PDA

View Full Version : Lil' Chris Brown Does It Again

topher180
12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Here is one of Chris Brown's latest blog entries, responding to the announcement made yesterday regarding Dick Jauron.

Jauron likely has 2009 to make it happen (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/12/30/jauron-likely-has-2009-to-make-it-happen/)

By Chris Brown - Posted December 30th, 2008
While the retention of Dick Jauron as head coach may not go over well publicly, fans needs to keep in mind that 2009 will likely be the make or break year.
Jauron and his coaches likely know they dodged a bullet. They likely also recognize that if the playoffs are not reached in 2009 they won’t be so fortunate the second time around.

That sense of urgency hopefully comes from the top from the very first day this team re-assembles in March for the offseason workout program. If that sense of urgency can trickle down to the players perhaps more consistent play will be the result week to week.

I also wonder since offensive game management was mentioned specifically in Mr. Wilson’s statement and that they would be addressed, if Jauron won’t enlist a staff member to assist only with game and clock management. It may sound unusual, but why not give it a shot?

Okay Chris, so in a leauge where coaches are fired during the season, a league where Mike freaking Shanahan who's actually won in this league gets fired, a league where Eric Mangini is expendable after 3 seasons despite making the playoffs......Dick Jauron and his staff get extended and the fourth season is the make or break year? Are you kidding me. As far as the 3rd paragraph, do you mean like personal assistant? Should this proposed staff member carry the red flags in his pocket too?

You are a disgrace to anyone who has ever written a column and been called a journalist. You are a paid cheerleader for the Bills orginization and are as much part of the media as I am sitting in front of my computer. If you want to post slanted news on an official website, go talk to the webmaster and have him show you how. The title journalist should not be withing 50 words of your name in any byline.

Thank you.

billsfanone
12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Gee wiz. All we have to wait is one more year. Goodie!!!!

FU Chris Brown.

Talk about the Jills or charitable work or something else if you need to fill you blog with something.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Dick will be fired after next year.

Would you rather have Dick go 4-12 in his last year or a new coach go 4-12 in his first year?

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey, Tom Landry got 7 years before he produced a winning record.

With how knee jerk some of you are, you woulda fired him long before he ever made the Cowboys a top franchise in the NFL.

billsfanone
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM

With how knee jerk some of you are, you woulda fired him long before he ever made the Cowboys a top franchise in the NFL.

Dick was a loser in Chicago too. HE'S A PROVEN LOSER!

topher180
12-31-2008, 12:14 PM

I don't think 3 years in knee jerk when Atlantas and Miamis occur in this league now. Agree to disagree.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Dick was a loser in Chicago too. HE'S A PROVEN LOSER!

Alright, then so was Tom Landry.

He produced a brilliant 0-11-1 record his first year as a coach...then it took 6 years for him to break .500.

I'm not saying that Dick is gonna ever do that...but firing the coach of this team and putting a new guy in is like putting a band aid on an open wound.

This team has far greater problems than it's HC.

acehole
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Would you rather have Dick go 4-12 in his last year or a new coach go 4-12 in his first year?

This is actually ponderous.....the answer is dick go 4-12...

A. There will be no doubt after that.

B. We will offically be in rebuild vs retool mode.

c. That will pave the way for a GM/coach type situation
that may intice one of the heavy hitters.

d. Stop the dicking with the qb postion and get a proven winner.

e. Scrap cover 2

f. Scrap the prevent offense.

g. Wait for the talent curv on the Pats and others to fade a bit more.

h. Fill in rest people

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM

A new coach, because Dick will go 4-12 in 09 and the new coach will go 4-12 in 2010. I'd rather have the new guy get his first worthless season out of the way now.

BillsNick
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Mike Shanahan sure would look good on our sideline, but noooooooooo. Let's not shake things up when we've already got "continuity".

Ingtar33
12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
A new coach, because Dick will go 4-12 in 09 and the new coach will go 4-12 in 2010. I'd rather have the new guy get his first worthless season out of the way now.

i don't know if we'd suffer like that under a new coach.

I've had two years to this point as head man, and we were 3 wins better last year... and 5 wins better (best record in a decade) this year.

It doesn't take a lot to turn around a poorly coached team. Given it's college, and a good part of your record is based on how well you can recruit; but when i saw how dysfunctional the team was managed when i came in, i knew i could turn it around fast.

For a large part i think the bills are fairly well coached. or at least competently coached.

-I dislike our defensive coordinator, his defense is so vanilla I'd love to coach against it; he really needs to go. Our front seven just isn't good enough (there are playoff teams with worse secondaries then ours, it's good enough if you mate it with a good front seven and solid coaching scheme)

-the offensive coordinator is better then our last one. But he fell into predictable tenancies. Really, your game plan shouldn't be 20 plays per game. yet it seemed that was what we went into every game with. We need a better TE, serviceable FB, an NFL quality center, and a good WR. I could live with Trent for a few years.

the main problem we face, when playing playoff teams is, we don't do anything good enough to make a team plan for us. When you see bad teams beat good teams, 9 times out of 10, it is a bad team that does one thing well and everything else terrible. Right now the only phase of our game that is good enough to make opposing coaches sweat is our special teams; which, while they're good, aren't good enough to win us games.

OpIv37
12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
i don't know if we'd suffer like that under a new coach.

I've had two years to this point as head man, and we were 3 wins better last year... and 5 wins better (best record in a decade) this year.

It doesn't take a lot to turn around a poorly coached team. Given it's college, and a good part of your record is based on how well you can recruit; but when i saw how dysfunctional the team was managed when i came in, i knew i could turn it around fast.

For a large part i think the bills are fairly well coached. or at least competently coached.

-I dislike our defensive coordinator, his defense is so vanilla I'd love to coach against it; he really needs to go. Our front seven just isn't good enough (there are playoff teams with worse secondaries then ours, it's good enough if you mate it with a good front seven and solid coaching scheme)

-the offensive coordinator is better then our last one. But he fell into predictable tenancies. Really, your game plan shouldn't be 20 plays per game. yet it seemed that was what we went into every game with. We need a better TE, serviceable FB, an NFL quality center, and a good WR. I could live with Trent for a few years.

the main problem we face, when playing playoff teams is, we don't do anything good enough to make a team plan for us. When you see bad teams beat good teams, 9 times out of 10, it is a bad team that does one thing well and everything else terrible. Right now the only phase of our game that is good enough to make opposing coaches sweat is our special teams; which, while they're good, aren't good enough to win us games.

the worst part about this is the front 7. Our two big off-season signings- Mitchell and Stroud, were both front 7 guys, plus all the guys we either drafted or resigned to be LB's or DL's- and it STILL sucks. That's just horrendous management.

Thurmal
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
The worst part is that I'm not even sure this is a "make or break" year.

I mean, Jesus; if they could bring Jauron back after this year, would it be totally surprising if they brought him back in 2010 if they go 7-8 or 8-8 next year?

billsfanone
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Good friggin question. What is exactly the make or break benchmark? 500?

Syderick
12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
It's what I figured when they retained him. It'll be his last year, they won't keep him around for 2010 and 2011 with another terrible record.

patmoran2006
12-31-2008, 02:43 PM

He produced a brilliant 0-11-1 record his first year as a coach...then it took 6 years for him to break .500.

I'm not saying that Dick is gonna ever do that...but firing the coach of this team and putting a new guy in is like putting a band aid on an open wound.

Did Tom Laundry ever oversee a squad that started out 4-0 and then finished in last place in the NFC east?

That answer would be no. Its no because no team has EVER in the history of the NFL started 4-0 and finished last.

That is, until the 2008 Bills came around.> Congrats Dick

Ingtar33
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
the worst part about this is the front 7. Our two big off-season signings- Mitchell and Stroud, were both front 7 guys, plus all the guys we either drafted or resigned to be LB's or DL's- and it STILL sucks. That's just horrendous management.

Mitchell was not an upgrade.

Stroud was the middle of our line was much better this year with Stroud and Williams then it was last year.

Losing Crowell hurt, as Ellison shouldn't be on the field.

And our ends looked terrible (Denney looked like an NFL quality backup, but not a starter... none of the rest of the ends were worth mentioning)

Simply put we need a bunch of real pass rushers. I could live with average pass rushers. Getting Schobel back will help, but we need more then him. Even Bruce Smith had help. Other then Schobel no one on this team can get to the quarterback.

we wonder why he wasn't getting sacks the last two years? Simply put no one else can even threaten a pass rush in this defense.

Luisito23
12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
The worst part is that I'm not even sure this is a "make or break" year.

I mean, Jesus; if they could bring Jauron back after this year, would it be totally surprising if they brought him back in 2010 if they go 7-8 or 8-8 next year?

Ralph has to get at least 2 years out of him in order to dump him for the next bum...So sadly unless we lose 14 or 15 games (which is not likely) DJ is here for a good while...:ill:

PECKERWOOD
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Atleast you know one thing, Dick Jauron and his coaching staff OFFICIALLY have a fire lighten up under their ass! Think about this for a second. A new coaching staff comes in, they have the next 3 years of good faith from the fans!

Luisito23
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Atleast you know one thing, Dick Jauron and his coaching staff OFFICIALLY have a fire lighten up under their ass!

Unless that fire comes from the owner, it means absolutely nothing bro...

TigerJ
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I uderstand that 90% of the Zone is pissed that Jauron is still the coach of the Bills. What I don't get is the vitriol directed at Chris Brown. He doesn't make the policies at One Bills Drive. He's basically a PR guy. While the "one year" de facto probation for Jauron is a no brainer at this point even though it isn't an official press release, Brown had to say it. He would have caught hell from fans and maybe his boss if he hadn't said something. The Bills know fans aren't too happy with the team right now. They also know that the decision to retain Jauron isn't going over very well with fans. They're hoping that the "borrowed time" concept earns them a litle patience from fans. Whether that works is up to y'all, or at least those of you who are season ticket holders. In any case, Brown did exactly what he was supposed to do. Even if he weren't on the Bills' payroll, as a reporter, if something is true you still report it, even if it is obvious. That's all Chris Brown did. So why are y'all ready to tar and feather the guy?

DynaPaul
12-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Jauron is freakin' doomed. Has Chris Brown even looked at the schedule? We're playing a lot of quality opponents and Brokeback Brady should be back at the helm in New England plus I expect the Dolphins to improve. The Jets will decline. It's not looking good. Even if Jauron somehow manages to squeak this team into the playoffs I still won't think he's a top coach.

DynaPaul
12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
So why are y'all ready to tar and feather the guy?

Because he's a paid PR spin doctor posing as a legitimate journalist. His latest column shows what the Bills staff has come up with as their new motto to sell tickets next year: "Just one more year of Jauron... we promise!"

MarvLevy
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Can we get Lebron James in 2010?

Ickybaluky
12-31-2008, 07:19 PM

However, Landry was taking over an expansion team as a first-time HC in a league with only 21 teams (so the talent wasn't as watered down) and no free agency. The lack of player movement really made it harder to turn things around.

That said, I agree that Jauron isn't as bad a coach as people make him out to be. I think he has coached in some awful situations in his career, and hasn't had front-office stability anywhere he coached. In Chicago he was never Jerry Angelo's guy, so it was only a matter of time before he got the boot. In Detriot, well... it was Detriot. Buffalo hasn't had a strong GM/front office since John Butler was shown the door.

Firing Jauron probably doesn't do any good. Buffalo needs someone to run the front office. Having Russ Brandon make football decisions or having Tom Modrak try to do it part-time while living elsewhere isn't going to work (although Modrak has a well-deserved reputation as a talent evaluator).

Mr. Pink
12-31-2008, 08:00 PM
However, Landry was taking over an expansion team as a first-time HC in a league with only 21 teams (so the talent wasn't as watered down) and no free agency. The lack of player movement really made it harder to turn things around.

That said, I agree that Jauron isn't as bad a coach as people make him out to be. I think he has coached in some awful situations in his career, and hasn't had front-office stability anywhere he coached. In Chicago he was never Jerry Angelo's guy, so it was only a matter of time before he got the boot. In Detriot, well... it was Detriot. Buffalo hasn't had a strong GM/front office since John Butler was shown the door.

Firing Jauron probably doesn't do any good. Buffalo needs someone to run the front office. Having Russ Brandon make football decisions or having Tom Modrak try to do it part-time while living elsewhere isn't going to work (although Modrak has a well-deserved reputation as a talent evaluator).

My sentiments exactly. Precisely.

Replacing Jauron with someone else makes no difference when your talent evaluators can find talent as well as you or I could find a needle in a haystack.

topher180
12-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Because he's a paid PR spin doctor posing as a legitimate journalist. His latest column shows what the Bills staff has come up with as their new motto to sell tickets next year: "Just one more year of Jauron... we promise!"

My point exactly. And it'd be okay if he wasn't claiming to be a journalist. Such a title denotes impartiality and reporting. All we get from this douche is spin, conjure, and fabricated news.

How can you defend a guy who writes how Steve Johnson is "emerging" after a 3 catch effort...a game Buffalo LOST? I'm glad he's on the team and at least one receiver is contributing from the draft last year, but "emerging"? Please.

Don't Panic
12-31-2008, 09:06 PM

Bravo, TD. Point well made.

TigerJ
12-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't have the sense that Chris Brown is claiming impartiality in his present position. He has admitted in some writings I have seen that he has limitations in what he is allowed to write. I never had any expectation even apart from the specific restrictions that Chris Brown is going to be impartial. He knows who signs his paycheck, and so does everyone else. It doesn't matter that he was once the Bills beat reporter for WGR radio. That was a different job. If he or the Bills were trying somehow to keep his relationship with the Bills a secret, I would be upset. I just don't feel like he's trying to deceive me.

By the way, I just heard Paul Peck as the sports anchor for WIVB TV say virtually the same thing, that the pressure has been turned up on Jauron and he must win in 2009.

FreeSafety36
01-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Guys don't be so sure Ralph will can DJ next year, regardless of what his record is. Notice everything in Chris Brown's blog starts with 'likely'. That's pure speculation on Brown's part. He's trying to spin it to the fans that Ralph is putting DJ on notice...yeah, right. Why should we believe that?

The coaching market is saturated with talent this year. Much better than any year I can remember off the top of my head, even without considering Cowher a possibility. In a year with such coaches available, if you were even halfway serious about firing your coach, why would you give the guy with a 57-77 record one more 'make or break' year?

I doubt Ralph fires DJ regardless of what happens. If Ralph still owns the team in 2011, I bet DJ's still screwing up games as head coach.

DynaPaul
01-01-2009, 07:51 AM
In a year with such coaches available, if you were even halfway serious about firing your coach, why would you give the guy with a 57-77 record one more 'make or break' year?

Because dumb ass Ralph already paid him for 3 more years of coaching.

Historian
01-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't have the sense that Chris Brown is claiming impartiality in his present position. He has admitted in some writings I have seen that he has limitations in what he is allowed to write. I never had any expectation even apart from the specific restrictions that Chris Brown is going to be impartial. He knows who signs his paycheck, and so does everyone else. It doesn't matter that he was once the Bills beat reporter for WGR radio. That was a different job. If he or the Bills were trying somehow to keep his relationship with the Bills a secret, I would be upset. I just don't feel like he's trying to deceive me.

By the way, I just heard Paul Peck as the sports anchor for WIVB TV say virtually the same thing, that the pressure has been turned up on Jauron and he must win in 2009.

He's Bechtold's Baghdad Bob.

BillsWin
01-01-2009, 05:50 PM

great post.

Throne Logic
01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Chris Brown is not hired as an objective journalist. He's a spokesman for the club, most likely on the marketing payroll. He's doing exactly what he was hired to do. Report on the team with positive spin.

In exchange, he gets all sorts of inside information on what's really happening. He might not be able to report on all of the details, but that's one cool position to be in.

I'd accept his job in a heart beat.

mayotm
01-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Chris Brown is not hired as an objective journalist. He's a spokesman for the club, most likely on the marketing payroll. He's doing exactly what he was hired to do. Report on the team with positive spin.

In exchange, he gets all sorts of inside information on what's really happening. He might not be able to report on all of the details, but that's one cool position to be in.

I'd accept his job in a heart beat.Exactly. All the posts ripping Chris Brown are pathetic. He is an employee of the Bills. I'm sure all the bad asses ripping Brown go around openly crticizing their employers. It's simple folks, if you don't enjoy Chris Brown, don't read his articles or blog.

justasportsfan
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

:rofl: 3 years is a knee jerk reaction? the only team to not make playoffs in this division in this decade is a knee jerk reaction? Going 0-6 in his 3rd year instead of doing better than his 1st 2 years is a knee jerk reaction?

Fans aren't going to spend money for 10 years to wait for Dick to win something even if we had a great economy.

Some fans like you can wait. I don't care if Dick takes us to the playoffs next year. He isn't good enough to win the sb.