PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills should trade for Shockey

YardRat
06-12-2008, 05:20 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/SPORTS0101/806120337/-1/COLUMNS

Shockey for Buffalo's first-round pick in the 2009 NFL college draft.

Shockey suffered a broken leg in the 14th game of the 2007 regular season and the team went on to win Super Bowl XLII without him. He has been pouting and distancing himself from the team ever since.

Shockey is an outspoken and fiery player. He'd bring enthusiasm, talent and star power to the Bills. He'd like to make at least 75 catches per season and Buffalo has been lacking a tight end like that for a long time.

The Bills are going to be decent in 2008 and Shockey would make them better. It is reasonable to project that Buffalo's first-round pick in 2009 would be in the No. 15 to No. 18 range.

I believe Shockey would be worth that price to the Bills this season.

Well, I don't.

Night Train
06-12-2008, 05:29 AM
I don't think I've ever agreed with one idea from Bob Matthews.

I firmly believe he's insane.

Dujek
06-12-2008, 05:59 AM
That's just crazy talk.

He'd be a disruptive infuence in the locker room, and could destroy a young QB.

Jan Reimers
06-12-2008, 06:02 AM
If Shockey could keep his mouth shut and not be a distraction, I think he could help us.

But for a FIRST ROUND PICK? As NT said, insane.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Another problem would arise if he wants a new deal once traded.

The Bills already have 3 players what want/deserve/need new deals. Why add a 4th?

jmb1099
06-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Not to mentione local news here reports that he isn't at camp because he's "injured"

YardRat
06-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Dude is talented, but he carries too much baggage and isn't worth a first.

I don't think it's coincidence that Manning started to perform better after Shockey was out of the line-up. The TE obviously isn't the sole factor, but he was part of it.

patmoran2006
06-12-2008, 06:31 AM
As much as I would love to upgrade the TE position, and I love big names (I think they generate excitement to the city).. Even I wouldn't make this trade.

I actually agree with Lecter. We have Peters, Evans and Crowell to lock up. We dont need a 4th contract problem.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2008, 07:23 AM
There is no doubting Shockey's talent, he can have a dramatic impact in an offense. If healthy, he might be worth giving up a first round pick (assuming it isn't in the top-half of the round.

However, how can you justify giving up a 1st given the guys injury history? Shockey has been in the NFL 6 years and has never played a full season. Granted, he has come close, but even when he plays he is perpetually nursing some sort of injury. Those injuries add up, and as he gets older it is doubtful it will get better. The cumulative effect likely will effect his play at some point.

I think Shockey's attitude issues are overblown. The guy is a competitor and, while he has a big mouth, he produces. However, you can't justify giving up a 1st for the guy given the injury history/risk.

don137
06-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Injury prone and a cancer...No matter the talent let him be someone else's baggage.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 07:52 AM
:meh: maybe

OpIv37
06-12-2008, 07:55 AM
We don't need any more Miami trash.

Shockey is definitely better than any TE on our roster, but he's completely overrated. He's always injured and basically skates off one or two monster games a season. The rest of the time, he's either hurt or just ineffectual.

Plus, he's a loudmouth and would be a huge distraction if Trent struggles to get him the ball.

No thanks- definitely not for a first.

jdbillsfan
06-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I think an unknown first is too much. Buffalo could be anywhere from in the top 10 to 25.

I would do it for a 2nd though.

Bill Brasky
06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
He'd be a disruptive infuence in the locker room

half the team could be thrown into that category, and we're not even to training camp yet.

yordad
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I think the Bills should try to make a deal for our Second pick. No doubt. In fact, I think he could be the missing link. With him on this team, the Bills would have no excuses on offense.

Are there others I would rather have. Yes. Any available? No.

Jeff1220
06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
No way for a 1st. I'd trade a second for Shockey + a later round pick (preferably a 5). He'd be a good addition to the team...since it seems the whole good character thing is history, we might as well embrace the direction of team and load up on talent despite questionable character (half serious/half sarcasm).

Bill Brasky
06-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I think the Bills should try to make a deal for our Second pick. No doubt. In fact, I think he could be the missing link. With him on this team, the Bills would have no excuses on offense.

Are there others I would rather have. Yes. Any available? No.

let's not put all of our trust into Trent Edwards yet. he showed a lot of promise, but he still has a lot to prove.

PromoTheRobot
06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Dude is talented, but he carries too much baggage and isn't worth a first.

I don't think it's coincidence that Manning started to perform better after Shockey was out of the line-up. The TE obviously isn't the sole factor, but he was part of it.
Shockey is so scary good that the Giants were even better and won a SB without him. And they are barely lifting a finger to keep him. Yes Bob, this is the kind of player you trade #1's for. Matthews = tool.

PTR

justasportsfan
06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
we need to lock up our players first before we start looking outside.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I like the idea of trading for Shockey but not at the cost of what Matthews suggested.

Plus I wouldn't do it till after Evans, Peters, and Crowell are figured out.

dannyek71
06-12-2008, 09:03 AM
1st round is WAY to high. Moss was only worth a 4th.

Bill Brasky
06-12-2008, 09:17 AM
1st round is WAY to high. Moss was only worth a 4th.

yeah, but Javon Walker is worth 55 million. the nfl makes no sense.

strike that. al davis is a moron.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
yeah, but Javon Walker is worth 55 million. the nfl makes no sense.

strike that. al davis is a moron.
Yup, anytime you are down on Ralph Wilson all you have to do is look at Al Davis.

ParanoidAndroid
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
He's worth a 3rd at best. If we use a 1st on a TE, it should be used to pick Travis Beckum.

feelthepain
06-12-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/SPORTS0101/806120337/-1/COLUMNS

Shockey suffered a broken leg in the 14th game of the 2007 regular season and the team went on to win Super Bowl XLII without him. He has been pouting and distancing himself from the team ever since.

Shockey is an outspoken and fiery player. He'd bring enthusiasm, talent and star power to the Bills. He'd like to make at least 75 catches per season and Buffalo has been lacking a tight end like that for a long time.

The Bills are going to be decent in 2008 and Shockey would make them better. It is reasonable to project that Buffalo's first-round pick in 2009 would be in the No. 15 to No. 18 range.

Well, I don't.

I just wonder where the Bills will get the money Shockey is going to want?!

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I just wonder where the Bills will get the money Shockey is going to want?!
Dur, wE haVe a Lotz of moneyz underz dur cap Napoleon.

yordad
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
let's not put all of our trust into Trent Edwards yet. he showed a lot of promise, but he still has a lot to prove.LOL, that is the first time someone told me that.

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Why trade a first rounder for an injury prone TE with not to many seasons left?

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Yup, I agree 100%

feelthepain
06-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Dur, wE haVe a Lotz of moneyz underz dur cap Napoleon.

You can't possibly be this stupid!

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
You can't possibly be this stupid!
:snicker: I'm not sure he/she caught it...

Or do you mean stupid like professing your love for Daunte Culpepper for all the world to see on the internet?

PromoTheRobot
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Not to mention a classic me-first player who hasn't done jack since his rookie year. Shockey is more hype than help.

PTR

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Not to mention a classic me-first player who hasn't done jack since his rookie year. Shockey is more hype than help.

PTR
You're correct to a point but there's no denying that he's still a top five TE and gives DC's nightmares. He kills Roy Williams like no other.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
You're correct to a point but there's no denying that he's still a top five TE and gives DC's nightmares. He kills Roy Williams like no other.

Who doesn't kill Roy Williams?

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Who doesn't kill Roy Williams?
Give me a few years and I'll get back to you with an answer.

PECKERWOOD
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
A 2nd and a 4th round pick would be a fair deal, imo.

The Answer
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Well, I don't.

I would do it but not for a 1st rounder - at this point Shockey is worth no more than a 2nd rounder, or perhaps a conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a 1st if he has a pro bowl campaign.

~The Answer

LifetimeBillsFan
06-13-2008, 05:29 AM
With Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin, likely to still be sitting on the board whenever the Bills pick in the first round of next year's draft there is NO WAY that I would give up a 1st round pick for Shockey.

Shockey is still recovering from his broken leg. He has spent the entire time he has been at the NY Giants' mini-camp in the trainers' room rehabbing.

The Giants had to threaten Shockey to even get him to show up at the mini-camp at all.

A big bone of contention between the Giants and Shockey has been the fact that Shockey never attends any of the offseason workouts or attends the voluntary OTAs. This year he did not even participate in the post-Super Bowl parade or show up for the ceremony when they got their SB rings (K.Mitchell, amongst others, took the day off from the OTAs in Buffalo to attend).

When E.Manning begged Shockey and Burress to come in during the offseason two years ago to work with him on timing, Burress ultimately did show up for a couple of weeks. Shockey didn't. Prior to last season, Shockey ultimately did show up for a couple of days, but left. He had not been seen at any Giants' function since the end of last season before finally showing up at mini-camp after the Giants management called him out in the media and promised to fine him if he didn't show up.

There is a reason why the NY Daily News and other NYC area media have been saying that the Giants should trade Shockey: for all of his ability, he has been injury prone and completely isolated himself from his teammates.

Why would the Bills want that kind of player on their team--at the cost of a # 1 draft pick--at this point? Especially when they can get a younger, healthier, more athletic version of Shockey with that draft pick?

Having an athletic TE would be a nice addition to the Bills' offense. But, having an athletic TE is not essential to having an effective offense. That type of player is kind of like the cherry on top of the sundae--the kind of player that takes a team that is already a solid playoff team to the elite level, but not necessarily the kind that makes a team trying to become a solid playoff team that much better (ie V.Davis, even T.Gonzales).

IMHO, the Bills would be much better off holding onto their draft picks and solidifying what they have this season, then, adding a TE like Beckum in next year's draft than trading for a talented, but injury-prone, "It's-all-about-ME", type player who they will have to over-pay just to get to come to Buffalo.

gr8slayer
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Jeremy Shockey and Giants GM Jerry Reese reportedly got into a shouting match at the team's minicamp on Friday.
The exact details of the argument are unclear, but Shockey's agent Drew Rosenhaus was asked if Shockey wants to return to the team and said: "I don’t specifically have a way to address that at this time because Jeremy’s been very adamant about avoiding any public discussion about a situation... We are talking to the team about some of the issues that exist and we hope to get that resolved."

Al the Bills Fan
06-14-2008, 01:04 AM
This team is already wounded from the ..... well, you know. Bringing in Shockey on top of that would be the death blow. I live in Big Blue Country (it sucks I know) and can tell you that this guy is a teams worst nightmire in regards to throwing his teammates under the bus to the media week in and week out. NO THANKS!!!

TacklingDummy
06-14-2008, 06:16 AM
I like the idea of trading for Shockey but not at the cost of what Matthews suggested.

Plus I wouldn't do it till after Evans, Peters, and Crowell are figured out.

They already are figured out.

Evans: History
Peters: 3 years left on contract, plus 2 tag years. If he doesn't like it, sucks to be him.
Crowell: Will be resigned.

If the Bills can get Shockey for a 2nd round pick they should do it.

Luisito23
06-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I could care less if Evans leave, people here overrate him too much, he only has one attribute and that is speed....Break the bank for a one dimensional wideout??....Yeah right....Peters though is another story.

njsue
06-15-2008, 07:10 AM
No way. Jeremy Shockey is a jerk.

Marvelous
06-16-2008, 03:30 AM
1st round pick on any TE is crap...Crap crap crap...
--I was soooo scared we we're gonna get screwed by drafting Vernon Davis or Kellin Winsloow etc...

We need a TE bad no doubt, but not at the expense of skilled positions...I love Shockey too btw. H'e been somewhat of the great white hope for years now, but i like our young homegrown team...Schouman is tearing it up BTW

mysticsoto
06-16-2008, 09:33 AM
An update on Shockey's situation:

Jeremy Shockey reportedly had a huge shouting match with general manager Jerry Reese this week, perhaps the prelude to the Giants finally cutting ties with their tight end.

Shockey remained secluded Friday, the final day of the team’s mandatory minicamp, leaving Giants Stadium before the morning practice ended. Reports later surfaced he and Reese had an animated argument, apparently over some points the tight end listed Saturday as reasons for his unrest.

One was the Giants’ insistence he watch Super Bowl XLII from co-owner Steve Tisch’s luxury box instead of from the sidelines. More important, however, was Shockey’s claim the Giants spread the rumors of his off-season unrest in hopes of drumming up trade interest.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Shockey_and_Giants_GM_in_shouting_match.html