PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons why we are better right now!!

HHURRICANE
01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Five reasons that the Bills are better without having to do a thing:

1) No JP Losman. JP obvioulsy struggled at the backup position and the Bills were forced to play him because of the vesting. In the end he couldn't win us a game. I think Hamden wins us the Jets game.

2) Wether you like or hate Turk the fact is that every coordinator needs at least a year to get his act together and get the team to buy into his system. Edwards struggled with some of the stuff and it cost us the Browns game.

3) McKelvin is star in the making. This guy will be burned alot but he is going to get his share of picks as well and maybe one of the more exciting guys in football.

4) Center. Even if we don't bring another player in and just resign Preston it would be an upgrade over the play of Fowler. The run game improved after Preston cemented the Center role.

5) Steve Johnson. This guy will be our #2 or #3 WR this year. Is he a star in the making? Who cares. If he catches 4-500 yards in passes next year that would be a huge upgrade over anything we've had in recent years.

ddaryl
01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
1.) we do not know what hamden woulda coulda shoulda done for us. But we all wanted to see what he could do

2.) We're going to find out one way or another...

3.) Who says he'll get burned alot... maybe maybe not.. but I agree he'll make some stuff happen. I beleive he'll tighten his game up to compliment his ability to make a play

4.) Disagree. If we do not upgrade the C positon we will continue our ineffective ways against 3-4 D's

5.) I hope he is.. he didn't get the opportunities he deserved last year, and it cost us

patmoran2006
01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Yer weird.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
You’ll write this post and later today follow it up with a thread on why ‘well never be good”<o:p></o:p>

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Yer weird.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You’ll write this post and later today follow it up with a thread on why ‘well never be good”<o:p></o:p>

Ummmmm......

Errr.......

Pat, I don't know how to say this.

I'll just put it this way - you have been known to flip-flop once or twice or a thousand times in the past.

Romes
01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Great but there are more than five places we need to improve in order for it to make a difference...

HHURRICANE
01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
<o:p></o:p>

READ!!!!

I didn't say anything more than we were better. Better doesn't have any other deep hidden meaning. It doesn't mean playoffs or Superbowl.

OP has you guys conditioned to either be negative or positive. It is possible to be both based on different aspects of the team.

HHURRICANE
01-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Great but there are more than five places we need to improve in order for it to make a difference...

Do you have 5 where we are worse? I don't. Unless the Peters thing spirals out of control, which I highly doubt, the team is in good shape in regards to FA.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Do you have 5 where we are worse? I don't. Unless the Peters thing spirals out of control, which I highly doubt, the team is in good shape in regards to FA.

I have one.

Pass rush.

jamze132
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Preston has the C position "locked down".

Romes
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM

OL, LB and DB depth could all take a hit this year. There are lots of current Bills hitting the market at those positions...especially, OL and LB. Stroud and our DE's are not getting any younger...

And also...everyone assumes positive development of players. Development of McKelvin and Johnson are moot points because if you assume positive development of young Bills players you also have to do that for other team's players, too.

lukabrossi
01-29-2009, 09:13 AM
i think yer wrong on all parts here.....and i ain't buyin into the hype.

Owen DeBoard
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah I got one we still have Jauron as our head coach and he definently will be worse with a very tough schedule this coming season.

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM

QB-Regardless of how much yuo hate JP, we have no proven veteran option behind him. With the way Edwards regressed last season, we are worse off at this position as of right now.

OC-We have nobody here since both players are current UFA, to say we are improved here is just a manifestation

DL-McCargo is a bust, Schobel is old and injury prone and Kelsay and Denney's numbers were down, we are worse off here.

CB-Greer is a UFA, losing him and putting McKelvin in no matter how much you think he's going to be a star is going to be some sort of drop off, maybe not for long but there will be one.

K-Lindell was shaky at best last year, we need an upgrade

WR-We have no real #2 WR and with Hardy out most, if not all, of next season that hurts his development.

There is 5. I could go on to mention our overall lack of depth at LB, OT, OG, or that we have no true FB, we still need a real FS and a guy to push Donte, but that would be a bit of overkill, dont ya think?

Typ0
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
there is no way we are worse at QB because JP is gone. We have to hire someone so there is at least a chance we are better at that position. Since he sucked I'd say there is at least a 80% chance we get someone better at backup and that might even be TE. An 80% chance of being better (or even a 1% chance) is better than guaranteed incompetence. That's not hate either it's just the facts.

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
there is no way we are worse at QB because JP is gone. We have to hire someone so there is at least a chance we are better at that position. Since he sucked I'd say there is at least a 80% chance we get someone better at backup and that might even be TE. An 80% chance of being better (or even a 1% chance) is better than guaranteed incompetence. That's not hate either it's just the facts.

No that's basically made up statistics that you pulled out of thin air really.

The fact is that JP knows the offense, he knows the entire playbook, he knows the personell. He knows the timing with the WR's already and where the weak points are in his line. Any vet or rookie coming in won't know that, we will be worse off till they learn that stuff.

Those are called facts not some random percentage you pulled out of thin air.

ddaryl
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
QB-Regardless of how much yuo hate JP, we have no proven veteran option behind him. With the way Edwards regressed last season, we are worse off at this position as of right now.

EDWARDS DID NOT REGRESS... He had a rough patch and most of the team play like crap around him. I thought he played well at the end of the season, and actually played well in a few of our losses too.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width="8%">YEAR</TD><TD align=left width="8%">TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>CMP</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>RAT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>151</TD><TD>269</TD><TD>56.1</TD><TD>1630</TD><TD>6.1</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>70.4</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>245</TD><TD>374</TD><TD>65.5</TD><TD>2699</TD><TD>7.2</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>85.4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

We are no way worse off at the QB position. A solid vet will pick up the O quick enough... See Leftwich for the Steelers.
I'm really surprised you feel this way because from what I can tell you seem educated on football player subjects. On this one it may be your opinion about Edwards, but the stats say something completely different. If Edwards doesn't suffer the concussion, and Josh Reed doesn't get injured he would have had a better season then he did IMO.

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
EDWARDS DID NOT REGRESS... He had a rough patch and most of the team play like crap around him. I thought he played well at the end of the season, and actually played well in a few of our losses too.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width="8%">YEAR</TD><TD align=left width="8%">TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>CMP</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>RAT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>151</TD><TD>269</TD><TD>56.1</TD><TD>1630</TD><TD>6.1</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>70.4</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>245</TD><TD>374</TD><TD>65.5</TD><TD>2699</TD><TD>7.2</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>85.4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

We are no way worse off at the QB position. I'm really surprised you feel this way because from what I can tell you seem educated on football player subjects. On this one it may be your opinion about Edwards, but the stats say something completely different. If Edwards doesn't suffer the concussion, and Josh Reed doesn't get injured he would have had a better season then he did IMO.

Stats mean very little compared to what was visible on the field. Pre concussion he looked like a pro bowl QB, post concussion he looked scared, timid and didnt to step into some of his throws when faced with pressure. Thats the regression Im talking about not from 07 to 08.

ddaryl
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I disagree... look at the individual game stats and you will see that Edwards played better in 2008 then 2007. I also base my disagreement by what I saw on the field. Yes Edwards had to overcome some problems that you mentioned, but I feel by the end of the season he had done just that. That is a positive in my outlook

Much of the blame for Edwards slump can be thrown towards our OC, OL, running game and injuries.

I just do not see an argument for regression. Staying healthy is a debate for Edwards...

yordad
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM

1) No JP Losman. JP obvioulsy struggled at the backup position and the Bills were forced to play him because of the vesting. In the end he couldn't win us a game. I think Hamden wins us the Jets game.

2) Wether you like or hate Turk the fact is that every coordinator needs at least a year to get his act together and get the team to buy into his system. Edwards struggled with some of the stuff and it cost us the Browns game.

3) McKelvin is star in the making. This guy will be burned alot but he is going to get his share of picks as well and maybe one of the more exciting guys in football.

4) Center. Even if we don't bring another player in and just resign Preston it would be an upgrade over the play of Fowler. The run game improved after Preston cemented the Center role.

5) Steve Johnson. This guy will be our #2 or #3 WR this year. Is he a star in the making? Who cares. If he catches 4-500 yards in passes next year that would be a huge upgrade over anything we've had in recent years. 1). So, last years #3, is now suddenly better then last years #2? Doubt it
2). I have heard this all before, and a case can be made for "either ya got it, or ya don't".
3). One step at a time man.
4). Huh? Preston did start. I don't know how Preston is an upgrade from Preston. And, we lose his backup in a month. Any of these guys' names and "upgrade" don't belong together.
5). I see some skill. But then again, I seen it in Jackson and Greer (when it took the staff a few years to notice) and McCargo. Again, I will believe it when I see it. NTM, Reed had about 600 yards last year.

Mahdi
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
No that's basically made up statistics that you pulled out of thin air really.

The fact is that JP knows the offense, he knows the entire playbook, he knows the personell. He knows the timing with the WR's already and where the weak points are in his line. Any vet or rookie coming in won't know that, we will be worse off till they learn that stuff.

Those are called facts not some random percentage you pulled out of thin air.
Were not going to be worse off next year at QB ....

We wont be worse because although JP had familiarity with the system he was not comfortable with it and it did not suit him at all. JP needs to be in a Mike Shanahan type of offense that relies heavily on the run and play action. JP looked lost on the field and did not know where or when to make his reads and check downs. It will not be difficult to find a QB that is a better fit for the system and will instantly be an upgrade over Losman.

That being said I dont see us being too much better either...Im still iffy on Trent. Since day one I have hated his release and it hasnt changed, it was the same before the concussion as it was after. The difference is that defenses adjusted to what he likes and always does and he wasn't able to adjust. Trent will not be a successful QB in the league if he doesnt learn to put his shoulder into his throws and step in to them.

And just to point out, when we were winning in the first few games Trent was short arming everything it just worked because defenses werent ready for it.

yordad
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Do you have 5 where we are worse? I don't. Unless the Peters thing spirals out of control, which I highly doubt, the team is in good shape in regards to FA.Yes, easy. And some are the same positions you mentioned.
1. DEs getting older
2. No centers under contract
3. Only have last years #1 and #3 QB
4. Losing Greer
5. Pending Peters holdout
6. Haven't re-signed Jackson yet
7. Simpson regressed
8. Lindell seems shaky
9. Jauron has been extended
10. Ralph bought a new hyperbaric chamber.

madness
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

5) Steve Johnson. This guy will be our #2 or #3 WR this year. Is he a star in the making? Who cares. If he catches 4-500 yards in passes next year that would be a huge upgrade over anything we've had in recent years.

I agree with everything but #4 with which I strongly disagree with. Fowler AND Preston are career backups. I'd like for us to pick up a vet FA, re-sign Preston to a backup role and select a C in the draft to groom.

HHURRICANE
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree with everything but #4 with which I strongly disagree with. Fowler AND Preston are career backups. I'd like for us to pick up a vet FA, re-sign Preston to a backup role and select a C in the draft to groom.

Ohh, I agree Preston needs to be improved. I'm just saying that we are better without Fowler.

The Bills will be upgrading Center for sure.

HHURRICANE
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM

OC-We have nobody here since both players are current UFA, to say we are improved here is just a manifestation

DL-McCargo is a bust, Schobel is old and injury prone and Kelsay and Denney's numbers were down, we are worse off here.

CB-Greer is a UFA, losing him and putting McKelvin in no matter how much you think he's going to be a star is going to be some sort of drop off, maybe not for long but there will be one.

WR-We have no real #2 WR and with Hardy out most, if not all, of next season that hurts his development.

There is 5. I could go on to mention our overall lack of depth at LB, OT, OG, or that we have no true FB, we still need a real FS and a guy to push Donte, but that would be a bit of overkill, dont ya think?

I'm not sure how a backup going 0-4 and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the Jets is going to be missed.

GreedoII
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM

Enough of Hamdan. This guy is a scrub. Why are people so high on this clown? He's no better than a back up for a high school team....enough!

Ingtar33
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM

JP was 0-2 in his starts, and 0-4 in the games he played.

you can't get worse out of your backup.

Oaf
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM

1. If Trent plays like we need him to or like he should, this isn't a factor. Besides, like you know that Hamdan is better than Losman. Jets game was meaningless anyways except for draft position and it was good to see everything BUT Losman was competitive. Any difference b/w the two at this point is marginal at best.

2. Here's more of the "2nd year's the charm!" mentality we've seen so much the last few seasons. McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Schouman, Edwards sure made great strides their 2nd year. To be fair, Lynch was dominant in year 1 too.

3. Star in the making.* (at KR) he's got a lot of work to do

4. Preston was the worst starting lineman in football last year. Bar none. Even Fowler. Couldn't hold up against DTs in pass protection and rarely could push people in the run game.

5. 4-500 yards? Josh Reed?

:::

Oaf
01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
One reason I think we ARE better is because we signed Bob Sanders for DL.

TigerJ
01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
It's possible that we'll be better, but the Bills will suffer one significant loss (probably) this off-season. Jabari Greer will most likely sign elsewhere. I like McKelvin, but like it or not, the guys behind McGee and McKelvin will be a cut lower in quality. Then there is always the possibility of injury.

You are right, however. The Bills are better off truning the page on JP Losman and Melvin Fowler. Buffalo does need to bring in an upgrade over Preston. As has been widely observed, they also need to upgrade the defensive end spot. Schobel was ineffective before his injury and he's another year older now. I don't see him ever being the player again that he was a few years ago, and even then he tended to be streaky, getting a lot of his sacks when they were not that critical.

Nighthawk
01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
We still will be outcoached in every game that is played next year.

ParanoidAndroid
01-29-2009, 10:39 PM

QB - points have been made. We can't be worse there.

OC - Where is Preston going? I doubt anywhere. The only way he does is if we flat out refuse to sign him. He was better than Fowler. Wash.

DL - How are any of those things different than this past year. Schoebel being healthy makes it better than most of last year.

CB - I think it's a reach to say we're noticeably worse if McKelvin starts. If you want to say we aren't as deep, then that would be legit.

K - No change. Another stretch.

WR - How are we worse without Hardy?

tat2dmike77
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
1) Labatt Blue
2) Yuengling
3) Shiner Bock
4) Kileans
5) Labatt Blue Light