PDA

View Full Version : Pasquarelli: Bills looking hard at CB, will be difficult to keep Winfield

Romes
04-18-2003, 07:50 PM
The conventional wisdom has the Buffalo Bills choosing a defensive lineman, preferably an end, with their first-round draft choice. But the club is also looking hard at the cornerback spot. Always cognizant of what is upcoming for his team, general manager Tom Donahoe knows that current starting corner Antoine Winfield is eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2003 campaign. And the feeling on the part of some Bills officials is that Winfield, given the spiraling rate of cornerback contracts, could be difficult to retain. Thus the interest in perhaps adding a quality corner in the draft and, quite possibly, even in the first round.

I really want Winfield to stay but this would be very similair to the tactic TD used when he drafted Josh Read. Thus I wouldn't be suprised if this happened.

Could someone name the CBs that are projected for the first 2 rounds?

The_Philster
04-18-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm hoping that they get Antoine an extension soon but according to Shout! Newspaper, these are the projected 1st and 2nd rounders at CB
Terance Newman, Kansas St
Marcus Trufant, Washington St
Andre Woolfork, Oklahoma
Eugene Wilson, Illinois
Dennis Weathersby, Oregon St

Schobel94
04-18-2003, 08:20 PM
C'mon, he's never made the probowl, and he's never had a spectacular season, how much could he want? I say keep him at any cost. It's not like with Price where we already have a probowl reciever. Winfields the best we got, he's like Moulds, we need him.

venis2k1
04-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Clements is better than Winfeild IMO, but none the less...IF Winfeild gets signed to an extention dont expect it to happen before the draft...You never know who is gonna be on the board when our pick comes around.

Schobel94
04-18-2003, 08:29 PM
I dont know if Clements is better than Winfield. Winfield's pretty good. Regardless, we really really need to keep him. Geeze, everytime there's a FA he seems to just want to leave, don't let him get away TD! We have good cap space and he's the only major FA next year! I trust TD, he's a great GM.

The Natrix
04-18-2003, 08:30 PM
He does not deserve a huge contract. If TD's offer isn't good enough, I say don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Clements is more valuable to this team.

Drafting a CB #1 or #2 is a great idea.

Romes
04-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Regardless, we really really need to keep him.

Thats just the thing. We draft a CB early so we don't need to keep him next year. Don't get me wrong I want him back too. But if he is gonna ask for to much money we need to protect ourselves.

The Natrix
04-18-2003, 08:36 PM
At this point, they are about equal. However, that says a lot about Clements since he has only been in the league for two years.

The Natrix
04-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Exactly Romes we don't NEED to re-sign him. I think this franchise has some great talent evaluators and I would be pretty confident that a #1 CB pick or even a #2 would pan out. The Rookie contract would obviously be less than Winfields new one so the money could be spent elsewhere, maybe a star DE or FS. Besides, with how great Clements will be after this season, just an average CB opposite Nate will do.

casdhf
04-19-2003, 09:27 AM
We still have a franchise tag don't we?

Schobel94
04-19-2003, 09:46 AM
So everytime someone's contract is up just draft a new person to take his place? We have other needs, I dont think we should draft a CB in the first couple rounds. Keep Winfield!

Stewie
04-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Who else comes up for FA CB next year?

If he's near the top of the class he's gone.. Look at what Detroit paid Dre Bly.

If there's any other good db's that come up.. maybe guys that get more picks, his price will come down a bit and we can keep him

Romes
04-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Yes Cas, we still have the franchise tag.

Originally posted by Schobel94
So everytime someone's contract is up just draft a new person to take his place? We have other needs, I dont think we should draft a CB in the first couple rounds. Keep Winfield!

No, we don't draft someone that can take his place we draft someone that can fill that role in case he leaves. If he doesn't go, great then we have 3 good/great CB. The great thing about TD is he just doesn't look at what our needs are this year but what our needs will be next year, that is genious.

Schobel you must remember Winfield will be unrestricted that means unless we tag him, he can choose where ever he wants to play. You act as if we can garuantee that he will be back next year. Well, that is not the case, insurance is a good thing my friend.

Schobel94
04-19-2003, 11:28 AM
We have CB's out the yinyang, good young ones too that might develop very well. Keep Winfield!

Dozerdog
04-19-2003, 11:40 AM
One other thing as well-

Everyone gets juiced because we can afford guys like Spikes, Adams, Gash, you name it.

The Bills can afford to do this because if you look at the starters on this team, only Moulds, Teague, Reuben Brown, Spikes, and Fletcher are getting paid Market or above market- price.

Bledsoe is a steal at 5 Million a season (that's what RJ and Fiedler were making) and your best players (Henry,Reed, Winfield, Clements, Jennings, Schoebel, Wire ) are all making rookie contract wages- under $1 million.

So, when a Peerless Price comes along, and you know he will get a good buck the following season, you can draft his replacement and groom him (Reed) and not only free up the money you were going to pay him, but get something in return.

There is no way the Bills will be able to retain all of the players mentioned above, especially if they continue to improve or if we go to the Super Bowl . Now is the time to plan ahead.

The Natrix
04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
He will probably go to the Falcons

Romes
04-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Keyword: might

We have Clements, Winfield, Sidney, and Thomas as our top 4 in no particular order. Those are the only 4 I'd be comfortable with on the field come sunday. Both Winfield and Sidney will be UFA next year. Who would you want filling their roles if they leave? Ahmad Brooks? Jason Bostic? Even if Sidney stays, there is no one on our roster right now that I would feel comfortable with in Winfield's role.

For the 3rd time I'm with you on keeping Winfield. By drafting a CB early it by no means signals that Winfield will be gone. This is not about finding a replacement for Winfield but getting insurance in case he chooses to go.

pmoon6
04-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Winfield will be extended after the draft IMHO.

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 01:38 PM
winfield will be gone.. i have no doubt.. i hope i am wrong.. but i really have this feeling that we take a cb early and that is that..

dont forget sammy davis? i think he is from texas or something.. but he has been moving up.. second round guy i think.

Captain gameboy
04-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
One other thing as well-
The Bills can afford to do this because if you look at the starters on this team, only Moulds, Teague, Reuben Brown, Spikes, and Fletcher are getting paid Market or above market- price.

Bledsoe is a steal at 5 Million a season (that's what RJ and Fiedler were making) and your best players (Henry,Reed, Winfield, Clements, Jennings, Schoebel, Wire ) are all making rookie contract wages- under $1 million.

I agree Doze, with the exception of Big Mike who is getting pretty handsome $ for a RT. Too early to tell his true value.

Regardless, I'd be stunned if we didn't draft a CB in one of the first three rounds as both leverage and insurance.

It's interesting that CB is one of those positions that college performance and resume is not a clear indicator of pro performance. There might be a steal in the draft at this position for the organizations that do the best scouting/player evals.

colin
04-19-2003, 07:04 PM
My take is this: You pay big money for a big time player, always look for the best value, and let good but not great ones go if they want too much.

In the NFL, the rare super players are worth the dough, but if you pull a Butler and overpay just cuz a player did well for you or is a fan favorite, you will run out of cash and have to let potentially great players go (we know what that is like, keeping schmoes for what we could have paid the top dudes). So Winfield is a great player for our team, if he is at the right price. Clements has shown tons more game breaking ability in just two years on crappy Ds, Antoine is good, and I am a fan of his, but he CAN be replaced.

TD will make the right call.

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by gameboy

It's interesting that CB is one of those positions that college performance and resume is not a clear indicator of pro performance. There might be a steal in the draft at this position for the organizations that do the best scouting/player evals.

like kevin thomas?

it seems to me that we also have sidney who showed a lot of potential in tennesse before getting hurt, and was thought to be a starter in 2001 going into the season.. and we also have seen solid playmaking performances by thomas at the end of the season, which was really the only opportunity that he got all season..

so i guess, we never know the more i think about it.. the staff may have enough confidence in one or both of those guys that they may not feel that they need to go after a cb high.. who knows with these guys..

it really just comes down to what kind of value they get when it is their pick.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-20-2003, 06:57 PM
I've been saying for months now that we should take a CB in round 1 or 2 and everybody laughed and said there was no possible way we would think about it. Now that TD is looking for a CB for the same reasons I explained, most people thinks it a good move now. :rofl:

The Natrix
04-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
everybody laughed

I didn't laugh. Are you saying I'm not a somebody?

F Winfield if he doesn't want to play for what he is worth. Clements is nasty, which is obvious so just a decent CB opposite Nate will do. I like Winfiled, but if he doesn't want to play for what he is worth (a good corner, not a great corner, see int total) then he can go enjoy playing for the Cards or Bengals. If you think the Bills need Winfield to win a SB then I suggest you log back on to homedecorating.com.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

I didn't laugh. Are you saying I'm not a somebody?

F Winfield if he doesn't want to play for what he is worth. Clements is nasty, which is obvious so just a decent CB opposite Nate will do. I like Winfiled, but if he doesn't want to play for what he is worth (a good corner, not a great corner, see int total) then he can go enjoy playing for the Cards or Bengals. If you think the Bills need Winfield to win a SB then I suggest you log back on to homedecorating.com.

I should've said most people. You know what I mean :D

I remember you being a supporter of it too. There was only a couple of us.

Even if we keep Winfield we would have 3 great CB's which is critical in the today's NFL. The 3rd CB gets almost as much playing time as most other positions.

The Natrix
04-20-2003, 08:11 PM
As far as the short run goes, I think taking a DE with the #1 would be a mistake. I say CB, WR or a TE (but only a play making one, Cambell and Moore are sufficent blocking/all around TEs.) However, I would not complain about any pick unless he was a QB/RB/LB/P/K. Even another monster OLman would be fine with me.