PDA

View Full Version : In an otherwise solid draft, I really wish we would have made a move for...

BigGabes23
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
I really like this kid, and think he was the best overall TE in the Draft. I would have Traded a 3rd and a fifth to move up in front of Dallas.

On the otherhand, with this draft and offseason, I think we now have one of the best defenses in the AFC.

trapezeus
04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
what team took him instead?

hydro
04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
what team took him instead?

Dallas took Bennett in the second.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2008, 08:46 AM
I really like this kid, and think he was the best overall TE in the Draft.
You and me both, and a whole bunch of other Zoners. Our failure to get an athletic, pass catching TE was a real disappointment to me. Derek Fine might be fine, but I don't think he'll be Bennett.

HHURRICANE
04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
You and me both, and a whole bunch of other Zoners. Our failure to get an athletic, pass catching TE was a real disappointment to me. Derek Fine might be fine, but I don't think he'll be Bennett.

Why did we let Gaines walk? Is Fine really an upgrade at 6' 3" and he can't block very well?

alohabillsfan
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Why did we let Gaines walk? Is Fine really an upgrade at 6' 3" and he can't block very well?

Gaines was not a blocker, from what I have read Fine is an decent blocker.

colin
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
fine is a very good physical specimen, really stood out at the combine.

i think the bills just want a TE to play special teams, learn the position, and make the odd play. project TEs have a very high bust rate and we are better off IMO with the big wr and taking a 4th round flyer on fine.

don137
04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Who is to say Buffalo was not hoping to get him in the 3rd. Often time the guy you want gets taken before it there turn. Whose to say they did not try to trade up.
Who am I to complain. They got the best DB in the league and addressed the WR position in a 'big' way.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Gaines got a 4 year, $10 million contract from Detroit.

Tatonka
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
if fine turned out to be cooley or a similar type player, would everyone be happy with that? cooley is not a down the field threat either.

im just wondering.

hydro
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Wow I didn't know he got that much. Funny how every moans about not resigning him but if we would have signed him right away for that much everyone would be moaning anyway.

Saratoga Slim
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
if fine turned out to be cooley or a similar type player, would everyone be happy with that? cooley is not a down the field threat either.

im just wondering.

My thoughts exactly Tatonka. "Stretch the field" means have a few guys who can get off the line fast, get deep, and thereby create a much larger area for the defensive secondary to cover. the goal is that by doing so there are holes in the coverage underneath.

I think Lee, Roscoe, and even Hardy (4.47) have ample speed to accomplish that, we don't necessarily need the TE to do it. What we need the TE to do is to be an intuitive receiver with soft hands that knows how to get open in the 5-15 yard range, to take advantage of the space created by Lee and Roscoe running 40 yard stretch plays downfield. We don't need a TE with blazing speed, just quick and smart enough to find space and catch the dmn ball.

I don't see any reason to dismiss Derek Fine's ability to be that guy for us at this point. Would I have liked to see a sexier pick like Bennett at TE? Absolutely. I'm not pumped up by the selection of Fine, but I'm not about to say he was a bad pick at this point. I think our first 3 picks addressed more critical needs, and the TE talent was thin by the time we got to the 4th.

Scumbag College
04-28-2008, 10:42 AM

:wtf:

Detroit continues to baffle the mind.

Tatonka
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
jaybird is a kansas fan i think and i am dying to know what he thinks of fine.

i am just wondering what the front office was trying to do. they may have very well said, we got hardy.. there is our big tall redzone threat.. we have teyo and anderson who are both very tall..

i would have loved an antonia gates.. so would everyone in the league.. just didnt happen, but we may have found a jay remersma.. which would be fine too.

The Spaz
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
jaybird is a kansas fan i think and i am dying to know what he thinks of fine.

i am just wondering what the front office was trying to do. they may have very well said, we got hardy.. there is our big tall redzone threat.. we have teyo and anderson who are both very tall..

i would have loved an antonia gates.. so would everyone in the league.. just didnt happen, but we may have found a jay remersma.. which would be fine too.

Think of this as well. 2 TE sets near the goal line with Teyo who is 6'6" Anderson 6'6" and Hardy who is 6'6"!:rockon:

Bruce is Loose
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I really like this kid, and think he was the best overall TE in the Draft. I would have Traded a 3rd and a fifth to move up in front of Dallas.

On the otherhand, with this draft and offseason, I think we now have one of the best defenses in the AFC.

Was we make subtitles appear once you open the tread? It doesnt happen now and has gotton me more than once...
On this one I missed the subtitle and had no clue who was being talked about