PDA

View Full Version : 1 person I bet we will interview. Would you like him?

Mitchell55
12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
James Lofton almost coached I think Oakland last year, so he is looking for a HC job. Would you look at him or maybe try to get him in the staff?

jamze132
12-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Dick is still the coach.

But if Ralphie did fire Dick, the only reason Lofton would be interviewed would be to satisfy the Rooney Rule. But he can just interview Fewell for that.

I do not want James Lofton as the HC of the Buffalo Bills.

User Manuel
12-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Why not.

DraftBoy
12-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Lofton has a good rep, I wouldn't mind bringing him at this point, but maybe as an OC over HC so far. He is currently the WR coach in Oakland.

OpIv37
12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Lofton is not ready for a HC position. He could be someday, if he gets some experience as a cooridnator, but not yet.

The only reason his name comes up for HC vacancies is because of the Rooney Rule. The rule was intended to help people in his position, but ironically all it did was set up a bunch of farce interviews for him.

TheMan08
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
isn't a form of affirmitive action? The Roony Rule

OpIv37
12-30-2008, 08:51 AM
isn't a form of affirmitive action? The Roony Rule

it's not affirmative action per se because affirmative action has to do with actually hiring people who are minorities. The Rooney Rule is only about interviewing and there is no NFL-wide policy about affirmative action hiring for head coaches. But, it stems from the same mindset as affirmative action.

I'm not opposed to trying to get more minorities into the HC ranks, especially considering the number of players that are black and the minorities that have been successful at lower levels of coaching. They are definitely underrepresented has HC's. But the Rooney Rule is a joke and it seems everyone except the NFL's corporate headquarters knows it.

historypete
12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Lofton is not ready for a HC position. He could be someday, if he gets some experience as a cooridnator, but not yet.

The only reason his name comes up for HC vacancies is because of the Rooney Rule. The rule was intended to help people in his position, but ironically all it did was set up a bunch of farce interviews for him.

I'm not so sure OP. Singletary was only the LB coach out in SanFran and look what he did. I think he'd be a solid OC for us, but I wouldn't completely rule out HC. I would prefer another person with solid coordinator experience before Lofton though.

TigerJ
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Lofton is a personable guy. I know next to nothing about his coaching experience and readiness to be a head coach. I suspect he could use some more seasoning. I also know nothing about his football intelligence. That would have to be more clear before Icould openly support him as a coaching candidate.