PDA

View Full Version : I know alot can happen between now and then but maybe the Pats are...

X-Era
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Starting to unravel...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e986e8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Cassel has been franchised!

Thats absolutely hillarious.

Id love for them to have to eat the tag money on him... 14+ mill

Maybe the Bills just caught a break.

Slim
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2788222&postcount=14

SquishDaFish
02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Im sorry thats not bad news. They are going to end up trading him for a #1 and maybe more. Which ends up helping them

X-Era
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Im sorry thats not bad news. They are going to end up trading him for a #1 and maybe more. Which ends up helping them

Thats just not going to happen.

Favre bring a conditional pick that ended up being a 3rd but Cassel gets a 1st?

Thats nuts... theres just no way.

PECKERWOOD
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry, they got Tom Brady ---- even at 75% he is an A+ QB.

I hate him cause he plays for the Patriots but I would love him if he played for Buffalo.. 1st ballot HOF, hands down.. Patriots are just fine.

chubluv
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
If no one trades for Cassel. The pats will have Brady at 8+ mil next year, and Cassel at 14.5 mil. I bet thaT Will go over well in the locker room that the back up is making 6 mil more then the starter.

X-Era
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
If no one trades for Cassel. The pats will have Brady at 8+ mil next year, and Cassel at 14.5 mil. I bet thaT Will go over well in the locker room that the back up is making 6 mil more then the starter.

I bet they are trying to be sleezy somehow.

I wonder if they can slap the tag on it and then pull it back before the player has to officially sign it. That way, the other QB's get signed and there wont be money out there for Cassel. They then simply resign him at a low rate.

Its a classic Pats sleeze ball maneuver.

LtFinFan66
02-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Thats just not going to happen.

Favre bring a conditional pick that ended up being a 3rd but Cassel gets a 1st?

Thats nuts... theres just no way.two firsts actually and that's a fact

HAMMER
02-06-2009, 08:50 PM
If I had a dollar for everytime some maroon predicted the demise of the Patriots I'd be closing in on Bill Gates.

X-Era
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM
two firsts actually and that's a fact
The only fact is that it wont happen.

NO team will give up two 1st, NONE, NOT ONE.

Cassel is worth about a 3rd and thats being generous IMO.

SquishDaFish
02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Id bet they get at least one 1st pick if they trade him

BSXIII
02-07-2009, 01:00 AM
All things considered, Cassel had an amazing season, and there will be a lot of teams interested in him. I remember people referring to JP Losman as a "Virtual Rookie" during his third season here due to a lack of playing time. By those same standards Cassel was a virtual "College Freshman" this past season.

In his limited playing time during the 2007 season and this past preseason, he was awful. In his first few games this year, he didn't look much better. Once he was forced into real action, he quickly shook the rust off and made some huge strides. Sure he played with a great offense, but his week to week improvements were still off the charts.

He has all the physical tools needed in a QB. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than Tom Brady. Not saying that makes him better overall QB by any means, but he certainly has the physical tools of a first round draft choice. He also showed this past year that he can manage a game. If he can improve at a clip anything close to what he did this past year, he will be an elite QB for years to come.

At the very least, he has proven he can run a great offense at a very high level. He certainly won't be a liability wherever he ends up, which is more than can be said about most first round QBs these days.

Typ0
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
maybe this is further indication that Brady's injury is very serious and possibly his career is in jeopardy and the pats are making sure they have some consistency at QB at least.

Typ0
02-07-2009, 12:24 PM
honestly, this guarantees him the salary of a top 5 nfl QB. He's not worth that and no one is going to give him that contract to trade for him. The PATS did not do this with a trade in mind.

Pinkerton Security
02-07-2009, 12:49 PM

if you read the other posts you'd know that you get 2 firsts for trading a player who is franchised.

X-Era
02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
if you read the other posts you'd know that you get 2 firsts for trading a player who is franchised.

No, thats not the deal.

The Pats get 2 1sts if someone makes an offer that Cassel accepts and the Pats decide not to match.

The Pats have his rights. They can trade him for a used jockstrap if they like.

Just because he has been franchised doesnt mean they only way he gets traded is 2 first rounders, its that that is the only way the Pats are forced to trade him.

X-Era
02-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Nope, I dont even see a 2nd rounder. Its my opinion, but no not even a 2nd rounder... Its pretty much a 3rd at best.

justasportsfan
02-07-2009, 01:20 PM
we are definitely in a better situation than the pats at the qb position . I laugh at them.

/sarcasm

CuseJetsFan83
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
No, thats not the deal.

The Pats get 2 1sts if someone makes an offer that Cassel accepts and the Pats decide not to match.

The Pats have his rights. They can trade him for a used jockstrap if they like.

Just because he has been franchised doesnt mean they only way he gets traded is 2 first rounders, its that that is the only way the Pats are forced to trade him.

in essence the patriots not matching would be a trade, which is due 2 first rounders for a franchised tagged player.

they won't trade him away for nothing, i can tell you that.

someone will pick him up, or they will restructure marcia's contract to make him have more than cassel

CuseJetsFan83
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
we are definitely in a better situation than the pats at the qb position . I laugh at them.

/sarcasm

same here..

hell, i don't think the jets have any qb's
and one of the ones still technically on our team still has a 4 game suspension for the steroids

SquishDaFish
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM

If you would know the NFL rules this statement is false. Only get 2 frsts if someone signed him to an offersheet and NE doesnt match it. They can trade him for anything they wish while hes franchised

lukabrossi
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
i remember saying that Cassel would be franchised........and everybody laughed at me.
....rot in hell.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
02-07-2009, 05:37 PM

I hate him cause he plays for the Patriots but I would love him if he played for Buffalo.. 1st ballot HOF, hands down.. Patriots are just fine.

I'd neg you just for being right , but that would not be fair to you so I am metaphoricly negging the Pats for you being right :)

DynaPaul
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Tom Brady would totally suck donkey balls on another team and would look like the lower round draft pick that he was.

Owen DeBoard
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Tom Brady would totally suck donkey balls on another team and would look like the lower round draft pick that he was.:goodpost:

mybills
02-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Starting to unravel...
:nod:

trapezeus
02-08-2009, 09:00 AM
i think the pats will be ok next year. however, you can't shrug off that cassel is getting top 5 QB money, and perhaps brady isn't for this year. it is interesting that brady's contract never got a lot of attention in terms of most money ever labels in the press.

to have that much money in two guys suggests that the pats may not be able to get everyone they want onto their team.

And i would love to see karma repaid to brady with belichick dismissing his vet for a young guy with little to no interest.

Also, it would be crazy to think that brady was responsible for both the epic climb for the pats and the demise. Those would be two nice book ends for brady's career.

X-Era
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Some may think Im wrong about the potential impact for the Pats, but Adam Shefter seems to agree with my way of thinking too. :

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/07/cassel-likely-to-remain-in-new-england/

X-Era
02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, heres some more leading evidence for to help make my point:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/11/cassel-commitment-has-ripple-effect/

Mr. Pink
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Every year now some fool gets the ridiculous idea the Pats are unravelling. And every year what happens? Same old, same old.

We won't beat them and they'll vie or walk away with the division title.

Franchising Cassel is an insurance policy in case Brady isn't healthy enough to go.

X-Era
02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Every year now some fool gets the ridiculous idea the Pats are unravelling. And every year what happens? Same old, same old.

We won't beat them and they'll vie or walk away with the division title.

Franchising Cassel is an insurance policy in case Brady isn't healthy enough to go.

Im no fool, thanks

Mr. Pink
02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Im no fool, thanks

If you think the Patriots are unraveling, you are.

X-Era
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
If you think the Patriots are unraveling, you are.
How about observing the TOS... its no wonder that your so far in the red

SquishDaFish
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
You are NUTS thinking the Pats are going down after franchising Cassel

X-Era
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
You are NUTS thinking the Pats are going down after franchising Cassel

Unraveling is a process not a switch

Jeff1220
02-13-2009, 10:26 AM
$14.65 million?

...for a QB who didn't even get his team to the playoffs? :snicker2:

Mr. Pink
02-14-2009, 09:31 AM
How about observing the TOS... its no wonder that your so far in the red

Calling people fools for overexagerating and having ridiculous ideas is a TOS now? OK! If you say so buddy.

And about the rep, I got two words...

TOOOOO BRASKY!

LtFinFan66
02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
How about observing the TOS... its no wonder that your so far in the redhe is in the red because he asked to be put there

X-Era
02-14-2009, 11:47 AM
he is in the red because he asked to be put there

I dont think name calling is appropriate.

The thought is not foolish at all. The national media is also saying the same thing. Its a reasonable thought, paying 20+ mill for 2 QB's when one sits the bench will have affects on the teams ability to keep talent.

Thats a fact.