PDA

View Full Version : Bills Will Use Their Fullback

patmoran2006
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/SPORTS03/807310336/tbd

PITTSFORD — Turk Schonert wasn't the Buffalo Bills' offensive coordinator last season and therefore didn't have the proper authority to stand up and question the philosophy of Steve Fairchild.

So all year long the quarterbacks coach bit his lip and went along with the premise that using tight ends as fullbacks was a good idea, even though he wasn't on board with the ideology.

"I've always been around offenses with fullbacks; I like them back there," Schonert said recently following a training camp practice at St. John Fisher College.
That point was hammered home the day Schonert was promoted to replace Fairchild, who left Buffalo to become the head coach at Colorado State.

One of the first things the former NFL quarterback and longtime assistant coach said back in January was the Bills would be going back to a traditional two-back set for their base offense, utilizing a true fullback.

mchurchfie
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Smashmouth, I like it:punk:

SABURZFAN
07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
we need a FB to emerge and be part of the offense. kind of like the way Jim Braxton used to be.

Bruce is Loose
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
To bad he didnt have the balls to say something last year.... I wouldnt think that expressing a differing opinion is a bad thing

Jan Reimers
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I love a big, smashmouth type of FB that can block like Hell and catch the occasional pass. Braxton and Gash are two of my favorite Bills.

patmoran2006
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I love using a fullback..

I dont love Barnes

OpIv37
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Remember when we traded Centers for Gash to utilize the FB in the offense more? How'd that work out?

Yes, I know, different coaching staff, different offensive philosphy, etc.

Still, we've heard this before and I'll believe it when I see it.

madness
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Take that, sliced bread!

OpIv37
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
I love a big, smashmouth type of FB that can block like Hell and catch the occasional pass. Braxton and Gash are two of my favorite Bills.

as much as I hated that stupid offense we had when Gash was here, I loved it when they'd throw him the ball in the flats because the guy that tried to tackle him frequently got injured. There was nothing better than watching an opposing CB try to plow Gash only to end up sprawled out on the turf with a concussion.

madness
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Remember when we traded Centers for Gash to utilize the FB in the offense more? How'd that work out?

Yes, I know, different coaching staff, different offensive philosphy, etc.

Still, we've heard this before and I'll believe it when I see it.

Both offenses were still better than last year's O and could manage to get into the end zone when near the goal line.

Thurmal
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I always thought Centers, though not a traditional blocking fullback, played great while he was in Buffalo. It seemed like any pass in the flat to him was good for at least five, six yards.

X-Era
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/SPORTS03/807310336/tbd

PITTSFORD — Turk Schonert wasn't the Buffalo Bills' offensive coordinator last season and therefore didn't have the proper authority to stand up and question the philosophy of Steve Fairchild.

So all year long the quarterbacks coach bit his lip and went along with the premise that using tight ends as fullbacks was a good idea, even though he wasn't on board with the ideology.

"I've always been around offenses with fullbacks; I like them back there," Schonert said recently following a training camp practice at St. John Fisher College.
That point was hammered home the day Schonert was promoted to replace Fairchild, who left Buffalo to become the head coach at Colorado State.

One of the first things the former NFL quarterback and longtime assistant coach said back in January was the Bills would be going back to a traditional two-back set for their base offense, utilizing a true fullback.

Im praying it doesnt telecast our plays too much. I remember shuttering when Antwan Smith and Sam Gash? (I think). Would go in on 1st and 2nd down then come out on 3rd. It became so that you knew we were running when they were in there. I hope we dont make it too obvious.

X-Era
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I love using a fullback..

I dont love Barnes

I wish we would have drafted one.

madness
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I wish we would have drafted one.

Would there have been anyone out of college that could have beaten Barnes out for the job? Not exactly a postion you'd want to stick a rookie.

Confused
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I am SOOOOO glad we drafted a fullback this year. wait...........

X-Era
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Would there have been anyone out of college that could have beaten Barnes out for the job? Not exactly a postion you'd want to stick a rookie.

Dont agree, Schmitt was a flat out stud blocker, Jacob Hester isd another very good looking prospect.

What happens if Barnes gets injured? Were back to last year with TE's acting like FB's

madness
07-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Dont agree, Schmitt was a flat out stud blocker, Jacob Hester isd another very good looking prospect.

What happens if Barnes gets injured? Were back to last year with TE's acting like FB's

I believe we have another FB on the roster. If you meant drafting one to back up Barnes, I totally agree. I took it as we didn't need Barnes if we drafted one.

DrGraves
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
how do you use a two back set when you dont have a fullback on your roster?

OpIv37
07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
how do you use a two back set when you dont have a fullback on your roster?

a two back set doesn't have to be a FB/RB combo. You can use two RB's, a TE/RB or a WR/RB. Mularkey used to run a direct snap play to "Fast Freddie" Smith that had him and an RB in the backfield. Last year we used all of our TE's with Marshawn in the back field at different times.

You can't do a power formation 2 back set without a FB (at least not an effective one) but there are plenty of 2 back formations that don't require a FB.

Mad Bomber
07-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Gardner as well.

Philagape
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
as much as I hated that stupid offense we had when Gash was here, I loved it when they'd throw him the ball in the flats because the guy that tried to tackle him frequently got injured. There was nothing better than watching an opposing CB try to plow Gash only to end up sprawled out on the turf with a concussion.

I was at the game against the Pats where he scored the long TD down the sideline, bowling over anyone who got in his way. I was in the end zone looking directly down that very sideline, so it was a perfect view. Beautiful sight.

I heart fullbacks. Good ones, anyway.

DrGraves
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
opiv... i see what you're saying, but dont you need a regular fb and not tiny fred jackson for traditional fb roles like lead blocking?

OpIv37
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
opiv... i see what you're saying, but dont you need a regular fb and not tiny fred jackson for traditional fb roles like lead blocking?

Well let's put it this way.

Not all 2 back sets require a fulback.

However, a fullback is needed for lead blocking and power formations (ie short yardage).

So, even if we don't have a true FB on the roster, we'll still see 2 back sets. However, it would be stupid to go into the season without a true FB for other reasons.