PDA

View Full Version : Is ice skating like roller blading???

Mitchell55
04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Listen. Im trying to start playing ice hockey on a team and I dont know how to ice skate. I havent tried it since I was 3. I am good on rollerblades so, how different and which one do you think is easier.

DMBcrew36
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Roller blading is easier. The motions are similar but they are very different. On ice you have 4 edges - one inside and one outside on each skate. It's about digging in with your edges. You can cut harder and change direction quicker than on wheels.

Being good on roller blades does not translate to ice. You need to go to a general skate at Pepsi or whatever rink is near you.

The King
04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Listen. Im trying to start playing ice hockey on a team and I dont know how to ice skate. I havent tried it since I was 3. I am good on rollerblades so, how different and which one do you think is easier.

You'll fall on your head a bit but in a few months you should have it down.

OpIv37
04-12-2008, 02:10 AM
good luck- I'm trying to make the same transition myself.

Mitchell55
04-12-2008, 11:14 PM
good luck- I'm trying to make the same transition myself.

Yeah. I tried football but was to small and couldnt tackle or fast. Tried basketball but was to small and was way better in practice then in game. Hockey is my final option. IN TEXAS!!!. Man, I just found a place to skate 4 days ago.

Mitchell55
04-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Roller blading is easier. The motions are similar but they are very different. On ice you have 4 edges - one inside and one outside on each skate. It's about digging in with your edges. You can cut harder and change direction quicker than on wheels.

Being good on roller blades does not translate to ice. You need to go to a general skate at Pepsi or whatever rink is near you.

Thanks alot.

Meathead
04-13-2008, 10:21 AM
ive been ice skating so long i think its easier than blading but that might not hold for a newbie

seems to me that stopping may be the hardest transition since you dont make that motion on blades. but if you can ski and can stop properly there then you should have no problem with a skate stop. considering youre in texas im going to bet thats a no