bills.

justasportsfan
03-27-2008, 10:54 AM
If he gets some help....unbelievable.
I thought he was already perfect.

justasportsfan
03-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Norv Truner, Steve Spurrier? They are all considered by many to be good coaches or coordinators.

The Redskins never brought in QB talent. And that's one of the reasons why they have sucked. Same as the Bills.
I wasn't only talking about them. Spurrier and co.

justasportsfan
03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Brees was the first pick in the second round of the draft, not a third-rounder.
My bad. Either ways, Flutie was benched by a kid.

justasportsfan
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
And that's one of the main reasons why they have sucked. Same as the Bills.I agree its ONE OF the reasons. They didn't bring in talent to help JP. Thank you. The other reason is bad coaching.

blackonyx89
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
No offense but he should've been here during the winter months outside throwing the football in the wind and snow better. Just an idea.

acehole
03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Because Jauron kept the team going, even though the number of players on IR was in the double digits. No one expected this team to lose the Dallas game in the final minutes.

Some Bills fans may not like Dick, but the FO and the media do.

I did not say I did not like him. Just questioned his Coach of the Year qualifications.

Funny how we give slack to dick for all of the Bills woes and nobody else get the same.

gr8slayer
03-28-2008, 08:13 AM
And JP's career has been built on Miami and Houston.
You're in denial about your man love for Edwards. Every time I bring up how bad Edwards is you can't help but bring up Losman.

djjimkelly
03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Glad to seee trent is in town working hard. That is the 1st sign of a leader... being here for the voluntaries.

I hope Trent looks awesome from the get go... It would be nice to see some impressive drives with the 1st unit in preseason for a change

that goes for JP people will follow JP before they follow trent

justasportsfan
03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
You're in denial about your man love for Edwards. Every time I bring up how bad Edwards is you can't help but bring up Losman.
WORD!